Eric Bossi Class of 2019 Power Forwards | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Eric Bossi Class of 2019 Power Forwards

Reaction Score
0% chance.
wawlVea.gif

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Chief00 doesn’t think we sit back and wait - we also would be working on Plan B and C for the swing forward.
Quite frankly, if we miss out on Precious but have powerful 4 and 5’s for rebounding and interior defense - we could also go the three guard route and get the other big scorer that way.

Don't forget we have Sid and Polley on the wings already. Not worried about the 3. Precious is icing on the cake--very, very good icing, but still.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sheesh. We are not moving on from Precious unless and until he moves on from us. If we end up with Kofi, Akok and the two guards we have and miss on Precious, it's still a great class and you take the best transfer you can after you've lost on him and have one more slot for next year.

No need for a transfer. I don't think anybody would want to come anyway, as we'd be stocked at every position.

We got Sid and Polley on the wing atm, so we're all set there.

Reaction Score
Don't forget we have Sid and Polley on the wings already. Not worried about the 3. Precious is icing on the cake--very, very good icing, but still.

I'd love to see Polley develop, but based on last year there is no reason to think we are going to be a ranked team with him as a starter. And if Wilson hasn't immediately pushed him aside, while his upside is huge same there. The thought that Precious would only be icing on the cake -- as opposed to a much, much better cake -- I don't understand.

Reaction Score
No need for a transfer. I don't think anybody would want to come anyway, as we'd be stocked at every position.

You and I see the current team differently. We are so, so far from being stocked at every position. We have bodies. With the single exceptions of Jalen Adams, not one of them has proven both that he can stay healthy and that he can be a starter on a ranked team. If we've learned anything from the last 2 years, where we can't play the way we want to because we never had enough healthy guards to play with 3 guards for 40 minutes, we would like 13 scholarship players on the roster competing for playing time.

I am high on Hurley. But his walking in the door did not make Whalley, Carlton, Cobb, Polley, Diarra, Smith and even Vital key players on a team that is going to be pushing the doors in on the Top 25.

Reaction Score

There's zero downside to take a grad transfer in that situation. Most grad transfers aren't guys coming in looking for a starring role, either....they're typically more role player types. No reason to leave an open scholarship rather than taking a grad transfer; you'll still have that scholarship to use for the 2020 class.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
There's zero downside to take a grad transfer in that situation. Most grad transfers aren't guys coming in looking for a starring role, either....they're typically more role player types. No reason to leave an open scholarship rather than taking a grad transfer; you'll still have that scholarship to use for the 2020 class.

Who is going to come that would get even a minute of playing time? The guard spots are STACKED. We'd be 2 deep at every Forward position.

If you picked up a guy and gave him minutes, all you'd really be doing is stealing minutes from a kid who could use development. You're not likely to find somebody who'll be an upgrade over what's in house. Unless say Diarra can't play because of injury.

If you want to pick up a kid who isn't going to play at all, I'm fine with that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You and I see the current team differently. We are so, so far from being stocked at every position. We have bodies. With the single exceptions of Jalen Adams, not one of them has proven both that he can stay healthy and that he can be a starter on a ranked team. If we've learned anything from the last 2 years, where we can't play the way we want to because we never had enough healthy guards to play with 3 guards for 40 minutes, we would like 13 scholarship players on the roster competing for playing time.

I am high on Hurley. But his walking in the door did not make Whalley, Carlton, Cobb, Polley, Diarra, Smith and even Vital key players on a team that is going to be pushing the doors in on the Top 25.

When I said stacked, I was talking about next year with regards to grad transfers if we land Kofi and Akok (and are unable to land Precious).

At guard we have Alterique, Gaffney, Bouknight, Vital, B Adams. At PF we'd have Akok, Diarra, and Whaley. At center we'd have Kofi and Carlton. At wing, we'd have Sid and Polley.

That's pretty stacked. 10 guys who could get legit minutes.

This year we are not stacked. We can debate until the cows come home about KO/Hurley, but the results on the court will tell us a lot. I'm on record that, as of this moment, we aren't making the NCAAs. But, I'm happy to revise in the first half of the year once I see the product on the court.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was talking about next year with regards to grad transfers if we land Kofi and Akok.

At guard we have Alterique, Gaffney, Bouknight, Vital, B Adams. At PF we'd have Akok, Diarra, and Whaley. At center we'd have Kofi and Carlton. At wing, we'd have Sid and Polley.

That's pretty stacked.

We would then be in much better shape in terms of kids with upside based on how they played before coming to Storrs. I would only use the term stocked to describe players who have shown they can contribute at a high level in college, or for kids coming in NBA lottery type players. I will not use "stocked" to describe a Bouknight or a Gaffney until they have shown they make us stocked. And, as I've said, none of 'Rique (because of health), Vital, B. Adams, Diarra, Whaley or Carlton has come anywhere near showing that they are key cogs in a team that is going to be ranked.

It's fine that you have a different definition, and it's fine that you love the potential of a lot of our pieces, but given what UConn has achieved -- and what I desperately want to achieve going forward -- there is a lot I need to see before I'm near thinking our roster is stocked. But I certainly hope you turn out to be right.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We would then be in much better shape in terms of kids with upside based on how they played before coming to Storrs. I would only use the term stacked to describe players who have shown they can contribute at a high level in college, or for kids coming in NBA lottery type players. I will not use "stacked" to describe a Bouknight or a Gaffney until they have shown they make us stacked. And, as I've said, none of 'Rique (because of health), Vital, B. Adams, Diarra, Whaley or Carlton has come anywhere near showing that they are key cogs in a team that is going to be ranked.

It's fine that you have a different definition, and it's fine that you love the potential of a lot of our pieces, but given what UConn has achieved -- and what I desperately want to achieve going forward -- there is a lot I need to see before I'm near thinking our roster is stacked.

I just don't think you'll find anybody of comparable talent that's going to be a grad transfer. I guess if you can get a Tarin Smith*, you take him, but you're just hurting the young guys development. And next year is not the year to be shooting the moon. The year after will be the key.

*But the best you can usually get is a Yakwe, who won't be a significant upgrade if any.

Reaction Score
There seems to be increased talk of late signing with Kofi, Mitchell and Akok. Or maybe its just all coming from the same place multiple times, I haven't been paying close enough attention. The more knowledgeable here seem to think some of these guys are likely to sign early. It's a battle as to who is more informed and I hope our guys win the day.

The chatter has increased, but they're all just parroting from prior interviews before plans changed. We all know recruiting is fluid, grains of sand and all that. Well these guys use info from interviews given months ago or something the kid said during July evaluation period, etc., compile visit info, read some other blogspam from the same sources, and generate these articles without actually talking to anybody more recently,

Reaction Score
I just don't think you'll find anybody of comparable talent that's going to be a grad transfer. I guess if you can get a Tarin Smith*, you take him, but you're just hurting the young guys development. And next year is not the year to be shooting the moon. The year after will be the key.

*But the best you can usually get is a Yakwe, who won't be a significant upgrade if any.

Not if everyone stays healthy. But that is not always the case.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'd love to see Polley develop, but based on last year there is no reason to think we are going to be a ranked team with him as a starter. And if Wilson hasn't immediately pushed him aside, while his upside is huge same there. The thought that Precious would only be icing on the cake -- as opposed to a much, much better cake -- I don't understand.

My point is that, as of next year, we'll have one legit D1 starter at the wing and one strong backup. Sid is a much better player than you're giving him shrift for. He'll probably be OK this year as he adjusts, but he'll come into his own as a soph. He's high D1 talent, not filler. And Polley would make a very effective backup. Can shoot very well and is long for the spot. If he learns to defend a bit, he's very solid in that role.

'Icing on the cake' and 'much better cake' means the same thing to me, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. Of course Precious is a better player, I'm not saying he isn't, that's why he's icing. But Sid isn't just serviceable. He's good.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Not if everyone stays healthy. But that is not always the case.

Alterique and Diarra's health is absolutely in question. But if they do, it's one of the more loaded teams in UCONN history. I'm not talking high end talent wise, but it playable depth. 10 guys who can play legit minutes is a LOT.

Reaction Score
We have heard nothing from any of Kofi, Mitchell or Wahab that they want to come here with another 5. Great if they do -- 2 quality bigs would be fine -- but I'd assume we are looking to get one of them. And that the one we want is Kofi, but if he won't commit for the early signing period we would see if Mitchell or Wahab would.

In any event, on top of the guards, knowing that Akok has verballed and they are going to be part of a great class will only help.

Reaction Score
To be fair Precious is so physical that he did play a lot of 4 this year, but in the NBA I’m sure he will he developed as a 3. I think he and Akok actually compliment each other very well offensively, because Akok can stretch the floor and Precious is more adept to attacking the rim.

S p a c i n g.

It's a foreign concept to UConn fans (since 2014), but let me assure you it's a good thing.

Reaction Score
The guys who think Precious is a 3 have not seen him play. The way the game has gone he’s a four. His handle and jump shot are shaky. His first step is incredible. And he can guard multiple spots. But where the game is going he is a four. At least for the next couple years.

Precious seems to be tied pretty deep with Under Armour. Left to go to IMG who’s Under Armour. Seems to be a guy who’s going to wait, I see His recruitment getting chaotic.

Reaction Score
The guys who think Precious is a 3 have not seen him play. The way the game has gone he’s a four. His handle and jump shot are shaky. His first step is incredible. And he can guard multiple spots. But where the game is going he is a four. At least for the next couple years.

Precious seems to be tied pretty deep with Under Armour. Left to go to IMG who’s Under Armour. Seems to be a guy who’s going to wait, I see His recruitment getting chaotic.

Precious is at Montverde, a Nike school.

Reaction Score

There can be a Travis Reid or similar transfer at times.

C

Chief00

Chef when you say Chief00 in your head do you say Chef-oh-oh or Chef-zero-zero
Somehow an edit was put into the BY to auto the name without the zeros to “Chef”.
So I use “Chief00” now. Jealousy is such a motivator for some. But, Chief00 will stay a step ahead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom