Edsall has to go | The Boneyard

Edsall has to go

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I was one of the few remaining Edsall 2.0 apologists, but after his performance yesterday, he has to go. It is unacceptable for a coach to impugn the integrity or character of any college kid, much less those that are not even on his team. It is also insanely hypocritical for this particular coach to do it. Finally, and maybe the worst of all, I am tired of Edsall's incompetence. The Transfer Portal should be a huge net positive for a program at the bottom of the hierarchy of college football because UConn has lots of playing time available for former 4* recruits who weren't quite good enough to get on the field at a Top 20 program. A semi-competent UConn coach would be crushing it with the Transfer Portal. Instead, we are the ones getting crushed, with marginal players leaving, in some cases to likely sit on the bench at another program.

Enough is enough. Edsall was a mediocre coach for whom the game has passed him by. Time to move on.

Reaction Score
I'm usually on board with him myself, but he went too far with his comments regarding kids in the portal. A kid like Mason Donaldson, who I've had the pleasure of meeting, is a kid any coach would be proud to have on the roster. It's wrong to imply these kids are being selfish and aren't team players. Donovan Williams also stuck it out through adversity.

Still, Randy isn't going to be let go right now, but next season will determine his fate.

Reaction Score
I'm usually on board with him myself, but he went too far with his comments regarding kids in the portal. A kid like Mason Donaldson, who I've had the pleasure of meeting, is a kid any coach would be proud to have on the roster. It's wrong to imply these kids are being selfish and aren't team players. Donovan Williams also stuck it out through adversity.

Still, Randy isn't going to be let go right now, but next season will determine his fate.

Randy will get his five years. My question is what sort of football might the faithful need to endure on our way to December 2021?

Reaction Score
Randy will get his five years. My question is what sort of football might the faithful need to endure on our way to December 2021?

This sounds more negative than I intended it to be. I do think based on HCRE getting more of "his guys" -- including what appears to be a very promising class this year -- we will see some improvement over the next two years in wins and losses. But it will be Randy ball so I expect some (mainly) rock fights. So, I guess I still have hope but the window is closing.

Reaction Score
Boy, that article doesn’t pull many punches and, worse, is a pretty fair portrayal of the rank hypocrisy afoot. What is concerning to me is you have a guy that 6-30 unable to keep his mouth shut and do his job. Instead he tarnishes UConn with petty nonsense.

Reaction Score
Hey college sports generally has become full of hypocrisy. From the tan mahal training facilities. ( a lazy river helps a lineman learn to block how exactly?) to paying coaches millions to the P5 nonsense to the fake national championship tournament to aau sleaseballs and show companies bribing players. All of it is disgraceful. A couple of guys say they aren’t looking for Prima donnas off the waiver wire and they are hypocrites. LOL.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The time to replace Edsall was December 2nd. That moment has passed, so it’s Edsall 2.0 for 2020. Any discussion about making a change now is simply unrealistic.

I think the rest of this stuff about having a new view on the portal is entirely overblown. Fans, former players and media are using the quotes for their own agendas. The media did the exact same thing when he wouldn’t honor Diaco’s offer on that N.J. LB. Of course many coaches have since done the exact same thing (the situation was as old as recruiting itself), but nary of word from the enlightened national beat writers.
As a fan I find it hard to publicly call for regime change once you get past mid December until we get to mid season the following year (perhaps 6 games in). Calling for regime change anytime over that period (past the first signing period/until 6 games into the season) just seems counter productive... very counterproductive.

Reaction Score
This sounds more negative than I intended it to be. I do think based on HCRE getting more of "his guys" -- including what appears to be a very promising class this year -- we will see some improvement over the next two years in wins and losses. But it will be Randy ball so I expect some (mainly) rock fights. So, I guess I still have hope but the window is closing.

The key part of "rock fight" is "fight." I can deal with losing if we're playing our butts off and losing competitive games. See, e.g., UConn mens' basketball, 2019 -- 2020 season.

We'll see if Edsall can get us there. Those who are doubting it, at this point, have every right to.

Reaction Score

I was one of the few remaining Edsall 2.0 apologists, but after his performance yesterday, he has to go. It is unacceptable for a coach to impugn the integrity or character of any college kid, much less those that are not even on his team. It is also insanely hypocritical for this particular coach to do it. Finally, and maybe the worst of all, I am tired of Edsall's incompetence. The Transfer Portal should be a huge net positive for a program at the bottom of the hierarchy of college football because UConn has lots of playing time available for former 4* recruits who weren't quite good enough to get on the field at a Top 20 program. A semi-competent UConn coach would be crushing it with the Transfer Portal. Instead, we are the ones getting crushed, with marginal players leaving, in some cases to likely sit on the bench at another program.

Enough is enough. Edsall was a mediocre coach for whom the game has passed him by. Time to move on.

What if this is all part of the master plan to kill football? Let Randy get progressively worse each year so the team plummets further to the point where fans and students don't want to put in any effort to pull a UAB?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What if this is all part of the master plan to kill football? Let Randy get progressively worse each year so the team plummets further to the point where fans and students don't want to put in any effort to pull a UAB?
Create a thread- I’m sure it will have a long run on the board.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What I wish is that someone will realize that RE is the one who caused 25 players to enter the portal. I think if you ask the kids in there if their fifth year was offered they would have told you no.

It’s time to move on. The kids got their degrees and now it’s time to do the next thing. Btw- Just look at the animosity festering here, why keep any of that on your team?

Reaction Score
I have no problem with not taking a kid back who enters the portal...the "contract" is through, the kid is looking to move on..

And a program needs to fill needs and will move on as well and can't keep your spot open as a safety fall back in case an athlete is unsuccessful in transferring.

A couple of programs now tell their verbal commits that if they schedule visits elsewhere, the program may move on to the next guy...to fill their needs.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
And people transferring to different schools for better situations and/or playing time somehow is different?
One is an obvious promotion 99% of the time. This is apples and oranges.

If you are in the portal and one of 130 FBS coaches says he won’t be looking to the portal unless it’s a player they recruited once before in HS, then who the funk cares?

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, Edsall put his foot in his mouth and his message was delivered poorly. I think what he was trying to say is that kids in the portal with one year of eligibility left are looking to start and he feels they should earn the starting position. Also, I think he was saying that getting a kid for one year, unless it is for a need or two, is not a good fit for culture or the LT development of the team. A kid like DJ Morgan is a two year transfer which Edsall thinks is a better fit and it is why he likes JUCOs with 2 years of eligibility left.

I didn't interpret Edsall's remarks as a shot at the kids leaving as most of the kids leaving had used 4 years of eligibility and were not projected to be key contributors in 2020. At almost every school, you leave after 4 years if you are not projected to be a key contributor. My guess he and his staff have given positive feedback to schools looking at most of the kids who are in the portal as most are good kids.

All that said, people should not have to interpret what Edsall was trying to say as he is the head coach and leader of a program that is looking for positives.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
We have heard it from Edsall himself....he struggles with connecting with today's kids. And I haven't heard him say that he is willing to adapt or try to figure it out. He just complains about it and looks for kids that will adapt to him.

I get it...I am younger than Edsall and I would get frustrated working with 18 year old kids. But....that's his job. He needs to figure it out and stop bitching. And if he can't deliver a team that's FBS worthy, then he needs to find a job that doesn't require him to evolve as a person.

Reaction Score
We have heard it from Edsall himself....he struggles with connecting with today's kids. And I haven't heard him say that he is willing to adapt or try to figure it out. He just complains about it and looks for kids that will adapt to him.

I get it...I am younger than Edsall and I would get frustrated working with 18 year old kids. But....that's his job. He needs to figure it out and stop bitching. And if he can't deliver a team that's FBS worthy, then he needs to find a job that doesn't require him to evolve as a person.

He needs to figure it out. I could care less whether or not he about it while he figures it out, but he has to figure it out.

Reaction Score

I know most fans think stars don't matter with Edsell, but the recruiting rankings have gone down compared to freakin' Diaco. Everyone thought recruiting would improve under Randy. Hopefully "his guys" can improve on wins. But it hasn't looked good so far.

247 class rank
2020: 118
2019: 113
2018: 102
2017 (Diaco/Edsell): 101
2016: 99
2015: 99

Reaction Score
I know most fans think stars don't matter with Edsell, but the recruiting rankings have gone down compared to freakin' Diaco. Everyone thought recruiting would improve under Randy. Hopefully "his guys" can improve on wins. But it hasn't looked good so far.

247 class rank
2020: 118
2019: 113
2018: 102
2017 (Diaco/Edsell): 101
2016: 99
2015: 99
Maybe you should check rivals rankings then. It's been posted in other threads, they have this class ranked in the 80's, 82 to be exact. That's a huge difference between the two sites.

Rivals

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom