2021 Recruiting: - El Ellis JUCO update 5/21/20 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: El Ellis JUCO update 5/21/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
DH/staff is obviously highly engaged in the recruitment of El as are 20+ other programs.. El has stated in the above articles that although he came into JUCO as a non-qualifier.. He is now NCAA eligible.. Does the fact that so many other programs besides UConn are involved suggest that he could play in 2020 at a four yr school?? Or does it still mean that even though he is NCAA eligible(his words) that he has to play JUCO in 2020??Looks like his style is as a ball dominant CG who can play PG..Kind of like Fatts Russell..I've posted on this eligibilty question in the past..Don't know if "NCAA eligible" changes things for 2020 season..If it did/does.. Seems odd that we're investing this much time in his recruitment..Guess I answered my own question.LOL

Last edited:
Reaction Score
DH/staff is obviously highly engaged in the recruitment of El as are 20+ other programs.. El has stated in the above articles that although he came into JUCO as a non-qualifier.. He is now NCAA eligible.. Does the fact that so many other programs besides UConn are involved suggest that he could play in 2020 at a four yr school?? Or does it still mean that even though he is NCAA eligible(his words) that he has to play JUCO in 2020??Looks like his style is as a ball dominant CG who can play PG..Kind of like Fatts Russell..I've posted on this eligibilty question in the past..Don't know if "NCAA eligible" changes things for 2020 season..If it did/does.. Seems odd that we're investing this much time in his recruitment..Guess I answered my own question.LOL
discussed ad nauseum:

Reaction Score
discussed ad nauseum:
Did you know he is now an academic qualifier/NCAA eligible?3 yrs of athletic eligibility

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did you know he is now an academic qualifier/NCAA eligible?3 yrs of athletic eligibility

I don't think he is currently eligible. I think it's a poorly written and misleading statement.

Failing to meet the academic standards, he has since improved his academics to become NCAA eligible.

I think they mean "in order to become". As a rule, non-qualifiers have to graduate from JUCO to become eligible.

Reaction Score
I don't think he is currently eligible. I think it's a poorly written and misleading statement.

I think they mean "in order to become". As a rule, non-qualifiers have to graduate from JUCO to become eligible.
I will concede that I may be taking the quote in above article literally..It appeared to be new news..And of a positive nature for El's/DH's recruitment of him.....My source for the following quote is the "Next College Student Athlete" (NCSA).. Applies to two yr school athletes.. "To be considered a qualifier you must have registered with the NCAA Eligibility Center and have been certified by them as an academic qualifier".. It goes on to say.." In D1 if you are transferring from a 2 year school college and you have been certified as a final academic qualifier,the requirements are..." .. My point is that El's status(per El) has changed while at JUCO . I think the new status for El has 20+ CBB coaches interested in him at this time ahead of a second JUCO BB season.... NCAA eligible..All good for UConn

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From informedathlete.com:
"High-school athletes who go to a JUCO their freshman year as an NCAA Non-Qualifier:
  • Will NOT be eligible to transfer to a Division I program after just one year.
  • Will have more extensive academic requirements at the JUCO to be immediately eligible upon transfer to a Division I program (more required junior college courses)."

What to do as a Non-Qualifier

Generally, a non-qualifier is a student athlete who is attempting to transfer before completing their general education/associates degree. In Division I, if you are transferring from a two-year college and have never been certified as a final academic qualifier, the requirements to compete, practice, and receive an athletic scholarship in your first year are:
  • Attend the two-year college full-time for at least three semesters or four quarters;
  • Achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 2.000;
  • Graduate from the two-year college; and
  • Have at least 48 transferable credit hours at a semester school or 72 transferable credit hours at a quarter school, including six semester hours or eight quarter hours of English and three semester hours or four quarter hours of math.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He's not eligible for next year, and even if he was, then we would be out of the running because we've reached our scholarship limit.

Reaction Score
He's not eligible for next year, and even if he was, then we would be out of the running because we've reached our scholarship limit.
The idea is that he would redshirt and just take classes at community college, though it won't happen.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The idea is that he would redshirt and just take classes at community college, though it won't happen.

Why would he do that? If he was eligible to transfer to a school this year, he would just transfer to that school and redshirt there (if he even had to) to retain eligibility.

Reaction Score
Ellis' offers in 2020:

January: Ole Miss, East Carolina, South Alabama, NC Central

February: Texas A&M, DePaul, Nebraska

March: Louisville, Iowa State, UConn, Arizona State, NC State, Wake Forest, Wichita State

April: Virginia Tech, Texas

May: Oregon, Texas Tech, Florida

June: Georgia

In summary by conference:

SEC: 4 teams
ACC: 4 teams
Big 12: 3 teams
Pac 12: 2 teams
Big East: 2 teams
AAC: 2 teams
Big Ten: 1 team

With a list like that, his profile is similar to a top-75 HS player easily.

Talk about being popular during quarantine!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Honestly, this is the most hyped JuCo kid I can remember in a long, long while. Hope he chooses the good guys!

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
From 2 good sources said uconn is the team to beat.
But hearing he could get a blue blood offer. Not sure who.

I'm not taking this with a grain of salt and recruiting is not fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom