Enough with the Talent complaints | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Enough with the Talent complaints

Reaction Score
Dear OP,
please tell me who TRULY replaced keelan marion, tre wortham, robert burns/nate carter, and jake guidone. 4 KEYYYY positions (wr/db/rb/C) all of which were absolutely garbage on saturday. Houston's got some speed and the heart, but at 5'7/170, he's not the guy.

The fact we used Jelani Stafford as a goalline RB was upsetting. The fact we used him AS MANY times as we did, was downright sad.
Except that he really produced which still means something.

Reaction Score
Wait. You're upset we made an imaginative adjustment on offense that worked?

By the way, Mike Ditka of the Bears was hailed as a genius where he made the same move.

Reaction Score
Dear OP,
please tell me who TRULY replaced keelan marion, tre wortham, robert burns/nate carter, and jake guidone. 4 KEYYYY positions (wr/db/rb/C) all of which were absolutely garbage on saturday. Houston's got some speed and the heart, but at 5'7/170, he's not the guy.
I think we have to compare production from last year to this year, not potential. Marion was injured last year and had 5 catches, so not much contribution for him last year. Aaron Turner was a loss, but his stats from last year are comparable to Cam Ross' stats from this year. Nate Carter played in 4 games and UConn was 1-3 with a win against CCSU. Yes, I would love to have him, but UConn went 5-4 without him. I agree that we haven't replaced Robert Burns, and I think we miss his leadership most. According to PFF grades, Walker is similar to Guidone, rated lower on run blocking, but higher on pass blocking.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The fact we used Jelani Stafford as a goalline RB was upsetting. The fact we used him AS MANY times as we did, was downright sad.
Thanks for letting me know that, because during the game, it felt downright awesome.

Reaction Score
I think we have mostly FBS level players on the roster but its not overwhelming talent. Buckman and Joly have done a decent job as possession receivers but Porter who our "stretch the field guy" has been mostly missing in action. We absolutely miss the 3 linebackers ( 2 were starters ) who didn't return to Uconn this year. We also miss Jake Guidone and Robert Burns which I think partly explains our downturn in the running game. I also think our opponents are better prepared for our modified pro spread offense that Charlton likes to run. I think we caught a few teams by surprise by how good run game was last year. I am not yet in the group to fire Charlton. It was his offense and play calling that was partly responsible for 6 wins with a true freshman quarterback and a very depleted wide receiver group last year. People wanted him fired because he ( or Mora ) chose Joe Faganono as his starting quarterback. After watching Roberson this week maybe that decision doesn't look so bad. I don't, however, understand many of his calls especially the 2nd and long calls. After being stop on first down for no gain on a run play, he often calls RPO, a quarterback run with a pitch option, a quarterback draw or this week it was a bubble screen. None of the plays have been very effective and often look like the players haven't practice them enough. Also, those calls don't seem to utilize our quarterback strengths. Finally, it seems like the plays are being call based on an assumption that we gain 6 yards on the first down. Charlton seems to have trouble adjusting his game plan based on what is going on during the game. I suspect Mora is going to sit down with Charlton and get rid of some of the plays that never seem to work. Roberson has a very good arm although not enough touch on many of his passes. Roberson does not look like the dual threat quarterback that we were hoping for. Maybe he hasn't fully recovered from his torn ACL from last year. In any case, I think our best option is to play Roberson ( I don't think at this time there is a better quarterback that is healthy and on on our roster at this time) and throw the ball more. We may have to live or die with Roberson arm going forward, but I don't see another way to improve our offensive production.

Reaction Score
Roberson doesn’t seem to process quickly. Often times he appeared to scamper out of a perfectly good pocket too quickly and into trouble, getting into a position where he is running to avoid the defense and is unable to throw an accurate pass.

Reaction Score
Dear OP,

I loved that we used Stafford on short yardage. One of my many concerns we don't really have a short yardage back. What would we do if we e er got into a 3rd and 1 or fourth and one. One problem solved. Now we just have to find a way to get into short yardage situations on 3rd down.

Reaction Score
I think we have mostly FBS level players on the roster but its not overwhelming talent. Buckman and Joly have done a decent job as possession receivers but Porter who our "stretch the field guy" has been mostly missing in action. We absolutely miss the 3 linebackers ( 2 were starters ) who didn't return to Uconn this year. We also miss Jake Guidone and Robert Burns which I think partly explains our downturn in the running game. I also think our opponents are better prepared for our modified pro spread offense that Charlton likes to run. I think we caught a few teams by surprise by how good run game was last year. I am not yet in the group to fire Charlton. It was his offense and play calling that was partly responsible for 6 wins with a true freshman quarterback and a very depleted wide receiver group last year. People wanted him fired because he ( or Mora ) chose Joe Faganono as his starting quarterback. After watching Roberson this week maybe that decision doesn't look so bad. I don't, however, understand many of his calls especially the 2nd and long calls. After being stop on first down for no gain on a run play, he often calls RPO, a quarterback run with a pitch option, a quarterback draw or this week it was a bubble screen. None of the plays have been very effective and often look like the players haven't practice them enough. Also, those calls don't seem to utilize our quarterback strengths. Finally, it seems like the plays are being call based on an assumption that we gain 6 yards on the first down. Charlton seems to have trouble adjusting his game plan based on what is going on during the game. I suspect Mora is going to sit down with Charlton and get rid of some of the plays that never seem to work. Roberson has a very good arm although not enough touch on many of his passes. Roberson does not look like the dual threat quarterback that we were hoping for. Maybe he hasn't fully recovered from his torn ACL from last year. In any case, I think our best option is to play Roberson ( I don't think at this time there is a better quarterback that is healthy and on on our roster at this time) and throw the ball more. We may have to live or die with Roberson arm going forward, but I don't see another way to improve our offensive production.
I think your analysis is very good but Roberson looks like he is running on eggshells. He also looks like a player who hasn’t played any football in the last 4 years which is unfortunately true. We won 6 games with Zion last year. I think they have to give him a chance.

Reaction Score
Dear OP,

You are asking the wrong questions.

The question you should be asking is WHY eligible Marion, Carter, Turner left... speaking of which Brewton in the portal with season left and Rosa injured... why... these are the questions we should be asking. BTW it's noted Carter could have played in games last year with season left but he decided to hold out the rest of the year to stay healthy and transfer ... again why are these impact players deciding to leave Charlton's system? Simple coincidence?

Watch Saturday and you will have your answer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The question you should be asking is WHY eligible Marion, Carter, Turner left... speaking of which Brewton in the portal with season left and Rosa injured... why... these are the questions we should be asking. BTW it's noted Carter could have played in games last year with season left but he decided to hold out the rest of the year to stay healthy and transfer ... again why are these impact players deciding to leave Charlton's system?
Marion, Carter, and Brewton had no impact last year. Turner did, but went to Cincy and has 15 yards through 3 games. Marion has three catches through 3 games this year. Carter beat up on some crappy teams to start the year, this year and last, and then when he played real competition, here and at Michigan State, his production drops off a cliff. We have our top two running backs from last year and 2 out of our top 3 receivers. Our impact players are basically all still here aside from those that graduated.

Reaction Score

The question you should be asking is WHY eligible Marion, Carter, Turner left... speaking of which Brewton in the portal with season left and Rosa injured... why... these are the questions we should be asking. BTW it's noted Carter could have played in games last year with season left but he decided to hold out the rest of the year to stay healthy and transfer ... again why are these impact players deciding to leave Charlton's system? Simple coincidence?

Watch Saturday and you will have your answer.

There's no great mystery here. They're transferring to better teams and a better chance at playing in the NFL. It happens all over college football.

I'm sure Charlton sucking didn't help, but let's be realistic here. They were probably gone anyways.

Reaction Score
There's no great mystery here. They're transferring to better teams and a better chance at playing in the NFL. It happens all over college football.

I'm sure Charlton sucking didn't help, but let's be realistic here. They were probably gone anyways.
Ok then why did Brewton even start the season with us this year?

Reaction Score
Ok then why did Brewton even start the season with us this year?

That's one player, I'm not concerned about 1 player, particularly one that barely gets snaps.

I'm talking about Turner, Carter and Marion. They all were leaving anyways, and we shouldn't be surprised by that. It's the nature of college sports as a non-powerhouse--your best players transfer to better schools. Just like our basketball team gets transfers who were successful at lower-ranked schools.

Reaction Score

The question you should be asking is WHY eligible Marion, Carter, Turner left... speaking of which Brewton in the portal with season left and Rosa injured... why... these are the questions we should be asking. BTW it's noted Carter could have played in games last year with season left but he decided to hold out the rest of the year to stay healthy and transfer ... again why are these impact players deciding to leave Charlton's system?

I think we all need to understand that we are in the portal era with money available for players. TRANSFERS ARE HAPPENING AT EVERY SCHOOL. UConn will lose some and gain some and only one UConn transfer, Carter, is playing a key role for his new team Saban lost about 20 players last year. Syracuse lost their top CB to LSU. BC lost 2 DBs to Texas A&M and Wisconsin. Sam Hartman, QB at Wake Forest for 5 years with great stats, left Wake for Notre Dame.

What has been most disappointing to me is that there are many top rated HS QB recruits that leave P5 schools every year and UConn should be grabbing one almost every year. We did with Roberson and we should have grabbed another this year.

Reaction Score
Roberson doesn’t seem to process quickly. Often times he appeared to scamper out of a perfectly good pocket too quickly and into trouble, getting into a position where he is running to avoid the defense and is unable to throw an accurate pass.

I'm not sure if that he doesn't see it. He may not trust it and has been told not to turn the ball over.

DanO often says there is a big difference between protecting the football and valuing it. Guys who protect the football are turnover adverse and play scared. Guys who value the football will take chances if there is a good percentage to make a play.

Too soon to make a judgement on Roberson. I don't think he trusts himself yet.

Reaction Score
With very limited evidence to rely upon, I thought Roberson in a game and one half of snaps made quicker reads than Fagano did in his game and one half and Turner did last year. I absolutely could be wrong. Lets see what he can do with another week of practice. I do acknowledge that Roberson may not be "the guy".

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
People wanted him fired because he ( or Mora ) chose Joe Faganono as his starting quarterback.
People want him fired because of our inability to score even 20 points a game. We don't look like an efficient offense.

That said, I think it's pointless to fire him at this point in time. He's very definitely on the hot seat for not getting his contract renewed at the end of the season though.

Reaction Score
Marion, Carter, and Brewton had no impact last year. Turner did, but went to Cincy and has 15 yards through 3 games. Marion has three catches through 3 games this year. Carter beat up on some crappy teams to start the year, this year and last, and then when he played real competition, here and at Michigan State, his production drops off a cliff. We have our top two running backs from last year and 2 out of our top 3 receivers. Our impact players are basically all still here aside from those that graduated.
Carter having no impact last year is revisionist history. Forte is right. Players are starting to run away.

Reaction Score
Carter having no impact last year is revisionist history.

Carter 2022 Stats

1695072155980.png

Reaction Score
Do you think they coach throwing bubble screens with no blocking? I mean think about that.
They clearly don't coach it well enough. And if it isn't working---which it hasn't--game after game--how about the OC trying a new idea. Have our QB fake our patented, highly anticipated, (and historically) unsuccessful UConn throw to the sideline, and instead fire a quick slant that's (I don't know) perhaps unexpected.

Reaction Score
You can't distill it to either/or.

Coaches are going to coach to the (perceived) abilities of their players. And since they spend most of their day to day lives around said players, they're going to be well versed in said players' abilities I'd guess.

It's my firm belief that a TON of team performance rests on whether there's a viable, no doubt dude at QB. After all, there's a reason the QB is generally held up to be the leader of the team, irrespective of offense/defense/specials. If you don't have that 'guy' then it makes it tremendously difficult for everyone to come together as a group. This is pretty much true at all levels of the sport no matter you're talking about high school, college or the pros.

As far as our team is concerned it's got to be tremendously burdensome on the defense knowing that they're essentially starting every game with one arm tied behind their back because none of Fagnano, Roberson or really Zion are capable of playing the position with any degree of competency.

Mora is right when he says that 17 points is not enough in today's collegiate environment and you're not gonna get it done with the whole 'three yards and a cloud of dust' routine anymore. Bottom line-we don't have a QB and until we get one things are gonna be dicey on game day. You want to blame Mora for that as a consequence of crappy recruiting, then OK fine it's on the coach. But he can't wave a magic wand and for example make the Sam Hartmans of the world think UCONN is a better transfer destination than Notre Dame. That IMO is the problem he has to solve before we can have any real, bona fide expectations as a fan base.

Get your QB, everything else falls into place.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Dear OP,

They used him in the same role last year as well.

Reaction Score
I agree. It looks like he doesn't trust the protection to hold for that additional second or two and he starts to watch the rush. That makes it difficult to reengage the action downfiekd and disrupts the timing so he starts to run to extend the play when he should probable just tuck the ball and head for the sticks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom