Epic OT: Most famous person you ever spoke with? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Epic OT: Most famous person you ever spoke with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
George W and his father a few time in Kennebunkport

During the summer of '05, we were out to dinner at Grissini's and saw Barbara along with a pack of Secret Service agents. Definitely a sight to behold.

Reaction Score
Timothy Leary. Couple of friends and I walked him to his car after a talk. He was baked to a crisp that night. But then we likely were as well.

Robert Anton Wilson, author of The Illuminatus Trilogy, Cosmic Trigger, and many other "think outside the box" stuff. Had the pleasure of speaking with him at length one day. I loved his mind, great speaker too.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't really know who would be the "most" famous. I've had some odd conversations over the years.

I speak to Pirates' FO (Hurdle, Huntington, Coonelly, Nutting) every year.
Nomar (across aisle on a flight from Dallas after he injured his arm vs Texas)
Bob Novak (bizarre conversation about Scott Peterson case on a plane)
Jim Carville (often spoke at a grocery in Alexandria)
George Will (conversation about Mussina trade morning after it happened at a National Airport bookstore)
Ed Rendell (his photo op at our store to "support local businesses")
Dick Durbin (epic half hour baseball conversation with a sprinkling of Obamacare thrown in during campaign stop at our store, love this guy)
George H.W. Bush & Brent Scowcroft (at Cape Arundel GC while they were getting ready to drive to first tee and we were held hostage by Secret Service. Amusing guy, that Bush. But the SS guys were a real scream.)

Odd thing is, I've never been in politics.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't really know who would be the "most" famous. I've had some odd conversations over the years.

I speak to Pirates' FO (Hurdle, Huntington, Coonelly, Nutting) every year.
Nomar (across aisle on a flight from Dallas after he injured his arm vs Texas)
Bobby V. (had an adjacent table at his restaurant following the Todd Pratt HR game vs Arizona. Ralph Branca also there, but didn't talk to him).
Jason Robards (was really polite to my wife , but mostly ignored me at some restaurant that no longer exists)
Paul Newman (offered to buy my girlfriend a beer while I was filling up my car at a gas station in Westport, didn't invite me)
Bob Novak (bizarre conversation about Scott Peterson case on a plane)
James Carville (often spoke at a grocery in Alexandria)
George Will (conversation about Mussina trade morning after it happened at a National Airport bookstore)
Ed Rendell (his photo op at our store to "support local businesses")
Dick Durbin (epic half hour baseball conversation with a sprinkling of Obamacare thrown in during campaign stop at our store, love this guy)
George H.W. Bush & Brent Scowcroft (at Cape Arundel GC while they were getting ready to drive to first tee and we were held hostage by Secret Service. Amusing guy, that Bush. But the SS guys were a real scream.)

Odd thing is, with all the pols on this list, I've never been in politics.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Mario Lemieux
Chris Pronger
Greg Ginn
Manute Bol
Randy Edsall

It drops off very quick...

Reaction Score
Paul Newman (eat next to him at a restaurant and he talked to us the whole dinner,great guy) meet the iron sheik and hogan in the tampa airport. Say brad pitt in the de Gaulle Airport

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I've had a full conversation with each of Jesus Shuttlesworth, JC, Gordie Howe. (Ok, so like five or six sentences.) I feel like there are others I may have said a passing word to but I'm blanking. Bob Backlund...

Oh, once talked to Snoop Dogg on the phone.

Reaction Score
UConn: Played 9 holes of golf with Ray Allen when he was still at UConn. It was totally random - there were a bunch of people waiting for him at the 9th green (it was at Buena Vista golf course in West Hartford...a total dive).

Overall: LT

Reaction Score
How was meeting Eminem? Huge fan here.
Very reserved and kept to himself. It was in a group setting and he barely spoke all night. This was right around the Time the real slim shady blew up.

Reaction Score
All local:

Ray Allen
Kevin Ollie
Gordie Howe
Kevin Nathan
Bob Backlund
Donny Marshall
Jerome Dyson (famous on the BY)
Jerry Brooks

Reaction Score
I see KO where I work about twice a month. I'll say "hello" and "good luck" and things of that nature, but I try not to hold him up too much, so it's usually just fluff. I'm pretty sure he wants me to be the Chief00 to his JC.

I meet Andy Dick once. He was a peen.

Also I see Kevin Nathan and Bob Backlund all the time. Used to see Rachel Lutzker too.

Reaction Score
I see KO where I work about twice a month. I'll say "hello" and "good luck" and things of that nature, but I try not to hold him up too much, so it's usually just fluff. I'm pretty sure he wants me to be the Chief00 to his JC.

I meet Andy Dick once. He was a peen.

Also I see Kevin Nathan and Bob Backlund all the time. Used to see Rachel Lutzker too.
You're lucky Andy Dick didn't pull out his peen.

Reaction Score
Phil Mickelson at Giants stadium. Great guy. Talked about battle for 5th and 6th WR for the Chargers during NFL preseason. Bought us beers and couldn't have been friendlier.

Reaction Score
Don't know how famous he is/was, but once while at UConn probably 1980 I was hitchhiking along 195 near Paul's Pizza (was going to Hilltop I believe) and got picked up by Tommy Heinson of the Celtics- he was looking for way back to the highway and didn't mind giving me a ride- I did recognize him and said hello and told him to keep going on 195 and in 15 minutes he'd see highway entrance for I-84..

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Met Mike Francesa at a live show at Mohegan and talked UConn hoops with him during a commercial break and got a picture with him.

Reaction Score
Steph Curry
Eminem
Troy Aikman twice
Cal Ripken Jr
Mark Turgeon and his coaching Staff (saw them, didn't say anything to them as it was before last season and the wound of losing Diamond Stone was still fresh)
I also saw Kourtney Kardashian but I had no interest in what she had to say.

Saw them all at my ex gf's restaurant. Steph and Eminem were down to earth and I found them to be approachable. Cal Ripken was in a hurry and with his family so I didn't say much to him. Troy Aikman was cool, little inebriated.

Reaction Score
Michael Irvin, Regis Philbin, JC, Rip, Ray, Kemba, KO(in his playing days) ,Donny and Donyell Marshall Eli Manning, Michael Strahan, Patrick Ewing, Joe Torre, Yogi Berra, Ron Francis, Kevin Dineen, Dan O, Randy Edsall.

Reaction Score
UConn: Played 9 holes of golf with Ray Allen when he was still at UConn. It was totally random - there were a bunch of people waiting for him at the 9th green (it was at Buena Vista golf course in West Hartford...a total dive).

Overall: LT
LT? Larry Taylor? lol

Reaction Score
Greg Lamond once spent about 20 minutes telling me, in detail, the story of him getting shot before his first TDF victory. He was cool. I also rode a ski lift with Darren Rhalves (big time skier). I thought he was a local kid, so I asked him why the US ski team was so bad. He was nice and said that they are trying. I asked if he was "Ski Club Vail"? He says "No, US Ski Team..." I wanted to die. That night, he and the entire team had dinner at the restaurant I was the head waiter at... They had fun with me for hours...We remained friendly for the next 2 weeks, when he won the World Championship in Super G at Beaver Creek, where we were...Super guy, Chad Fleisher too, he got a kick out of my stupidity...

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
George Foreman when I was a kid on vacation. He stayed at the same hotel.

Met and spoke with a lot of football players while living in Jacksonville. Most recently Kyle Brady who was a friend of my son's coach. Spent a few hours with him. Truly a great guy and a giant of a human being. Then Jason Babin's son was on my son's team one season. So spent a few practices with him. Nice guy.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling this is gonna get good.
This is difficult. Multiple extended conversations: Sam Ervin. He was a family friend, president of a local board of education where my grandfather was treasurer. I worked in politics several times including in the US Senate for two summers. I met and talked with every major
senator in the 60's.

Rock musician: Bruce Springsteen; country musician: johnny Cash; opera Leontyne Price

Authors: R.K. Narayan; Isaac Asimov; Roy Blount; Samuel Schama, among others.

Notable sports figures: Oscar Robinson and Reggie Jackson (he was a real hoot).

I once impersonated Governor Jimmy Davis at the Country Music Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. He is the author of "You Are My
Sunshine."

I've met many cookbook authors and chefs; too many to mention.

BTW Sam Ervin was the chairman of The Senate Watergate Committee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom