Edsall re Indiana, don't blame me. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Edsall re Indiana, don't blame me.

Reaction Score
Jack Zergiotis was horrible with his passes....not hitting open players.
Sorry to all the Edsall bashers but this was the overriding problem. The game plan would have looked a lot better had the passing game approached a modicum of efficiency. It might have loosened up the run game, kept the D from getting fatigued—and provide some spark to a sideline feeling beaten. The only real criticism I had was Edsall giving Jack Zergiotis more than one series to turn his performance around at the start of the 2nd half. Steven Krajewski should have gone in much earlier.

Reaction Score
Ummm, didn't HCRE2.0 PICK "Jack Zergiotis" as the starter?

Didn't HCRE2.0 have 2 years to bring in QB's? The experienced guy he brings in and makes 1st game starter, gets hurt and is assumedly ok to play again and can't beat out a freshman who played all but one series in the Indiana game and had a QB rating of 9.4.

Why not start Steven Krajewski against Illinois (is he really that bad/unready), if he plays like Jack Zergiotis played in the Indiana game "he had his chance as next guy up" and you go to Jack Zergiotis or put the 1st game starter in against Indiana if he's ok. HCRE2.0 has boxed himself into playing Jack Zergiotis until the kid really, really blows up (since Indiana was not blowing up enough as he is still the starter).
Boy I hope Jack Zergiotis really has "IT" 'cause he is going to need it against UCF.

and if that doesn't work, we have an audition in Storrs or the QB in game 5. And then, we bring D Williams back to play QB and after that ......... we rotate someone in a play at a time. Such great reads here

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Edsall 2.0 has been quite bad but saying it’s all his fault like we haven’t gotten worse year over year through 3 different regimes is also dumb.

If you want to say the buck stops with him for recruiting, fine. We clearly aren’t getting it done and he’s having a harder time selling what we can offer versus the first time around.

The death spiral didn’t start against Indiana.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sorry to all the Edsall bashers but this was the overriding problem. The game plan would have looked a lot better had the passing game approached a modicum of efficiency. It might have loosened up the run game, kept the D from getting fatigued—and provide some spark to a sideline feeling beaten. The only real criticism I had was Edsall giving Jack Zergiotis more than one series to turn his performance around at the start of the 2nd half. Steven Krajewski should have gone in much earlier.

I think they should change QBs every time Palatine has a sadz.

Maybe the offensive line will commit fewer than 5 motion penalties a game with a different cadence on every drive.

Reaction Score
We can’t pay Edsall a normal salary what makes you think Lashlee takes a haircut to coach here?!
They will get the money the same place they got the $17 million to pay the AAC. Katseolas is not gonna put up with this and he will find a way. Maybe one more year. But the failure of the OL with that much size and experience is telling. People are complaining about the running backs, but RB's don't run unless there is blocking.

Reaction Score
Well, something has to give. Diaco was 11-26 and one bowl over 3 years and he was gone. The very best the HCRE2.0 can do is probably 6-30 and no bowls over the same period. He has a big experienced offensive line that can't do a thing. Not even surge the Wagner D off the line on a 4th and 1. A run-first offense than can't gain any yards on the ground.

The first thing that will happen is the Giuffre will step down as coordinator mid season. The sacrificial lamb thrown off the sled to protect the HC. Whether or not he retains a role or is simply let go is anyone's guess.

Then HCRE2.0 will receive an "offer" of some help with his job in the form of a new coordinator(s) at the end of the year by AD David Benedict. Edsal will probably refuse, and UConn will announce his firing. The new coach? If they really cannot find any money to make a first class hire, he will likely come from FCS ranks. If the new guy is not a miracle worker, that is where UConn is headed anyway.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I guess Steven Krajewski’s family has been at your tailgates and Jack Zergiotis’s hasn’t.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well, there is gonna be an issue at the end of this season when the wins under Edsall over 3 years are less than those of Diaco. Just sayin ....
Unless he can show an upward trend line. If not I think Benedict hires one or more coordinator for him (probably OC) like what he did with Diaco.

CL82

Reaction Score
We can’t pay Edsall a normal salary what makes you think Lashlee takes a haircut to coach here?!
We can, we just didn't. Largely because of Diaco's payout. With incentives Randy's money looks a lot better, IIRC. It's in his hands.

Reaction Score
We can, we just didn't. Largely because of Diaco's payout. With incentives Randy's money looks a lot better, IIRC. It's in his hands.

Incentives are capped @ $150k a year.

CL82

Reaction Score
Incentives are capped @ $150k a year.
Are they? In total? I feel like it was more and pretty attainable but that was based off of articles that I read, not the actual contract. Has he even signed his contract yet?

Reaction Score
Are they? In total? I feel like it was more and pretty attainable but that was based off of articles that I read, not the actual contract. Has he even signed his contract yet?

From November:

>>Edsall’s bonuses are capped at $150,000 a year and are paid out only if the Huskies score 950 or better on the Academic Progress Report scale. Last season, his year-end total reached $129,000, according to UConn.

In addition, Edsall’s base salary each year increases by the amount of bonuses he received the previous season, up to $100,000. That means Edsall earned a bump from $1 million in 2017 to $1.1 million (plus bonuses) this year. Even with the $100,000 raise, Edsall’s base salary still ranks among the lowest figures for a head coach in the American Athletic Conference, according to USA Today. Edsall, through a UConn representative, declined comment for this story.<<

CL82

Reaction Score
Thanks. I didn't remember (if I ever knew) that the incentives are capped at $150,000 or that they were added to the prior years base.

A full list of Edsall’s incentives
Edsall can earn bonuses for the following achievements:
$10,000 for each win
$2,000 for scoring first in a given game
$2,000 for leading at halftime of a given game
$2,000 each for leading the opposing team in any of the following offensive categories:

• Points per possession
  • Number of times in the red zone
  • First-down efficiency
  • Total offense
$2,000 each for leading the opposing team in any of the following defensive categories:
  • Sacks
  • Tackles for loss
  • Points per possession
  • Turnover margin
  • Third down efficiency
  • Red zone efficiency
Additional bonuses for average points per game over a full season
  • 25-29 ppg — $20,000
  • 30-34 ppg — $25,000
  • 35-39 ppg — $30,000
  • 40+ ppg — $50,000
And for points per game allowed over a full season
  • 0-10 ppg — $50,000
  • 11-15 ppg — $40,000
  • 16-20 ppg — $30,000
  • 21-25 ppg — $20,000
  • 26-30 ppg — $10,000
$10,000 for ranking in the top six in the American Athletic Conference in each of the following offensive categories:
  • Total yards per game
  • Rushing yards per game
  • Receiving yards per game
  • Red zone efficiency
$10,000 for ranking in the top six in the AAC in each of the following special-teams categories:
  • Punt return yardage
  • Kick return yardage
  • Punt coverage
  • Kickoff coverage

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I was definitely discouraged by his performance. He was definitely overthinking and aim his throws. Almost everything was off his back foot. On his drive, Steven Krajewski had a lot more conviction in his actions.

Reaction Score
Supposedly Lashlee left because his wife did not like it here. I think Lashlee left for the same reason all the other coaches left. I think he might come back for a de ent salary and Edsall gone.

Reaction Score
I don’t care where the school gets the money to hire a GOOD coach! Just get it. Fire some of the overbloated ADMINISTRATORS in the Athletic Dept. There has to be somewhere we can reduce the $72 million from the budget to come up with $2-3M.

I’m not ready to lose football. This school does things so axe backwrds it drives me crazy. They can’t seem to get anything right... . Hiring Herbst! Benedict! Ollie.Pasquloni. Disco. All got paid good $$$. We found the money then. You don’t always get what you pay for.

Sorry for the rant. I am so upset. I am 84 and I would lime to see a good competent football coach before I leave this earth and a good football winning team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Edsall has one moment where his character was tested and he failed miserably.

What's even worse, he seems to have learned nothing. He still blames the kids for losses and gives the credit to coaches for wins.

In looking for signs of progress, don't just look at wins and losses, look at performance, and look at the coaches. It's time for Randy to stand tall and accept responsibility. How can you demand responsibility from the players when you demand none from yourself? Back in the day, after a tough loss, Randy went to Danny Orlovsky and told him to take responsibility for the loss. Absolutely true. But there's someelse who needs to follow that advice. Randy can find him in the mirror.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don’t care where the school gets the money to hire a GOOD coach! Just get it. Fire some of the overbloated ADMINISTRATORS in the Athletic Dept. There has to be somewhere we can reduce the $72 million from the budget to come up with $2-3M.

I’m not ready to lose football. This school does things so axe backwrds it drives me crazy. They can’t seem to get anything right... . Hiring Herbst! Benedict! Ollie.Pasquloni. Disco. All got paid good $$$. We found the money then. You don’t always get what you pay for.

Sorry for the rant. I am so upset. I am 84 and I would lime to see a good competent football coach before I leave this earth and a good football winning team.
Love that you referred to Diaco as Disco.

Reaction Score
Neut
I guess Steven Krajewski’s family has been at your tailgates and Jack Zergiotis’s hasn’t.
Neither has. You didn’t want to see Steven Krajewski in the 2nd half? Please.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

"Hey, kid! Did I tell ya about the Ball State game when I was a freshman? HCRE has me throw deep when we're driving into gale force wind gusts. Thirty yards down field the wind hits that sucker and it drops like a quail fulla buckshot for a pick. At the post-game interview he said I needed to work on execution."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom