Ed Cooley to Georgetown | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ed Cooley to Georgetown

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I feel bad for our cute little brother wannabe something fans. I really do. Thought Cooley had something going on there where he was safe for life. Kinda like HCRE was here back in 2010, he was doing enough for their fan base

Lots of good coaches out there, hope PC lands a good one. I don't want them to suck, I just want to be better, it's tradition

pj

Reaction Score
Hard to see why Cooley would go to Georgetown, seemingly a lateral move, unless Georgetown is offering a better NIL situation. Which they very well may, they are certainly richer and have a bigger donor base than PC.

If Cooley can recruit better with NIL support, you have to think he can bring Georgetown into the top tier of the Big East. Would be fun.

Reaction Score
Slimeball.

Providence should invest in some young mid-major guy with a high ceiling. Not a washed up, recycled coach like Brey.
One coaching pundit’s take:

Kim English definitely fits that mold. Has recruited well at George Mason and they had a solid 20-13 season in his second year at the helm.

Reaction Score
Translation: Not only is he going to Georgetown, but he’s also going to be taking some of his players.
That won't be too awkward when Georgetown plays PC next year.....

Reaction Score

I gotta think there’s at least a chance he gets cold feet leaving his hometown…..people bring up the Edsall reference but it not being where he was actually from and the fact that he didn’t have to play there every year have got to give Cooley at least a minute to pause on it. Going from the hometown hero to most hated is a lot to think about

Reaction Score
Cooley will do great in the portal and on the recruiting trail, but I don’t think it will be a lot of current PC players.

Hopkins, Carter, and CFJ would have to sit a year because they’ve already transferred once.

Locke and Moore have played 5 years, they’re gone. Bynum has played 4 and has already transferred once (but that was for the 19-20 season so I don’t think he’d have to sit?)

His pool of available players from PC are the guys that he didn’t play when he was coaching PC

Reaction Score

Check out this Cooley interview with Clark Kellogg about his child hood in Providence and shows the land he grew up at and his adopted parents. It can’t be easy to just walk away from your hometown.

With that being said, Providence should give the FDU coach a look. He has won at every level.

Reaction Score
Hardship waiver, because their coach left the program.
Thanks, didn’t know that. Guess I don’t know how the transfer rules work lol

In that case, a Spears/Carter/Murray/Hopkins/transfer lineup is scary lol

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I gotta think there’s at least a chance he gets cold feet leaving his hometown…..people bring up the Edsall reference but it not being where he was actually from and the fact that he didn’t have to play there every year have got to give Cooley at least a minute to pause on it. Going from the hometown hero to most hated is a lot to think about
Or he is still putting pressure to get PC to fix its NIL situation!

If he stays @nelsonmuntz will explode! If he goes PC fans and @Scot-e will explode. Either way very entertaining.

This is the way!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

I’m pretty sure you can’t use that option if you follow your coach

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Providence should give the Kennesaw State coach consideration.
I remember when Barnes left PC for Clemson. He claimed he preferred living in the south to Rhode Island. Abdur-Rahim appears to be a very good coach but as he's from Georgia he may not enjoy what RI has to offer. Sadly for PC, they have a line of coaches who got up and left once they showed a little success (Pitino, Gillen and now Cooley) so perhaps it is the location.

I think they should look for someone who is from the area. He may be more willing to stick around.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Cooley will do great in the portal and on the recruiting trail, but I don’t think it will be a lot of current PC players.

Hopkins, Carter, and CFJ would have to sit a year because they’ve already transferred once.

Locke and Moore have played 5 years, they’re gone. Bynum has played 4 and has already transferred once (but that was for the 19-20 season so I don’t think he’d have to sit?)

His pool of available players from PC are the guys that he didn’t play when he was coaching PC
Say hello to waivers.

Reaction Score
Cooley has been lauded as this great coach but I don’t see it. His high water mark was last year winning 2 tourney games but going down to Kansas. Before that it’s pretty pedestrian and look at this year, his team got worse as the season went on. They beat us in the first game with a bullying back down style layups and getting the refs to give them an insane number of foul shots. Unimaginative offense but it’s all they can do. GT can have him, he will probably be better than Patrick but would we want him? Hell no.
They are hiring a guy who himself said “I should be fired” at Louisville. Does St. John’s care? Nope. Pitino gets to play his home campus games in a high school gym. He’ll recruit, he always does, and they’ll be competitive until his next scandal which btw is just around the corner.

Last edited by a moderator:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

They are amorphous, but change of coach has been used successfully in the past.

Reaction Score
But it’s possible Providence just sucks and Cooley can’t fix Georgetown.
It almost doesn't matter what happens on the court at both schools. There is enough animosity now between Cooley and UConn fans and Cooley and PC fans that makes it intriguing. Obviously the better Georgetown gets the better the game gets but the more villains in the Big East the better.

Cooley now joins Miller & Pitino as conference villains after his comments about UConn fans this season & leaving PC. This is going to be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom