Ellsbury a Yankee | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ellsbury a Yankee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Bottom line to me is in short term makes the Yanks better and the Sox worse. If you are going to overpay hurting your competitor makes it sting much less. Consider it 15M annual salary and 7M strike against their biggest competitor.

Sox are banking on JB Jr. being ready and comparable over long haul.

Can't really tell. It's not like Ellsbury signed on to the 2013 Yankees. Cano is gone, so how good are the Yankees, really? The Sox have options this year. If Jackie Bradley Jr. doesn't work out, they can move Victorino to center, Gomes to left full time, and Nava in right. If I'm not mistaken, the Yankees are still looking for starting pitching, 3B, 2B, OF, and BP help...oh and Jeter is 40 years old, so at least 50 games at of SS too.

Ellsbury exits the Red Sox lineup, but Victorino can lead off and has speed. They need a 1B (They are hoping Napoli give them matching options and right of 1st refusal), Utl and 5th OF and they have PR flexibility (supposedly). I'd rather have the Red Sox problems than the Yankees.

Reaction Score
Can't really tell. It's not like Ellsbury signed on to the 2013 Yankees. Cano is gone, so how good are the Yankees, really? The Sox have options this year. If Jackie Bradley Jr. doesn't work out, they can move Victorino to center, Gomes to left full time, and Nava in right. If I'm not mistaken, the Yankees are still looking for starting pitching, 3B, 2B, OF, and BP help...oh and Jeter is 40 years old, so at least 50 games at of SS too.

Ellsbury exits the Red Sox lineup, but Victorino can lead off and has speed. They need a 1B (They are hoping Napoli give them matching options and right of 1st refusal), Utl and 5th OF and they have PR flexibility (supposedly). I'd rather have the Red Sox problems than the Yankees.

I would have never guessed that 25?

Husky25

Reaction Score
That's what being a fan of the defending World Series champs affords me. It is what it is.

But the winter meetings haven't even happened yet, so things could change. Anything is possible.

Reaction Score
Beltre to 3rd and Phillips to 2nd and we're fine! LOL..........;)

Reaction Score

I thought a key Sox advantage last year was their outfield defense with Victorino in left, particularly at Fenway. Also playing RF possibly less work = less injuries for aging Victorino. Regardless, moving him to center highlights why the move made sense for Yanks as you've potentially weakened your rival at TWO positions.

Agree on the flip side that Ellsbury < Cano, but Beltre + Ellsbury is a pretty good reboot by NY.

Reaction Score
Beltre to 3rd and Phillips to 2nd and we're fine! LOL..........;)
Unless you know something I don't know, I can't see Texas trading Beltre. He played 161 games for them last year and had a solid season. He is signed thru 2015 with an option for 2016. I don't think the Yankees have much to interest the Rangers in a trade. Although, perhaps for $100,000,000 they can get the Rangers to take Arod.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I thought a key Sox advantage last year was their outfield defense with Victorino in left, particularly at Fenway. Also playing RF possibly less work = less injuries for aging Victorino. Regardless, moving him to center highlights why the move made sense for Yanks as you've potentially weakened your rival at TWO positions.

Agree on the flip side that Ellsbury < Cano, but Beltre + Ellsbury is a pretty good reboot by NY.
Victorino was the everyday rightfielder in 2013 and Fenway is generally considered the largest Right Field in the majors and generally more difficult to play than center in other parks. Gomes and Nava platooned in left.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The aging Victorino just turned 33. How old are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom