Ed Cooley | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Ed Cooley

Reaction Score
I've praised Cooley but his coaching in this game has been perplexing. He's stayed with the zone even though his team clearly doesn't know how to play it. SC is scorching them right now.

Reaction Score
Cooley did a great job in the regular season but that's a horrific loss especially coming off their no show against Creighton in the Big East tourny. Up 17 in the second half, horrible job extending the game late. Just an awful loss. I thought Bennie Boatwright was coming here at one time, big game for him.

Reaction Score
Pac 12 has three of the best teams in the country this year.
This year they're legitimately good, though Oregon's injuries will hurt. But in the past few years they've certainly been highly overrated. No Final Four teams since 2007 :-O

Reaction Score
This year they're legitimately good, though Oregon's injuries will hurt. But in the past few years they've certainly been highly overrated. No Final Four teams since 2007 :-O
Yes, Oregon is screwed because of injuries. They were a threat before that though.

Reaction Score
I don't think Cooley is a bad coach, but good god, the air comes out of his teams at the worst times.

He just did an awful job of adjusting when USC started taking apart the zone.
Exposed tonight.

Reaction Score
Ed stayed in the zone way too long. Good coach for sure, good guy but how did he not recognize their were ripping it apart?

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
So we have as many NCAA wins in the last calendar year as Providence has in the last 20. Fun

pj

Reaction Score
To be fair, his last two losses last year came against the two teams in the national title game (Nova and UNC)...tough to beat those teams with two guys...and the reason they dropped to a 8/9 seed was because they dropped some games when Dunn and Bentil weren't healthy...Chukwu leaving didn't help that team either. They were very weak after Dunn and Bentil.

You mean Providence fans don't blame their coach when a team underperforms due to injury? Odd!

pj

Reaction Score
I think you highly underestimate the value of a good coach, highly overate the coaching performance by Kevin Ollie this season, or both. There are many coaches who would have done better. Likely not NCAA tourney better, but Ollie got dealt a tough hand with the injuries...and then he got exposed. Exposed for a poor ability to adjust in-game, pre-game and just in his philosophy in general. Since it has become his program, he runs an offense that is predicated on having multiple playmakers...which we don't have in the bunches his pro style set requires. There are 5 games or so HE should have won. Never mind a much better and more experienced coach.

If you optimize for each and every game, then yeah you should be able to win more games, Wagner and Northeastern for example. If you optimize for March, you can't optimize for every game, you build a foundation early in the season rather than a completed hut. KO has done a pretty good job optimizing for March, check his AAC and NCAA tourney records.

And optimizing for March is what I want in a coach. I don't care if he loses a few extra games in November.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
upload_2017-3-16_21-14-9.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member