Edsall re Indiana, don't blame me. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Edsall re Indiana, don't blame me.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Neut

Neither has. You didn’t want to see Steven Krajewski in the 2nd half? Please.
I did want to see him. I just haven’t seen you be critical of the players.

Reaction Score
If we don't simply pick and choose to pay close attention to anything anybody says we can take things all the way to the left or to the right. With Edsall, he may not get everything in the first time he talks about something, but he gets the rest in afterwards. I heard 2 things that combined together. First when we first got mollywhopped after the Indiana game, then today... IMO, it's a total team l effort regarding the loss... Edsall eluded to it. But I think what we can sometimes take away from him is how he breaks down situations involving players... Makes it sound a lot worse than what it is because we forget about what he initially stated a few days before. I get the feeling he's beating himself up too... If anybody remembers when he first got back and had the big press conference, which included a few apologies for letting us down by leaving (at least that's how I took it) it's his way of getting results. He says tough things that folks don't like to hear. He's teaching these kids how to become men... We hear a lot more crap from social media outlets through so called experts about folks...

I respect his honesty... and I think he has his players' full attention too, which is way more important than what we think...

The Coughlin disciple is showing up and showing out.

Reaction Score
If we don't simply pick and choose to pay close attention to anything anybody says we can take things all the way to the left or to the right. With Edsall, he may not get everything in the first time he talks about something, but he gets the rest in afterwards. I heard 2 things that combined together. First when we first got mollywhopped after the Indiana game, then today... IMO, it's a total team l effort regarding the loss... Edsall eluded to it. But I think what we can sometimes take away from him is how he breaks down situations involving players... Makes it sound a lot worse than what it is because we forget about what he initially stated a few days before. I get the feeling he's beating himself up too... If anybody remembers when he first got back and had the big press conference, which included a few apologies for letting us down by leaving (at least that's how I took it) it's his way of getting results. He says tough things that folks don't like to hear. He's teaching these kids how to become men... We hear a lot more crap from social media outlets through so called experts about folks...

I respect his honesty... and I think he has his players' full attention too, which is way more important than what we think...

The Coughlin disciple is showing up and showing out.
lol to all of this.

"He's teaching these kids how to become men."

Edsall never takes ownership of anything. Do as I say, not as I do. This is the same guy who made his 20 year old player be a "man" and face his teammates after a tough bowl game loss to let them know he was leaving them a year early for the NFL draft. Same time Randy can't face a room full of 18-22 year olds and be honest with them.

Yep, Randy is a real man.

Reaction Score
lol to all of this.

"He's teaching these kids how to become men."

Edsall never takes ownership of anything. Do as I say, not as I do. This is the same guy who made his 20 year old player be a "man" and face his teammates after a tough bowl game loss to let them know he was leaving them a year early for the NFL draft. Same time Randy can't face a room full of 18-22 year olds and be honest with them.

Yep, Randy is a real man.
I don't know where you grew up and played a team sport but one like football is more like bootcamp bro... Like he said today everybody's not built for this. Are you?

Reaction Score
I don't know where you grew up and played a team sport but one like football is more like bootcamp bro... Like he said today everybody's not built for this. Are you?
What are you talking about? The guy is a coward, what does Edsall being a coward have to do with boot camp?

Hold 19 year olds to a standard he won't hold himself to...I've never dealt well with frauds.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I didn't remember (if I ever knew) that the incentives are capped at $150,000 or that they were added to the prior years base.

A full list of Edsall’s incentives
Edsall can earn bonuses for the following achievements:
$10,000 for each win
$2,000 for scoring first in a given game
$2,000 for leading at halftime of a given game
$2,000 each for leading the opposing team in any of the following offensive categories:

• Points per possession
  • Number of times in the red zone
  • First-down efficiency
  • Total offense
$2,000 each for leading the opposing team in any of the following defensive categories:
  • Sacks
  • Tackles for loss
  • Points per possession
  • Turnover margin
  • Third down efficiency
  • Red zone efficiency
Additional bonuses for average points per game over a full season
  • 25-29 ppg — $20,000
  • 30-34 ppg — $25,000
  • 35-39 ppg — $30,000
  • 40+ ppg — $50,000
And for points per game allowed over a full season
  • 0-10 ppg — $50,000
  • 11-15 ppg — $40,000
  • 16-20 ppg — $30,000
  • 21-25 ppg — $20,000
  • 26-30 ppg — $10,000
$10,000 for ranking in the top six in the American Athletic Conference in each of the following offensive categories:
  • Total yards per game
  • Rushing yards per game
  • Receiving yards per game
  • Red zone efficiency
$10,000 for ranking in the top six in the AAC in each of the following special-teams categories:
  • Punt return yardage
  • Kick return yardage
  • Punt coverage
  • Kickoff coverage

Thanks for that reminder.

Based on those he doesn’t have to worry about how to handle the huge influx of extra incentive based income.

I kid, i kid.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Thanks for that reminder.

Based on those he doesn’t have to worry about how to handle the huge influx of extra incentive based income.

I kid, i kid.
Lol, well he picked up a quick $2k from the Indiana game.

Reaction Score
Unless he can show an upward trend line. If not I think Benedict hires one or more coordinator for him (probably OC) like what he did with Diaco.
Hiring another coordinator will just give Edsall someone else to blame and will he ever let A coordinator run the line the way the ooc wants. How many ocs has the AD hired that were let go mid season? Fire Edsall Instead.
Does anyone recall the last time we scored a touchdown from the red zone?

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Thanks. I didn't remember (if I ever knew) that the incentives are capped at $150,000 or that they were added to the prior years base.

$10,000 for each win
$2,000 each for leading the opposing team in any of the following offensive categories:

• Points per possession
  • First-down efficiency
  • Total offense
$2,000 each for leading the opposing team in any of the following defensive categories:
  • Sacks
  • Tackles for loss
  • Points per possession
  • Turnover margin
  • Third down efficiency
  • Red zone efficiency
  • 25-29 ppg — $20,000
  • 30-34 ppg — $25,000
  • 35-39 ppg — $30,000
  • 40+ ppg — $50,000
  • 0-10 ppg — $50,000
  • 11-15 ppg — $40,000
  • 16-20 ppg — $30,000
  • 21-25 ppg — $20,000
  • 26-30 ppg — $10,000
$10,000 for ranking in the top six in the American Athletic Conference in each of the following offensive categories:
  • Total yards per game
  • Rushing yards per game
  • Red zone efficiency
$10,000 for ranking in the top six in the AAC in each of the following special-teams categories:
  • Punt return yardage
  • Kick return yardage
  • Punt coverage
  • Kickoff coverage

The only good player we have is the punter and Edsall doesn't negotiate an incentive for it.

Reaction Score

$10,000 for each win

• Points per possession
  • First-down efficiency
  • Total offense
  • Sacks
  • Tackles for loss
  • Points per possession
  • Turnover margin
  • Third down efficiency
  • Red zone efficiency
  • 25-29 ppg — $20,000
  • 30-34 ppg — $25,000
  • 35-39 ppg — $30,000
  • 40+ ppg — $50,000
  • 0-10 ppg — $50,000
  • 11-15 ppg — $40,000
  • 16-20 ppg — $30,000
  • 21-25 ppg — $20,000
  • 26-30 ppg — $10,000
  • Total yards per game
  • Rushing yards per game
  • Red zone efficiency
  • Punt return yardage
  • Kick return yardage
  • Punt coverage
  • Kickoff coverage

I now know why the budget is so far in the red. How many assistant AD's does it take to keep track of all this?

Reaction Score
You should be careful about wishing Edsall gone. You just might get your wish. Consider that UConn hasn't got a snowball's chance of replacing him with someone better. Not since the University hit the football program over the head with a large rock and is currently holding it face down in a pool of water waiting for the thrashing to stop. Denials like "What rock?" and "Who's thrashing?" aren't what you could call credible.

Frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't left already, having been submarined like he was. If he is riding this job to retirement, the Administration has only itself to blame.
speaking frankly... where is edsall going? maryland isn't coming through that door knocking.

Reaction Score
Unless he can show an upward trend line. If not I think Benedict hires one or more coordinator for him (probably OC) like what he did with Diaco.
I think he needs four wins to keep his job. That will give him 8 wins total over three years and no bowl compared to Disco's 11 wins and one bowl. But the trend will definitely be up. That means the games v USF, UMass, and ECU are critical. Maybe Houston is in reach also.

Three wins, thus a total of 7, a bit more than half of Disco's 11, and no bowl, will probably get him replaced. October 5 will be very interesting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
speaking frankly... where is edsall going? maryland isn't coming through that door knocking.

He might just go home and retire. He's made a lot of money. He should be financially secure. He certainly didn't come to UConn for the salary. I don't understand why he would stay after he was so obviously deceived by his employers. I wouldn't assume it's because he doesn't have viable options. Maybe he just feels loyalty to his recruits.

What is important to understand is this. UConn cannot do better. A quality coach is not going to come to UConn under the conditions currently specified.

Reaction Score
What is important to understand is this. UConn cannot do better. A quality coach is not going to come to UConn under the conditions currently specified.

There are many quality/smart coaches that will take the job/challenge (coaches all have big egos) but the overwhelming vast majority of the BY and fanbase will be “WHO and FROM WHERE?”.

(I do think Edsall gets the full 5 unless something bizarre happens - flipping out coaches every 3 years isn’t the answer imo).

Reaction Score
Could have sworn Whipple was announced to be HC at UConn once. Agree Edsall not here for the money hence the lower salary. Legacy or something like that. Think he was still getting paid by MD when he came here.

Reaction Score
and if that doesn't work, we have an audition in Storrs or the QB in game 5. And then, we bring D Williams back to play QB and after that .... we rotate someone in a play at a time. Such great reads here
I guess there is no set of results that will get some fans to question HCRE2.0's handling of the team to date. Year 1 starting QB lasts 1/2 of 1st game. Year 3 starting QB lasts 1 game and when replacement freshman QB has a 9.4 QBR he keeps his starting position. Sounds like PP with Johnny M. after the Vanderbilt game. See lot of parallels between PP and HCRE2.0; both had success earlier and got fired later in careers, both out of college for a while, both run very basic run/pro style offense with inferior offensive talent and both make strange picks for QB. Making of OL coach the OC by HCRE2.0 is like PP with his sidekick.

But look at the results, no one else could have gotten UConn to 5-22 over the last couple of years. That even includes 2 FBS wins. I'm stoked for UCF, got to win us that trophy game.

Reaction Score
No attack here Whaler, I like that you preface not defending him and then proceed to do so! :D Agree.....
The coaching staff can only do so much with what they have at this point. He probably said that to fend off those that can't take the truth call it throwing the players under the bus. 27 point underdogs and there were people expecting an upset or even a closer game was simply silly at this point.

The announcer man at least twice mentioned their O line averaged 6'5" 326lbs, anyone who has seen our team in real life knows we don't match up to that. There were key players hurt, replaced by freshmen.
Some are posting like we are still in the old Big East and think we are still getting the same level players. The ones we got then had to be given time and coached up and who we get now even more so.

Coming up, 42 point dogs to UCF, can't wait to see threads like Missed Opportunity or Why? No rocket science needed on this at all. We lost a great RB coach to a bigger school, lost a OC to the NFL, not replacements one can pull out of a hat to come here. This is not all on Randy.....
Their OLine was double teaming both DTs. Curious to see how we rotate the DLine going forward.

Reaction Score
How people say it's not all on Randy when he's the guy leading the program is comical. He is in control of HIS program - he has to sell it to potential coaches, sell getting better salaries to the AD, sell the conference/opportunity to recruits, hire the right strength guy, etc, etc.

Admittedly, I don't think he's a good coach, so I have a bias, but the above is true for any coach, because if you're the boss man you own it. Every. Single. Bit of it.

Goodness I'd rather flounder around with a young kid at coach who's trying to figure it out than RE at this point.

I always think - the kids should be waring Spotbilt shoes and RE and staff should be wearing the polyester Bike coaching shorts and all have crew cuts.

Move the guy into some role in the AD (quality control - was that his gig with the Lions) so the guy isn't without a paycheck, but goodness this cluster is 100% on him so fix it.

I had more fun with BD because I'd at least laugh at the goofy stuff he said - boy that's a statement I never thought I'd say.

We had a Young Kid as Coach. It was a classic whiff. He lacked confidence ... didn’t know either positional recruitment nor what market UCONN should Fish ... hires poor offensive strategists ... and we stunk as we were boring.

I’m not telling anyone to shut up. Yell. Be loud. Care. But the first HCRE 1.0 is a good standard ... he can’t do much without lines, depth, defensive playmakers. I don’t know who is preferable ... both PP & Diaco were wrong. I like the Leipold at Buffalo or Creighton at Eastern Michigan. A guy wins big at the lower division. At UConn, you have to develop players. You’re not gonna sell 4 & 5 Stars over B1G.

Reaction Score
I think Edsall inherited a team devoid of talent with a total lack of speed. Diaco's recruiting was beyond horrendous.

I think it's fair to question why Crocker was hired and retained and the defense was allowed to be bad in historical terms. I think it's also fair to question whether the whole thing had to get to this point. It's fair to hang that on Edsall.

I have little doubt he is improving the athleticism of this program and overall talent level from the abysmal level he inherited. He'll improve the program, but I don't know if the patience is there with the fan base.

Reaction Score
We had a Young Kid as Coach. It was a classic whiff. He lacked confidence ... didn’t know either positional recruitment nor what market UCONN should Fish ... hires poor offensive strategists ... and we stunk as we were boring.

I’m not telling anyone to shut up. Yell. Be loud. Care. But the first HCRE 1.0 is a good standard ... he can’t do much without lines, depth, defensive playmakers. I don’t know who is preferable ... both PP & Diaco were wrong. I like the Leipold at Buffalo or Creighton at Eastern Michigan. A guy wins big at the lower division. At UConn, you have to develop players. You’re not gonna sell 4 & 5 Stars over B1G.

I’m guessing that the goofy bastard, BD, has a better record at the end of this year that RE2.0.

The program under RE2.0 isn’t REstorred, its REvolting and REdiculous.

Reaction Score
I’m guessing that the goofy bastard, BD, has a better record at the end of this year that RE2.0.

The program under RE2.0 isn’t REstorred, its REvolting and REdiculous.

Win Loss

But Diaco blew up the foundation. The bathrooms are sketchy. The house was shaky. The deferred maintenance would take any successor years to rebuild. Edsall has a very functional mindset and Roster recruitment. For all the whining here about bringing in FCS players ... kids actually develop in a HCRE system. When we saw them last week, we were woefully exposed as not B1G level lines & playmakers. At one point - say 2004-2008 - we were. There’s no mystery: we only have about a handful of opportunities for top kids in NE & NY. Contrary to an earlier post discussion, you need GA & FL. And QC. And that’s also not top studs immediately.

If we sunset Edsall today ... we are better off than when he arrived. Or PP exit. 7/8 DBs. Young DL. The major knock - frankly - RE hasn’t grabbed the GR transfer or pure transfer route as much as he should.

I’m sorry we are all discouraged. And we have a DAUNTING AAC schedule upcoming.

C

Chief00

Ummm, didn't HCRE2.0 PICK "Jack Zergiotis" as the starter?

Didn't HCRE2.0 have 2 years to bring in QB's? The experienced guy he brings in and makes 1st game starter, gets hurt and is assumedly ok to play again and can't beat out a freshman who played all but one series in the Indiana game and had a QB rating of 9.4.

Why not start Steven Krajewski against Illinois (is he really that bad/unready), if he plays like Jack Zergiotis played in the Indiana game "he had his chance as next guy up" and you go to Jack Zergiotis or put the 1st game starter in against Indiana if he's ok. HCRE2.0 has boxed himself into playing Jack Zergiotis until the kid really, really blows up (since Indiana was not blowing up enough as he is still the starter).
Boy I hope Jack Zergiotis really has "IT" 'cause he is going to need it against UCF.
It’s RE’s program, he has a OL coach as OC. It’s what he’s chosen and what he is responsible for.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom