EDD not Playing OverSeas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

EDD not Playing OverSeas

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
her and EDD are very attractive young women. As much as I hate to admit looks will effect these things, these two should be marketed to the nation at large because they are pretty an(not that they aren't great players) something that Griner or to a lesser extent D don't have. I think the WNBA needs this to reach a larger fan base (sadly).

I can see saying someone is pretty, but saying someone is not is interesting. Basically, you said DT is unattractive, although not as unattractive as Griner.

Those who think EDD and Diggins are pretty are not going to become fans of WBB for that reason. That is not the demographic of the WNBA.

Reaction Score
. I can see saying someone is pretty, but saying someone is not is interesting. Basically, you said DT is unattractive, although not as unattractive as Griner.

Those who think EDD and Diggins are pretty are not going to become fans of WBB for that reason. That is not the demographic of the WNBA.
I think feeling the need to market to lesbians, or market pretty girls to mainstream males, or market whatever non-basketball attribute to whatever demographic, is just remedial to the main issue - making the basketball product interesting enough to attract the mainstream sports fan.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think feeling the need to market to lesbians, or market pretty girls to mainstream males, or market whatever non-basketball attribute to whatever demographic, is just remedial to the main issue - making the basketball product interesting enough to attract the mainstream sports fan.

It's all about the game. I vote that as their advertising slogan for next season.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
svetbird said:
her and EDD are very attractive young women. As much as I hate to admit looks will effect these things, these two should be marketed to the nation at large because they are pretty an(not that they aren't great players) something that Griner or to a lesser extent D don't have. I think the WNBA needs this to reach a larger fan base (sadly).

Well I don't know who 'her' is but I'm guessing it's Diggins.

Well I can see that a value in marketing looks might bring in fans though one has to wonder if these are fans of basketball or fans of pretty girls.

As one who looks beyond the face and watches basketball prowess and values a great player I would hope That the great player not the look would be the attraction for the serious basketball fan.

If the WNBA stoops to market itself based on pretty girls then I would imagine that that would be pretty demoralizing for women's basketball. As a musician I would rather be judged based upon my talent and performance, and not upon my looks.

Because if it were about looks and not about quality I don't think I would want to exist in such a superficial world

Reaction Score
Well I don't know who 'her' is but I'm guessing it's Diggins.

Well I can see that a value in marketing looks might bring in fans though one has to wonder if these are fans of basketball or fans of pretty girls.

As one who looks beyond the face and watches basketball prowess and values a great player I would hope That the great player not the look would be the attraction for the serious basketball fan.

If the WNBA stoops to market itself based on pretty girls then I would imagine that that would be pretty demoralizing for women's basketball. As a musician I would rather be judged based upon my talent and performance, and not upon my looks.

Because if it were about looks and not about quality I don't think I would want to exist in such a superficial world
Welcome to the real world

upload_2014-9-25_21-18-11.png

Sports Illustrated has a little over 3 million subscribers and is read by 23 million people per week. But their annual swimsuit issue has 15X that circulation, is responsible for $35 million in ad revenue (per issue) and gets 35 million online views.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Marketing individual players because they are attractive is the way of the world. It happens with males, as well. How else do you get the most eligible bachelor athlete articles and the downright bizarre fascination a few years ago about Gisele Bundchen dated and married Tom Brady.

I don't think it is likely to transfer into putting additional fannies in the seats and even more so, isn't going to make new converts to the sport. But I suppose there isn't anything wrong with it, as long as the athlete doesn't mind. I just don't happen to care how my team's athletes look.

Just to be full disclosure - I have never bought a swimsuit issue, but did see some of one of the ESPN Body Issues years ago.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think probably the ultimate of 'marketing' of the athlete over the sport is beach volleyball. Too lazy to check the figures, but I suspect the women's game is at least equally popular if not more popular than the men's version - I certainly stumble on more women's games being televised. I happen to love volleyball and played it before I blew out my knee, but the swimsuit version is the combination of the SI coverage of sport and their annual swimsuit edition.
And ... we can all say that men's athletics is all about the competition and certainly it is less focused on looks, but if you check endorsement deals and popularity of the male athletes - looks certainly don't hurt. Tom Brady would be a great QB getting paid millions if he looked like the back side of a horse, but he would not be making as much off the field.

Reaction Score

I wish this was the case but there are a lot of sexists who wont watch women's basketball because they think they all look like Griner and will not be able to play as well as the men. I know people who only tuned in to our simi final game because they loved the look of Diggins. As much as I love the game, other guys need that "hot girl" to tune in.

Not the sane issue but my own dad would never watch women's basketball because he was sure the product sucked. He would make fun of me for watching it. One day he was board walked in the room while I was watching and fell in love with UConn in one day. Now he thinks the women's game is more skilled than the men's.

I think for some the attractive girl may have that effect on other guys, get them to come to the table for the looks , stay for the basketball!

Reaction Score

I can see saying someone is pretty, but saying someone is not is interesting. Basically, you said DT is unattractive, although not as unattractive as Griner.

Not exactly what I meant. I just think Diggins and EDD are gorgeous and may get casual viewers to tune in. Where D and Griner look more like stereotypical athletes. I trust the quality of the sport to convert those who have preconceived notions and have never watched until they saw these players. I don't care why someone tuned in first. just that they fall in love with the game

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Diggins got some of my friends watching when she was at ND

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I guess we have to agree to disagree here. My dad called me some 30 years ago or so and said, "kid, I know you love basketball. There is a team, a coach here that plays the most beautiful game of basketball you have ever seen. Come home this weekend and watch with me."

And that was that

But I guess I am wired that way. I don't look at musicians, I listen to them. Actors, I watch performances, aware that there are writers and directors helping them/giving them material with which to work while they research and develop their characters and their respective motivations. The fire guys who came to my apartment house to put out the fire, I never once looked at their faces from a standpoint of physical beauty. I was just glad that they were there to help.

I was riding a city bus the other day carrying three bags of groceries. Standing next to me was a man who had a hard, grizzled, creased face, tousled hair cut short and whitened with age...he had a bit of a belly, scruffy tee and faded jeans, and very blue eyes. He struck up a conversation with me while surreptitiously looking in my bags..he was an undercover cop on duty that day in response to the heightened security that prevails in this city. We had a nice conversation once he realized that I wasn't going to blow up the bus...he was from Queens I am thinking, based upon his accent. Certainly this man was no specimen of beauty, but I liked his soul very much - clearly he loved his city...

Beauty has it's place. Physical beauty is only skin deep, and it doesn't last. Inner beauty is a much different thing. It is the soul, it is either god given or it is developed and lasts until the body gives out. the beauty of sport transcends any physical beauty IMO. Nothing beats a well played game.

If the WNBA uses players such as EDD and Diggins to bring in viewership, it is the purist in me that shudders at the thought, and thinks that it is too bad that folks would not tune in simply because they like basketball....like I did, a long time ago.

JMO

Reaction Score
http://www.delawareonline.com/story...nne-believes-home-cooking-will-cure/16167545/

Smart move on EDD's part. Has to find a means to get completely healthy if she wants a long Basketball Career.
EDD for all the bad blog press is one fine player with great talent. My mind is still out on what kind of person she is---I'm not sure she used her sister for too many excuses--But her mom wow what a great lady, beautiful, smart , caring and polite and she truly loves her kids. Don't know much about Dad--only that he was buying a house near Derby when EDD bolted back to Delaware, from what I was told.

Reaction Score
I guess we have to agree to disagree here. My dad called me some 30 years ago or so and said, "kid, I know you love basketball. There is a team, a coach here that plays the most beautiful game of basketball you have ever seen. Come home this weekend and watch with me."

And that was that

But I guess I am wired that way. I don't look at musicians, I listen to them. Actors, I watch performances, aware that there are writers and directors helping them/giving them material with which to work while they research and develop their characters and their respective motivations. The fire guys who came to my apartment house to put out the fire, I never once looked at their faces from a standpoint of physical beauty. I was just glad that they were there to help.

I was riding a city bus the other day carrying three bags of groceries. Standing next to me was a man who had a hard, grizzled, creased face, tousled hair cut short and whitened with age...he had a bit of a belly, scruffy tee and faded jeans, and very blue eyes. He struck up a conversation with me while surreptitiously looking in my bags..he was an undercover cop on duty that day in response to the heightened security that prevails in this city. We had a nice conversation once he realized that I wasn't going to blow up the bus...he was from Queens I am thinking, based upon his accent. Certainly this man was no specimen of beauty, but I liked his soul very much - clearly he loved his city...

Beauty has it's place. Physical beauty is only skin deep, and it doesn't last. Inner beauty is a much different thing. It is the soul, it is either god given or it is developed and lasts until the body gives out. the beauty of sport transcends any physical beauty IMO. Nothing beats a well played game.

If the WNBA uses players such as EDD and Diggins to bring in viewership, it is the purist in me that shudders at the thought, and thinks that it is too bad that folks would not tune in simply because they like basketball....like I did, a long time ago.

JMO
To me the face of the WNBA is not Skylar Diggins or EDD but Steff Dolson. Ok the purple hair was a bit over the top but that's steff. What sets her apart is the smile, the fun, the glee--any team that gets her shall forever be happy. There are better players, true. But there is only one Steff.
Radylady--the game is the game, it's how it's played. I've watched Geno's teams yo these many years and I am spoiled. There are many "marks" that distinguish Geno's team, but I love their passing and TEAM play. Geno has STAR's because that along with TEAM play wins--unselfish is another MARK. In "cleanup " time I watch to see the improvement the end of the bench has developed.

Last edited by a moderator:

dannykuconn

Cheerman of Board
Reaction Score
EDD for all the bad blog press is one fine player with great talent. My mind is still out on what kind of person she is---I'm not sure she used her sister for too many excuses--But her mom wow what a great lady, beautiful, smart , caring and polite and she truly loves her kids. Don't know much about Dad--only that he was buying a house near Derby when EDD bolted back to Delaware, from what I was told.

I do know both her mom and dad and fot some reason they treated me as part of their family. Still keep in touch with them and as great as Joanie is her dad is just as great of a person I have ever met.
Now on a different part of this thread I go back almost 30 years. I am at home flipping through the channels when I see Pam Webber taking the ball up court. I watch for a few minutes but because I am a male I keep flipping through the channels. Again I arrive on CPTV and again Pam is bringing the ball up court. This time I stay on that channel until the game ends. Yada yada yada the rest is history.

Reaction Score
I do know both her mom and dad and fot some reason they treated me as part of their family. Still keep in touch with them and as great as Joanie is her dad is just as great of a person I have ever met.
Now on a different part of this thread I go back almost 30 years. I am at home flipping through the channels when I see Pam Webber taking the ball up court. I watch for a few minutes but because I am a male I keep flipping through the channels. Again I arrive on CPTV and again Pam is bringing the ball up court. This time I stay on that channel until the game ends. Yada yada yada the rest is history.
EDD's Mom treats all that way. I barely knew her and she was gracious, kind and open. Tell me is this what happens to your mind after watch so much WBB? Ya da ya daa ya daaaa

Reaction Score

The WNBA and WBB College need to work hard to SELL WBB to the uninformed world. I speak to all women who wear a College shirt (Nebraska, JMU, UVa, etc) and ask them about their team or a particular player on that team--they think I'm from another planet. Football lots of women know whose on those teams, many know the Mens BB teams--women"?? What are they. I preach the gospel of WBB how pure how great , not the beautiful women (and quiet a few are fantastic).
But I'm hissing in the wind--the choir went home to watch football.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The WNBA and WBB College need to work hard to SELL WBB to the uninformed world. I speak to all women who wear a College shirt (Nebraska, JMU, UVa, etc) and ask them about their team or a particular player on that team--they think I'm from another planet. Football lots of women know whose on those teams, many know the Mens BB teams--women"?? What are they. I preach the gospel of WBB how pure how great , not the beautiful women (and quiet a few are fantastic).
But I'm hissing in the wind--the choir went home to watch football.

When I bring up WBB to fans who have on a college team shirt, they usually look at me as if to say "why would you ask me about that?"

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
STOP WITH THE CHILDISH NAME CALLING. Geez, I'm a broken record here.

When you use insulting names when referring to players, you are saying far more about yourself and your lack of maturity than you are about the player you're trying to malign.

Reaction Score
I think EDD and Skylar are indeed attractive young women but that's not why I think so much of them. It's the passion they play the game with that attracts me to watch them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom