Empty seats | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Empty seats

C

Chief00

They should rip all the seat backs out of the lower 1/2 of the lower bowl and put in bleachers for the students.

Should be nothing but students all the way around that section, and with no seat-backs more of them can fit in. They don’t need to sit anyway, certainly not in a seat-back.

They should then rip out all bleacher seating for the rest of the arena and replace them with seat-backs. Donors and non students want/require seat-backs.

At the end, the students will be happier (and more plentiful and louder); the non-students will be happier cuz they won’t be getting squeezed on a bleacher seat. And most importantly Gampel will be filled.

Just like the student section is filled at The Rent.

C

Chief00

I absolutely should. I was being serious.

I got the tickets yesterday to force the issue but I emphasized the "no-commitments" aspect when pitching it to Mrs. 8893 and the daughters because, well, I've learned that it goes easier that way--provided that I am prepared to accept getting shut down.

To my pleasant surprise, they are all on board and looking forward to it; my youngest even asked to stay up past her bed time last night so she could watch the game on the DVR with me after we got home from soccer, showered and ate, which she did. She was getting psyched about going on Sunday, which made me very happy.
Good job!
#ChiefCertified

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Come on people. Give it up already. This is the same student body that can’t be bothered to go to UCONN football games.
I know it’s difficult to comprehend, but this state is bankrupt. Without those hated donors Uconn has no ability to hire Hurley.

And who will be the next generation of donors? The current students? Who have to haul off campus to see most games? Think those memories of piling onto a school bus or into someone's beater are gonna tug the heartstrings?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
There was one guy close to the floor with a huge cigar in his moth...I had to laugh.
I noticed that too. But then the next time they showed him I made it a point to check it out and the cigar wasn't lit. He was just chewing on it. I don't know maybe he did an Auerbach back after we won

Reaction Score
And who will be the next generation of donors? The current students? Who have to haul off campus to see most games? Think those memories of piling onto a school bus or into someone's beater are gonna tug the heartstrings?

Maybe I am the odd one out but I actually do have good memories of loading up a car and heading to the then HCC as a student to watch games. Did I like Gampel more? Yup. But we had a blast on game nights in Hartford for 16k filling up the joint in those big games. I still donate and I still go to every home game. I do get it that students today don’t have Big East games but you are a student for only 4 years (most of us). Thats about 30 games or so in Hartford over those years. It’s 8 games between November and February. Suck it up and go support your freakin school. Maybe the kids are just more into Fortnite, Snapchat, etc. it’s not really a big commitment to go to 2 games a month in the winter. Now get off my lawn!!

Reaction Score
Can the Athletic Department do anything about the empty seats in the lower bowl? They should allow people sitting up top to be able to fill in those seats after halftime. Looks really bad on tv

Isn't there some kind of ticket exchange where people who aren't using their tickets can sell them? Or did they end that? I never had to use it so I don't really know.

They should then rip out all bleacher seating for the rest of the arena and replace them with seat-backs.

IIRC, bleacher seats weren't in the original plan. I think all seats were supposed to be chairbacks (not sure about the student section), but the project ran over budget. Putting in bleacher seats was cheaper.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Anyone else feel like the number of student buses leaving 1/2 hour before kickoff was way more than usual yesterday day? They should at least wait til halftime to shuttle them back.

Reaction Score
Since when are we calling it the Dome?

Been working on campus for 30 yrs...many people have referred to it as the Dome...but that really doesn't matter...it's what goes on inside that counts....

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
As good a place as any for my annual “move the student section courtside” argument.

I know @UofCT2009 agrees ;)
That has been a topic for years. Practically every other game I watch the students are going crazy court side. Just my opinion, it has to be done. I am no spring chicken, however watched a couple my age sitting there like a bump on a log during our boys great play. That would not be me. I would be going nuts. Students are needed court side.

Reaction Score
Yeah when you paste social media saying the game is a sellout and the sections you can see on TV are maybe half full that’s a bad look. Thanks paying the big bucks but if you can’t be there make sure you get those tickets to someone who will be.

I tried to give my tickets away Thursday night and had no takers so had 4 empty seats from me. It isn't as easy as you think when it isn't a marquee game.

I'm sure some people would rather I didn't buy them if I can't go all of the time.

Reaction Score
Attendance wasn't that great last night.

But again - attendance is down nationally for all sports. So there's that. But then w/ UConn, you also have just a parade of opponents no one cares about and/or where no one travels from the visiting teams.

Even the women's schedule - I was looking at it and the only real marquee game on the home slate is South Carolina in Hartford. All the worthwhile games are literally on the road.

I get coach's have a heavy hand in this stuff and make schedules best for winning - but someone in sports marketing in the AD needs to step in and say 'guys, this schedule is flat as a board.'

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Attendance wasn't that great last night.

But again - attendance is down nationally for all sports. So there's that. But then w/ UConn, you also have just a parade of opponents no one cares about and/or where no one travels from the visiting teams.

Even the women's schedule - I was looking at it and the only real marquee game on the home slate is South Carolina in Hartford. All the worthwhile games are literally on the road.

I get coach's have a heavy hand in this stuff and make schedules best for winning - but someone in sports marketing in the AD needs to step in and say 'guys, this schedule is flat as a board.'

I was mildly disappointed. Wasnt nearly as bad as some of the snoozefests last year, but with a new regime and hope and free tickets....I was hoping for a bit better.

The students however did a great job.

Reaction Score
The free tickets were only certain sections, not all.

so let the students sit there, there were a ton of empty seats at the game, the whole opposite side of the student section was 90% empty.

Reaction Score
Suddenly I'm feeling a bit guilty for my casual attitude about whether to drive an hour each way to bring the family up for Sunday's game--with free tickets!
I’m feeling awful bad because I thought driving to Storrs from South Western Ct was far. Loved Hartford though.
What an inspiring story maybe if there was a direct flight to Hartford I could catch some home games.
Naw It’s a lot easier watching from my Lay Z Boy. Since I must be out of the blackout area both games have been on ESPN 3 in the Phoenix. Hopefully all the games are.
Seriously If UConn can come out of MSG with a couple of wins translating that to seats in Hartford will be very interesting.

Reaction Score
I tried to give my tickets away Thursday night and had no takers so had 4 empty seats from me. It isn't as easy as you think when it isn't a marquee game.

I'm sure some people would rather I didn't buy them if I can't go all of the time.
You should have number to call to be given to some lucky folks in line. Or to let students check out the view.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom