Edsall stepping down immediately | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Edsall stepping down immediately

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Fair question. I'll try and answer but don't know if I have the words.
"How does any of this change the talent level"? If you're speaking about the pure physical abilities, size, strength, quickness, speed, etc., ---not a thing, But...., highly tuned athletes mental and emotional states can be delicate, almost an unconscious working. A "relaxation" of the mind, leads to a "calmness" of the body, enabling it to be more clear & open to on field communication for example, one is more "aware" of the time and space he is in, things slow down, confidence grows, even the clouds above set against the deep blue clear New England Autumn sky, the fresh color of the green grass field... you notice,"feel", if you will, in a new way. You're in the "Right Place" at the right time-Now. And so you find yourself moving to a spot more effortlessly, your speed hasn't changed but your recognition of your defensive/offensive keys for instance has, and so you arrive a split second earlier, a cut instinctively comes a split second sooner and that may make all the difference.
A New Beginning..., we know, like the kids we used to be, we won't be "yelled at" so harshly if we make a mistake, we are now free. We belong here.
I read this twice. Second time I played "The Age of Aquarius" in the background and it was a better read.

Reaction Score
I thought you had a different version of Twitter than I did last night
;)
I even double checked Edsall's Twitter account before I posted. I have no idea what happened. Hope it was a cosmic ray playing with my phone.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I will say, as a die hard UConn basketball fan...it feels great to root for UConn football's success now that basketball has been saved. Before the Big East move, a successful (or even mediocre) football program stuck in the AAC would have been the death of UConn basketball. We're probably the only school in the country that has had basketball and football fans pitted against each other to try to save our favorite program lol.
We are the only fanbase like this that I know of and it's pathetic. Even with the bball fans getting their wish of rejoining the NBE, they still want the FB to go away. I had a whole conversation with a good friend yesterday about how the FB program is essential to the AD. He said it was not true and the program is an embarrassment and should just be dropped. My friend is a huge FB guy too, yet he grew up with UConn bball and thinks we need to just "accept" that's what we are as a school. It's embarrassing that our own alumnus and fans can't cheer for ALL UConn teams, no matter the sport. It's even worse when your own fan base are actively stating that the football team should be scrapped.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Someone did take control. Dave told Randy the way things were going to go. Edsall was insulted that AD Dave thought he was going to call any shots whatsoever. AD Dave showed him the door. Dave didn’t see it coming that Randy would be that stubborn. Dave hasn’t known Randy as long as we have.

No big deal. We have a good AD who does what he needs to do. There isn’t any crisis here beyond the one we already had after the Fresno game. Not sure why you are worked up.

He brought Randy back to get rid of Diaco on the cheap. It wasn’t a terrible experiment until Edsall pushed Lashlee out the door.

The basketball schedule is pretty good when you account for early tourneys. JC liked a weak OOC schedule too. We are looking to end seasons at 32-3.
Hyperbole galore
Misinformation abounds

1. Unless you sat in the room with RE and AD the db you have no idea what went on. If DB had control it wouldn't have taken until Sunday to have RE retire - it was reactionary at best
2. Lashlee and his family pushed Lashlee out - when will you Lashee tear jerkers understand that Lashlee wouldn't have taken $3Mill per year to stay in Storrs
3. JC did not like a weak schedule - could not be further from the truth - his goal was to play the best to become better - not 32-3 but NC

Reaction Score
We are the only fanbase like this that I know of and it's pathetic. Even with the bball fans getting their wish of rejoining the NBE, they still want the FB to go away. I had a whole conversation with a good friend yesterday about how the FB program is essential to the AD. He said it was not true and the program is an embarrassment and should just be dropped. My friend is a huge FB guy too, yet he grew up with UConn bball and thinks we need to just "accept" that's what we are as a school. It's embarrassing that our own alumnus and fans can't cheer for ALL UConn teams, no matter the sport. It's even worse when your own fan base are actively stating that the football team should be scrapped.

It is pathetic. I am a huge supporter of both. However, it is entirely within reason to see why we are unique in this regard. We are the only school with our predicament. We were killing the golden geese in the AAC and we had an option of restoring the basketball programs in the Big East. This would have caused issues for other schools too.

For all the bashing of UConn, we are the only school in the country that could pull off an Indy football team with its own tv deal and have national championship caliber Men’s and Women’s Basketball teams. This battle we find ourselves in to accommodate all three sports and win the way UConn fans are used to is complicated and unique only to us. In fighting would happen at any school in our situation.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It is pathetic. I am a huge supporter of both. However, it is entirely within reason to see why we are unique in this regard. We are the only school with our predicament. We were killing the golden geese in the AAC and we had an option of restoring the basketball programs in the Big East. This would have caused issues for other schools too.

For all the bashing of UConn, we are the only school in the country that could pull off an Indy football team with its own tv deal and have national championship caliber Men’s and Women’s Basketball teams. This battle we find ourselves in to accommodate all three sports and win the way UConn fans are used to is complicated and unique only to us. In fighting would happen at any school in our situation.
I agree we are one of a few schools to pull it off yet I don't imagine schools have different fan bases hoping one program goes away. Do Kansas bball fans not cheer for their terrible FB team?

It's just really disappointing and embarrassing that our fan base acts like this. Support all of your programs. No one is saying you need to give your full support to one or the other, but this animosity towards the FB is ridiculous. Especially after the bball crowd got their wish and got to the NBE

Reaction Score
Randy's coached in the Big East, AAC, ACC, B1G. Maybe he'll end up at UCF, in some capacity, and check the big 12 off his list.

costanza.gif

Reaction Score

I strongly feel this is a mostly a small biased sample size thing. If you get beyond a small % of BY MBB hardos, I think that the vast majority of UConn MBB fans want football to succeed and also understand that the team needs to for us to be a viable overall athletic department.

Every single one of my friends are strong UConn ATHLETICS fans. Every single one. Talking dozens. Maybe I've just found the right subgroup to hang with, but I think it's more like a reasonable representative sample of the average UConn athletics fan.

It's a fun narrative to peddle, but I really don't think it's that true.

Reaction Score
Hyperbole galore
Misinformation abounds

1. Unless you sat in the room with RE and AD the db you have no idea what went on. If DB had control it wouldn't have taken until Sunday to have RE retire - it was reactionary at best
2. Lashlee and his family pushed Lashlee out - when will you Lashee tear jerkers understand that Lashlee wouldn't have taken $3Mill per year to stay in Storrs
3. JC did not like a weak schedule - could not be further from the truth - his goal was to play the best to become better - not 32-3 but NC
It is pretty obvious that Dave Benedict is a good AD and knows what he is doing. I don’t need to be in the room to know he gets his hands dirty and calls the shots. He’s tried to force staff changes on our last two coaches. He and Randy had words because Dave isn’t a pushover, otherwise Randy would be finishing the season.

JC definitely played a lot of cupcakes. He liked to get the team clicking on all cylinders before tough games if he could. We positively did not play the most challenging OOC schedules.

Lashlee was miserable and stifled by Randy. I tend to think Lashlee leaving had a lot to do with the job itself, not just the location. If I loved my high paying job in Oklahoma or Arkansas and it fulfilled me, my wife would support me. He had to leave because Randy was going to ruin his career by controlling the offense that Lashlee was perceived to be running. If he has wife was unhappy, that just expedited it

Reaction Score
It is pretty obvious that Dave Benedict is a good AD and knows what he is doing. I don’t need to be in the room to know he gets his hands dirty and calls the shots. He’s tried to force staff changes on our last two coaches. He and Randy had words because Dave isn’t a pushover, otherwise Randy would be finishing the season.

JC definitely played a lot of cupcakes. He liked to get the team clicking on all cylinders before tough games if he could. We positively did not play the most challenging OOC schedules.

Lashlee was miserable and stifled by Randy. I tend to think Lashlee leaving had a lot to do with the job itself, not just the location. If I loved my high paying job in Oklahoma or Arkansas and it fulfilled me, my wife would support me. He had to leave because Randy was going to ruin his career by controlling the offense that Lashlee was perceived to be running. If he has wife was unhappy, that just expedited it
Lashlee has two sets of young twins. Ya don't think his wife wanting to be near family/friends in the south had something to do with his departure

Reaction Score
John what would you have done in his position?
Why is he to blame for the financial issues?
I don't know what I would have done. But I am not getting paid for that job.
He is responsible for budget, revenue, marketing and performance. I wouldn't frame it as blame, I would be curious about how much they missed their targets by.

Neutral wasn't going to happen. But there is no way $40M deficit was expected and reasonable.

Reaction Score
Lashlee has two sets of young twins. Ya don't think his wife wanting to be near family/friends in the south had something to do with his departure
That is an excuse. Went from Dallas to Miami. That isn't a road trip. Probably didn't like the weather or the people/culture. That is fine.

People mistake the reserved New Englander as rude/snotty. In fact, we are just more private than they are down south. New Englanders are very respectful of other people's space and privacy. Down south? Everyone knows your business. It drove my sister nuts when she moved. People coming over to introduce themselves and get your life story. LOL.

Reaction Score
No matter how big of a football fan you are, there was no way you could sacrifice the basketball program for football. Like it or not, our entire brand as a university is basketball. Without basketball, we don’t become a top 20 public university. That’s just a fact.

But now that basketball is saved, there is no reason to not put all of our available resources into trying to rebuild a successful football program. I think we can do very well as an independent, and the scheduling + TV deal is a good indicator of that. I hope our next coach can make us a respectable program again. More FB revenue would be a big boost to our athletic department too

Reaction Score
This is the problem right here. You think the Auburn board is referencing Lao Tzu?

well maybe if they’re taking about foofy dogs, but that’s it
Maybe, but they probably spell it Low Zoo. "You know that Chinese fella?"

Reaction Score
Maybe

Lashlee can read a football roster. UConn was not going 10-3 while fully running his offense. One successful season at SMU and he was gone to someplace better.

Reaction Score
Maybe

Lashlee can read a football roster. UConn was not going 10-3 while fully running his offense. One successful season at SMU and he was gone to someplace better.
Look, I know that there are probably several reasons Lashlee left, but being told (and yelled at on the sideline) to run a terrible, old fashion and ineffective offense had to be one of them.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I agree we are one of a few schools to pull it off yet I don't imagine schools have different fan bases hoping one program goes away. Do Kansas bball fans not cheer for their terrible FB team?

It's just really disappointing and embarrassing that our fan base acts like this. Support all of your programs. No one is saying you need to give your full support to one or the other, but this animosity towards the FB is ridiculous. Especially after the bball crowd got their wish and got to the NBE

Name another school where the FB/BB interests are as divided, conference wise.

Every other school has a simpler setup. They're in the ideal conference for geography and/or finance, and it's shared across all sports. Those not in a good geography fit (WVU, BCU, Cuse, etc) can wipe their tears with benjamins. Others either don't field FB, or aren't a major enough player to complain.

Reaction Score
That is an excuse. Went from Dallas to Miami. That isn't a road trip. Probably didn't like the weather or the people/culture. That is fine.

People mistake the reserved New Englander as rude/snotty. In fact, we are just more private than they are down south. New Englanders are very respectful of other people's space and privacy. Down south? Everyone knows your business. It drove my sister nuts when she moved. People coming over to introduce themselves and get your life story. LOL.

Spot on. I wish more people understood this about New Englanders. Drives me nuts when people think I’m rude because I don’t ask you personal questions all the time or that I am not constantly looking to strike up a detailed conversation.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Name another school where the FB/BB interests are as divided, conference wise.

Every other school has a simpler setup. They're in the ideal conference for geography and/or finance, and it's shared across all sports. Those not in a good geography fit (WVU, BCU, Cuse, etc) can wipe their tears with benjamins. Others either don't field FB, or aren't a major enough player to complain.
I would say BYU but they're about to fix that.

Reaction Score

I remember when I got to college and met someone from South Carolina who was upset that people on the street didnt say hello.
My response: "Hell no! The only people who say hello to strangers on the street are perverts."

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
No matter how big of a football fan you are, there was no way you could sacrifice the basketball program for football. Like it or not, our entire brand as a university is basketball. Without basketball, we don’t become a top 20 public university. That’s just a fact.

But now that basketball is saved, there is no reason to not put all of our available resources into trying to rebuild a successful football program. I think we can do very well as an independent, and the scheduling + TV deal is a good indicator of that. I hope our next coach can make us a respectable program again. More FB revenue would be a big boost to our athletic department too
Scheduling may get harder going forward with the B10, ACC, PAC10 alliance.

Reaction Score
Hyperbole galore
Misinformation abounds

Lashlee left because mostly because the money was bad. The idea that his wife didn't like the snow or CT is a cover story. He interviewed at Rutgers! Another program in disarray but on a better financial footing than UConn.

Reaction Score
Look, I know that there are probably several reasons Lashlee left, but being told (and yelled at on the sideline) to run a terrible, old fashion and ineffective offense had to be one of them.
Agree. And the low relative comp$ was another reason

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom