Eric Mussleman | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Eric Mussleman

Reaction Score
I admit I have to look into a few of those guys a bit more. Hurley is the one that seems like a no brainer.

Yes, he'd be my clear #1. But those other names are interesting. Even Crean. He took an absolutely decrepit Indiana situation and got them to be a 27+ win team three times in five years. He was able to bring in a lot of talent, but definitely underachieved. We could do much, much worse than him and not that this should be a plus, but his hire would be far more exciting nationally than anyone besides Hurley. There would be interest in Tom Crean being the new coach at UConn.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Yes, he'd be my clear #1. But those other names are interesting. Even Crean. He took an absolutely decrepit Indiana situation and got them to be a 27+ win team three times in five years. He was able to bring in a lot of talent, but definitely underachieved. We could do much, much worse than him and not that this should be a plus, but his hire would be far more exciting nationally than anyone besides Hurley. There would be interest in Tom Crean being the new coach at UConn.

Crean would seem to be a nice guy to rebuild the brand. But probably not gonna win #5 under him. He seems like CBB's version of Steve Mariucci.

Reaction Score
I like Hurley then Crean. Hurley shows we have hiring power and therefore, cache.

Crean has learned some things from his stint at IU. He believes in getting good athletes with strong fundamentals over great athletes. He knows how to put together a good team and coach on both ends. I wouldn’t be surprised if his star rises again in his next gig. He got humbled but word is he’s dying for redemption.

Reaction Score
Sad how UConn basketball focus is no longer on winning but on "rebuilding the brand"... A friggin college, not a pro-sports team... It's like folks are saying forget about the entire college experience, just get the $$$... doggone shame...

From Tate George's shot when I was on campus to this.. after winning a National Championship only 4 years ago... Doggone shame...

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I know saying Hurley is a "sexy" name to throw around but before I go ahead and even consider it I need to see if his team can do anything against national competition outside their league. They are 2-3 vs any name teams, beating PeeCee, and Seton Hall (at Barclays Ctr where Seton Hall completely went cold and gave the game away) and losses to UVA, Nevada and Alabama.
They are awesome vs their league this year BUT is the A-10 that strong? URI and St Bonnies are only teams even sniffing NCAA bids.
We'll see.............................................
Crean is a huge NO I have a few IU friends and he was a total train wreck even when he had some success. His players thought he was a strange cookie once he started coaching. NO NO NO The guy has zero credibility, a big name coach like him should be on ESPN but look where he ends up.
As I said on numerous occasions, the AAC is going to limit the choices considerably, the conference takes a back seat to all P5 and the NBE. Establish coaches will turn their heads and the up and coming will look at the league and wonder if a stubbed toe while trying to recruit will kill their future.
This situation that UConn was forced into is a growing nightmare.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You could do way worse than Crean. His fanbase was quick to turn on him publicly, which hurt his recruiting, but oddly enough he’s gotten much more love since his firing. I think people realized he actually accomplished a lot despite the higher expectations.

I still find the weird things (i.e. kissing your teenage son on the lips or constantly starting into space mouth open) to be detrimental because you don’t want your HC to be a constant source of jokes. It definitely played into Crean struggling to recruit in his later years at Indiana.

Otzelberger is a very promising young offensive minded coach. He is a huge space and pace, 3 ball guy. I would prefer to see what he can do without his inherited superstar player Mike Daum, though.

Hurley still is the best fit. He knows how to recruit the northeast, he’s rebuilt a program once before, he’s a great defensive coach, and he’s also only 45.

Reaction Score
Sad how UConn basketball focus is no longer on winning but on "rebuilding the brand"... A friggin college, not a pro-sports team... It's like folks are saying forget about the entire college experience, just get the $$$... doggone shame...

From Tate George's shot when I was on campus to this.. after winning a National Championship only 4 years ago... Doggone shame...

It's about making us relevant again. Crean has been a very successful coach; final four appearance, big winner, etc. Is he strange? Yes. Was the end of his Indiana run pretty terrible, sure. But if he is the hire, it immediately puts us back into the conversation if for no other reason than his previous success. I'd rather hire a younger, up-and-coming guy like the SDST guy, but that hire is not one that will have the talking heads, talking.

Reaction Score
It's about making us relevant again. Crean has been a very successful coach; final four appearance, big winner, etc. Is he strange? Yes. Was the end of his Indiana run pretty terrible, sure. But if he is the hire, it immediately puts us back into the conversation if for no other reason than his previous success. I'd rather higher a younger, up-and-coming guy like the SDST guy, but that hire is not one that will have the talking heads, talking.
Cool, all Crean needs to do is find another Dwyane Wade.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Cool, all Crean needs to do is find another Dwyane Wade.

Did he also recruit Dipo?

Plus Zeller.

That's 3 top 5 NBA picks.

Reaction Score
I have a friend who is an IU grad and every bit as fanatical about the Hoosiers as the most rabid Boneyarder is about the Huskies. He cannot say enough bad things about Crean and grows livid at the mention of his name. Indiana spent nine years in the wilderness under Crean with just four trips to the Dance to show for it. And it took Crean until his fourth year to get in for the first time. Under him, IU never made it past the Sweet 16. In 2012 Indiana was preseason #1, #1 in their tournament bracket, and got thumped by Nosepicker Boeheim and the Orangemen.

No Crean, please.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I'm all in for Hurley, but if for some reason that doesn't happen, I think retaining Ollie should get more consideration (assuming Jalen returns and no other transfers/decommits) as opposed to the other guys mentioned, especially Crean. I'm not too familiar with anybody besides Hurley, but we have to make sure we get the "right coach," not just a different coach.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I have a friend who is an IU grad and every bit as fanatical about the Hoosiers as the most rabid Boneyarder is about the Huskies. He cannot say enough bad things about Crean and grows livid at the mention of his name. Indiana spent nine years in the wilderness under Crean with just four trips to the Dance to show for it. And it took Crean until his fourth year to get in for the first time. Under him, IU never made it past the Sweet 16. In 2012 Indiana was preseason #1, #1 in their tournament bracket, and got thumped by Nosepicker Boeheim and the Orangemen.

No Crean, please.

Let's be fair though, the "took Crean until his fourth year to get in for the first time" fact is because he literally had nobody for two full years after the Sampson fallout. He was starting multiple walk-ons for a couple of years. He obviously underachieved a great deal after given the talent level. As I said, Crean would not be my first choice; but I'd rather have someone established who has won at some level than an untested P5 assistant or someone who is at a low D1.

Reaction Score
If Ollie is gone UCONN must make the right hire. Their is only one shot and none of the options are Slam Dunks...

Take a year and shop for the right guy while KO has a year of Chill recruits...

This decision on a Coach is as big if not bigger than when JC was hired. The wrong guy and we are TOAST!!!!

Reaction Score
Yup and if KO is here next year, hopefully Akinjo is Bazz.
Freshman year Bazz or senior year Bazz? Asking for a friend who is trying to gauge your delusion.

Reaction Score
Freshman year Bazz or senior year Bazz? Asking for a friend who is trying to gauge your delusion.

The answer's obvious, no? However, if you're telling me that Akinjo will be freshmen Bazz I'd be freakin' ecstatic. Just replying to the snark that Crean only won b/c he had DWade. We could use any coach and make that same argument.

Reaction Score
I'd rather have someone established who has won at some level than an untested P5 assistant or someone who is at a low D1.

Like Paul Pasqualoni?

We can't afford to miss on the next hire. It's far too likely that Crean's ceiling is mediocrity.

Reaction Score
Like Paul Pasqualoni?

We can't afford to miss on the next hire. It's far too likely that Crean's ceiling is mediocrity.

Very fair comp. I personally believe that Crean is on a different level than PP but it is a very fair point. And yes, we absolutely cannot miss on this. As I said, Crean would be about my #7 on the list. But I would be okay with him if some of the younger, more up-and-coming guys (Hurley, Lottich, SDSt guy) go P5; and I'd imagine they'd all get offers of some sort.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Cream
Hurley
Anthony Grant
Otzelberger
Lottich
Are some of the other names
Hurley: The clear No. 1 choice. I hope we get him.

Grant: A mediocre (at best) coach who's won 1 NCAA tournament game in 9 years. Would be an awful hire.

Otzelberger: Looks like an inventive young coach but he has 1.5 years of head coaching experience and has no east coast lineage.

Lottich: Fun young coach who, like, Otzelberger, has only 1.5 years on the sideline. Valpo's awful this year btw.

The other names that are actually interesting, besides Hurley & Musselman:

-----------

Pat Kelsey (Winthrop – age 42): Took a struggling team and in 2 years turned them into the class of the Big South. Played and assistant coached at Xavier, and assistant coached at Wake Forest as well, so he's got high-level recruiting cred in areas we care about. Memorably flipped UMass the bird last year after he'd agreed to coach them.

Pat Skerry (Towson - age 48): Has turned Towson, of all places, into a consistent winner. They're a good bet to post their third straight 20-win season, and fourth in five years. When he took over in 2011/12 they were the worst team in the world, going 1-31. They won 18 games the next season before starting on this current run of 20-win seasons. Has yet to make it to the NCAA tourney but he's resurrected the dead down there, and has Big East recruiting experience with both Providence and Pitt. He's a native of Medford.

Earl Grant (Charleston - age 41): Has rebuilt that program after Wojcik nearly ruined it. They went 9-24 in his first year, but have now posted three straight winning seasons including back-to-back 20+ win years. Seems like a real basketball intellect – his teams play smart – and has background as a high-level recruiter with both Wichita State and Clemson.

John Becker (Vermont - age 49): Took over in 2011/12 and has turned the Catamounts into the class of that league, with seven straight 20-win seasons. That includes two NCAA tourney trips (and one win) and two trips to the CBI semifinals. He's an elite offensive coach, as they net out at 20th overall in the Kenpom rankings. They're 11-0 in conference play this year and are prohibitive favorites to win the league. Only blemish is he's never recruited at a high level. He's from Fairfield.

Joe Dooley (FGCU - age 52): Failed with ECU back in the '90s when he was the youngest head coach in college hoops, but he's been awesome with FGCU. They've posted their 5th straight 20-win season, are unbeaten in conference play and are favorites to make a third straight NCAA tourney appearance. He's from the northeast and has deep recruiting ties here, including at the highest levels – he was an assistant at Kansas for a decade, including with their national championship team.

-----------------------

If it's not Hurley it's a fair bet that our next coach will be one of those five guys.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Just realize if this goes down and KO is fired that we are on the hook for some serious cheese for the new HC... Can't be frugal... and can't go find another Bob Diaco type either... Gotta be a name, that can recruit... A guy that, IMO, makes the most sense, but we probably don't have a shot at at this point, unless we pay him handsomely, is UConn's own Steve Pikiell...

Ship already sailed. He just reupped with Rutgers for another 5 years. Guaranteed $15mil. Hefty buyout. UCONN would effectively have to pony up $20m minimum to attract him, leaving aside the KO buyout.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom