2021 Recruiting: - El Ellis | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: El Ellis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ouch. Ellis was literally unremarkable in that Chipola game. Until the last 5 minutes I don't believe he scored, or had a rebound, had 1 assist, and 1 or 2 turnovers. He accomplished nothing with the ball in his hands. On more than 1 occasion he was trying to set the offense and got driven back to mid court looking uncomfortable being pressured by a defender. Defensively Chipola hit 3-4 threes over him with non existent close outs. Then he hit 2 threes and 2 drives and 1 FT in the last 5 minutes of the game. Definitely lowered my enthusiasm.

Reaction Score
Ouch. Ellis was literally unremarkable in that Chipola game. Until the last 5 minutes I don't believe he scored, or had a rebound, had 1 assist, and 1 or 2 turnovers. He accomplished nothing with the ball in his hands. On more than 1 occasion he was trying to set the offense and got driven back to mid court looking uncomfortable being pressured by a defender. Defensively Chipola hit 3-4 threes over him with non existent close outs. Then he hit 2 threes and 2 drives and 1 FT in the last 5 minutes of the game. Definitely lowered my enthusiasm.
It was one game....he was damn near one of the best JUCO players last season

Reaction Score

In the other games posted...

vs Eastern Florida (conference semi-finals): 2/5/7 1 TO 1/5 2FG 0/3 3FG 0/0 FT

vs Gulf Coast State (Championship Game): 12/1/1 4 TO 2/8 2FG 2/7 3FG 2/2 FT

vs Penascola (2/1/20): 18/4/4 2 TO 3/7 2FG 4/8 3FG 0/0 FT

1. It is worth noting that his team has more D1 talent than basically anyone we're going to recruit outside of a kid going to Montverde or something. Even Patrick school outside of Kuminga probably doesn't have a roster full of D1 prospects at every position. I think I wrote a few days ago that all but 1 of the sophomores on his team has committed to a D1 school.

2. He is definitely a streaky player. Has multiple 30+ point outbursts, and a few clunkers too like the abysmal 2 point game vs eastern florida. A second JUCO season will be good for him.

3. His closeouts do suck. There are times he's throwing both arms up like coaches were teaching in 1973 instead of just getting into the body of shooters.

4. When he played vs Chipola a couple weeks earlier he whooped them. 22 points.. 60% from the field and 4/5 from 3. They were probably especially focused on taking him out of the game.

Reaction Score

he was battling diarrhea that game. It happens

Reaction Score

vs Pensacola

18 PTS
4 REB
4 AST
5 Potential Assist
1 Foul Assist

2 TO

1 STL

3/7 2FG
4/8 3FG
FT

1. Being guarded by #5. Some kid going to Hofstra. So a D1 player, but not high-major. I think hofstra has been around 100 in kenpom recently.
  • At 8:10 ish he makes a nice defensive slide to stop a baseline drive. He’s definitely quick. Should be a good defender when we get him bought in.
  • He is more of a willing passer in transition than I expected. Highlights make you think he’ll put his head down and go go go with it. Doing a good job of finding the trailer for the 3
  • 34:00 … splits a double team, finds a corner shooter (who doesn’t shoot for some reason even though he’s a 40% shooter from deep).. I liked that play.
  • REALLY could use to add a floater to his game. He isn’t a great finisher but gets into the FT line/4 hole area quite well
  • I don’t know if Ellis has “star potential” per se (though it is possible with development). I think he has the chance to be a solid piece on a very, very good team is how I would describe it.
  • Makes things way too difficult for himself finishing. Never goes straight up. And when he does it’s when he hasn’t closed the gate on some. He’s got it backwards.
  • I would imagine we use him as a ballhandler vs pressure in a 2 guard line up a lot. And assuming we have a great playmaker like Jackson/Gaff/Cole, let him run off ball to get catch and shoot 3s in the ½ court--seemed to do really well with that this game. Not sure he’d thrive as the ONLY PG at our level yet… When he started playing off-ball around the 9:00 mark of the second half, he went ballistic. I think made 11 straight points for his team in 4 minutes.
  • He’s an “up” defender as I call them. He plays better defense when his team is winning or on a run.. And does a lot better at it. We all know Hurley won’t let that fly.

Reaction Score
I would imagine we use him as a ballhandler vs pressure in a 2 guard line up a lot. And assuming we have a great playmaker like Jackson/Gaff/Cole, let him run off ball to get catch and shoot 3s in the ½ court--seemed to do really well with that this game. Not sure he’d thrive as the ONLY PG at our level yet…
what would you say is his biggest strength and/or what do you think hurley loves so much about him?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
what would you say is his biggest strength and/or what do you think hurley loves so much about him?

Shooting. Most important skill in the game.

He's also super quick, developing PG skills, and is at a high level of competition getting it done with solid %s. With only 2 years scholarship "risk" I'd think high-level JUCOs have a pretty high appeal IMO.

I really didn't realize until watching these games that JUCO down there is MUCH better than all but the cream of the crop high schools--there were NINE D1 players on that roster this season, and potentially more if some of the freshman other than Ellis commit anywhere. Unless you're talking about a Dematha, Montverde-type school you are not getting a kid who played with much more talent than that.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
01154712-7A60-4A1B-B176-16C53C59B216.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads