Early Season Surprises/Notes | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Early Season Surprises/Notes

Reaction Score
Taya Corosdale, OSU starting 3/4, is out for the season. Tore her hamstring, and, scheduled for surgery. BIG loss for Oregon State.

Reaction Score
Holly probably had more good wins but also *a lot* more bad losses. She lost to Alabama like 5 or 6 times in a row and dropped games to some other bottom feeders. Texas underachieved a lot but rarely lost to sub-100 teams.

Edit: And as for "big wins," Aston beat Tennessee three years in a row and Stanford two years in a row (2015-16), in addition to the win at Baylor in 2017. She appeared to have the Texas program moving in the right direction until the wheels seemed to come off in the 2017-18 season.

There have been much worse coaches than Holly.

She didn't tank the program or anything. Just underachieved.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
There have been much worse coaches than Holly.

She didn't tank the program or anything. Just underachieved.
FROM a D1 College Coach perspective she was average. From taking over the second most storied program in WCBB history, and to have what happened the way it did, losing 2-3-4 thousand fanes per home game, dividing a passionate fan base, exposing a completely dysfunctional culture, heck yeah, I say she did tank a program. Not that I minded...:rolleyes:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
FROM a D1 College Coach perspective she was average. From taking over the second most storied program in WCBB history, and to have what happened the way it did, losing 2-3-4 thousand fanes per home game, dividing a passionate fan base, exposing a completely dysfunctional culture, heck yeah, I say she did tank a program. Not that I minded...:rolleyes:
Very good points. I am not sure that anyone could have done that much better, however. But her teams often just looked so bad doing it.

Never follow a legend. I feel for whoever follows Geno. Unless they duplicate his success, which isn't really likely. You can't even say "if they are in the family" - Holly was "in the family" for Tennessee and accomplished all the negatives you relate.

Yes, as an on-court coach, she was average or even slightly better, not terrible but not good enough that I would expect any major programs are wanting her.

Reaction Score
Way too early to tell about FSU....but we will know more by early Dec. as the girls play #6 Texas A&M on Dec. 1 and #15 Michigan State on Dec.5.

...at 5-0...The Noles have had a scoring margin of 33.4 per game...averaged 16.2 more rebounds per game than their opponents and averaged 6 blocks per game.

Freshman Center, River Baldwin, has 12 blocks and has averaged 7.4 points in her first games...three players are averaging double digits in points...Woolfolk (16), Ekhomu (15.6), and Gillespie (13.2).

Reaction Score
Way too early to tell about FSU....but we will know more by early Dec. as the girls play #6 Texas A&M on Dec. 1 and #15 Michigan State on Dec.5.

...at 5-0...The Noles have had a scoring margin of 33.4 per game...averaged 16.2 more rebounds per game than their opponents and averaged 6 blocks per game.

Freshman Center, River Baldwin, has 12 blocks and has averaged 7.4 points in her first games...three players are averaging double digits in points...Woolfolk (16), Ekhomu (15.6), and Gillespie (13.2).
I think FSU is a little overhyped. They haven’t played anyone. Have has some close quarters. I see them taking a few questionable losses.

Reaction Score
I think FSU will make the tournament...win the first round, and go out the second round.

Outside chance at the Sixteen based on 2nd round match up.

No...they haven't played anyone yet...other than maybe unranked LSU in Baton Rouge.

Yes, the Noles may lose a game or three that they shouldn't...but they are also capable of upsetting a better team.

"Overhyped" ?...haven't seen much hype...ranked at #12...and that should shake out in a couple of weeks after the Aggies and Michigan State.

I will be watching the development of River Baldwin...she is just five games into her college career.

Too bad Nicoletti (top 5 guard) is out for season with ACL...I think that she would have made some difference. FSU is beat up now...with only 9 available players....should get two back in December, if recovered from injury.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom