Eric Cobb Comparison | The Boneyard

Eric Cobb Comparison

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Wanted to toss this one out that I thought of this morning...Hilton Armstrong 2006? Obviously that'd be best case, but this remind anyone else of that? I'd say Eric isn't as good a rebounder but will be able to do more offensively inside because he's more muscular.

Also would love to get an official Hilton Unit measurement.

zls44

Reaction Score
Hilton Armstrong was a top 15 draft pick...let’s not do this.

Oh yeah, I'm talking like very poor man's Hilton here. Hurley talked about Cobb having a future pro career tho so idk

Reaction Score
Wanted to toss this one out that I thought of this morning...Hilton Armstrong 2006? Obviously that'd be best case, but this remind anyone else of that? I'd say Eric isn't as good a rebounder but will be able to do more offensively inside because he's more muscular.

Maybe Toraino Walker. Similar build and height and I remember him having his showcase at MSG during the Big East Tournament. Toraino Walker had more ups though. I guess you could call him Eric Hayward except he doesn't have the long arms. His game isn't anything like Hilton Armstrong and he isn't a 4 year player. Hilton actually played some good d with blocks too due to his length.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh yeah, I'm talking like very poor man's Hilton here. Hurley talked about Cobb having a future pro career tho so idk

Every d1 player can go pro overseas in some capacity. rj evans played in the UK. Tyler Olander did until he hurt his foot.

Reaction Score
You can have a pro career all over the world. In no way was Hurley referring to the NBA.

Reaction Score
not a great comparison. Hilton was bigger and stiffer. Cobb smaller more mobile game

Reaction Score
I like the Kirk king comparison I was thinking adrien , but adrien was way more bullish

Reaction Score
Reminds me of the Old Pitt team when they had all this beef. He will most likely play pro somewhere if he stays in shape. Nice story so far.

Reaction Score
It's too soon to know, he's barely played D1 BB the last few years. Come April if he averaged 12 & 9 for 30 plus games who knows maybe an NBA team invites him to camp but he'll definitely get paid to play somewhere.

I just hope he continues to improve and gives us a sold inside presence all year.

Reaction Score
Anyone notice cobb and the corn-fed white boy #55 get into it a few times? I thought Cobb generally held his own. Ended up with a few less points, but he seemed more effecient on the block. Definitely passed better.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

He'll have a future pro career...in Finland.

He's actually looked smoother and less mechanical on offense than Hilton. But HA's rebounding and shot-blocking were excellent by the time he graduated.

Reaction Score
I don't think we have a good comparison for him. The height/build is reminiscent of Toriano Walker, but he didn't necessarily have the offensive tools that Cobb is now showing. We haven't had many undersized 5s with big bodies and not tons of vertical and some offensive skills.

The key is he's playing great, and if he's able to play at this level -- and hopefully learn a little more D, that's a weapon I didn't foresee having when the season started.

Reaction Score

Hilton Armstrong was a top 15 draft pick...let’s not do this.
Both silly, if you ask me. Hilton was a senior, for one thing, so that's not a good comparison. Second, he was long and lean and I don't know that I ever saw the space eating rebound / putback ability Cobb has shown in the two games at MSG.

Second, sure, Hilton was a top 15 pick. And did virtually nothing in the NBA. He did have a decent career as a backup, averaging 11.6 minutes over 7 seasons. But you can do that as an undrafted free agent, so saying you can't compare someone to Armstrong because that would mean they'd be worthy of a mid first round pick in the NBA draft is a bit fallacious.

I'll say this much - Eric Cobb seems to have more potential as a sophomore than Hilton Armstrong did.

zls44

Reaction Score
I like the Gavin Edwards comp

It's nice being able to be logically irrational again.

Reaction Score
Both silly, if you ask me. Hilton was a senior, for one thing, so that's not a good comparison. Second, he was long and lean and I don't know that I ever saw the space eating rebound / putback ability Cobb has shown in the two games at MSG.

Second, sure, Hilton was a top 15 pick. And did virtually nothing in the NBA. He did have a decent career as a backup, averaging 11.6 minutes over 7 seasons. But you can do that as an undrafted free agent, so saying you can't compare someone to Armstrong because that would mean they'd be worthy of a mid first round pick in the NBA draft is a bit fallacious.

I'll say this much - Eric Cobb seems to have more potential as a sophomore than Hilton Armstrong did.
Cobb is a senior.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom