Edsall has to go | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Edsall has to go

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

I was one of the few remaining Edsall 2.0 apologists, but after his performance yesterday, he has to go. It is unacceptable for a coach to impugn the integrity or character of any college kid, much less those that are not even on his team. It is also insanely hypocritical for this particular coach to do it. Finally, and maybe the worst of all, I am tired of Edsall's incompetence. The Transfer Portal should be a huge net positive for a program at the bottom of the hierarchy of college football because UConn has lots of playing time available for former 4* recruits who weren't quite good enough to get on the field at a Top 20 program. A semi-competent UConn coach would be crushing it with the Transfer Portal. Instead, we are the ones getting crushed, with marginal players leaving, in some cases to likely sit on the bench at another program.

Enough is enough. Edsall was a mediocre coach for whom the game has passed him by. Time to move on.

Edsall should ask LSU about taking transfers and their "lack of character". Joe Burrow just completed the greatest season possibly in the history of CFB, and was a more than exemplary student and absolute team leader.

Reaction Score
Maybe you should check rivals rankings then. It's been posted in other threads, they have this class ranked in the 80's, 82 to be exact. That's a huge difference between the two sites.

Rivals

How are Rivals rankings of Edsell's classes compared to Diaco's classes? Don't know if one site is better than another, but previously many here were critical of Rivals for not being active with UConn recruiting. Most cited 247 and ESPN because they gave out more stars or were more positive than Rivals. Is Rivals better now since they ranked this class higher?

Reaction Score
How are Rivals rankings of Edsell's classes compared to Diaco's classes? Don't know if one site is better than another, but previously many here were critical of Rivals for not being active with UConn recruiting. Most cited 247 and ESPN because they gave out more stars or were more positive than Rivals. Is Rivals better now since they ranked this class higher?
Actually it’s 247 who has no interest in covering UConn the last 5 or so years.

As of last night 247 has us w/ 17 out of 25 as 3* while Rivals has us w/ only 2 out of 25 as 3* w/ three player yet to be rated.

Reaction Score
The only Diaco class I could find inside the top 100 was 94th in 2015. 2013 which I believe was Pasqualoni's last class was 64th. 2017 & 2018 was 89th, and 82nd for 2020. Nothing else inside 100. For 2020, Wortham, Houston and Young still don't have any stars or rating.

Reaction Score
Doing what 99% of the coaches do when offered a better job.
Edsall made Jordan Todman stand in front of his teammates and announce he was leaving them to go pro. He told Todman he had an obligation to do so.

Withing hours, he snuck out the back door, boarded a private jet and send out a tweet he was taking the Maryland job.

That is not what 99% of the college coaches do. It's what hypocrites do.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Edsall made Jordan Todman stand in front of his teammates and announce he was leaving them to go pro. He told Todman he had an obligation to do so.

Withing hours, he snuck out the back door, boarded a private jet and send out a tweet he was taking the Maryland job.

Hey - if you never want to move on from that 24 hour period its fine. Just keep beating that drum. Whoo-hoo. Keep booing loudly, I get it....you are not a fan of his and never will be.

Reaction Score

You ever accept an apology?

Reaction Score
Hey - if you never want to move on from that 24 hour period its fine. Just keep beating that drum. Whoo-hoo. Keep booing loudly, I get it....you are not a fan of his and never will be.
Hey - if you think 99% of the college coaches would pull a lowlife stunt like HCRE1.0 did then that's fine. Just keep supporting HCRE2.0 whatever lame comments he makes or actions he takes. I get it....you are a fan of his and will never find anything he does inconsistent with your fandom.

Per Harford Courant at the time he left UConn as HCRE1.0:
"Edsall did not fly back from Phoenix with his players on the team charter Sunday morning. And according to multiple sources the players and assistant coaches had no idea Edsall was interviewing with Maryland, let alone ready to leave. "

Washington Post when HCREDreamJob1.0 was fired:

"There was no honeymoon for Edsall and Maryland. Even before he left the podium at his introductory news conference, Edsall had set a tone for his tenure that never really changed.

He made it clear there was a new sheriff in town. There would be no dreadlocks on his team, no earrings or caps worn inside the football building. There would be discipline and respect. Edsall said all this on the same day that he informed his players at the University of Connecticut by text that he was no longer their coach.

His new players were going to show respect for him and his rules, but he didn’t respect — or care about — his former players enough to take a few hours to fly to Storrs, Conn., and look them in the eye and tell them why he was leaving."

"He’s the classic humorless football coach — which, again, is acceptable as long as you’re winning. It’s okay to be Bill Belichick, Urban Meyer or Nick Saban if you have Bill Belichick’s, Urban Meyer’s or Nick Saban’s record. "

Maybe HCRE2.0 has more than Palatine as a non fan!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Hey - if you think 99% of the college coaches would pull a lowlife stunt like HCRE1.0 did then that's fine. Just keep supporting HCRE2.0 whatever lame comments he makes or actions he takes. I get it....you are a fan of his and will never find anything he does inconsistent with your fandom.

Per Harford Courant at the time he left UConn as HCRE1.0:
"Edsall did not fly back from Phoenix with his players on the team charter Sunday morning. And according to multiple sources the players and assistant coaches had no idea Edsall was interviewing with Maryland, let alone ready to leave. "

Washington Post when HCREDreamJob1.0 was fired:

"There was no honeymoon for Edsall and Maryland. Even before he left the podium at his introductory news conference, Edsall had set a tone for his tenure that never really changed.

He made it clear there was a new sheriff in town. There would be no dreadlocks on his team, no earrings or caps worn inside the football building. There would be discipline and respect. Edsall said all this on the same day that he informed his players at the University of Connecticut by text that he was no longer their coach.

His new players were going to show respect for him and his rules, but he didn’t respect — or care about — his former players enough to take a few hours to fly to Storrs, Conn., and look them in the eye and tell them why he was leaving."

"He’s the classic humorless football coach — which, again, is acceptable as long as you’re winning. It’s okay to be Bill Belichick, Urban Meyer or Nick Saban if you have Bill Belichick’s, Urban Meyer’s or Nick Saban’s record. "

Maybe HCRE2.0 has more than Palatine as a non fan!
I’m not so simple. In other posts I have explained my view on edsall. Firing season is over. Thing is- if everyone wants to pull out the way he handled his career for the 24 hour period after the fiesta bowl then great.... what can anyone say is response? Nothing. The guy mishandled himself and apparently it can never be forgotten. Kudos to those with the longest coldest most bitter memories.

Reaction Score
Loyalty is a virtue, I guess.

Following RE into the dark...

"We'll hold each other soon in the darkest of rooms".

Reaction Score
I think his comments about the portal could be a plus. If you are player in the portal and Edsall reaches out to you after saying he will only consider special players, it could be a plus.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I know most fans think stars don't matter with Edsell, but the recruiting rankings have gone down compared to freakin' Diaco. Everyone thought recruiting would improve under Randy. Hopefully "his guys" can improve on wins. But it hasn't looked good so far.

247 class rank
2020: 118
2019: 113
2018: 102
2017 (Diaco/Edsell): 101
2016: 99
2015: 99

247 does a lousy job with UConn and other schools that don't have a writer.
Rivals has UConn 89th last I knew ahead of three AAC teams

Reaction Score
Actually it’s 247 who has no interest in covering UConn the last 5 or so years.

As of last night 247 has us w/ 17 out of 25 as 3* while Rivals has us w/ only 2 out of 25 as 3* w/ three player yet to be rated.

If we go with Rivals, two 3* out of 25 doesn't seem like a good indicator of improved recruiting by Edsell. What other metrics are you guys using to conclude that Edsell is doing better than the last few years?

Reaction Score
If we go with Rivals, two 3* out of 25 doesn't seem like a good indicator of improved recruiting by Edsell. What other metrics are you guys using to conclude that Edsell is doing better than the last few years?

I’m just pointing out some other metrics... you can draw whatever conclusion you like.

The whole recruiting site rating game outside 4*/5* kids (or top 200 kids +/-) is a farce. Is there really a significant difference btw kid #250 and kid #350?

We just witnessed the 247 star game play out w/ Texas RB Crownover. No stars when he held UConn/Houston Baptist offers but immediately after committing to TAMU - bang -> instant 3*.

No real surprise but...
View attachment 50130

Reaction Score
I’m just pointing out some other metrics... you can draw whatever conclusion you like.

The whole recruiting site rating game outside 4*/5* kids (or top 200 kids +/-) is a farce. Is there really a significant difference btw kid #250 and kid #350?

We just witnessed the 247 star game play out w/ Texas RB Crownover. No stars when he held UConn/Houston Baptist offers but immediately after committing to TAMU - bang -> instant 3*.

wisdom!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Funny, had to look up what this meant. Even funnier (to me anyway) is that the term seems more appropriate to HCRE2.0 than Anthony.
HCRE2.0 has issues.
Umm.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but Edsall is terrible as both a recruiter and HC by 2020 Standards. He needs to portal back to the 1950's where he can worry about things like a player's flat top being too tall or if somebody's shirt tail isn't tucked in properly. UConn needs to get through this transition year of independence and when he wins 3-4 games you have to send him packing. He's not going to turn this thing around in 5 years or 500. Uconn desperately needs young coaches with ideas from this century who can relate to kids aged 16-23.

Reaction Score
Edsall should ask LSU about taking transfers and their "lack of character". Joe Burrow just completed the greatest season possibly in the history of CFB, and was a more than exemplary student and absolute team leader.

The lack of insight on this board is mind numbing. Why did young Joe look at only 2 schools when he decided to transfer? Could it have been that there was a familiar face on the LSU staff? Did our HC not say, we would look at kids we know there? I get it, you want to be cute and creative, but sometimes having the facts can help. Not here of course, but sometimes in life.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom