Enough with the Talent complaints | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Enough with the Talent complaints

Reaction Score
The biggest talent disparity I see is at OC. FIU has David Yost who has been OC at Missouri, Utah St., and Texas Tech and he was QB coach at Oregon. He was also a receivers coach under Mike Leach at Washington St. and was QB coach at Toledo for 5 years. He has helped coach QBs Justin Herbert, Blaine Gabbert, Chase Daniels, Brad Smith, and Jordan Love. And, he makes slightly less than Nick Charlton.
This is the problem.. when we dont bring in OC's with a good track record we get the results we are seeing. We should have gotten a guy who has coached against the bigger and better opponents, instead we get Charlton who had no experience being an OC at the FBS level.

Reaction Score
Mq

Where is evidence that they can do better if the plays were better?

I don’t like the plays, it is unimaginative. But, I just don’t think WRs can get open and make plays, or the QBs they have to deliver the ball with any accuracy.

At some point, it is the design, it is the execution and ability

The evidence is with all these teams like FIU and Georgia State that have the sane talent level and score more points than us.

The evidence is URI scoring more than we did against Georgia State.

UConn beat one of them last year and probably would have beaten the other one.

Don’t call for routes that won’t get first downs. Don’t call a run on 3rd and 16.

It’s probably a mixture of the two deficiencies. But it’s not like we can add talent in the midst of the season. But you can change the way the offense plays.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Noey- great points, except the coaches are the ones bringing in these kids. So, it still kind of reverts to a lack of ability to evaluate. The quality of throws the FIU kid was making was beautiful - tight spin, on a dime accurate with some time. Compared to our schlep who can’t throw a nice tight ball, is inaccurate, can’t pull the trigger on timing routes..
Sitting in the stands watching that QB dish long dimes was nice to watch but maddening to see.

Reaction Score
Can we stop this idiotic discussion on the talent level? Seriously, how can anyone who knows anything about football not know it's been coaching? If it is talent level, then how does UConn's defense completely turn around YOY last year from essentially the laughing stock of college football to a strength of the program and look like a completely different unit? With the exception of a few plugs, essentially the same roster under Edsall and Spanos, who, magically disappeared when a competent defensive coach saw firsthand the product?

Stop talking about talent to fit your narrative. If FCS programs are keeping up, NEW ENGLAND FCS programs, then it's not talent. This is like saying UCF had no talent went they went 0-12 yet magically must have had two top recruiting classes in the nation the following years with instant impact Freshmen/underclasssement (cause the portal was not there) to bring them to 13-0. MAYBE guys, just MAYBE coaching matters, and we don't have the coaching on offense to have success?

Stop looking at talent and ask yourself why our "talentless" starters, primarily on one side of the ball, are LEAVING for Big-time FBS programs and having instant success...
It’s one position we lack.

Reaction Score
We need to get real here. We don't have a talent issue. Sure if we had the TE and WRs from Colorado, we probably could have won both games.

The bottom line is our OC sucks, and his play calling sucks. Our offense plays are so obvious. We consistently get stuffed for no gain right now. We scored a total of 6 TDs in 3 games while other teams score that many in one game.

I have watched other college games, and our offense is just offensive comparing to others. It is insane just about every game I watch have better offense executions than we do.

So please don't BS me about this talent level crap again FIU and Georgia State. It is on the coaches to call the right plays at key moments to take advantage of matchups. We need a new OC asap.

Reaction Score
Like most issues, there isn’t an all or nothing solution, but those of you who keep claiming it’s a talent issue are deceiving yourselves. This is much more a coaching problem. Not spying on two successive QB’’s, bubble screens without the blocking, fair catching every punt, predictable play sequencing. Bottom line our coaches have made the players hesitant and unable to react instinctively. There’s a lack of confidence when we take the field. That’s coaching and more specifically an OC who’s over his head.

Reaction Score
This is the same talent that best this team on the road by 20 points last year

With a year more experience
Other teams can improve. It is never a guarantee that a team will improve even with majority returning players.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Can Mora be satisfied with his OC?
I know I wouldn't be and its up to Mora to adjust immediately.
I'm a soccer coach but I know I could call a better game than the current OC.
I didn't like him last season and this year so far is pitiful.
OC makes too much $ to be this bad.

Reaction Score
Guys. It is a talent issue. UConn was just beat by a team that has more offensive talent.

We can blame Charlton and or/Mora all we want. We can say something about college kids, and must be nicer.

Or, you can go recruit better players. That takes time. Get a QB, get WRs who can make plays.

I like the backs. Decent OL, but everything else is so unexplosive.

UConn was beat by a quarterback who had all day in the pocket because the defense was terrified he might run with the ball and they had PTSD from the previous two games.

In the second half, they turned up the pressure on the QB and he immediately came back to Earth. I would much rather they pressure the QB even if it means some QB runs, then laying back and giving the QB all day to throw,

Reaction Score
Simple. UConn's talent level is FCS. And they mostly likely lose to South Dakota State, North Dakota State, Montana State, University of Montana and several others of the top programs.

FCS talent until they prove otherwise.

Reaction Score
Simple. UConn's talent level is FCS. And they mostly likely lose to South Dakota State, North Dakota State, Montana State, University of Montana and several others of the top programs.

Most definitely. There are good players in fcs and those teams can beat other FBS teams other than UConn as well.

Reaction Score
Other teams can improve. It is never a guarantee that a team will improve even with majority returning players.

So, your take is all the other teams improved, but we are the team that isn't guaranteed to improve, despite our team having all those returning players.

Do you have a reason why that would be true?

Reaction Score
Like most issues, there isn’t an all or nothing solution, but those of you who keep claiming it’s a talent issue are deceiving yourselves. This is much more a coaching problem. Not spying on two successive QB’’s, bubble screens without the blocking, fair catching every punt, predictable play sequencing. Bottom line our coaches have made the players hesitant and unable to react instinctively. There’s a lack of confidence when we take the field. That’s coaching and more specifically an OC who’s over his head.
Do you think they coach throwing bubble screens with no blocking? I mean think about that.

Reaction Score
So, your take is all the other teams improved, but we are the team that isn't guaranteed to improve, despite our team having all those returning players.

Do you have a reason why that would be true?
Reason, chemistry? More like many thinking UConn would be better than teams on their schedule based on last year’s records, conference or perception. As Mike Leach would say “ that was last year”

Reaction Score
Reason, chemistry? More like many thinking UConn would be better than teams on their schedule based on last year’s records, conference or perception. As Mike Leach would say “ that was last year”

I'm thinking with that many players back from last year, chemistry you can probably eliminate. They would have good chemistry last year, but bad chemistry this year? I don't think so.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking with that many players back from last year, chemistry you can probably eliminate. They would have good chemistry last year, but bad chemistry this year? I don't think so.
Well something’s up because they have looked flat and hesitant for 10 of 12 quarters. On both sides of the ball. I don’t claim to know why - confidence, chemistry, confusion - but they look rudderless for a group that had some good wins last year. Now at 5 straight losses. Without player leadership, chemistry killing.

Reaction Score
Bob Joyce on the postgame show said Brewton had entered the transfer portal. 3 games into the season! Something is going on with the offense.

Reaction Score
Well something’s up because they have looked flat and hesitant for 10 of 12 quarters. On both sides of the ball. I don’t claim to know why - confidence, chemistry, confusion - but they look rudderless for a group that had some good wins last year. Now at 5 straight losses. Without player leadership, chemistry killing.

They operate without coaches?

Reaction Score
This is the problem.. when we dont bring in OC's with a good track record we get the results we are seeing. We should have gotten a guy who has coached against the bigger and better opponents, instead we get Charlton who had no experience being an OC at the FBS level.
You do realize these jobs are posted and applied for at a state school yes / no? Jim Mora reached out for the head coach opening and intrigued DB to spend a couple of days in Utah to find the sincerity of interest. The OC job was also posted and Jim had to pick from those who applied or his personal choice. Not only offered Charlton but offered him Assistant Head Coach position.

He was impressed with his body of work at the time. Maybe not so much now.
No attack @Guru13 but guru's are supposed to be informing the rest of us. ;)

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score

SDSU and NDSU are borderline top 25 FBS teams and certainly top 50. They are every bit as good as NC State and UConn is not in their class.

According to some combined polls, we are currently comparable to Towson, 8th in the CAA behind William and Mary, Delaware, New Hampshire, Villanova, Rhode Island, Campbell, Elon, and Richmond.

Good news is we’d be first in the NEC and last place Sacred Heart is basically the FCS version of us…

Reaction Score
You do realize these jobs are posted and applied for at a state school yes / no? Jim Mora reached out for the head coach opening and intrigued DB to spend a couple of days in Utah to find the sincerity of interest. The OC job was also posted and Jim had to pick from those who applied or his personal choice. Not only offered Charlton but offered him Assistant Head Coach position.

He was impressed with his body of work at the time. Maybe not so much now.
No attack @Guru13 but guru's are supposed to be informing the rest of us. ;)
yea I get it, but its just speaking from disappointment of seeing how the offense is

Reaction Score
Dear OP,
please tell me who TRULY replaced keelan marion, tre wortham, robert burns/nate carter, and jake guidone. 4 KEYYYY positions (wr/db/rb/C) all of which were absolutely garbage on saturday. Houston's got some speed and the heart, but at 5'7/170, he's not the guy.

The fact we used Jelani Stafford as a goalline RB was upsetting. The fact we used him AS MANY times as we did, was downright sad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom