Endorsement Deals Shaping the NCAA Tournament | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Endorsement Deals Shaping the NCAA Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The SEC is continuously reviewing the possibility of withdrawing from the NCAA. Of course football and money it generates are the primary conference concerns. I would imagine the BIG Ten is considering withdrawal too It perhaps not as strongly or as vocally. If the two mega conferences both withdraw, the NCAA wild sumoly bbecome irrelevant.

One non-football issue that the SEC feels strongly about is scholarship limitations on no -football sports; particularly baseball and softball. Presently, the limitation to 12 scholarships for teams with approximately 25 players means that most players end up getting only half sholarships. The SEC could probably get the ACC PAC and maybe the Big12 to vote their way but that group of big conferences would still be outvoted by the small schools that want to control their expenditures.

The Power Six pays for smaller conferences to compete with them. Fair or unfair I dunno.
I
Does SC publish the amount it pays to athletes to come there from the transfer portal? Wouldn't that be truly transparent as opposed to just letting the NCAA monitor that they spend money from merchandise sales and commercial sponsors? So a booster's million dollars can't be spent but a "commercial sponsor's" can? Who are the SC commercial sponsors? Is a list available? This is all subterfuge. It's buying players and will be the demise of college sports.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
In New Jersey, you can't transfer for athletic benefit only. There are often "hardship" applications and issues about residency for athletes for public schools. Often, you will hear of student/athletes living with their coaches.
Not openly, athletes start playing for a public HS as a freshman has a good year next season playing for a private or parochial school. Bob Hurley SR at ST Anthony's had players brought in from all over the NY metropolitan area for example.

Reaction Score
Not openly, athletes start playing for a public HS as a freshman has a good year next season playing for a private or parochial school. Bob Hurley SR at ST Anthony's had players brought in from all over the NY metropolitan area for example.
Yes he did. Several New York City players, same was true for St. Patrick's under Kevin Boyle.

Reaction Score
Yes he did. Several New York City players, same was true for St. Patrick's under Kevin Boyle.
In Arizona players at the high school level can transfer public to public, public to private, private to public or to the emerging phenomenon of sports schools.

While it's primarily football and basketball it does happen with all sports at least here in Arizona.

For example the number one ranked quarterback in the 2024 class who just decommitted from Ohio State may be on his third high school. While the article below indicates as a junior he played for Chandler High School I believe he's transferred to Pinnacle for his senior year.

It's hard to call one team No. 1 and another No. 2 in Arizona when both are among the top 10 teams in the nation.

But that's what Arizona has gotten itself into with the rapid growth of boys prep basketball academies as it has broken through big on the national scene

Reaction Score
In Arizona players at the high school level can transfer public to public, public to private, private to public or to the emerging phenomenon of sports schools.

While it's primarily football and basketball it does happen with all sports at least here in Arizona.

For example the number one ranked quarterback in the 2024 class who just decommitted from Ohio State may be on his third high school. While the article below indicates as a junior he played for Chandler High School I believe he's transferred to Pinnacle for his senior year.

It's hard to call one team No. 1 and another No. 2 in Arizona when both are among the top 10 teams in the nation.

But that's what Arizona has gotten itself into with the rapid growth of boys prep basketball academies as it has broken through big on the national scene
When New Jersey had Bob Hurley Sr. at St Anthony and Kevin Boyle at St. pat's the winner of that game was almost always #1 in New Jersey and sometimes #1 in the country. When St. Pat's was #1 and had Kid Gilcrist and St. Anthony was #2 and has Abdel Anderson, they played in the State semis. I saw the game. St. Anthony won on an incredible out of bounds play by Hurley. and went on to be #1 in the USA.

Reaction Score
Does SC publish the amount it pays to athletes to come there from the transfer portal? Wouldn't that be truly transparent as opposed to just letting the NCAA monitor that they spend money from merchandise sales and commercial sponsors? So a booster's million dollars can't be spent but a "commercial sponsor's" can? Who are the SC commercial sponsors? Is a list available? This is all subterfuge. It's buying players and will be the demise of college sports.
SCar pays wbb players 25,000 per year. No signing bonuses for transfers. PERIOD. That money comes from a share of merchandising player jerseys, posters, programs with players photos, team photo ops etc. - all transparent.

The individual player NIL deals are not transparent unless the player chooses to disclose. Some have. Some haven’t .

Our 14th player (originally a walk-in from SC) gets paid for an ad she does for her hometown car dealer. Is the owner a booster?. Probably. But she does do the ad and is entitled to be paid. It’s a private deal that the school has nothing to do with. Will our three present home state players have similar opportunities ( and hopefully Joyce Edwards in the future) . Yes. Is it permissible? Yes. As long as the school is not involved in the deal.

Is Paige getting a share of her jersey sales licensed by UConn? Is she getting NIL from corporations? Can she do an ad for a business in Minnesota or Stoors (if they can afford her) We all know the answer. We just don’t know how much she got from UConn merchandising. Non transparent.

Boston got 25,000 from SCar’s merchandising collective. The same as every one of her teammates.That’s transparent. The money from her individual deals is non-transparent - like Paige’s.

So, what does UConn pay?

Reaction Score
SCar pays wbb players 25,000 per year. No signing bonuses for transfers. PERIOD. That money comes from a share of merchandising player jerseys, posters, programs with players photos, team photo ops etc. - all transparent.

The individual player NIL deals are not transparent unless the player chooses to disclose. Some have. Some haven’t .

Our 14th player (originally a walk-in from SC) gets paid for an ad she does for her hometown car dealer. Is the owner a booster?. Probably. But she does do the ad and is entitled to be paid. It’s a private deal that the school has nothing to do with. Will our three present home state players have similar opportunities ( and hopefully Joyce Edwards in the future) . Yes. Is it permissible? Yes. As long as the school is not involved in the deal.

Is Paige getting a share of her jersey sales licensed by UConn? Is she getting NIL from corporations? Can she do an ad for a business in Minnesota or Stoors (if they can afford her) We all know the answer. We just don’t know how much she got from UConn merchandising. Non transparent.

Boston got 25,000 from SCar’s merchandising collective. The same as every one of her teammates.That’s transparent. The money from her individual deals is non-transparent - like Paige’s.

So, what does UConn pay?
This isn't about NIL money. Don't try to change the conversation. I made it clear that I had no problem with a player benefitting from NIL which was long overdue. The issue I have is the transfer "bonuses" or enrollment "bonuses" disguised as NIL. They are not stated to be transfer bonuses but if it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck.... If you don't think that is happening full fledged in college basketball right now you are dreaming. Do you think the transferring members of the NC championship team from LSU went there for the coach or the "love of the game"? The transfer portal/ NIL two punch combination is the issue and it will never be made transparent unless there is a scandal just like "Sneakergate". If a player in the portal starts talking NIL money, the coach or assistant says I can't have this conversation but soon thereafter a "friend of the program" makes a call to that player and there is a large NIL payment promised upon transfer. That's the soft underbelly of the system now. We welcomed outside money into the amateur athletic structure. With money comes venality. Commercial or improperly labelled booster money becomes the price paid for a transfer. The NCAA will do zero about it. They can't even train and choose competent referees.

Reaction Score
This isn't about NIL money. Don't try to change the conversation. I made it clear that I had no problem with a player benefitting from NIL which was long overdue. The issue I have is the transfer "bonuses" or enrollment "bonuses" disguised as NIL. They are not stated to be transfer bonuses but if it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck.... If you don't think that is happening full fledged in college basketball right now you are dreaming. Do you think the transferring members of the NC championship team from LSU went there for the coach or the "love of the game"? The transfer portal/ NIL two punch combination is the issue and it will never be made transparent unless there is a scandal just like "Sneakergate". If a player in the portal starts talking NIL money, the coach or assistant says I can't have this conversation but soon thereafter a "friend of the program" makes a call to that player and there is a large NIL payment promised upon transfer. That's the soft underbelly of the system now. We welcomed outside money into the amateur athletic structure. With money comes venality. Commercial or improperly labelled booster money becomes the price paid for a transfer. The NCAA will do zero about it. They can't even train and choose competent referees.
I did not change the conversation. My first statement clearly stated: " SCar pays wbb players 25,000 per year. No signing bonuses for transfers. PERIOD." I then discussed the transparency of our $25,000 NIL collective.

Wanna' find something potentially insidious about us to worry about or to blame IF we get a top rated transfer to one of the best wbb programs in the country?

Here ya' go. Klutch Sports represents wbb players in finding NIL opportunities. It even represents high schoolers before they commit to a college. The WBB division is headed by Jade Li English. She is a former Gamecock track athlete and daughter of Gamecock homegrown basketball legend, Alex English, who is now a member of schools board of trustees.

Yeah, Jade Li represents 2023 Number 1 recruit, Judea Watkins. We were one of three finalists for her (unfortunately she chose the wrong SC:( ). So, did a Southeastern school only have a shot at that Cali prospect only because of her agent? Perhaps Jade Li can offer transferees private NIL opportunities.

But I'll ask you. What "transfer 'bonuses' 0r enrollment 'bonuses' disguised as NIL" does LSU offer? Or UConn? Or Notre Dame? Or Stanford? Can you answer the question about any school? Let's say that's why I took exception to your post singling out SCar. Can you point to ANY school (other than Miami) and say: They (or their alums) do or do not pay signing "bonuses?"

Reaction Score

An athletic booster is offering one million dollars for SU athletics and an additional million for basketball recruits. Here's a quote from the article:
"Syracuse, N.Y. — Adam Weitsman, Syracuse University’s most high-profile athletics booster, says he will put more than $1 million in the pockets of SU athletes and is offering at least $1 million more to top basketball recruits."

Reaction Score

An athletic booster is offering one million dollars for SU athletics and an additional million for basketball recruits. Here's a quote from the article:
"Syracuse, N.Y. — Adam Weitsman, Syracuse University’s most high-profile athletics booster, says he will put more than $1 million in the pockets of SU athletes and is offering at least $1 million more to top basketball recruits."
Okay. WOW!

May Syracuse become the one and done capitol of college basketball!

Reaction Score
I did not change the conversation. My first statement clearly stated: " SCar pays wbb players 25,000 per year. No signing bonuses for transfers. PERIOD." I then discussed the transparency of our $25,000 NIL collective.

Wanna' find something potentially insidious about us to worry about or to blame IF we get a top rated transfer to one of the best wbb programs in the country?

Here ya' go. Klutch Sports represents wbb players in finding NIL opportunities. It even represents high schoolers before they commit to a college. The WBB division is headed by Jade Li English. She is a former Gamecock track athlete and daughter of Gamecock homegrown basketball legend, Alex English, who is now a member of schools board of trustees.

Yeah, Jade Li represents 2023 Number 1 recruit, Judea Watkins. We were one of three finalists for her (unfortunately she chose the wrong SC:( ). So, did a Southeastern school only have a shot at that Cali prospect only because of her agent? Perhaps Jade Li can offer transferees private NIL opportunities.

But I'll ask you. What "transfer 'bonuses' 0r enrollment 'bonuses' disguised as NIL" does LSU offer? Or UConn? Or Notre Dame? Or Stanford? Can you answer the question about any school? Let's say that's why I took exception to your post singling out SCar. Can you point to ANY school (other than Miami) and say: They (or their alums) do or do not pay signing "bonuses?"
I never said that SC actually did it. I was just raising all the questions about the system that has been created. Do you really want an auction for high school players? Do we really want them to have agents and take their cut of the mysterious sign on bonus? How about contracts? Do the coaches take the agents calls when the player is unhappy for fear of the transfer portal? If they break a contract do the same rules apply? The problem is that this payment part of the sinister two punch combination of both NIL to begin with and then the portal is private and probably only known to the donor, the player and the IRS, hopefully. It is what we call 'fraught with peril". I see the big schools with the big alumni in major sports dominating the landscape in the future. It didn't happen in men's basketball this year due to the Covid year but that is gone in two seasons. 5th year seniors are a proven valuable commodity.

Reaction Score
SCar pays wbb players 25,000 per year. No signing bonuses for transfers. PERIOD.

So, what does UConn pay?
Very interesting. Thanks for this information.

This is a huge step in the right direction in terms of transparency and making the first step toward the promise of a free liberal society.

I think you end with a great question and while it's directed at UConn I believe it's more broadly an indictment of the vast majority of schools that have made the decision to live in an opaque world for a wide variety of reasons.

Reaction Score
Very interesting. Thanks for this information.

This is a huge step in the right direction in terms of transparency and making the first step toward the promise of a free liberal society.

I think you end with a great question and while it's directed at UConn I believe it's more broadly an indictment of the vast majority of schools that have made the decision to live in an opaque world for a wide variety of reasons.
It really was directed to the poster to whom I was responding and who hurled an "indictment" at SCar. Its not really an indictment of what any school does. It's an indictment who fans who think "University of X does it because they have big alumni/tv money" while not bothering to learn what their own school does.

adc

Reaction Score
Can't read the NY Times article.

Billionaire Miami attorney John Ruiz has paid out upwards of $10 million this season to Univ of Miami Men's and Women's basketball teams. He has enticed several players to transfer to Miami..

At the same time the state of Florida has improved their NIL laws to better favor their athletes over other competitive NIL states. Florida's New NIL Law Removes Potential Restrictions for Student-Athletes | RumbergerKirk.

Going to be hard to compete with this.
RE: can't read NY times article..... I just click his link and it opened right up.... I have no "subscription" with them... try it again... I am using a computer... not my iPhone

Reaction Score
It really was directed to the poster to whom I was responding and who hurled an "indictment" at SCar. Its not really an indictment of what any school does. It's an indictment who fans who think "University of X does it because they have big alumni/tv money" while not bothering to learn what their own school does.
You still don't get it. It's not about what SC or UCONN or LSU does, it's about what any school or booster or corporate sponsor run by a booster CAN DO because of the nature of the system that the NCAA created. Believe me, I know all about proof and indictments and I was not accusing SC of impropriety. I was merely challenging your pie in the sky view of the new system because there is always going to be a part of the NIL and transfer portal we will never see and I believe that is the Achilles heel of the entire new NCAA structure. It's started already. Instead of "Sneakergate" we will have "Boostergate". U of Miami was 11-11 in the Covid year of 2020-2021, then 21-13 in 2021-2022 and won one game in the NCAA. In 2022-2023- they went to the Elite 8 only to lose to the eventual National Champ LSU. The penalties were not even levied for the money but rather the allegedly recruiting type behavior of a donor. The "harsh" penalties imposed, one year on probation( so be cool for a year), minor recruiting sanctions, and a 3 game suspension for the coach. Nothing to prohibit contact with the alleged booster.Typical NCAA weakness. So is it worth it to use the money? You decide.

sun

Reaction Score
So, what does UConn pay?
It's been posted here before that UConn pays all athletes $6K per year for getting good grades.

I figure that UConn uses a subsidiary (like a shell company) to deal with NIL merchandise contracts.
That way the school can sell UConn licensing fees and leave the NIL stuff for the subsidiary to work out.
The NCAA requires that all NIL contracts be reported to the school but they don't make the details public.
Some major NIL contracts get reported by the media but are usually thin on providing details.

The other day I saw a beer billboard on I-84 East congratulating the UConn Huskies men for winning the NC.

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

About that.

Reaction Score
You still don't get it. It's not about what SC or UCONN or LSU does, it's about what any school or booster or corporate sponsor run by a booster CAN DO because of the nature of the system that the NCAA created. Believe me, I know all about proof and indictments and I was not accusing SC of impropriety. I was merely challenging your pie in the sky view of the new system because there is always going to be a part of the NIL and transfer portal we will never see and I believe that is the Achilles heel of the entire new NCAA structure. It's started already. Instead of "Sneakergate" we will have "Boostergate". U of Miami was 11-11 in the Covid year of 2020-2021, then 21-13 in 2021-2022 and won one game in the NCAA. In 2022-2023- they went to the Elite 8 only to lose to the eventual National Champ LSU. The penalties were not even levied for the money but rather the allegedly recruiting type behavior of a donor. The "harsh" penalties imposed, one year on probation( so be cool for a year), minor recruiting sanctions, and a 3 game suspension for the coach. Nothing to prohibit contact with the alleged booster.Typical NCAA weakness. So is it worth it to use the money? You decide.
Ok. Peace:)

Reaction Score

It’s not just for the best players either, it’s also tied to has the most followers on social media too. I’m sure it would surprise most UConn fans that the Cavinder twins on Miami’s women’s squad, who today announced they wouldn’t use their Covid year of eligibility, have 5 million more followers than Paige. Their NIL earnings are nearing 2 million $, and are in the top five of all female athletes, along with being in the top 10 of all college athletes. Florida has recently updated their NIL laws, making them more athlete friendly, hoping to attract players to their schools. I have no idea where this arms race in college sports will end, but until there are nationwide laws and regulations I assume it’s the Wild West, & any school with willing wealthy benefactors will have a leg up & the rich will get richer. JMO

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
First of all, that case doesn't say what you think it does. It occurred after the NIL rules was adopted and only involved the regulations the NCAA adopted pursuant to it. Secondly, what about the U. of Miami booster who gave 10 million to the men's and women's basketball teams? What about the boosters all over the country who gave money to the various NIL funds? To say that only commercial sponsors and merchandise sales funds are going into these funds cannot possibly be true. I will test the proposition myself. I will send $ to a random college athletic NIL fund and see if it is returned.
You are incorrect. The Supreme Court allows athletes to profit from their NIL, not the NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom