Ed Cooley | The Boneyard

Ed Cooley

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what to make of Cooley. I'm not following closely, but it seems like he's done a really nice job this year.

However, having 2 first team all Big East players each of the last 2 years, including the player of the year, and winning only 1 total tournament game seems pretty disappointing. He had 2 guys on last year's team who were clearly better than anyone we had, and we ended up with very similar seasons.

Reaction Score
The guy can coach, he's done a hell of a job getting Providence into the tournament this year.
Agreed, has come a long way, a few years ago he was very poor.

Reaction Score
I would take him. I think at UConn he would have us ha k to at least a top 15 program very quickly.

Reaction Score
He's a good coach, not sure how anyone can dispute that. Providence could have done much worse, but they got a program builder over there. We will probably need to watch him soon with competing recruits. He's got a little something to talk about these days which was not the case in years past.

Reaction Score
I would take him. I think at UConn he would have us ha k to at least a top 15 program very quickly.

No, he had better players than we had and didn't do great with them. He is a nice guy, so is Ollie.

C

Chief00

Cooley is a good guy as is KO. In my option Cooley has stronger assistants.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
BUT CAN WE GET THE GUY A HAT!?!

/kidding

Ask cto how luxurious it is to hang out with Ed Cooley and how its a good thing when a young man dies.

Reaction Score
Regarding his past teams with more talented players, he has had a ton of bad luck with his rosters in the past that have held him back from even larger success in his 6 years at PC...Key injuries, a couple key transfers that really hurt (Fortune and Chukwu, both regressed because they left), and a couple of his most prized recruits never played a game (Austin, Ledo). Bentil left earlier than expected as well...He has also lost more than his fair share of recruiting battles for top recruits in recent years, but he is still winning games. The guy gets the most out of what he has. Not many do it as well as he does.

Just one example, he lost Dunn, Austin, and Bullock for the whole season when they won the big east tournament with Cotton...It's scary to think what he could do at a bigger school where he would land all the top recruits he wants.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL at this thread, what Cooley has done at Ptown is nothing special and is not sustainable. But let me guess, we should consider him for Ollies replacement?? LMAO

No one is forcing Ollie out the door right now. I think everyone and myself included want to see what he can do with a healthy team next year. If we suck next year and miss another NCAA tournament than I truly hope we consider other options.

Reaction Score
He's a fine coach. Seems like a good enough guy. No shot at being an elite, upper echelon coach but, for Providence? He's fine. They're a solid mid tier program and he fits them well.

Reaction Score
Cooley is solid, his teams are good and always capable. He had a real good team last year and I thought they underachieved. You know he can build a mid to upper program but can he win the big ones? We don't seem to know that for sure but he's a likable guy.

Reaction Score
To be fair, his last two losses last year came against the two teams in the national title game (Nova and UNC)...tough to beat those teams with two guys...and the reason they dropped to a 8/9 seed was because they dropped some games when Dunn and Bentil weren't healthy...Chukwu leaving didn't help that team either. They were very weak after Dunn and Bentil.

Reaction Score
I hate PC but respect Cooley. Quality underrated coach who gets a lot of hate on here because of where he coaches
He is not going to get any national recognition or looked at for any other jobs until he starts winning tournament games. Coaches make their money in the tourney.

Reaction Score
Cooley has done an outstanding job at Providence and he has been 10 x the coach Ollie's been over the last three seasons. It's hard to win NCAA Tournament games, especially when you're playing North Carolina in Greensboro.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom