End Game 101 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

End Game 101

Reaction Score
Sometimes I wonder if all of us were watching the same game. Clearly, UConn is a more skilled basketball team, but USF absolutely killed us inside all night. They out rebounded us 36-27 and they had 15 offensive rebounds to our 5. Their 4 front court guys were 10/14 from 2 point range! USF's front court was too big and strong for UConn's as they go 7'2'' 250 lbs, 6'10" 247 lbs, 6'11" 214 lbs, and 6'6" 223 lbs.

Manderson, a 6'10" 247 lbs senior, had his way inside. He was 6/7 shooting with 8 rebounds in 30 minutes. None of our bigs could cover him, although Onuorah seemed to be the only one who could body him. I'm not arguing that Dave O is a good big, but he is the strongest big we have right now. This was a game in which we needed Cobb.

Our freshmen forwards are not physically ready to compete. Whaley and Polley are listed at 6'8' and 190 lbs, Diarra is listed at 6'8" (doubtful) and 213 lbs, and Carlton is listed at 6'9" and 242 lbs, but he is not strong yet. Dave O is listed at 6'9" and 249 lbs and he is noticeably the strongest big we have without Cobb who is listed at 6'9" and 280 lbs.

You can't double down on USF's bigs without giving them wide open 3s. USF did have some good looks from 3, but they only shot 21%. So, we relied on our bigs to defend USF's bigs and it did not work.

Our guards have more talent than USF's, but even USF's guards were physically stronger than our guards as their 4 guards outweighed our 4 guards by >20lbs. per player.

Reaction Score
Now, let's look at the final 2:00 of the game. UConn has the ball up 8.

1:46: Adams unforced TO as he drove to the hoop and lost it out of bounds.
1:42: Collins blows by lackadaisical defense by Larrier and Dave O tries to talk a charge and fouls. Problem was Larrier.
Collins makes both FTs.
1:36: Dave O fouled about 50 feet away from the ball. Should have been an intentional foul given the circumstances. Dave O misses front tend of 1 and 1.
1:19: Jiggetts drives by Vital and is fouled by Vital. Dave O makes sure no basket.
Dave O goes out. Carlton is in.
1:16: Adams fouled. Dave O in, Carlton out. Adams makes 2 FTs.
1:03: Jiggetts blows by Anderson and Dave O fouls out. Jiggetts makes 2 free throws. Polley in.
UConn up by 4.
1:02: USF fouls Vital. Misses 2 FTs.
0:54: USF misses layup.
0:51: Anderson bad inbounds pass to Adams. Turnover.
0:38: USF make jumper.
UConn up by 2.
0:10: Adams fouled makes 1 out of 2 free throws.
UConn up 3.
USF misses 3 pointer.

And people think it was coaching?

UConn was up 8 with less than 2 minutes to go. Adams had an unforced TO, USF's guards blew by Larrier, Vital, and Anderson on three separate plays with Larrier's defense especially bad. Dave O is fouled 50 feet from the ball, which should have been an intentional foul given the circumstances. Anderson throws a bad pass to Adams on an inbound play. And, UConn makes 3 out of 7 FTs in the final 2 minutes including 3 out of 6 from our two best guards.

As for Dave O vs Carlton, going into the game, Dave O was shooting 64% from the line and Carlton was shooting 68%.

Reaction Score
And yet under Ollie, we were perfect in endgame play in the 2014 tourney.

I think he understands endgame strategy. I also think he can teach basketball skills.

I also think he does not have players who trust or buy into what he's teaching, which results in rudderless offense and stuoid endgame decisions.

That's still on Ollie. Coaching is 24/7/365. It's in every part of who you are and the example you set.

I wouldn't listen to that jabroni on tje court either, knowing what he's done

Reaction Score
Hindsight is 20/20

That's less hindsight and more common sense in a common situation at the end of the game. What's the other team going to do? Try to foul your worst free throw shooter and try to stop the clock whenever possible. What does the team with the lead have to do? Hit free throws and not turn the ball over. Pretty basic stuff that has nothing to do with hindsight

Reaction Score
I remember the play they ran against St. Joe's at the end of regulation. They didn't score but was one of the best full court inbounds plays I'v seen.

Reaction Score
Vital makes mistakes like the rest of the team. I will take him in a heartbeat. He is my favorite player even last year coming off the bench as a freshman playing with the big boys. He charges to the basket, steals, rebounds. Sure I agree he does make some bonehead mistakes. He doesn't stop playing. He makes it his business to try and do it all. He is missing 3 point shots, Huge slump. However how many times this year he went off and played a great game?
But he isn't more than a 7th man on a good UConn team. I love his heart. He just isn't that good.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
That's less hindsight and more common sense in a common situation at the end of the game. What's the other team going to do? Try to foul your worst free throw shooter and try to stop the clock whenever possible. What does the team with the lead have to do? Hit free throws and not turn the ball over. Pretty basic stuff that has nothing to do with hindsight

KO trusts all his players to hit free throws. Bottom line is everyone should hit their free throws. If KO doesn't put his players in difficult situations now how are they going to react when the game is on the line in a bigger game when they need to hit their free throws. Or he can baby them and sit them down and let CV take all the free throws.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It is hard to overstate the travesty of last night's game. In order to eke out a homecourt win over one of the worst teams in D1, we had to sit down all four freshmen in the final minutes -- Carlton, Whaley, Polley and Diarra -- and go with four guys who probably have 7-8 games left to play in a UConn uniform. It's February, remember, our freshmen are no longer "freshmen." They're supposed to be contributing members of the team. Their development is supposed to be a top priority. In a season that's going absolutely nowhere, it's time to win with these guys or go down trying. If it were not laughable to say that KO does anything "systematically," one could say that KO is systematically turning what's left of this season into a total irrelevancy, void of purpose or interest.

Tell that to Jay Wright who was forced to play a bunch of freshmen due to foul trouble and lost the game last night because of that.
Playing freshmen who aren't ready for crunch time is not an easy thing to do
Your "no longer freshmen" is a great argument for those who start and play a ton of minutes - not kids who haven't
If he kept them in and they lost last night you and the rest of the hang KO gang would be out for blood with a different argument.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There's lots of people who forget about this because it doesn't fit their current argument
And then there are some who think JC was sending smoke signals to the players from the stands
Not saying that KO is blameless but you can only go as far as the current talent level (due to inexperience or just talent) allows you.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
When you have a late lead and you’re looking to run the clock and get out with the W, your main goals are hitting your free throws and not fouling to stop the clock. It’s so simple in theory.

UConn, with 1:42 left and an eight-point lead, instead keeps a guy in the game who can’t hit free throws and cannot stop himself from fouling. True to form, that player misses the front end of a one and one and he commits his fourth and fifth fouls which sends USF to the line where they score four points.

By 1:03, that player is on the bench with five fouls and the lead is cut in half.

This is like watching an AAU team.
i watched Trinity Catholic almost blow an 8 point lead to Warde last week with 50 sec left. They fouled ward near midcourt twice not even 20 sec apart.

C

Chief00

When you have a late lead and you’re looking to run the clock and get out with the W, your main goals are hitting your free throws and not fouling to stop the clock. It’s so simple in theory.

UConn, with 1:42 left and an eight-point lead, instead keeps a guy in the game who can’t hit free throws and cannot stop himself from fouling. True to form, that player misses the front end of a one and one and he commits his fourth and fifth fouls which sends USF to the line where they score four points.

By 1:03, that player is on the bench with five fouls and the lead is cut in half.

This is like watching an AAU team.

Look what an Ivy League degree will do for you. On second thought they must have some UNC type classes.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I can think of three things that have changed since then:
th

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
As for Dave O vs Carlton, going into the game, Dave O was shooting 64% from the line and Carlton was shooting 68%.

I understand that using his career numbers works against your argument, but good god, Onuorah had converted all of four free throws going into last night’s game. Four. He’s now made four of nine. (Carlton was 21-31.)

He should not have been in the game. Thank you for the laugh.

Reaction Score
Gosh

We now see the confluence of Glen Miller & TJ Weist fan boys. Let’s be clear ... replacing Miller is not the cause of this seasons malaise. He was just OK in the first chair; and Ollie needed to make a change. I’m not sure he selected the right guy for gameday.

Reaction Score
Tell that to Jay Wright who was forced to play a bunch of freshmen due to foul trouble and lost the game last night because of that.
Playing freshmen who aren't ready for crunch time is not an easy thing to do
Your "no longer freshmen" is a great argument for those who start and play a ton of minutes - not kids who haven't
If he kept them in and they lost last night you and the rest of the hang KO gang would be out for blood with a different argument.

If the freshmen aren’t good enough to play against the worst team in the league then who are they good enough to play against?

If the freshmen aren’t good enough to beat out DO and AA for minutes, then who are they good enough to beat out for minutes?

If not now, when? What exactly is the goal? For Nova, it’s to get a #1 seed. So sure, you may not want PT for their freshmen.

But UConn? What are we playing for? Avoiding playing the first night of the AAC tourney?

At this point shouldn’t it be to get the freshmen experience this year so they are ready for next?

Nothing personal against DO and AA but they’re marginal D1 players, and 5th year grad transfers to boot. How does playing them improve next years team, or even for that matter, this years?

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Is it possible that this was all a setup for Terrence Samuel's Senior Night and Brian Gregory was the bone head coach?

Reaction Score
Since the topic of rebounding position has come up, I wanted to mention a play from the USF game which stood out in my mind as being a microcosm of UConn’s rebounding troubles. Larrier took a three point corner jumper, and Vital was standing in the opposite corner when the shot went up. When the shot went long and bounced off the rim, it was predictably rebounded on the opposite side of the basket by the player who was guarding Vital, while Vital was still standing in the same spot as if he was nailed there. I have no idea what he was doing. I can understand it if UConn was pulling back after shots, rather than crashing the boards, in order to defend breaks, but he was in no position to do that. Similarly, he was not going to grab a rebound standing in the corner 20 feet away from the rim. I understand he’s a guard, but long shots lead to long rebounds, and he could have had one if he weren’t unfocused/lackadaisical/unprepared (pick one). I see that and I question how much emphasis they put on rebounding.

Reaction Score
Since the topic of rebounding position has come up, I wanted to mention a play from the USF game which stood out in my mind as being a microcosm of UConn’s rebounding troubles. Larrier took a three point corner jumper, and Vital was standing in the opposite corner when the shot went up. When the shot went long and bounced off the rim, it was predictably rebounded on the opposite side of the basket by the player who was guarding Vital, while Vital was still standing in the same spot as if he was nailed there. I have no idea what he was doing. I can understand it if UConn was pulling back after shots, rather than crashing the boards, in order to defend breaks, but he was in no position to do that. Similarly, he was not going to grab a rebound standing in the corner 20 feet away from the rim. I understand he’s a guard, but long shots lead to long rebounds, and he could have had one if he weren’t unfocused/lackadaisical/unprepared (pick one). I see that and I question how much emphasis they put on rebounding.
Vital is currently the leading rebounder on this team with 5 a game. I don't think lackadaisical/unfocused/unprepared fits him. He busts ass out there every game. Some nights he is more productive than others but his energy and effort should not be questioned.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom