Edsall Hints At 2019 Roster Additions On Twitter | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Edsall Hints At 2019 Roster Additions On Twitter

Reaction Score
Subtract Mayala+Buss+McLean+Davis, and add Thompkins? Definitely possible.

Next man up, there are plenty of contenders for the jobs, It's not like we lost anyone to the NFL (Maybe Buss). BTW I would consider Thompkins to be a receiving threat out of the backfield.

Reaction Score
I keep reading about the run run pas punt offense but that is not what we have been seeing. When we run that and also win 8 games you can complain. We thew on 1st down. We ran options. If the d had played as well as the offense we win 4-5 more games last year.

Reaction Score
Its impossible to be more ground and pound than last year, that's pretty much all we did.
If you’re only looking at the box score, sure, but a lot of the runs were Pindell scrambling at the first sign of pressure - which isn’t a knock on him because his legs were a legitimate weapon - but I wouldn’t call last years offense “ground and pound” by any stretch.

Reaction Score
I keep reading about the run run pas punt offense but that is not what we have been seeing. When we run that and also win 8 games you can complain. We thew on 1st down. We ran options. If the d had played as well as the offense we win 4-5 more games last year.
Agreed. Our D couldn't hold water....the last 2 seasons unfortunately.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Kids report for summer programs next week. We might have to wait until then to see what surprises (ie transfers) we get. Fingers crossed we have closed the deal on some new kids that can help us.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I’m guessing RE will post something today or tomorrow. I’m thinking a TE, DE and a QB.

Yep....do I dare put a guess out here? Maybe a TE from Fullerton, a DE from Fullerton (or total surprise) and a QB that visited recently. No inside info here, just guessing.

Reaction Score
Yep....do I dare put a guess out here? Maybe a TE from Fullerton, a DE from Fullerton (or total surprise) and a QB that visited recently. No inside info here, just guessing.
That’s exactly what I was thinking! It would be great for the team. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
I agree that the offense in Randy 2.0 has been adequate. But...he lost Lashlee and Dunn, then promoted the offensive line coach. The belief is that with Pindell and Dunn gone, RE will be conservative Randy. If a QB steps up and Randy trusts them, maybe he won't be conservative. But the general feeling is that UConn will become more of a ground and pound team.

Good God. The first two years of HCRE2 have been a total disaster, but some of this is silly. If he was not conservative with 2 QBs he trusted, and then he becomes conservative this year with a QB who doesn't show as much, how friggin dumb does one have to be (and I'm not talking about Shaky) to believe that it must mean HCRE has changed and become conservative again. It means he coaches to his players, as he should.

Criticizing anything beyond how atrocious the defense has been is a total waste of time. Last year was, by far, the worst I have ever seen a single unit for a single football team play over the course of an entire season. That doesn't happen without horrific talent, and it also doesn't happen if the coaches did an outstanding job. Does that mean we can't get defensive play out of average talent, when we get to average talent? No, it doesn't. So criticize our defensive coaching and then wait to see what happens.

The rest of the criticism is a bunch of hot air. And I say that even though I am incredibly disappointed with where we are after 2 years and don't think anyone can say he's done a good job to date. But that needs to be tempered with the fact that I would have said that after 2 years of HCRE1, and the rest of you were making the same "woe is me everything is wrong" comments.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm surprised at the criticism over Edsall's offense. If anything it's been a bright spot over the last two years. Of course some with attribute it to the coordinators but the buck stops with Randy and the offense has been pretty good and fun to watch.

Boy am I an outlier here. HCRE2.0 has done a terrible job with the offense, let's not confuse going up from dead last in 14.8 pts per game (keeping Rutgirls from their usual 129th position) in Fiasco's last year with "bright spot" offense in 2017/8 and 2018/9.

UConn offense was 102nd in 2017/8 at 23.6 points per game and dove down to 111th in 2018/9 at 22.2 (and that includes a 56 point game against the FCS opponent).

111th out of 129 in scoring offense is hardly a "bright spot". Just to show how "dark" this performance was let's see the AAC teams for 2018/9.

Houston 43.9 ranked 5
UCF 43.2 ranked 6
Mem. 42.9 ranked 7
Cin. 34.9 ranked 23
Tem. 34.9 ranked 23
SMU 30.4 ranked 53
USF 28.5 ranked 69
Tulane 26.8 ranked 81
Navy 25.0 ranked 95
Tulsa 24.1 ranked 102
ECU 22.8 ranked 108
UConn 22.2 ranked 111

These 11 teams make up 2/3'ds of UConn's games each year and to be dead last in scoring in the AAC: WHEN UCONN WAS ALWAYS BEHIND AND TRYING TO SCORE AND OFTEN PLAYING AGAINST OPPONENTS 2ND AND 3RD STRING PLAYERS WHO WERE JUST TRYING TO RUN OUT THE CLOCK, is just not a "bright spot".

So with the logic here, if HCRE2.0 gets the defense ranking from 129th to 111th in 2019/20 it will be a "bright spot"? How about "still sucks but at least not the laughing stock of all FBS football".

Reaction Score
Boy am I an outlier here. HCRE2.0 has done a terrible job with the offense, let's not confuse going up from dead last in 14.8 pts per game (keeping Rutgirls from their usual 129th position) in Fiasco's last year with "bright spot" offense in 2017/8 and 2018/9.

UConn offense was 102nd in 2017/8 at 23.6 points per game and dove down to 111th in 2018/9 at 22.2 (and that includes a 56 point game against the FCS opponent).

111th out of 129 in scoring offense is hardly a "bright spot". Just to show how "dark" this performance was let's see the AAC teams for 2018/9.

Houston 43.9 ranked 5
UCF 43.2 ranked 6
Mem. 42.9 ranked 7
Cin. 34.9 ranked 23
Tem. 34.9 ranked 23
SMU 30.4 ranked 53
USF 28.5 ranked 69
Tulane 26.8 ranked 81
Navy 25.0 ranked 95
Tulsa 24.1 ranked 102
ECU 22.8 ranked 108
UConn 22.2 ranked 111

These 11 teams make up 2/3'ds of UConn's games each year and to be dead last in scoring in the AAC: WHEN UCONN WAS ALWAYS BEHIND AND TRYING TO SCORE AND OFTEN PLAYING AGAINST OPPONENTS 2ND AND 3RD STRING PLAYERS WHO WERE JUST TRYING TO RUN OUT THE CLOCK, is just not a "bright spot".

So with the logic here, if HCRE2.0 gets the defense ranking from 129th to 111th in 2019/20 it will be a "bright spot"? How about "still sucks but at least not the laughing stock of all FBS football".
Good points regarding the D.. extremely valid.. BUT, we will get better.. and as long as we can bring in some more kids with a little more experience (and size) we'll continue to improve... I still think we'll surprise some folks this season in terms of our play. That no quit type of play will sneak up on some teams that take us for granted... It happened during Edsall 1.0. It's gonna happen again...

Reaction Score
Kids report for summer programs next week. We might have to wait until then to see what surprises (ie transfers) we get. Fingers crossed we have closed the deal on some new kids that can help us.
It's CLEAR that we really need all the kids transferring in at the start of this thing (next week, NOT when official Fall camp starts end of July early August)...

Reaction Score
Maybe...it appears he was a walk-on @ NCST

(My emphasis added):

>>One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:
  • You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.
  • You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.
  • You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.<<

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 29 seconds ago
The UConn football team has added QB Micah Leon, a transfer from N.C. State. Boynton Beach, Florida native will be eligible immediately and have 3 years of eligibility.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He was a walk on at NC State. 6'5" 210.

Reaction Score
Putterman: UConn adds quarterback transfer Micah Leon from North Carolina State

>>After an accomplished career at Boca Raton (Fla.) High School, Leon spent the last two years at NC State but did not attempt a pass. Because he has never been a scholarship player, he will be able to play immediately at UConn, with three years of eligibility remaining. Leon, a native of Boynton Beach, Fla., will be on campus for summer workouts beginning next week.<<

Reaction Score
I have a lot of faith in this young man. I understand he is also more spiritual so he may be responsible and provide the team some much-needed leadership.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom