Enoch & Cobb? | The Boneyard

Enoch & Cobb?

Reaction Score
Do these 2 start next season? If so do they clean up the defensive rebounding woes we experienced this past season? Would be the most size we've had in the front court in a long time, and I think we're all over having twigs down low....this will obviously hinge on Enoch's improvement with defensive mobility/positioning/discipline

I personally wouldn't mind it, would be able to bring both decent offense (durham) and energy (diarra) off the bench. I like the idea of playing Enoch/Cobb together & Durham/Diarra together as much as possible. Keep the classes aligned this way so these pairs can create as much in game chemistry as possible; feel they compliment each other's games perfectly as well.

Haven't seen much of Cobb just know he's a big body...

I'm all for going small when it's appropriate, but I like the old school style of 2 big guys down low as much as possible, gotta get those boards

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Cobb is a huge question mark. Enoch is a not-so-large question mark.

Enoch will get the nod, but I highly doubt we will use two of them at the same time. I would like to see Enoch, Larrier, and Jackson if we go big.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I predict Carlton to be our most well rounded 5 by mid-season, no comment on just how good, just that he will be our best.

Enoch still can't defend a guy half his size in front of the basket and despite have awesome footwork and coordination for the first 95% of each of his shots, that last 5% where it bricks off the rim almost every time after 2 years time is not good.

Cobb looks like he is a bruiser, defense and rebounding first.

That being said, I think the simple change of "scenery" in the front court with a clean slate will prove to be a net positive on its own. A fresh start will be good for the identity of this team going forward.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
We've got some length aside from Enoch & Cobb. Durham, Jackson, Larrier, Polley are all long and lean, and when the maximum muscle isn't called for may all see time at the 4 position, and all are stretch 4's. Cobb & Enoch need to be solid defensively and rebounding, and give us some inside offensive threat to pull defenders in from the 3 line. Carlton looks promising - I've already seen in his tapes more polished post moves than Brimah ever had. But he doesn't have premier athleticism and lift, and at 6-9 is a little undersized. Still, with some big man work, could be very effective.

pj

Reaction Score
I doubt we ever see Cobb and Enoch on the court at the same time. One of them will be the starting center, one the backup, Carlton second backup. I'm going to guess Cobb may grab the starting spot, but I think we see center by committee in the regular season with all 3 getting significant time, then a shortening of the bench in March, perhaps with matchups based on opponent.

I think at the 4, Durham, Larrier, Jackson are just too good to keep off the court.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised people think Cobb will be such a significant contributor. I see the typical lineup next year being mostly small and fast (Larrier at the 4 hopefully), with Enoch being a lock for the starting center position.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised people think Cobb will be such a significant contributor. I see the typical lineup next year being mostly small and fast (Larrier at the 4 hopefully), with Enoch being a lock for the starting center position.

I see rebounding issues written all over this. Can't get out and run in the open court if you don't rebound the ball...

With opponents starting 2 guys 6'9 and above I do not like this idea of VJ or Larrier at the 4

VJ has no lift, not particularly a good rebounder. Larrier still has a wiry frame and can be outmuscled down low.

Reaction Score
I see rebounding issues written all over this. Can't get out and run in the open court if you don't rebound the ball...

With opponents starting 2 guys 6'9 and above I do not like this idea of VJ or Larrier at the 4

VJ has no lift, not particularly a good rebounder. Larrier still has a wiry frame and can be outmuscled down low.

You're right that it would never work with VJ, but I like to think Larrier is a good enough rebounder to make it work. Tiny sample size but he averaged 6 in those 3 full games he played, and that was with Brimah and Facey on the court.

Reaction Score
KO has choices next year. He has overlapping depth at every spot. Players that can play multiple positions. Depending on the game we are going to see many different combinations on the floor. The starting five are Enoch5, Durham4, Larrier3, Adams2, and Gilbert 1. We should organize some kind of a bet or a poll or something.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Am I insane, or are others realizing something that occurs to me as I'm reading this thread....

These seem like good problems to have - lots guys who possibly can contribute, and should all compete for PT. The key will be finding the right mix against the right opponent. That may take a few games work itself out.

Of course, both may be true: I may be insane and this may also be true.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score

That's when Durham plays the 4.

Reaction Score
In my humble opinion there is no way that two of the three of Enoch, Cobb and Carlton start, especially in the beginning of the year.
I would say Steven will get the nod and we have no way of knowing about the other two. I would imagine that Steve will spend a lot of time putting on some muscle and working on his post moves. He is already ahead of AB (I know, not saying much) in that he has a decent drop step, turnaround jumper and can use both hands around the basket. I believe he just needs some muscle and in injection of Jeff Adrian toughness and time on the court to develop his game.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You're right that it would never work with VJ, but I like to think Larrier is a good enough rebounder to make it work. Tiny sample size but he averaged 6 in those 3 full games he played, and that was with Brimah and Facey on the court.

If it won't work with Jackson, why will it work with Larrier who is forty-pounds lighter?

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

Give Jackson a shot.He has the body for it. Maybe knowing he has to fight to keep his position, he may make some adjustments.

Reaction Score
In my humble opinion there is no way that two of the three of Enoch, Cobb and Carlton start, especially in the beginning of the year.
I would say Steven will get the nod and we have no way of knowing about the other two. I would imagine that Steve will spend a lot of time putting on some muscle and working on his post moves. He is already ahead of AB (I know, not saying much) in that he has a decent drop step, turnaround jumper and can use both hands around the basket. I believe he just needs some muscle and in injection of Jeff Adrian toughness and time on the court to develop his game.

And better vision on D, hope that finds its way some how! But I agree a good summer of repetitive work on drop steps and strong finishes he will be fun on O.

Reaction Score
You are right about the vision on D. Also footwork/foot speed. Steve was totally lost this year on the pick and role at top of the key.

Reaction Score
If it won't work with Jackson, why will it work with Larrier who is forty-pounds lighter?
This. Jackson is 6-8 and not a twig. Larrier is a 3 all day long. I think Jackson starts at the four but with lineup changes it doesn't matter. You'll have Diarra, Cobb, Durham probably all get time at the four. When Larrier rests Jackson may be at the 3 or Polley. A lot of interchangeable options there which is a good thing.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
The 4 spot is a big question-mark in my mind. We need at least 2 combinations of players at PF:
1) When we go small -- someone who can create mismatches, stretch the defense, space the floor, but still rebound and defend effectively. Hopefully that's Larrier, but he's more of a 3. Same with Jackson.

2) When we go big -- someone who can bang down low, post up, and rebound against bulkier teams. Not sure a freshman will be the answer here and Diarra is an unknown.​

I'm less concerned about the center spot. Remember, we won it all in 2011 and 2014 with combinations of Oriakhi/Okwandu and Nolan/Brimah at the 5. As long as someone emerges who can defend without fouling and grab boards, we'll be fine. Not sure that Enoch will be that guy, as much as I'd like it to be. He needs to get in better shape so that he can be quicker on his feet when defending. His instincts are there, though.

Reaction Score
Just rewatched a piece of the second to last Cincy game and focused on Enoch and was he really missing defensive assignments much more than Brimah and even Facey? I have to say that he stayed with his man and was not worse than Brimah and Facey in the time he was in there. Blocked a shot too. Does he make mistakes? Yes, but our other bigs were not exactly a clinic out there, and in fact both were burned frequently on defense. On offense they mishandled the ball plenty. I'm upbeat on Enoch and glad to have him next year, we didn't lose Emeka.

Reaction Score
This. Jackson is 6-8 and not a twig. Larrier is a 3 all day long. I think Jackson starts at the four but with lineup changes it doesn't matter. You'll have Diarra, Cobb, Durham probably all get time at the four. When Larrier rests Jackson may be at the 3 or Polley. A lot of interchangeable options there which is a good thing.
I do like the idea of an opposing team having a true four out guarding Jackson. Almost all big guys would get worked over with some of his footwork and ball fakes on the perimeter .

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Look at the list of guys who would have to be on the bench to have Cobb and Enoch on the floor together.

A terrible idea.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom