Edsall stepping down immediately | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Edsall stepping down immediately

Reaction Score
Yes. This is the point. Edsall didn’t retire before talking to the AD so he wouldn’t be fired. They were both on board before the announcement yesterday. Something happened between yesterday afternoon and today.

Probably the only thing that changed is Spanos agreed to take the job. Maybe he needed some time to think about it.

Reaction Score
Well...Feldman has sources...what about the local guys?
I think the local guys have to be a lot more careful with what they put out there. UConn is their only source of content and if they piss off the wrong people, their access to content is cut off.

Reaction Score
If Randy publicly announced an end of year retirement without consulting with AD Dave I can understand him being more than a little upset. Probably stewed over it until he was furious. With no inside info that's hard to know but it falls somewhere between poor judgement and insubordination.

Reaction Score
Hey Guys!

In the immortal words of Animal House's classic Dean Wormer: " Put a sock in it Edsall or you'll be outta here like SZIT through a goose!" HE'S OUT!!!!!!!!!

Finally! A FRESH, NEW BEGINNING for Huskie FB, fans, & especially the players - without that walking bummer of a turn-coat, incompetent Huskie HC ruining our autumn fun every year.

It took 24 Hours for the vaunted UConn Leadership to finally come to its senses.

HOORAY! FOR THE PLAYERS! RIGHT-ON! FOR UCONN FB & FANS!

Perhaps someone from above read a post or two right here about Edsal as an ongoing threat to anything good happening at UConn - especially for the players. Our "Edsel" can now cruise off into retirement with millions of unearned dollars he made off the broken bodies of his young, discouraged players. Does that seem fair?!?

It's a New Dawn at UConn, Friends! Say Hallelujah!

Signed,

A Relieved Father Demo! (it's all about the players. Let's support Spanos!)

Reaction Score
Crazy train.

Edsall didn’t even work with Benedict on this.

Locker room issues…. Not the first time with Randy. He had an issue in the locker room in 2006 too. Moorhead saved Randy’s ass.

Reaction Score
My completely uneducated guess as to what went down, given the minimal facts/gossip available atm:

1. RE announces his resignation as a pre-emptive strike, preventing DB from firing him.

2. DB decides to take the high road and puts out a statement, one that notably says retirement is Randy's decision and that DB will continue to review.

3. RE & DB's meeting today doesn't go well, to say the least, and DB says "sayonora" (we can always throw in a locker room blow up just for fun).

I could be right. I could be wrong. Not sure what else makes logical (not emotional) sense.

A boy can dream...

This is what happened. No incompetence by the AD, just a showdown. Dave didn’t like what he heard. Same thing he did with Diaco when Bob refused having Jerry Kill help him succeed.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
For those who couldn’t catch it live…

AD DB: we need to find a coach on campus to save the football program.

Dan Hurley: How about me?

AD DB: “wait… we will take off your glasses and give you a new name. No one will know.”

Dan Hurley takes off his glasses

AD DB: “yup, that works.”

Jon Rothstien tweets from somewhere in the world “Lou Spanos, the carpenter.”

Reaction Score
What has he done wrong exactly?
Nothing. By all accounts Benedict has likely saved UConn's athletic department. Moving basketball to the Big East and hiring Hurley was massive. And going Indy + securing a national TV deal for the "worst" program in CFB over the past decade...the Indy scheduling has been awesome too. He didn't have much of a choice with the RE2.0 hire. We had no money and a Diaco buyout hanging over us. This time he gets a clean slate and 5 months to open up the donors pockets to make a splash hire

Reaction Score
Crazy train.

Edsall didn’t even work with Benedict on this.

Locker room issues…. Not the first time with Randy. He had an issue in the locker room in 2006 too. Moorhead saved Randy’s ass.
As I said, the players get a vote one way or the other. The only question is how it happens.

Reaction Score
Nothing. By all accounts Benedict has likely saved UConn's athletic department. Moving basketball to the Big East and hiring Hurley was massive. And going Indy + securing a national TV deal for the "worst" program in CFB over the past decade...the Indy scheduling has been awesome too. He didn't have much of a choice with the RE2.0 hire. We had no money and a Diaco buyout hanging over us. This time he gets a clean slate and 5 months to open up the donors pockets to make a splash hire
I’m really hoping Spanos is the guy. But having the time to figure out if he is, is also very advantageous. You can’t mess up a 5-6 month hiring process. I think.

Reaction Score
AD DB showed the world he is in control of the UCONN athletic department and the football program. It was good he relieved Edsall of his duties immediately. I can't imagine being a player playing for a coach who is a lame duck and could care less about wins and losses. With Spanos, at least players know they will be playing for someone who cares about them and fighting for his job. It was definitely the right move to make a clean break from Edsall ASAP.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
If I was a player I would much rather play for an interim coach that is fighting for a job than a lame duck coach with no incentive to succeed. If there were only a couple of games left Edsall sticking around would be fine. But 10 games left the players needed to put Edsall behind them
Exactly. This also gives the others coaches at least a glimmer of hope that they might keep their jobs next year. If Edsall stayed the rest of the season ALL of the other coaches and staff would have been too busy making calls, considering options, and sending out resumes to actually do their jobs... and who would have been there to make them do them? The lamest of ducks.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This is the most that UConn football has been talked about for quite a while, and that includes on the Boneyard as well. While the circumstances have been crazy, it's great to see that all the regulars are still on the board, alive and well.

On to the next chapter together, Husky Nation. By the way...

...UConn is still undefeated with Spanos as the head coach, so just sayin'...

Reaction Score
I will say, as a die hard UConn basketball fan...it feels great to root for UConn football's success now that basketball has been saved. Before the Big East move, a successful (or even mediocre) football program stuck in the AAC would have been the death of UConn basketball. We're probably the only school in the country that has had basketball and football fans pitted against each other to try to save our favorite program lol.

Sounds like the team has new life to them with Edsall gone. I imagine the players hated him more than we do. Excited for Saturday - just keep it entertaining and I'll be happy

Reaction Score
NEXT year's football begins now. THIS year's hockey and basketball begin (for real) in October.

Reaction Score
Getting lots of crawler time on the Ol' Miss blowout and while it may not always be true....when you have hit rock bottom, there is no bad pr...
Gonna be discussed on halftime show coming up soon…

Reaction Score
Yes. This is the point. Edsall didn’t retire before talking to the AD so he wouldn’t be fired. They were both on board before the announcement yesterday. Something happened between yesterday afternoon and today.
This hurts the entire AD department. Have to be on the same darn page with your coach. On second thought, get your ass out of here?

Then Feldman, who invisibly talked to someone in the program, said there were fireworks behind the scenes.

I love Bruce, but what kind of fireworks? You can’t say a player issue unless I have examples.

I would say it was more his coaches who are like, wtf?

Someone needs to take control.

I am not excusing the AD here. Not gonna do it.
Good job on big east and Hurley, but the home hoops sked sucks. They are paying through the nose to get into the Big East.

We run a $40m deficit. We fire diaco pay a ton, fired Ollie, disaster, any time he touched football it’s been a disaster.

He fired Bob and brought Randy back. You want him to pick the next guy?

Add to that he never takes questions. Why should Spanos kick off the presser on Tuesday? He in charge or the AD?

And they have an interim president. I mean, someone needs to manage this .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Having HCRE done as of today is a new lease on life for the players and I hope they make the most of it. With any bad thing that would have happened it would have been all on Edsall who has been a colossal failure for 3 seasons and 2 games now. It was a negative cloud that has been removed and really the future starts now. Randy was drinking his own cool aide this second time around. He had clearly lost it.

Reaction Score
This hurts the entire AD department. Have to be on the same darn page with your coach. On second thought, get your ass out of here?

Then Feldman, who invisibly talked to someone in the program, said there were fireworks behind the scenes.

I love Bruce, but what kind of fireworks? You can’t say a player issue unless I have examples.

I would say it was more his coaches who are like, ?

Someone needs to take control
Someone did take control. Dave told Randy the way things were going to go. Edsall was insulted that AD Dave thought he was going to call any shots whatsoever. AD Dave showed him the door. Dave didn’t see it coming that Randy would be that stubborn. Dave hasn’t known Randy as long as we have.

No big deal. We have a good AD who does what he needs to do. There isn’t any crisis here beyond the one we already had after the Fresno game. Not sure why you are worked up.

He brought Randy back to get rid of Diaco on the cheap. It wasn’t a terrible experiment until Edsall pushed Lashlee out the door.

The basketball schedule is pretty good when you account for early tourneys. JC liked a weak OOC schedule too. We are looking to end seasons at 32-3.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom