Easy way to improve offense | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Easy way to improve offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Also, he had at least 5 of those out of control, drive into traffic, throw up an off balance leaner with zero chance of going. Those might as well be TOs.

He is the best all around player, but they have to find an efficient offensive combination, in AAC games they are well below 40% FG%.

Maybe sit Gibbs and start JA, RP, DH, SM, PN.
The answer is not benching your best players, its finding ways to make your best players more effective when they are struggling to see their shots go down.

I am not a basketball coach so I will leave that job to KO, I trust he can figure out how to do it.

Reaction Score
Agree.

The answer is not benching your best players, its finding ways to make your best players more effective when they are struggling to see their shots go down.

I am not a basketball coach so I will leave that job to KO, I trust he can figure out how to do it.

Reaction Score
Finish at the rim, not just Hamilton, everyone.
A very simplistic view but I agree. Hamilton has gotten so used to the spin & lob to Brimah move that he's not finishing strong when he moves to the hoop. Continues to throw up soft floaters that aren't going in. When he sinks a few strong moves to the basket, he'll get his confidence back..

Reaction Score
A very simplistic view but I agree. Hamilton has gotten so used to the spin & lob to Brimah move that he's not finishing strong when he moves to the hoop. Continues to throw up soft floaters that aren't going in. When he sinks a few strong moves to the basket, he'll get his confidence back..

Not true Brimah is averaging 7 points a game so how many lobs are actually successful. This overblown excuse needs to be dropped for goos it's ridiculous. If nothing else he should be better without Brimah in the game so he doesn't have to decide whether the lob will be there or not but instead just get a shot, a good one.

Reaction Score
Not true Brimah is averaging 7 points a game so how many lobs are actually successful. This overblown excuse needs to be dropped for goos it's ridiculous. If nothing else he should be better without Brimah in the game so he doesn't have to decide whether the lob will be there or not but instead just get a shot, a good one.
I didn't say it was an excuse but Hamilton looks to pass in the lane way too much once he leaves his feet. And without Brimah there, his shots are way off balance. As you said, he needs to go strong to the hoop a la Purvis..

Reaction Score
I didn't say it was an excuse but Hamilton looks to pass in the lane way too much once he leaves his feet. And without Brimah there, his shots are way off balance. As you said, he needs to go strong to the hoop a la Purvis..

I get that but you do have to admit when Brimah was in there he was off balance also due to the fact he was never sure how the lob would go down if at all right? So the reality is without the lob as an option as much, he should be sure of his goal heading to the lane but somehow, as you say, he's still off balance. Need him to stop and pop, or if not there pivot look to go under or just kicked it out, make better decisions. He's had many open looks and is just short arming everything for whatever reason. Really need him to start making plays because he really is doing everything else just fine and that's a credit to him for not hanging his head.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I said before the season there was no way Hamilton could shoot under 39% this year. He's at 38%. I'm amazed. 18 for 81 is just brutal.

Reaction Score
I said before the season there was no way Hamilton could shoot under 39% this year. He's at 38%. I'm amazed. 18 for 81 is just brutal.

It's not just brutal but with a loss to Temple by 2 and a loss to Tulsa which the game was close with seconds left, it's KILLER.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It's not just brutal but with a loss to Temple by 2 and a loss to Tulsa which the game was close with seconds left, it's KILLER.

I hear you Mau BUT that Temple game can go into everybody's "I sucked tonight" box but SM
Also not sure you can pin Tulsa on his shoulders - I remember 3 starters who never seemed to have taken off their warm-ups or it seemed that way
DHam's shooting hasn't helped - no doubt about it
I cannot imagine, as a scorer, how this draught plays with his mind.
It's not just that he is missing shots - he is missing chippies and had so many go in and out.

Reaction Score
To start I say we keep bringing Rodney off the bench. The team looks drastically better with that type of energy and aggression coming off the bench. And I like what Ollie is doing starting both Jalen and Omar the last couple of games. Comparing these 3 players they aren't far off with what they bring to the table IMO, (Obviously Rodney having the highest ceiling). Have them COMPETE for the position...it will bring the best out of all of them at the end of the day.

I completely agree with MAUuconnfan that DHam needs to start confidently pulling up more for those 10-15 foot jump shots. Time and time again he gets caught imbetween wanting to either pass/lob or pull an out of control off balance spin move that has very low efficiency. Needs to start confidently squaring up and draining these a la RIP and RAY.

Finally, I know there's been a little debate on fast break transition points on this thread, and I think this team is built for just that. If you take Jalen, Rodney, Hamilton, and at times Gibbs we have some deadly weapons in the open court. Early to mid season we weren't nearly getting enough fast break points, but as of recently I've seen a difference getting out in the open court more consistently, and it's paying off. Our half court offense falls in scoreless ruts at times, this is when we need to get ahead of the defense off the rebound, create those 3v2's, and draw fouls.

Reaction Score
Purvis leads the team in +/- per game at 15.6 and can't create for himself off the dribble very often. He should play with the starting PG.

Brimah is second in +/- per game at 12.4, and first on the team on a per minute basis. While he's an impact defender, his offense is sorely missed. 7 points per game isn't much, but he's shooting 72% and has a 131 ORtg. The guy is crazy efficient and we are an incredibly inefficient team. He also bails Hamilton out of at least one turnover per game, and was rebounding at a much improved clip this year. Our offense will be improved by his return.

Reaction Score
Purvis leads the team in +/- per game at 15.6 and can't create for himself off the dribble very often. He should play with the starting PG.

Brimah is second in +/- per game at 12.4, and first on the team on a per minute basis. While he's an impact defender, his offense is sorely missed. 7 points per game isn't much, but he's shooting 72% and has a 131 ORtg. The guy is crazy efficient and we are an incredibly inefficient team. He also bails Hamilton out of at least one turnover per game, and was rebounding at a much improved clip this year. Our offense will be improved by his return.

Sorry you guys can talk all you want about DHam's inability to make shots because of the lob and this guys shooting % but offensively impacting our tram he won't. You can't throw the ball to the guy and he does not rebound offensively so at 7 points a game where are you getting this? He will help us protect the rim and catch a lob or 2 a game, that's it. HIs best offensive outputs are vs weaker teams and we're through with them. Even the USF's and UCF's have bigs who will be physical. If we're looking for him to make the offense better we're in huge trouble. If we're looking for him to help the defense that's another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom