Edsall re Indiana, don't blame me. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Edsall re Indiana, don't blame me.

Reaction Score
Win Loss

But Diaco blew up the foundation. The bathrooms are sketchy. The house was shaky. The deferred maintenance would take any successor years to rebuild. Edsall has a very functional mindset and Roster recruitment. For all the whining here about bringing in FCS players ... kids actually develop in a HCRE system. When we saw them last week, we were woefully exposed as not B1G level lines & playmakers. At one point - say 2004-2008 - we were. There’s no mystery: we only have about a handful of opportunities for top kids in NE & NY. Contrary to an earlier post discussion, you need GA & FL. And QC. And that’s also not top studs immediately.

If we sunset Edsall today ... we are better off than when he arrived. Or PP exit. 7/8 DBs. Young DL. The major knock - frankly - RE hasn’t grabbed the GR transfer or pure transfer route as much as he should.

I’m sorry we are all discouraged. And we have a DAUNTING AAC schedule upcming.

Yes, we are all discouraged, that is one thing we all can agree on.

The university cut loose a coach that won a national title because of poor performance. Now, he was dopey enough to break rules that gave the university a “with cause” out, but we all know it was because the program was going in the wrong direction.

I just don’t believe that RE should be immune to that same scrutiny and result.

And I realize the barometer for success at each program is wildly different.

Reaction Score
I’m guessing that the goofy bastard, BD, has a better record at the end of this year that RE2.0.

The program under RE2.0 isn’t REstorred, its REvolting and REdiculous.

You clearly did not watch the last year under goofy Bob. Once Paul's guys graduated or frankly realized what he was at Navy, he was done. Let's not EVER suggest we'd be better off with that a$$clown again

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am not sure what value there is to arguing whether we would be better off if RE did not come in as the hard he has always been when he starts somewhere and, instead, allowed for a transition, including more PT to Diaco's guys en route to 3-9 records. I truly don't. I get that your upset with the program, but they have been very transparent with this thing - this is a complete rebuild with next decade firmly in mind. You can continue to fight it, but there is no turning back now. If we are not playing in a bowl in 21, he should be fired. Everyone, including RE, knows it is his program. And everyone knows he will never seek what he perceives to be a shortcut. Trusting the process sucks, but there is no argument we are bringing in better players now than we did with prior regime.

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? The guy is a coward, what does Edsall being a coward have to do with boot camp?

Hold 19 year olds to a standard he won't hold himself to...I've never dealt well with frauds.
So you don't think 19 year olds at other FBS schools aren't made to be accountable for their actions? You don't think that exists? I'm not sure where the coward part comes to play in the point Edsall is trying to get across.. I really don't. I've seen his show before (the first time he was here). Same guy... He called out guys... Got them to grow and man up a little more. That's the idea.. If that's not what you're seeing then I don't know what else to tell you. Focusing on just words he says (the talk) and not the actions (the walk) just doesn't make sense when you're talking FBS level football and beyond.. Just doesn't.. not to me anyways...

Reaction Score
You clearly did not watch the last year under goofy Bob. Once Paul's guys graduated or frankly realized what he was at Navy, he was done. Let's not EVER suggest we'd be better off with that a$$clown again
Amen

Reaction Score
So much for his OC connecting with the QB.
That, to me , might be the BIGGEST issue for us... HOLDING ON TO our Coordinators! We gotta get guys (coaching wise) who's primary responsibility is to run either our offense or defense... hell, BOTH! Stick around for awhile...

Reaction Score

This is exactly right. DB had to move Diaco out. Diaco was in no way ready to lead a program and we are paying an immense price for his complete inability to assess, recruit and develop talent.

P was a different story. He lost the program and I have no idea why, but he did. You don't get canned along with your key guy four games into a season unless something is dramatically wrong...........and something must have been dramatically wrong.

Criticize Edsall if you want, but comparing him to those two makes no sense to me.

Reaction Score
I don’t care where the school gets the money to hire a GOOD coach! Just get it. Fire some of the overbloated ADMINISTRATORS in the Athletic Dept. There has to be somewhere we can reduce the $72 million from the budget to come up with $2-3M.

I’m not ready to lose football. This school does things so axe backwrds it drives me crazy. They can’t seem to get anything right... . Hiring Herbst! Benedict! Ollie.Pasquloni. Disco. All got paid good $$$. We found the money then. You don’t always get what you pay for.

Sorry for the rant. I am so upset. I am 84 and I would lime to see a good competent football coach before I leave this earth and a good football winning team.
You're 84, and know how to use the internet this well? God Bless you.

Reaction Score
So you don't think 19 year olds at other FBS schools aren't made to be accountable for their actions? You don't think that exists? I'm not sure where the coward part comes to play in the point Edsall is trying to get across.. I really don't. I've seen his show before (the first time he was here). Same guy... He called out guys... Got them to grow and man up a little more. That's the idea.. If that's not what you're seeing then I don't know what else to tell you. Focusing on just words he says (the talk) and not the actions (the walk) just doesn't make sense when you're talking FBS level football and beyond.. Just doesn't.. not to me anyways...
Maybe you're a new fan of the program and never heard about this.

If that's not the case I can only infer you are okay with gutless behavior and want a guy to hold kids to a completely different standard than they hold themselves to.

Reaction Score
Maybe you're a new fan of the program and never heard about this.

If that's not the case I can only infer you are okay with gutless behavior and want a guy to hold kids to a completely different standard than they hold themselves to.
and maybe you're the guy that never wanted him back since your focus is on an article from 2011 when he left for a better opportunity (at the time)...
I think we need to agree to disagree...Your point is moreso about what he did when left instead of what he did when he was first here and he's trying to re-establish (with, again, less talent than others)...

Reaction Score
Did he not apologize for that as his 1st order of business when rehired? I’m sorry you can’t let go of what all agree was a very poor move on his part, but at some point you have to move on. For your own sanity.

Reaction Score
Frankly guys … nobody was happy under Jeff Hathaway. He just was not a fit for OUR Cash Cow times. How he consistently annoyed the top line HCs AND did not significantly have success raising CAPITAL from our State U stakeholders is amazing. It was a period of just … Zzzzz. Or maybe the comparable is the Disco era that existed when I was on campus.

Reaction Score
@gioff2323 goodness you need reading comprehension classes.

Where did I say we'd be better off with BD - I'll wait for that in quotes. I've stated that 1) at least he was goofy enough to make me laugh after games with his hair brained ideas and I've also said that 2) it's likely that BD will have a better record after 3 years than RE2.0. Point 1 is a fact, point 2 we'll see at the end of the year.

In Randy's ENTIRE coaching career he's had TWO, TWO winning records in conference. Think about that, out of 16 seasons when his teams were in a conference he's had a winning record twice - 13% of the time. That's the guy you want to die on the hill fighting for - jesus you have low expectations.

Reaction Score
@gioff2323 goodness you need reading comprehension classes.

Where did I say we'd be better off with BD - I'll wait for that in quotes. I've stated that 1) at least he was goofy enough to make me laugh after games with his hair brained ideas and I've also said that 2) it's likely that BD will have a better record after 3 years than RE2.0. Point 1 is a fact, point 2 we'll see at the end of the year.

In Randy's ENTIRE coaching career he's had TWO, TWO winning records in conference. Think about that, out of 16 seasons when his teams were in a conference he's had a winning record twice - 13% of the time. That's the guy you want to die on the hill fighting for - jesus you have low expectations.
He's objectively a horrible coach, there is no getting around the eye test and the numbers. As for his character, do as I say not as I do.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think Edsall inherited a team devoid of talent with a total lack of speed. Diaco's recruiting was beyond horrendous.

I think it's fair to question why Crocker was hired and retained and the defense was allowed to be bad in historical terms. I think it's also fair to question whether the whole thing had to get to this point. It's fair to hang that on Edsall.

I have little doubt he is improving the athleticism of this program and overall talent level from the abysmal level he inherited. He'll improve the program, but I don't know if the patience is there with the fan base.
I agree he has improved the talent....but by how much? Will they be a competitive FBS school in 1 or 2 years? Meaning...maybe 40-60. Or...Will all this work just result in the team not being historically bad and they are ranked around 100?

Either way, he will get the chance to do it. He isn’t going anywhere this year...even if they don’t win another game. The only way he loses his job is if the team gives up on him like they did PP. I don’t see that happening.....so I agree with HM...he will get 5 years.

Reaction Score
I agree he has improved the talent....but by how much? Will they be a competitive FBS school in 1 or 2 years? Meaning...maybe 40-60. Or...Will all this work just result in the team not being historically bad and they are ranked around 100?

Either way, he will get the chance to do it. He isn’t going anywhere this year...even if they don’t win another game. The only way he loses his job is if the team gives up on him like they did PP. I don’t see that happening.....so I agree with HM...he will get 5 years.

totally agree with all that

Reaction Score
I guess there is no set of results that will get some fans to question HCRE2.0's

But look at the results, no one else could have gotten UConn to 5-22 over the last couple of years. That even includes 2 FBS wins. I'm stoked for UCF, got to win us that trophy game.

I don’t believe that no one could have gotten UConn to 5-22 wins. You don’t know that either.

Reaction Score
It’s RE’s program, he has a OL coach as OC. It’s what he’s chosen and what he is responsible for.

He was given a decent salary with which to attract a quality OC and he told Admin no, he'd prefer the OL coach (with zero OC experience) do double-duty? That is what he chose?

Reaction Score
He was given a decent salary with which to attract a quality OC and he told Admin no, he'd prefer the OL coach (with zero OC experience) do double-duty? That is what he chose?

That’s not true. He had Dunn as OC and agreed to give him 150k raise from his salary because the budget was evidently that tight. Dunn ended up leaving to coach TE’s for the Jets.

Reaction Score
This whole low pay thing is a dumb discussion. We weren’t paying decent money when we hired Edsall because of the Diaco buyout. Edsall understood that and wanted the job anyway.

We continue to pay poorly because there has been a presidential change and there is an ongoing sense that we may not have the right head coach in place. In order for Randy and staff to be paid market, they have to produce clear progress in the win column. Until then, no rash decisions will be made to pay the staff more. The funds will be preserved to pay a new staff or to pay Randy and Co., once they earn the faith of the administration and Board. This is the truth. UConn does not intend to continue paying below market salaries to football coaches in perpetuity. They just won’t waste money on another bad coach. They’ve learned. This is a conscious decision coming from the very top and frankly, I’m fine with it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom