EDD: Why UConn wasn't for me | Page 2 | The Boneyard

EDD: Why UConn wasn't for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
maybe the "in crowd" knew the truth all along and even knew she was leaving in the middle of the night ;)
No, we didn't know that and note my comment said nothing about ahead of time.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Quoting ESPN of a couple of years ago:

“She said after leaving UConn last year that she had realized she was burned out on basketball and no longer had the passion to compete at the sport's highest level. She spent last year playing volleyball at Delaware, making the Colonial Athletic Association's all-rookie team.

But in an interview Tuesday with the Hartford Courant, Delle Donne said in hindsight she now realizes that she was homesick.”

She sees it different in hindsight, I go with what is said at the time. Uconn looked too hard and wasn’t willing to do it. She didn’t run out in the middle of the night ‘cause of the onset of 48 hour homesickness – she saw what was up and decided wasn’t for her. All the other reasons for being home are all well and good (and good reasons to be happy with her decision), just not the reason she pulled the big vamoose.

By the way, she was born Sept 5, 1989. When she was at Uconn in the summer of 2008 she was a couple of months short of 19, not 17 years old.
Ok, she was 18. It was reported that she was 17.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I would not characterize my criticism about her leaving as harsh. I have always felt that it was her life and her decision to make. I was very critical of how she chose to leave, skulking off in the middle of the night. At the time I thought it was a cowardly and disrespectful act and I haven't changed my mind about that

VTC: People do that, especially kids, when they are faced with emotional issues beyond their immediate ability to deal with; they just run. I hope that doesn't make someone a bad person.
I know I've done it; 15 years ago and I still feel terrible about it. I daresay others, even on this board may have had the experience. A flaw, yes, certainly... a permanent stain with regard an adolescent? Forget about it ( Brooklyn accent and regional spelling required)!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What does EDD's recruiting history say for her future in the WNBA...if there is a future. I did not see her whole interview. Was she asked about whether she saw a WNBA future as fitting within her now firmly validated life choices about what is important?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think this article portrays Geno in an unfair light. He was more than fair with her, giving her time to work things out. I suspect his treatment of a quirky situation was far better than the vast majority of coaches would have been.

[For what it's worth, I think the board was pretty reasonable about it, as well I suspect that much of the difference of opinion has to do with the "cult" of EDD supporters on the board. Many people, and I guess if I thought about it I'd be in this group have a "Okay we weren't right for you, good luck we wish you well" attitude about her. I think a good percentage of this group gets annoyed when EDD becomes a reoccurring item on the board as she never played a game for us, and probably cost us a NC or two. To them she's a OT item. Although I sympathize with that group, I remind them that they don't have to open the the threads. In the other camp, many people seem to see her as noblely giving up fame and notarity to be with her sister. I suggest, and Elena has said this recently, she was just a home sick kid. It's her life and she's comfortable with her choice. She is a likeable kid.]

I wish the media would tell the story fairly. It seems like they want to make Geno out as the villain and Eleana as a heroine. The truth is a bit different but still compelling. I wish they'd let the facts speak for themselves.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Bully for you.

Here's what I think...hiding behind a pseud and hurling insults at a 17 year old is more than cowardly…BTW, you were there when she left?

At least in a newspaper, if you editorialize, you have to step up and be identified. Here at The Boneyard you can hide in the bushes and lob grenades at a teenager.
My name is John Cook. I live in Burlington. I'm not hiding behind anything. Any of the sanctimonious chiming in with their info?

Much of what is characterized as insults is really just a different opinion from yours that is negative. For example, if I were to say that I believe one of my co-workers is arrogant and smug or that my Aunt Betsy's beef stew is way too bland, that is my opinion. It is not a positive opinion. It is not complimentary, but it is not meant as an insult. It is my characterization of him or her or the stew. I believe it to be true, you may not. You may like her stew, and good for you.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think this article portrays Geno in an unfair light. He was more than fair with her, giving her time to work things out. I suspect his treatment of a quirky situation was far better than the vast majority of coaches would have been.

[For what it's worth, I think the board was pretty reasonable about it, as well I suspect that much of the difference of opinion has to do with the "cult" of EDD supporters on the board. Many people, and I guess if I thought about it I'd be in this group have a "Okay we weren't right for you, good luck we wish you well" attitude about her. I think a good percentage of this group gets annoyed when EDD becomes a reoccurring item on the board as she never played a game for us, and probably cost us a NC or two. To them she's a OT item. Although I sympathize with that group, I remind them that they don't have to open the the threads. In the other camp, many people seem to see her as noblely giving up fame and notarity to be with her sister. I suggest, and Elena has said this recently, she was just a home sick kid. It's her life and she's comfortable with her choice. She is a likeable kid.]

I wish the media would tell the story fairly. It seems like they want to make Geno out as the villain and Eleana as a heroine. The truth is a bit different but still compelling. I wish they'd let the facts speak for themselves.

EDD certainly does not cast Geno as the villain. She flatly states Geno had it figured out long before she did. She is a class act (no I do not mean she is acting).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, folks gave Kalana grief for making an honest, upfront comment!!! KG didn't deserve that, and she wouldn't have been open to it if Elena had not been so unclear about what was really going on.

Didnt follow this closely when it happened. But now Im curious as to what this other player said that got her grief. PM's are ok, if its not appropriate to discuss in an open forum.

That being said.... this young lady seems like a good kid... and I wish Delaware a deep run.... unless they face Duke of course.

Reaction Score
Quoting ESPN of a couple of years ago:

“She said after leaving UConn last year that she had realized she was burned out on basketball and no longer had the passion to compete at the sport's highest level. She spent last year playing volleyball at Delaware, making the Colonial Athletic Association's all-rookie team.

But in an interview Tuesday with the Hartford Courant, Delle Donne said in hindsight she now realizes that she was homesick.”

She sees it different in hindsight, I go with what is said at the time. Uconn looked too hard and wasn’t willing to do it. She didn’t run out in the middle of the night ‘cause of the onset of 48 hour homesickness – she saw what was up and decided wasn’t for her. All the other reasons for being home are all well and good (and good reasons to be happy with her decision), just not the reason she pulled the big vamoose.

By the way, she was born Sept 5, 1989. When she was at Uconn in the summer of 2008 she was a couple of months short of 19, not 17 years old.
I don't agree with your holding her statement when leaving against her statement in the Courant. "Burned out" and "homesick" are not contradictions. That must have been a very emotional decision (to leave) that had many, many components to it. Reflections on why I made decisions in the past often change as I gain a further insight into the situation. What I'm saying is that I don't believe she was or is deceiving us concerning her decision. What I see is a young person who had incredible courage to make a very unpopular decision when faced with a convulsive emotional reaction to being where she had put herself.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
EDD certainly does not cast Geno as the villain. She flatly states Geno had it figured out long before she did. She is a class act (no I do not mean she is acting).
Exactly, she does not.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Didnt follow this closely when it happened. But now Im curious as to what this other player said that got her grief. PM's are ok, if its not appropriate to discuss in an open forum.

That being said.... this young lady seems like a good kid... and I wish Delaware a deep run.... unless they face Duke of course.
Could this be it? I remember that the middle part of the blog, where there are quotes about trust, is what received a lot of attention:

http://blog.ctnews.com/elliott/2008/07/14/kalana-speaks-on-elena/

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't agree with your holding her statement when leaving against her statement in the Courant. "Burned out" and "homesick" are not contradictions. That must have been a very emotional decision (to leave) that had many, many components to it. Reflections on why I made decisions in the past often change as I gain a further insight into the situation. What I'm saying is that I don't believe she was or is deceiving us concerning her decision. What I see is a young person who had incredible courage to make a very unpopular decision when faced with a convulsive emotional reaction to being where she had put herself.
Many people spend years in therapy to work through just these kinds of things and their self understandings change and shift during that process. That does not mean the understanding in any one moment is "wrong." Such things are fluid, dynamic and contextual. You are very correct that there are aspects of burnout and homesickness that can be held in common.

JS

Reaction Score
Much of what is characterized as insults is really just a different opinion from yours that is negative. For example, if I were to say that I believe one of my co-workers is arrogant and smug or that my Aunt Betsy's beef stew is way too bland, that is my opinion. It is not a positive opinion. It is not complimentary, but it is not meant as an insult. It is my characterization of him or her or the stew. I believe it to be true, you may not. You may like her stew, and good for you.
The problem with this analysis is that we have rules here, one of which is that we don't trash the players -- ours or theirs.

There are a few posters who take it upon themselves to post negative character judgments about players. An example occurred last night in relation to Diggins and earned a rebuke from the admin, to you and others, that you didn't like.

Another is VTCW's statement in this thread that the manner of EDD's leaving was "cowardly and disrespectful." He scrapes by with that because it pertains only to a particular act and is ostensibly not a judgment on the person. It suffers, however, from the usual defects of superficiality (we don't really know) and presumptuousness.

We're here to talk basketball. No one's asking for a few individuals' criticisms of the character of the players we're following, and those who object to such judgments aren't just being "sanctimonious." The point is that such criticisms are on thin ice as far as our rules are concerned.

A poster is free to call a co-worker arrogant or smug, or say he's a coward or a creep or whatever to whomever he chooses. Yes, those are opinions and may or may not be considered insults in context, regardless of whether they are said to be "meant as such."

But the bottom line is that negative "opinions" on the character of players may be inappropriate for posting in this forum under our rules. We have to make judgments about that and will.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The problem with this analysis is that we have rules here, one of which is that we don't trash the players -- ours or theirs.

There are a few posters who take it upon themselves to post negative character judgments about players. An example occurred last night in relation to Diggins and earned a rebuke from the admin, to you and others, that you didn't like.

Another is VTCW's statement in this thread that the manner of EDD's leaving was "cowardly and disrespectful." He scrapes by with that because it pertains only to a particular act and is ostensibly not a judgment on the person. It suffers, however, from the usual defects of superficiality (we don't really know) and presumptuousness.

We're here to talk basketball. No one's asking for a few individuals' criticisms of the character of the players we're following, and those who object to such judgments aren't just being "sanctimonious." The point is that such criticisms are on thin ice as far as our rules are concerned.

A poster is free to call a co-worker arrogant or smug, or say he's a coward or a creep or whatever to whomever he chooses. Yes, those are opinions and may or may not be considered insults in context, regardless of whether they are said to be "meant as such."

But the bottom line is that negative "opinions" on the character of players may be inappropriate for posting in this forum under our rules. We have to make judgments about that and will.

Very well said. I think that we forget the standards that these players are held to by their coaches and universities. Anything that they do is under the microscope of those of us who are fans of the teams. To speculate on players' character is very dangerous territory when typically have no details of what is going on with a player.

I suspect that EDD was a bit embarrassed to say that she was homesick. I would guess that we have all said something to get out of a situation with the least amount of criticism. Maybe being "burned out" was what she felt at the time. She probably resented basketball for being the vehicle that sent her away from her family. I can understand how she might have felt burned out.

CL82

Reaction Score

Reread my post and realize that I never said that she did. The media, however, ignores what actually took place at the time and uses some more recent quotes out of context to unfairly paint Geno that way.

CL82

Reaction Score

I'd love a PM with this infor as well. I never got the real story

Reaction Score
Very well said. I think that we forget the standards that these players are held to by their coaches and universities. Anything that they do is under the microscope of those of us who are fans of the teams. To speculate on players' character is very dangerous territory when typically have no details of what is going on with a player.

I suspect that EDD was a bit embarrassed to say that she was homesick. I would guess that we have all said something to get out of a situation with the least amount of criticism. Maybe being "burned out" was what she felt at the time. She probably resented basketball for being the vehicle that sent her away from her family. I can understand how she might have felt burned out.

Here's what I don't get: UConn has arguably the best women's basketball program in the country. It has arguably the best fan base (I know, there are plenty of others, but ours tends to be both reasonable and knowledgeable, which is a pretty powerful combination IMHO). So why is it that we cannot muster up enough love to give this kid her due, to acknowledge that she recognized that UConn was not right for her, for very reasonable family reasons, and let it go at that? Why can't we enjoy the success she's having and that she's bringing to her team this year, just as many of us cheer for mid-major underdogs like Gonzaga, Marist and Wisconsin-Green Bay (Go Phoenix!!) all the time?

I was happily surprised to find the rabid UConn fan who wears the mini-basketablls on his head (I'm being vague because I don't know him, though many of you do) was so impressed by EDD that he goes to her games. And what's wrong with that? I recognize that some -- maybe many -- fans here have let go of EDD's decision to not attend UConn, but a few haven't, and I just cannot, for the life of me, understand what misplaced sense of loyalty prevents them from doing so.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think a "public" link was provided... KG's comments weren't private

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Here's what I don't get: UConn has arguably the best women's basketball program in the country. It has arguably the best fan base (I know, there are plenty of others, but ours tends to be both reasonable and knowledgeable, which is a pretty powerful combination IMHO). So why is it that we cannot muster up enough love to give this kid her due, to acknowledge that she recognized that UConn was not right for her, for very reasonable family reasons, and let it go at that? Why can't we enjoy the success she's having and that she's bringing to her team this year, just as many of us cheer for mid-major underdogs like Gonzaga, Marist and Wisconsin-Green Bay (Go Phoenix!!) all the time?

I was happily surprised to find the rabid UConn fan who wears the mini-basketablls on his head (I'm being vague because I don't know him, though many of you do) was so impressed by EDD that he goes to her games. And what's wrong with that? I recognize that some -- maybe many -- fans here have let go of EDD's decision to not attend UConn, but a few haven't, and I just cannot, for the life of me, understand what misplaced sense of loyalty prevents them from doing so.
child-like (hope Im not being harsh...)

HuskyBill and I had a chat about this (not just EDD but any other player)... why dont "some" fans enjoy the game of WCBB and not be so narrow about only "everything UConn".

They are missing out on a whole lot of talented players and just good young adults.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Thanks to FairView for the link to Rich's column quoting Kalana. Interesting to read it today ... and I am again very favorably impressed with her comments.

At the time, many in the BY lambasted her, said Geno should read her the riot act, and went so far as to argue that if EDD
did not return for the fall semester it would be Kalana's fault. At the time, I pointed out that KG was in fact showing leadership and doing Elena a favor: Kalana was making clear how it would be if Elena did decide to return, and that would allow her to make a better decision for herself.

Apparently, she did make the best decision for herself. That's terrific and I'm happy it worked out (though still would have loved to see her play more). BUT, like many here, that doesn't translate into being a fan of hers ... can't think of many non-Huskies who would qualify, in fact. I do kinda like Novosel, even though she's been tough on UConn.

Elena made the right decision. It was not an easy decision, from all accounts, but I don't see it as particularly courageous or admirable. How onerous is it to keep in touch with loved ones? Is it all that courageous to give up potential fame (which she was not really doing, in retrospect) or NCs or a dream (if in fact the most elite bball was her dream ... and, anyway, doesn't everyone have to make choices about what dreams to pursue?) Yeah, it takes some guts go against what society (or family) expects of you. Kudos to Elena for that. But KG did the same -- the PC thing would have been to keep quiet (as many in the BY made clear at the time) -- and I haven't seen anyone hailing Kalana for being courageous about that.

It also seems to me it would take courage, and be admirable, if Elena had opted to go the other way -- to stay at UConn. The courage to change her life, to challenge her bball prowess, to give up contact with her family. Bottom line for bringing this up: EDD being hailed as a great bball player or a terrific person is reasonable (though I'm indifferent), but hailing her for deciding to take a path that would seem pretty damn comfortable for anyone ... what's with that? What makes sacrificing being a UConn Husky so incredibly praiseworthy? Is giving family priority in your life that difficult or unsual?

So, I have no problem with Elena. Indeed, hope to finally get to see her play some in the tourney (with ESPN and its 'wraparound' coverage, I'm not entirely confident it will happen). I think it's great that she gives importance to others and wants to help people. But, I have to admit I am mildly
irked by those who want to confer sainthood upon her.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Reread my post and realize that I never said that she did. The media, however, ignores what actually took place at the time and uses some more recent quotes out of context to unfairly paint Geno that way.

I got it the first time. Just thought it was good to remind the slow readers, etc., that what existed then and now is a very perceptive guy called Geno and a very classey young woman who has the maturity to admit it and, having figured it out, is rightly proud of him and herself. :cool: Sorry if my post seemed like criticism, it was not intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom