Ed Cooley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ed Cooley

Reaction Score
Cooley has also had a year where he lost Dunn to injury and Brandon Austin & Rodney Bullock to suspension and a guy (Bentil) that left too early as well. In addition, they have been 3rd twice and 4th twice in the 4 years since the AAC was formed in a top 5 conference.

Reaction Score
Expectations are different for UConn than Providence. Last season the perception was that Providence had a banner year and UConn had a down year. Last year UConn finished with a higher RPI and had more wins than PC. PC had a big year getting to the second round of the tourney. UConn had a disappointing year losing in the second round of the tourney. This year UConn has just had a year where everything went wrong that could go wrong injury wise. I'm not sure that there is any college coach in the country that could have done much better with the adversity UConn faced this year.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that there is any college coach in the country that could have done much better with the adversity UConn faced this year.

I think you need to convince a lot of people here that this is the case.

Reaction Score
Expectations are different for UConn than Providence. Last season the perception was that Providence had a banner year and UConn had a down year. Last year UConn finished with a higher RPI and had more wins than PC. PC had a big year getting to the second round of the tourney. UConn had a disappointing year losing in the second round of the tourney. This year UConn has just had a year where everything went wrong that could go wrong injury wise. I'm not sure that there is any college coach in the country that could have done much better with the adversity UConn faced this year.
I think you highly underestimate the value of a good coach, highly overate the coaching performance by Kevin Ollie this season, or both. There are many coaches who would have done better. Likely not NCAA tourney better, but Ollie got dealt a tough hand with the injuries...and then he got exposed. Exposed for a poor ability to adjust in-game, pre-game and just in his philosophy in general. Since it has become his program, he runs an offense that is predicated on having multiple playmakers...which we don't have in the bunches his pro style set requires. There are 5 games or so HE should have won. Never mind a much better and more experienced coach.

Reaction Score
I think you highly underestimate the value of a good coach, highly overate the coaching performance by Kevin Ollie this season, or both. There are many coaches who would have done better. Likely not NCAA tourney better, but Ollie got dealt a tough hand with the injuries...and then he got exposed. Exposed for a poor ability to adjust in-game, pre-game and just in his philosophy in general. Since it has become his program, he runs an offense that is predicated on having multiple playmakers...which we don't have in the bunches his pro style set requires. There are 5 games or so HE should have won. Never mind a much better and more experienced coach.

I guess my question is should "he" have won or should the kids have made plays, better plays, smarter plays? Monday QB pretty easy, having no answers or inconsistent performers makes it a tough job no matter who. I agree with Devland but I do respect the adjustments, there could have been a couple maybe just find it tough without experienced go-to guys.

Reaction Score
I strongly disagree with your last sentence.

Reaction Score
Being a PC fan, the best thing about Cooley is that the team typically plays better later in the year and in 2nd halves of games.

Reaction Score
I guess my question is should "he" have won or should the kids have made plays, better plays, smarter plays? Monday QB pretty easy, having no answers or inconsistent performers makes it a tough job no matter who. I agree with Devland but I do respect the adjustments, there could have been a couple maybe just find it tough without experienced go-to guys.
This isn't the NBA where the coach might not have control over personnel. And it isn't Ollie's first or second year. This is his team. He built it. Granted he didnt build it to look like the team he ended up having...but his job is to assemble a team and coach it to its fullest potential. I'd argue one or two things are happening (including but not limited to this year. He's either not getting the pieces he needs for his style of play. Or he has the wrong style of play for the pieces he has. I recognize that these may read like one and the same but they aren't. And the need to adjust after the injuries is him being exposed for being a very limited coach in my opinion. He runs an offensive set that requires guys to be able to individually make plays. Guys who can break down their man and go by people. The guys he's been bringing in are pretty limited in that capacity (and that includes Daniel Hamilton). So if you don't have players who are capable of that, the only viable option is to adjust. Ollie has shown almost zero capability in that regard. We ran the same stuff last year as we ran this year despite having very few bullets in the gun. We don't set screens for the shooters. We don't get the ball down low. Our offense generally consisted of, "thank god Jalen can go by somebody and finish or kick for a jump shot if help defense arrives."

In business, if the company fails, the CEO gets the blame regardless of whether he/she really was the reason. In college hoops, there is no, "it's the players not the coach." Ona similar note, the staff is Ollie's staff. It's his responsibility to assemble them too. This notion that it's not Ollie's faults, it his assistants, is bs. The coach's job is to get the right assistant and players and put them in a position to win. Ollie hasn't shown a talent for that. And I find it really concerning. Next year will tell a lot.

Reaction Score
And while I don't think it's actually fair to compare Jim Calhoun and Kevin Ollie, I saw JC in his first year, take a team at the end of a long grueling season comprised of Tex Spradling, Greg Economu, Spider Ursery, Tate George and a one armed Steve Pikiell (Cliff and Phil has been declared academically ineligible at that point) and beat a Seton Hall team that a few years later would almost win the national championship. THAT is what a great coach does. And I remember thinking at the end of that season - even after going 9-19, that we were in good hands. I've watched KO for 5 years now, and with 4 & 5 star recruits and some interesting pieces (like Brimah and Facey and Seam Miller and Sterling Gibbs, etc) and I feel like we underachieve far more times than not, and underutilize the collection of talent and pieces that have been assembled. You must see something I don't. Or vice verse. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Any relation to bucket head- the guitarist who took over slash in the horrible version of GnR?

Reaction Score
If you don't think Cooley is doing a good job at PC you're just letting the UCONN side of the equation get in the way of giving a balanced assessment of the guy.

He's getting better at in-game coaching which early on was an obvious weakness. Hes a more than a decent recruiter. He's been very close on some top tier kid and while those aren't wins, just getting PC into those conversations to the very end is a huge step forward for PC.

I know that KO has the title and that beats anything - but, to me, over the past few years Cooley's doing a better job coaching (not recruiting) in a better conference.

I am hopeful that next year we see a more productive and consistent UCONN team.

Reaction Score
And while I don't think it's actually fair to compare Jim Calhoun and Kevin Ollie, I saw JC in his first year, take a team at the end of a long grueling season comprised of Tex Spradling, Greg Economu, Spider Ursery, Tate George and a one armed Steve Pikiell (Cliff and Phil has been declared academically ineligible at that point) and beat a Seton Hall team that a few years later would almost win the national championship. THAT is what a great coach does. And I remember thinking at the end of that season - even after going 9-19, that we were in good hands. I've watched KO for 5 years now, and with 4 & 5 star recruits and some interesting pieces (like Brimah and Facey and Seam Miller and Sterling Gibbs, etc) and I feel like we underachieve far more times than not, and underutilize the collection of talent and pieces that have been assembled. You must see something I don't. Or vice verse. Time will tell.

JC had some nice pieces when he won the NIT too. Just in case you didn't realize I also watched that season with Economou and gang, heck Steve Hall a soccer player played at times. Masterful year no doubt, knew he was going to be pretty good, then he won a NIT as I said. Not a National Championship mind you. And JC didn't have to beg certain players to remain loyal and then keep a team together without anything got play for, go 20-10 in the Big East. Thought that one was pretty masterful myself but hey I'm just another guy not an expert like yourself. I mean JC had to build a program so his was harder, or was it. Not sure it's easy for a 1st year coach to have to keep the program that was built together because of APR sanctions, and get what he got out of them but hey, you say he's underutilized all of his talent? Then all of those pieces, who weren't all that good under the JC system (Deandre was lost, Giffey wasn't much, Boat and Bazz learned to play together somehow, hmm maybe it was good coaching? Nah can't be, Kromah a transfer meshed in beautifully but heck that was pure luck not coaching ) but they somehow gelled under an incapable coach according to you?

Maybe I'm missing something or maybe you're just a really good talent evaluator suddenly. You picked the year to pick on the guy that's for sure.

Time will tell.

Reaction Score
JC had some nice pieces when he won the NIT too. Just in case you didn't realize I also watched that season with Economou and gang, heck Steve Hall a soccer player played at times. Masterful year no doubt, knew he was going to be pretty good, then he won a NIT as I said. Not a National Championship mind you. And JC didn't have to beg certain players to remain loyal and then keep a team together without anything got play for, go 20-10 in the Big East. Thought that one was pretty masterful myself but hey I'm just another guy not an expert like yourself. I mean JC had to build a program so his was harder, or was it. Not sure it's easy for a 1st year coach to have to keep the program that was built together because of APR sanctions, and get what he got out of them but hey, you say he's underutilized all of his talent? Then all of those pieces, who weren't all that good under the JC system (Deandre was lost, Giffey wasn't much, Boat and Bazz learned to play together somehow, hmm maybe it was good coaching? Nah can't be, Kromah a transfer meshed in beautifully but heck that was pure luck not coaching ) but they somehow gelled under an incapable coach according to you?

Maybe I'm missing something or maybe you're just a really good talent evaluator suddenly. You picked the year to pick on the guy that's for sure.

Time will tell.
I'm not picking on anyone. And I didn't call him incapable. Are you this/that douchy in real life too? You know it's OK for people to have a different opinion. And just because I haven't logged the posts that you have doesn't make my opinion or my posts less "worthy" than your's. I've lurked on this site since the early 90s and I've had far more access to the program than you. Not bragging when I say this. Just reminding you that in the anonymous world of the internet, you don't know who is actually behind the keyboard and all of these silly names. And building he program was exponentially harder than what KO faced. That's not remotely debatable. It was Brian Hall btw.

Reaction Score
I'm not picking on anyone. And I didn't call him incapable. Are you this/that douchy in real life too? You know it's OK for people to have a different opinion. And just because I haven't logged the posts that you have doesn't make my opinion or my posts less "worthy" than your's. I've lurked on this site since the early 90s and I've had far more access to the program than you. Not bragging when I say this. Just reminding you that in the anonymous world of the internet, you don't know who is actually behind the keyboard and all of these silly names. And building he program was exponentially harder than what KO faced. That's not remotely debatable. It was Brian Hall btw.

I think you need to revaluate who the was in this back and forth pal. I replied, you didn't like being questioned as if you are the only one who could be right here? Hilarious to call someone a with that attitude on a basketball fan forum/opinion board. Oh yeah and you should be proud of the "Brian Hall" play, I could tell a guy like you got off on that one.;)...oops my bad.

Reaction Score
I think you need to revaluate who the was in this back and forth pal. I replied, you didn't like being questioned as if you are the only one who could be right here? Hilarious to call someone a with that attitude on a basketball fan forum/opinion board. Oh yeah and you should be proud of the "Brian Hall" play, I could tell a guy like you got off on that one.;)...oops my bad.

Lol this guy. King of the internet!!'

Reaction Score
No. I actually knew Brian. He died in a mountain accident on Mt Hood awhile back. It just felt respectful to me to get his name right.

As for the rest, you are imagining a tone and debate that I can assure you wasn't intended/didn't exist on my end. You seem to do that a lot. Take care "pal".

Reaction Score
No. I actually knew Brian. He died in a mountain accident on Mt Hood awhile back. It just felt respectful to me to get his name right.

As for the rest, you are imagining a tone and debate that I can assure you wasn't intended/didn't exist on my end. You seem to do that a lot. Take care "pal".

Only with those deserving.

I am sorry about Brian, that's sincere and I do remember the story seemed like a great young man.

Reaction Score

Not sure if I count 4 excuses in this post or 5?

To get past the first couple rounds, you have to go through someone at some point, bud.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom