Easy way to improve offense | The Boneyard

Easy way to improve offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's the numbers which will improve the offense immediately.

18 for 81

Since first Tulane game. Yes, really all we need is for Daniel Hamiton to get his confidence back and begin to make shots at a pace a scorer like he should. I mean let's think about this, even if he shot 40% over this period we're looking at 28 more points at 32 for 81, that's at least one more win maybe 2. As close as his looks can be there's no question the kid can be at the 40-50% range and no doubt should be. I get the slump it happens but 22% for this kid is all pointing to his head. How do the coaches now get him back on track? Do they take the ball out of his hands a bit more and post him up vs his defender? Or do they stick him at the high post tell him to catch and face rather than taking that spin move at all times and not knowing for sure where he is or even if he is in balance? yesterday 2 shots were him basically falling off his set mark and making himself smaller when shooting finally. He needs to set, pump fake if necessary and then shoot it with confidence no more "throws" which seem to be the majority. You can see the times he's open from 10 he wpn't take it instead wants to get closer or create.

Time to be the guy we know Daniel, need you in the flow and we win games and everyone around you is better. I know Rodney also is a bit off for a couple games, but he is the key for us to be better offensively in so many ways. Hear's hoping it starts vs Cincy, what better time?

Reaction Score
I was saying something similar following the game. I think our guys are starting to click and get it together. We've seen it on the defensive end. The offense will come. I think it does hinge on Daniel. If he can start to play like a first team all AAC player/almost CPOY type level I think that's when we really can start talking national championship contender. Eapecially with the crazy parity that exists this season.

EDIT: yes, I am saying Daniel is not first team all AAC right now. I think he will be by the end of the season.

pj

Reaction Score
Not worried about DHam. He's raised his defense dramatically in this time and it's fine to focus energy on the thing you are trying to improve, even if it means other parts of the game decline a bit. We need his defense, rebounding, and passing more than we need his scoring.

When Amida is back that may open some shots for him. When defense becomes more natural for him, he'll get his shot back.

I think keys to the offense are (a) developing Jalen Adams, and (b) chemistry among Gibbs/Purvis/Miller/DHam/Brimah.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Finish at the rim, not just Hamilton, everyone.
If just Purvis could finish at the rim we would get a extra 6 - 8 points a game.

Reaction Score
I have an easier way to improve the offense. Uptempo every game. Get some easy transition baskets.

people always say this like you can just wave a wand and it happens. if it were easy or made sense everyone would do it. this team isnt built for transition unless its hamilton grabbing the rebound and going. we have average athleticism and bad rim finishers--have to play to your personnel. uptempo every game means more possessions and more endurance. doesnt seem like a good strategy for a team without a ton of depth. bigs get in foul trouble faster, have to rely on the bench more. plus imo this teams halfcourt defense would take a big hit when fatigued

Reaction Score
The fastest way would be to get DHam off the floor. Adams 1, Gibbs 2, RP 3, Miller, 4 and Phil 5. Then spell Omar for RP at times and Facey for Miller, Phil.

I would like to see this rather than D Ham getting the ball on the perimeter, doing some behind the back of out of control spin move and forced leaner that rarely goes.

people always say this like you can just wave a wand and it happens. if it were easy or made sense everyone would do it. this team isnt built for transition unless its hamilton grabbing the rebound and going. we have average athleticism and bad rim finishers--have to play to your personnel

Reaction Score
The best way to improve the offense is to run it through SM as much as possible. Good things happen when we do. I loved how we used him in the Memphis game and need to continue to do that. He doesn't have to score all the time as long as he can be a threat inside and kick it back out to our guards when he is covered. Pretty simple if you ask me.

Reaction Score
people always say this like you can just wave a wand and it happens. if it were easy or made sense everyone would do it. this team isnt built for transition unless its hamilton grabbing the rebound and going. we have average athleticism and bad rim finishers--have to play to your personnel. uptempo every game means more possessions and more endurance. doesnt seem like a good strategy for a team without a ton of depth. bigs get in foul trouble faster, have to rely on the bench more. plus imo this teams halfcourt defense would take a big hit when fatigued

This team is much deeper than most of UConn's opponents. Jalen, Rodney, DHam, Omar, and Brimah all run the floor very well. Some fastbreak points would prevent going 7 minutes or more without a basket. I am not saying that its easy to run all the time, but I guarantee that trying to get the games into the 70's would eliminate the prolonged droughts. Also, more touches for Miller would benefit the offense IMO.

Reaction Score
If it was easy the staff would fix it. In the last few games we have had miller up high. It's ok as long as he flashes down after he gives up the ball and everyone is moving. There is just too much standing around too much of the time. I know Calhoun did not score yesterday but a few times he was able to penetrate, which we need to do more often.

EDIT: I wanted to add that I believe a large part of the problem is poor shot selection.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I don't really agree. Plenty of guys are good in transition on this team. Miller, Hamilton Purvis, Jalen can all get up the court. Got a few guys who can hit the outlet (Jalen,Hamilton). Finishing in transition is way different than finishing at the rim in the half court.

They might not be a great transition team, but their ceiling is def higher than what they are showing right now.

Reaction Score
Here's the numbers which will improve the offense immediately.

18 for 81

Since first Tulane game. Yes, really all we need is for Daniel Hamiton to get his confidence back and begin to make shots at a pace a scorer like he should. I mean let's think about this, even if he shot 40% over this period we're looking at 28 more points at 32 for 81, that's at least one more win maybe 2. As close as his looks can be there's no question the kid can be at the 40-50% range and no doubt should be. I get the slump it happens but 22% for this kid is all pointing to his head. How do the coaches now get him back on track? Do they take the ball out of his hands a bit more and post him up vs his defender? Or do they stick him at the high post tell him to catch and face rather than taking that spin move at all times and not knowing for sure where he is or even if he is in balance? yesterday 2 shots were him basically falling off his set mark and making himself smaller when shooting finally. He needs to set, pump fake if necessary and then shoot it with confidence no more "throws" which seem to be the majority. You can see the times he's open from 10 he wpn't take it instead wants to get closer or create.

Time to be the guy we know Daniel, need you in the flow and we win games and everyone around you is better. I know Rodney also is a bit off for a couple games, but he is the key for us to be better offensively in so many ways. Hear's hoping it starts vs Cincy, what better time?

Dham's shot selection has been strange lately, I swear there were a couple times yesterday when he was wide open from 4' - 5' only to pass up the shot and kick it out for a 3 attempt. Don't know if it's just a case of him being too unselfish or just lack of confidence. Also notice that many of his misses are short, could be that he's thinking pass first and then doesn't have time to adjust when the pass isn't there. His 3 pt shooting however appears to have improved lately, hope he gets his mojo back soon.

Reaction Score
Danny Ham is too good a player to be shooting as bad as he has. Some of his woes are because his safety blanket has been out. Many times when he is in the lane I think he wants to dish that ball but without Brimah the lobs aren't there. He's mentally thinking pass but ends up having to shoot. He'll figure it out though. Last year he could hit foul shots now he might be leading the conference. This year his d was horrendous but lately it's been much better. Like @mau said he should be able to increase his shooting % and when it happens we will be real dangerous.

Reaction Score
The fastest way would be to get DHam off the floor. Adams 1, Gibbs 2, RP 3, Miller, 4 and Phil 5. Then spell Omar for RP at times and Facey for Miller, Phil.

I would like to see this rather than D Ham getting the ball on the perimeter, doing some behind the back of out of control spin move and forced leaner that rarely goes.
So you want to bench our best rebounder, free thrower shooter, team leader in assists and steals, and a guy who had 0 turnovers yesterday?

But you want to give more minuets to Adams, who can't shoot and has a 1 to 1 assist to turnover margin?

Just want to make sure I read this right.

Reaction Score
Yes. I want to see this lineup and whether JA can make RP and Gibbs more efficient. D Ham playing out of control doesn't seem to be.

He would still get 15-20 minutes, just curious if this would be a more traditional style.

Yes, RP and others would have to rebound consistently.

So you want to bench our best rebounder, free thrower shooter, team leader in assists and steals, and a guy who had 0 turnovers yesterday?

But you want to give more minuets to Adams, who can't shoot and has a 1 to 1 assist to turnover margin?

Just want to make sure I read this right.

Reaction Score
Yes. I want to see this lineup and whether JA can make RP and Gibbs more efficient. D Ham playing out of control doesn't seem to be.

He would still get 15-20 minutes, just curious if this would be a more traditional style.

Yes, RP and others would have to rebound consistently.
This experiment would result in 1 thing, a loss.

Reaction Score
In the first 5 minutes?

The bigger issue, as has been discussed, is Gibbs' inability to play a true 1. Just thinking of another combination worth trying out.

I agree, JA is an awful perimeter shooter, but he'd be pentrating and distributing.

This experiment would result in 1 thing, a loss.

Reaction Score
Its simple, yet counter intuitive. KO should force DHam to only shoot once he is inside the key. DHam fell in love with the lob. Problem is, teams caught up to it yet DHam still looks pass first. When he realizes its not there, he forces up an off balance shot, often times on his way down. Take the lob away from him in the half court for a game or two, get him more balanced, and make the defense play a bit more honest.

Reaction Score
Also, he had at least 5 of those out of control, drive into traffic, throw up an off balance leaner with zero chance of going. Those might as well be TOs.

He is the best all around player, but they have to find an efficient offensive combination, in AAC games they are well below 40% FG%.

Maybe sit Gibbs and start JA, RP, DH, SM, PN.

Ya, even despite his atrocious shooting lately, he's still their best player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom