Edsall Has Big Job Ahead Rebuilding UConn Program (Altavilla) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Edsall Has Big Job Ahead Rebuilding UConn Program (Altavilla)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn already paid its due with "under-the-radar" recruits. Thats what Randy used the first time, now UConn should be getting its share of on-the-radar kids. The program slipped back to the days of 1999-2002.

UConn is not recruiting kids to a BCS school anymore. They are G-5. It will be all 2 stars, a smattering of 3 stars. Luckily, Edsall sent more of those kids to the NFL than anyone else.

Reaction Score
I can't stand McMurphy. Just sayin. Pretentious a #ole...

You can really see how the southern bias works in his words. USF had all the athletes, UConn was not as talented comparatively. Yet the NFL tells a different story. Back then, UConn lead the conference with pros in the mid-20s. USF didn't even have half of that.

Randy is an incredibly good recruiter, and he gets kids ready for the next level.

Oh, and by the way, 8-5 wasn't his best year.

He went 9-3. And 9-4. He did better than 8-5 on three different occasions. He also went 8-5 three times. This means 6 times between 2003-2010 he won at least 8 games.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
UConn already paid its due with "under-the-radar" recruits. Thats what Randy used the first time, now UConn should be getting its share of on-the-radar kids. The program slipped back to the days of 1999-2002.

IN 2008, we out class had 5 NFL drafted players. All under-the-radar.

I remember when the guru's were saying Byron Jones wasn't "athletic enough" (and it wasn't @nelsonmuntz )

Reaction Score
Edsall will get defense back on track. A decent OC and common sense will easily increase scoring 7-10 points a game next year. Pretending to be Lombardi Packers going against a 4-3 base defense when teams just loaded the box last three years was not best strategy.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Edsall will get defense back on track. A decent OC and common sense will easily increase scoring 7-10 points a game next year. Pretending to be Lombardi Packers going against a 4-3 base defense when teams just loaded the box last three years was not best strategy.

I look at the offense and I see:

Sheriffs is a better passer than Frazier and not quite as good of a runner as Lorenzen but better than either. Edsall can win with BS

Newsome is as good or better than some backs who thrived under Edsall.

The TE core is good enough and the WR's are good enough.

How bad is the offensive line? How much is talent and how much is coaching? Do we need a total rebuild or can Edsall get these guys to medicore?

Reaction Score
I look at the offense and I see:

Sheriffs is a better passer than Frazier and not quite as good of a runner as Lorenzen but better than either. Edsall can win with BS

Newsome is as good or better than some backs who thrived under Edsall.

The TE core is good enough and the WR's are good enough.

How bad is the offensive line? How much is talent and how much is coaching? Do we need a total rebuild or can Edsall get these guys to medicore?

Edsall even acknowledged the amount of TE's they have, so I'm assuming he'll actually make use of them rather than use them as depth chart decoration.

Reaction Score
Edsall even acknowledged the amount of TE's they have, so I'm assuming he'll actually make use of them rather than use them as depth chart decoration.

I want to know who recruited all those TE's - maybe they should stick around. How do you convince that many kids to come here to play TE when there's already a dozen of them and we didn't even use them?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's going to be tough road back, but I do have faith in HCRE. Just having a competent coach on game day would have been worth 3 more wins last year. We'll have to see, but I'm hopeful that next season we'll play much more competitive football.

Reaction Score
I want to know who recruited all those TE's - maybe they should stick around. How do you convince that many kids to come here to play TE when there's already a dozen of them and we didn't even use them?

Returning TE/F players per roster:

Bloom (TE)
Chris Lee (TE)
Rhakim Williams (TE
Myers (F)
Davis (F)
Holman (F)

Reaction Score
Returning TE/F players per roster:

Bloom (TE)
Chris Lee (TE)
Rhakim Williams (TE
Myers (F)
Davis (F)
Holman (F)

Convert any of them to DE? Holman and his martial arts skills might thrive there.

Reaction Score
How about a call to Jay Rose? Did we ever get the full story on him?
Could have just been he saw how screwed up Fiasco was right away

Reaction Score
Actually it's about the caliber of the player.
We went through this whole debate in Randy Part 1. If he recruited so well UConn would have done better against WVU, Cincy and Michigan. UConn had limitations. I admit Randy found some underrecruited players, but he would have done better with better recruiting. College football 101: recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. Right now, I'd settle for BC,or Rutger recruits.

Reaction Score
How about a call to Jay Rose? Did we ever get the full story on him?
Could have just been he saw how screwed up Fiasco was right away

If I remember correctly word was his heart wasn't into what it would take at this level and there was also talk of a girlfriend involved in the decision.

If a g/f is in the mix, as far as a decision, then it's probably a good choice not to attempt to compete at an FBS level.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
but he would have done better with better recruiting. College football 101: recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. Right now, I'd settle for BC,or Rutger recruits.

Randy had way way way way way more talent on his rosters than an All Star team of today's BCU and Rutgers teams.

Reaction Score
We went through this whole debate in Randy Part 1. If he recruited so well UConn would have done better against WVU, Cincy and Michigan. UConn had limitations. I admit Randy found some underrecruited players, but he would have done better with better recruiting. College football 101: recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. Right now, I'd settle for BC,or Rutger recruits.
By saying this you're being dismissive of our records against Pitt, RU, Syracuse, and Louisville.

We didn't recruit great as a BCS school according to the sites, why would you expect that to change as a G5? Let's get back to putting a bunch of kids in the league and we will be fine against the competition we play against.

Reaction Score

So, you're of the opinion that the people doing high school recruiting websites know more than NFL people? Because the NFL people clearly thought UConn was recruiting better than a whole stack of schools.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly word was his heart wasn't into what it would take at this level and there was also talk of a girlfriend involved in the decision.

If a g/f is in the mix, as far as a decision, then it's probably a good choice not to attempt to compete at an FBS level.

I remember that being the rumor, but it always sounded far fetched to me.
What harm would a simple call do is all. Maybe his situation changed?

Reaction Score
By saying this you're being dismissive of our records against Pitt, RU, Syracuse, and Louisville.

We didn't recruit great as a BCS school according to the sites, why would you expect that to change as a G5? Let's get back to putting a bunch of kids in the league and we will be fine against the competition we play against.
No thanks. I don't want Byron Jones's who make it NFL, I want UConn teams to make bowl games, to be the kind of team people get excited about and want to see and teams that gain national recognition.

And, BTW I liked B. Jones. Hes a great young man and athlete.

Reaction Score
No thanks. I don't want Byron Jones's who make it NFL, I want UConn teams to make bowl games, to be the kind of team people get excited about and want to see and teams that gain national recognition.

nail in the coffin. Ignore is a very useful button

Reaction Score
Post makes no sense.
Point is: UConn should be more concerned about improving its recruiting to win in college. Gettting to NFL is a by product. I'm sure UConn has more players in NFL than many of the 11 teams in AAC that finished above them.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

wut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69