Edsall confident UConn football program heading in right direction (Gavin Keefe @ The Day) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Edsall confident UConn football program heading in right direction (Gavin Keefe @ The Day)

Reaction Score
Any time you see a team regress in year 2 from bad to epically bad, it’s not a good sign. It’s time to perform in year 3 and win some games.

Not sure what you were expecting with that roster makeup. I expect another poor season but improvement in play this year. Year 4 and 5 is when we should see wins as HCRE recruits dominate the team and have had 3-4 years experience under their belts.

Reaction Score
Any time you see a team regress in year 2 from bad to epically bad, it’s not a good sign. It’s time to perform in year 3 and win some games.
Not necessarily so. It often takes a few years to get moving in the right direction. And Diaco wasn’t tired until pretty late. I think we s will see signs this year and true progress next. When he arrived he took over a team that was weak yet slow. No a good situation for success.

Reaction Score
Not sure what you were expecting with that roster makeup. I expect another poor season but improvement in play this year. Year 4 and 5 is when we should see wins as HCRE recruits dominate the team and have had 3-4 years experience under their belts.
I look for basic improvement in execution. Last year we did not meet that standard. I’m not suggesting a sudden transformation. But, I do think 3 or less wins is unacceptable for year 3.

Reaction Score
What did Rich Rodriguez do when he inherited an offense that could NOT make a first down? He invented an offense called the spread. He put on his coaching hat and figured out a way to make his players successful.
But that same approach which worked for RichRod at WVU flopped at Michigan. I’m impressed with our new asst coaches. The strength coach has made a difference. I liked what I saw and heard from players about both Giufre and Spanos. If one of the QB’s takes control and excels we should feel a lot more comfortable raising our expectations for a successful season.That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Reaction Score
But that same approach which worked for RichRod at WVU flopped at Michigan. I’m impressed with our new asst coaches. The strength coach has made a difference. I liked what I saw and heard from players about both Giufre and Spanos. If one of the QB’s takes control and excels we should feel a lot more comfortable raising our expectations for a successful season.That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
Different results but RR still came in with a win today mindset. I want to see much more of that on the UConn sideline.

Reaction Score
Different results but RR still came in with a win today mindset. I want to see much more of that on the UConn sideline.
If you want to go from 3-12 to 12-3 in one season you do it with the forward pass. A conservative Edsall offense like in RE 1.0 won't cut it, and I think HCRE knows that. That's the way Rich Rod did it, and UCF did it. We were pretty good in that dept last year, and will be even better this year, this year's team will have several QB's who can really throw it. This year we need better talent on defense and Edsall very well might partially have accomplished that with the new talent coming in and last year's freshmen being a little older, wiser, and stronger. So instead of being on the losing end 55-38 like last year, hopefully this year we win some of those games.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
If you want to go from 3-12 to 12-3 in one season you do it with the forward pass. A conservative Edsall offense like in RE 1.0 won't cut it, and I think HCRE knows that. That's the way Rich Rod did it, and UCF did it. We were pretty good in that dept last year, and will be even better this year, this year's team will have several QB's who can really throw it. This year we need better talent on defense and Edsall very well might partially have accomplished that with the new talent coming in and last year's freshmen being a little older, wiser, and stronger. So instead of being on the losing end 55-38 like last year, hopefully this year we win some of those games.

I don’t think we’ll ever go from 3-12 to 12-3 in a 12 game season

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Yeah, realized that after my post. Thanks for pointing that out. As to the point of my post, how about commenting on that? Do you think we will be better? 7-5? 8-4?

I think we’ll be marginally better, but my guess is that we only win two games. Defense will still be awful, but a bit better. Offense will be on the ground—we’ll rely on our strength at o line and running back

Reaction Score

Ok, I'll hope you are right. So let's see. Year 5 (if my counting is correct) is 2021.

Recruiting class of 2021, unless recruiting takes some type of crazy improvement will not have any or very many 2021 impact players. Mostly RS. Maybe some transfer help.
Recruiting class of 2020 will expect to mostly RS so little game experience. Some in 2 deep but not many unless dramatic improvement in "readiness" vs. 2018 recruits or 2021 team in serious talent trouble.
Recruiting class of 2019, will be RS sophomores or juniors and should have a solid impact on 2 deep or class has not developed as hoped.

Essentially the 2021 season will hinge on the 2017 and 2018 recruiting classes of 35 or so that should still be around in 2021.

HCRE2.0 has set the bar so low that I'm interested in knowing what you would consider being "see wins as HCRE recruits dominate the team" in years 2020 and 2021. What would be the minimum number of wins that are acceptable against FBS teams in 2019, 2020 and 2021 for you to continue to support HCRE2.0 as coach at UConn? He has 2 in 2017 and 0 in 2018.

Reaction Score
Ok, I'll hope you are right. So let's see. Year 5 (if my counting is correct) is 2021.

Recruiting class of 2021, unless recruiting takes some type of crazy improvement will not have any or very many 2021 impact players. Mostly RS. Maybe some transfer help.
Recruiting class of 2020 will expect to mostly RS so little game experience. Some in 2 deep but not many unless dramatic improvement in "readiness" vs. 2018 recruits or 2021 team in serious talent trouble.
Recruiting class of 2019, will be RS sophomores or juniors and should have a solid impact on 2 deep or class has not developed as hoped.

Essentially the 2021 season will hinge on the 2017 and 2018 recruiting classes of 35 or so that should still be around in 2021.

HCRE2.0 has set the bar so low that I'm interested in knowing what you would consider being "see wins as HCRE recruits dominate the team" in years 2020 and 2021. What would be the minimum number of wins that are acceptable against FBS teams in 2019, 2020 and 2021 for you to continue to support HCRE2.0 as coach at UConn? He has 2 in 2017 and 0 in 2018.

I think on paper this team is 3-4 wins next year. I expect to see significant improvement on defense next year, that is how I will judge the season. 2020 6-7 wins, 2021 6-7 wins.

Reaction Score
HCRE2.0 has set the bar so low
It is amazing how far down the bar has been pushed. I remember posts from when Randy was re-hired where folks believed .500 and a bowl bid was possible for either Year 1 and/or Year 2. Now in Year 3 we are hoping for 2 or 3 wins. I don't mean to re-start the whole how long it takes to re-build argument and I know many believed it would take alot more time but many didn't. All I am saying is that it is interesting how low the expectations are now in Year 3 for everybody.

Reaction Score
I think Randy made some blunders getting restarted here. The whole Crocker defensive scheme could not have gone any worse. The 2017 defense actually had some athletes and was awful. By the time he put all those frosh on the field last season under Crocker the disaster was of epic proportions.

That said, Diaco absolutely screwed this program with his recruiting. The lack of team speed is simply mind boggling. Digging out from that will be tough. Edsall values speed and he'll find it and develop it, but the process to get there is going to be painful.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At the same time that Edsall is improving UConn...other teams may be improving as well.

A good start on the climb back would be finishing 3rd in AAC East standings behind UCF and Cincinnati.

Cincinnati and USF are currently leading in the 2020 recruiting war among the East Division teams. The Huskies need to close the gap.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Have you been around the program? All the coaches talk about changing the culture. Or they re-paint the facility. They talk about bringing in their kind of guys. They play lots underclassmen to season them rather than playing the best players.

What did Rich Rodriguez do when he inherited an offense that could NOT make a first down? -- He didn't re-paint the facility or change the culture or play the young guys. He invented an offense that allowed the players he had to get first downs. It was called the spread. He put on his coaching hat and figured out a way to make his players successful.

HE TRIED TO WIN. Compare and contrast that with P and D and Edsall 2.0. Capisce?
Since the 60's but I guess not as savvy as you sir
Capisce?
Thanks

Reaction Score
It is amazing how far down the bar has been pushed. I remember posts from when Randy was re-hired where folks believed .500 and a bowl bid was possible for either Year 1 and/or Year 2. Now in Year 3 we are hoping for 2 or 3 wins. I don't mean to re-start the whole how long it takes to re-build argument and I know many believed it would take alot more time but many didn't. All I am saying is that it is interesting how low the expectations are now in Year 3 for everybody.

I think some posters underestimated how good the rest of the conference was getting. It's not just that UCONN was decimated by two bad hires, it is that the AAC has been steadily improving while the Huskies were recruiting at an FCS level. That is a recipe for an extended turn-around period.

Reaction Score
This 2.0 era will be frustrating. It’s not like Randy has the Big East to sell this time around. We have less to offer than before unless something changes.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I take my info from those in the program or really close. When RE came back and saw tape, he was shocked at how low the talent level had sunk. He would not have recruited most of the kids and on defense, everyone was a level slow - db's had linebacker speed, linebackers had lineman speed.

All this stuff about how he could win year 1 is fiction. Randy's MO is to rebuild with the kids who buy in. That first year group did not totally buy in to what Randy and staff were doing. Unfortunately, the staff didn't click and he has rebuilt that. Anyone expecting a quick turnaround, especially at UConn has misplaced expectations.

Until this year, we never saw transfers in. There are many kids that we can't recruit due to grades. How many JUCO's came to UCONN in any sport? Then add in a non Power 5, northern school, etc. We aren't Memphis, Houston or UCF from an academic and recruiting area standpoint. It is important to know the whole picture and not get sucked into just the results. As fans, we want to see a winner. But knowing the whole story gives context and maybe a little more forgiving attitude toward the players and coaching staff.

That being said, improvement is necessary and I for sure want at least 4 wins this year. But knowing the path we have to travel, I can understand how and why we are where we are. Just because UConn plays the shell game financially to help the Athletic Department doesn't necessarily mean total buy in to a winning program. Hopefully, that will change with the new President.

Reaction Score
I take my info from those in the program or really close. When RE came back and saw tape, he was shocked at how low the talent level had sunk. He would not have recruited most of the kids and on defense, everyone was a level slow - db's had linebacker speed, linebackers had lineman speed.

All this stuff about how he could win year 1 is fiction. Randy's MO is to rebuild with the kids who buy in. That first year group did not totally buy in to what Randy and staff were doing. Unfortunately, the staff didn't click and he has rebuilt that. Anyone expecting a quick turnaround, especially at UConn has misplaced expectations.

Until this year, we never saw transfers in. There are many kids that we can't recruit due to grades. How many JUCO's came to UCONN in any sport? Then add in a non Power 5, northern school, etc. We aren't Memphis, Houston or UCF from an academic and recruiting area standpoint. It is important to know the whole picture and not get sucked into just the results. As fans, we want to see a winner. But knowing the whole story gives context and maybe a little more forgiving attitude toward the players and coaching staff.

That being said, improvement is necessary and I for sure want at least 4 wins this year. But knowing the path we have to travel, I can understand how and why we are where we are. Just because UConn plays the shell game financially to help the Athletic Department doesn't necessarily mean total buy in to a winning program. Hopefully, that will change with the new President.

All of this may be true, but so is Edsall's seemingly pathological need to remind the world that his team is weak, slow, inexperienced etc. He also feels the need to remind everyone constantly that his predecessors cratered the program. How is it supposed to motivate your current team when you crap on them at every turn, but never take responsibility for your own failings as a coach? It's interesting to me that Randy loves to point out how the coaches who followed him eroded what he had built while not accepting that he did the same thing at his dream job of Maryland. The team that he left behind was less talented and achieved far less than the teams that won ACC Titles and went to BCS Games under Fridge.

Reaction Score
All of this may be true, but so is Edsall's seemingly pathological need to remind the world that his team is weak, slow, inexperienced etc. He also feels the need to remind everyone constantly that his predecessors cratered the program. How is it supposed to motivate your current team when you crap on them at every turn, but never take responsibility for your own failings as a coach? It's interesting to me that Randy loves to point out how the coaches who followed him eroded what he had built while not accepting that he did the same thing at his dream job of Maryland. The team that he left behind was less talented and achieved far less than the teams that won ACC Titles and went to BCS Games under Fridge.

I get that you do not like HCRE. And the MD teams have underachieved in the last decade, but it was not for lack of talent. The recruiting rankings do not support your thesis.

Reaction Score
I think we will, I'd like to see us blitz more this year. The defensive backfield will be better this year than other teams and opposing QB's think. We will have one of the quickest and strongest linebackers in the league on the team this fall in Dillon Harris, as well as one of the biggest and strongest LB's in the league in Kevon Jones returning from last year. We also have grad transfer DJ Morgan.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

He says it because people have been turned off to the team and he feels he needs to explain what he walked into. The kids aren't stupid- they know they were overmatched. I spoke to one of our better players who said he loved playing as a freshman but was not ready for it.

Regarding Maryland, RE had to rebuild because many kids had off field issues and he was brought in to clean that up and remain competitive. One year he was down to his 5th string QB if I remember correctly. No one since he has left has done much with the program. Not sure RE is to squarely to blame for Terps problems.

Bottom line, UConn is a massive rebuild, the worst is behind us but now we need to see better for fans sake.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom