Ed Cooley to Georgetown | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Ed Cooley to Georgetown

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don't get the Georgetown love. They were more a coach (John Thompson) than a program. They faded as a national brand and did little after he left. They are a clear second to Maryland in their own market. They haven't come close to filling the Verizon Center in decades and that is unlikely to change very soon. And he will have to compete with other national programs have deep recruiting ties to the area.

Cooley can probably have the same amount of success at Georgetown as he had in Rhode Island. That would be an improvement. But the idea he makes them a national player is iffy at best.
They’re one really bad coach removed from John Thompson. Georgetown as a university is national so it’ll always be a national program. They were just a top team in 2012. I don’t know why so many people on this board think Georgetown has been Patrick Ewing bad since the 90s. Lol

Reaction Score
I keep thinking something else could be up given the in-conference switch. Maybe and I'm just spitballing here, maybe other conferences are watching the Big 12 think outside the box and are also considering adding basketball only programs. Certain other conferences could be thinking what if we created new conference rivalries such as Creighton-Nebraska, Georgetown-Maryland, Marquette-Wisconsin, Georgetown-Virginia, Butler-Indiana, Xavier-Cinci/Ohio State. Yes, certifiably crazy. But then again...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
An all-time cutting your nose off to spite your face move.

They should do it.

I get the sentiment.

If something goes wrong with the Georgetown deal and he wants to stay….PC really has to think about firing him. He’s done actual harm here.

Reaction Score
I don't know if he was playing you PC fans so much as thought that a job like Providence was his ceiling, when it turns out it wasn't (aided by the fact that a historic program like Georgetown is way, way down).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I keep thinking something else could be up given the in-conference switch. Maybe and I'm just spitballing here, maybe other conferences are watching the Big 12 think outside the box and are also considering adding basketball only programs. Certain other conferences could be thinking what if we created new conference rivalries such as Creighton-Nebraska, Georgetown-Maryland, Marquette-Wisconsin, Georgetown-Virginia, Butler-Indiana, Xavier-Cinci/Ohio State. Yes, certifiably crazy. But then again...

Please stop.

Absolutely no one is thinking that.

Zero percent of the conferences outside of the Big 12 keeping Gonzaga as a contingency are thinking about hoop only additions.

Reaction Score
What a lot of fans really don't get is that the vast majority of these coaches are hired guns. Personally, I don't blame them for a moment. Because as soon as there is rough sledding and some losses these fanbases get very focal about canning these guys. In return for that fans expect loyalty?

It's all a about the money folks. The first college or pro program that offers Hurley the right opportunity will put UCONN fans in the same boat. Way of life.......

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't do this. It's bad mojo!

I have spoken!
It’s absolutely the opposite of bad mojo. For what it’s worth, randomly saying stuff is bad mojo, is bad mojo. But there is a way to reverse it.

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF by CBS

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Don’t think you should be so butthurt. There are employees all over the country who give their all to a job when they have it, but when they are offered a better one go. That’s not only their right — it’s perfectly fair and rational.

I don’t doubt that Cooley talking to Georgetown hurt Providence down the stretch, but whose fault is that? If Cooley truly wasn’t giving his all, it’s his. If he was, while he made a decision that he’d prefer G’Town and his agent was on it, but his players slacked off because of the rumors, that’s on the players.

Kind of a ridiculous take to draw a parallel between say an accounting manager taking a new gig at PWC and a college basketball head coach.

Sure it's his right, but when you spend a decade saying it's your dream job, how can you reasonably expect a college sports fan base to not be "butthurt" when so much time, money, and emotion is spent over these teams.

Also to lay blame on the players is kind of ridiculous as well, a grown man making $4M a year sold himself, his program and his vision to them and is bailing and you expect 18-21 years olds to act like professionals and not let it affect their play or concentration?

Reaction Score
Good for Cooley, should make for a good rivalry. PC was a bottom feeder and Cooley brought them out. Another poster said as a African American man the GT gig was hard to pass up and I have to agree. I like Cooley wish him the best......short list of coaches. Billy D (not happening but I can dream) Chris Mack, Jeff Battle(Cooley assistant) Kamini Young, Kennesaw St coach and God Shamggod (started with Cooley when I got the PC job. Helped with Cotton and Dunn development. Been on Dallas Mavericks staff since leaving PC......Luka raves about him)

Reaction Score
This is a great move for both Georgetown and Cooley. Hope he makes them a powerhouse again and hope Pitino does the same for St John’s.

Having those 2 as our conference leaders would be so much better with their markets over teams like Xavier and Marquette.

Cooley is going to kill it over there with all the resources available. It’s probably the most attractive school in conference to recruit at outside of our own.
We are about to be the conference leaders.

Reaction Score
That's nice and all but it was nearly 40 years ago, clinging to that past has destroyed the program. Maybe it's time for them to stop trying to recapture it and move on.

Retro is cool but I don't think Ed Cooley is bringing back the Georgetown Starter jacket for black youth all around America.
I remember the Georgetown Hoya color hightop sneakers. Think they were Nike.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We are about to be the conference leaders.
Including us of course. We’re still the biggest brand in conference. Only a good Georgetown can legitimately compare brand wise.

Reaction Score
I hope this drags out for a couple of weeks. Friar tears are delicious.
For the “most part” they are are letting up on envy and hate of UConn cause they have other things on their minds. They will be back to bash us as we match on in the tournament.

Reaction Score
It’s pretty simply why he would leave. DMV recruiting area, national brand name, and unlimited NIL money.

Providence will always be getting UConn’s sloppy seconds in recruiting. PC’s NIL is very limited. Georgetown alums didn’t want to invest in the program because Ewing was atrocious. Give Georgetown the right coach and the money and recruits will come pouring in. They are the biggest sleeping giant in college basketball, and the BE needs them to wake up

Reaction Score
The new Big12 commissioner is VERY HIGH on basketball so I’m thinking adding basketball only schools as a “division” to the conference is a possibility. Of course at the least we might be able to be guaranteed a few football games yearly. New TV deal is in the works. Just thinking outside the box. Imagine a UConn vs Kansas game on prime time :)

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It’s pretty simply why he would leave. DMV recruiting area, national brand name, and unlimited NIL money.

Providence will always be getting UConn’s sloppy seconds in recruiting. PC’s NIL is very limited. Georgetown alums didn’t want to invest in the program because Ewing was atrocious. Give Georgetown the right coach and the money and recruits will come pouring in. They are the biggest sleeping giant in college basketball, and the BE needs them to wake up
And he was tight with the Thompson family. I still don’t think he leaves PC.

But this might be the worst-handled coaching carousel situation I can remember.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't know if he was playing you PC fans so much as thought that a job like Providence was his ceiling, when it turns out it wasn't (aided by the fact that a historic program like Georgetown is way, way down).
I’m trying to think of similar situations and Mick Cronin is the only one that comes to mind. I understand any coach going up the ladder, but this is, at most, a rung. To leave your hometown and supposed dream job for that? Plus it’s a conference rival. If he was going to Michigan State to replace Izzo I don’t think Friar fans would be as upset. Cronin to UCLA was understandable. That was a lot of rungs up the ladder.

Reaction Score
Kind of a ridiculous take to draw a parallel between say an accounting manager taking a new gig at PWC and a college basketball head coach.

Sure it's his right, but when you spend a decade saying it's your dream job, how can you reasonably expect a college sports fan base to not be "butthurt" when so much time, money, and emotion is spent over these teams.

Also to lay blame on the players is kind of ridiculous as well, a grown man making $4M a year sold himself, his program and his vision to them and is bailing and you expect 18-21 years olds to act like professionals and not let it affect their play or concentration?
Couldn’t disagree more. I want every younger partner at my law firm to tell everyone he works with this is his dream job and they should be lucky to be contributing here. It’s his or her job to sell that. But do I expect them to turn down a job offer to go somewhere else that at the end of the day is better for them and their family? Of course not

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The new Big12 commissioner is VERY HIGH on basketball so I’m thinking adding basketball only schools as a “division” to the conference is a possibility. Of course at the least we might be able to be guaranteed a few football games yearly. New TV deal is in the works. Just thinking outside the box. Imagine a UConn vs Kansas game on prime time :)
We can see that next weekend. Big 12 isn’t adding Gonzaga or any basketball only teams. It’s just a feint aimed at the Pac schools they want. They just signed a new TV deal already and are adding a pretty solid Houston program. Losing UT sure, but OU hasn’t done much since the Tisdale teams.

Reaction Score

The answer to your second paragraph is that anyone who takes what a coach says at face value gets exactly what they deserve.

As for the third paragraph, no, I understand that the players may not to be able to handle it without letting up, but why is that the coach’s issue? That means they can’t ever leave for a better job. And, in today’s game, it’s not like every player sitting isn’t considering entering the portal for playing time and every player playing is asking if they can finish their career playing for a bigger time program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis

Top Bottom