Early Season Surprises/Notes | The Boneyard

Early Season Surprises/Notes

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Season is still EXTREMELY young, but what has stood out to you so far? Here are some of mine:

1. Haven't watched them play, but Texas seems to be atrocious this year. Like might not even be an NCAA team or have a winning record bad. And this squad has a lineup that includes:
F: Joyner Holmes, Sr, former #2 recruit
F: Charli Collier, So, former #2 recruit
G: Lashann Higgs, R-Sr, former #7 recruit
G: Sug Sutton, Sr, former #6 recruit

They just lost by 25 points at home today to an unranked team. On the plus side, Charli Collier appears to be a lot better than she was a year ago (at least statistically). Curious to see if she sticks around after this year when the cupboard appears to be extremely bare.

2. Traditional powers simply don't look as powerful. Notre Dame has zero depth and is in for a rough year, UCONN appears to have taken a major step back from a season ago, Maryland looks quite mediocre despite having lots of talent. Stanford barely won at home against unranked Gonzaga. Tennessee isn't in the top 25.

3. Texas A&M looks like the Chennedy show once again. 69 shots in 3 games thus far with only 8 assists and 11 turnovers. I don't see them advancing past the Sweet 16 if Carter continues to be a volume shooter.

4. Aliyah Boston is the real deal for SC. 13 points, 8 boards and 5 blocks per game in 23 minutes to start the year. Massive game against Maryland where she was the difference maker. Also has just 1 turnover in 92 minutes and has 5 assists. Zia Cooke also looks like she could be a big impact player for SC, and Beale has good all around numbers despite poor shooting thus far. Solid youth combined with a veteran guard/post makes SC look quite dangerous.

5. Verdict is still out on teams like Oregon, Baylor and Mississippi State since they haven't played anyone solid yet. MSU is especially a while card since they've had such balanced minutes starting the year with an entirely new roster. Should learn more about MSU during the BC tournament. Baylor has played 3 throw away games where they've won by an average of over 70ppg and average 110ppg. They should get a better test Tuesday vs. USF. Oregon also has played cupcakes to start but their next game is on the road against Syracuse.

6. Teams I've been most impressed with so far include SC and Tennessee. Note--most impressed by does not mean who I think is the best, just who has exceeded my expectations thus far. This mostly stems from the fact that they've handily won road games against ranked foes, but Tennessee looked like a completely different team under Harper. Good ball movement offensively and players working their butts off. I was cautiously optimistic of Harper's hiring but am happy with the progress thus far. That said, I've only seen the ND game and didn't watch where they nearly lost at home to ETSU.

7. Overall I think the talent level this year is definitely lower, although the year is clearly very young. The 2018 and 2019 graduating classes arguably the two best we've had this decade so it makes sense for a drop off, but I'm excited to see a lot of young players develop and players who took a back seat last year step into more primary roles.

Add in your own thoughts!

Reaction Score
Well, I have to give some props to Gonzaga and Missouri State. These two (2) teams are for real. I won't be surprised to see them both in the sweet 16.

Reaction Score
Chennedy Carter threw temper tantrums today vs Rice’s spunky guards. Blair had to calm her down the whole 4th quarter. A&M won 62-61 on a Ciera Johnson put back. Fun game to watch.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
1. Haven't watched them play, but Texas seems to be atrocious this year. Like might not even be an NCAA team or have a winning record bad. And this squad has a lineup that includes:

I watched Texas in person today, and I saw most of the 2nd half against USF online. They're even more atrocious watching them than on paper. What I witnessed today was just beyond the pale -- I dare say, right up there with any of Holly's worst clunkers at Tennessee. If the Texas AD isn't convinced to cut Aston loose after that debacle, he either doesn't care or isn't paying attention.

Reaction Score
Most of the people who actually follow and know something about the Pac 12 believed that Arizona should have been switched with Arizona St, who definitely was ranked too high. Arizona, not Arizona St is the fourth-best team in the Pac 12. Posters have been saying that on forums all preseason.

BBnut90----Now with respect to Oregon not having played anybody---That's really funny. I know it doesn't count as a game but when you beat the National Team it certainly might serve as an effective gage of the quality of a team. Actually, until teams have certainly played more games than any team has played to date, there is no real guarantee that they, nor any of the teams they have played, are as good as predicted. .

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Most of the people who actually follow and know something about the Pac 12 believed that Arizona should have been switched with Arizona St, who definitely was ranked too high. Arizona, not Arizona St is the fourth-best team in the Pac 12. Posters have been saying that on forums all preseason.

BBnut90----Now with respect to Oregon not having played anybody---That's really funny. I know it doesn't count as a game but when you beat the National Team it certainly might serve as an effective gage of the quality of a team. Actually, until teams have certainly played more games than any team has played to date, there is no real guarantee that they, nor any of the teams they have played, are as good as predicted. .

Totally overlooked that game....thanks for pointing that out.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I think the similarity between Oregon, MSU, and Baylor is that all 3 teams' benches are taking care of the cupcakes to start the year. They might not fully employ their best players until the first big game.

Reaction Score
I watched Texas in person today, and I saw most of the 2nd half against USF online. They're even more atrocious watching them than on paper. What I witnessed today was just beyond the pale -- I dare say, right up there with any of Holly's worst clunkers at Tennessee. If the Texas AD isn't convinced to cut Aston loose after that debacle, he either doesn't care or isn't paying attention.
Holly actually won big games

Reaction Score
Kaila Charles is struggling right now. That is Maryland's primary problem. Right now they can't rebound or shoot free throws. Especially Ashley Owusu. Long season ahead for my Terps.

Reaction Score
Sheesh, Texas sounds awful. Aston had some success early and recruited extremely well, so my early read was she was an upgrade over Goestenkors. Apparently I was wrong. She has too much talent to be this bad. Even Holly could pull out an infrequent win over some good opponents. Texas has deep pockets and some history. I suspect they will make a change soon if this keeps up.

The Bulldogs have played no one and it shows in the box scores. Vic is playing the full bench, likely in an attempt to find what will be his best rotation. Bibby and Danberry are locks to be starters but beyond that there will be some competition for other spots.

Reaction Score
Season is still EXTREMELY young, but what has stood out to you so far? Here are some of mine:

They just lost by 25 points at home today to an unranked team. On the plus side, Charli Collier appears to be a lot better than she was a year ago (at least statistically). Curious to see if she sticks around after this year when the cupboard appears to be extremely bare.

2. Traditional powers simply don't look as powerful. Notre Dame has zero depth and is in for a rough year, UCONN appears to have taken a major step back from a season ago, Maryland looks quite mediocre despite having lots of talent. Stanford barely won at home against unranked Gonzaga. Tennessee isn't in the top 25.

3. Texas A&M looks like the Chennedy show once again. 69 shots in 3 games thus far with only 8 assists and 11 turnovers. I don't see them advancing past the Sweet 16 if Carter continues to be a volume shooter.

4. Aliyah Boston is the real deal for SC. 13 points, 8 boards and 5 blocks per game in 23 minutes to start the year. Massive game against Maryland where she was the difference maker. Also has just 1 turnover in 92 minutes and has 5 assists. Zia Cooke also looks like she could be a big impact player for SC, and Beale has good all around numbers despite poor shooting thus far. Solid youth combined with a veteran guard/post makes SC look quite dangerous.

5. Verdict is still out on teams like Oregon, Baylor and Mississippi State since they haven't played anyone solid yet. MSU is especially a while card since they've had such balanced minutes starting the year with an entirely new roster. Should learn more about MSU during the BC tournament. Baylor has played 3 throw away games where they've won by an average of over 70ppg and average 110ppg. They should get a better test Tuesday vs. USF. Oregon also has played cupcakes to start but their next game is on the road against Syracuse.

6. Teams I've been most impressed with so far include SC and Tennessee. Note--most impressed by does not mean who I think is the best, just who has exceeded my expectations thus far. This mostly stems from the fact that they've handily won road games against ranked foes, but Tennessee looked like a completely different team under Harper. Good ball movement offensively and players working their butts off. I was cautiously optimistic of Harper's hiring but am happy with the progress thus far. That said, I've only seen the ND game and didn't watch where they nearly lost at home to ETSU.

7. Overall I think the talent level this year is definitely lower, although the year is clearly very young. The 2018 and 2019 graduating classes arguably the two best we've had this decade so it makes sense for a drop off, but I'm excited to see a lot of young players develop and players who took a back seat last year step into more primary roles.

Add in your own thoughts!
I might take issue with your comment that Oregon hasn't played anyone yet. Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi have long and distinguished careers and team USA may once again be a gold medal Olympic team.

Reaction Score
I might take issue with your comment that Oregon hasn't played anyone yet. Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi have long and distinguished careers and team USA may once again be a gold medal Olympic team.
That game does hold weight. But.... I think top college teams defenses are way more sound and built to challenge Oregon than team USA. USA defense struggled against college top guards.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Yeah Oregon gets proven points for their exhibition win. I forgot about that game and was only looking at games that count toward a team's record.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

Just curious, you rank Arizona higher than UCLA. I think they are about even and either can switch spots.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Holly actually won big games
What big games did Holly win? She beat Notre Dame a few years ago and made a few Elite 8s. Not significantly more than what Aston achieved in her "good" period of about 3-4 years that ended two years ago.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I think the similarity between Oregon, MSU, and Baylor is that all 3 teams' benches are taking care of the cupcakes to start the year. They might not fully employ their best players until the first big game.

In Oregon's case, Satou Sabally has been with the German national team for the Duck's first 3 games this year. She will be back for the game at Syracuse. (Her line for the first game was 23, 9 [rebounds], and 6 [assists], and 33, 10, and ? for the second--against Croatia, by the way.)

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think Tamari Key has had a good start to her college career. At 6'5" a post presence that's needed. She has 13 blocks, rebounds 6.0, scoring 9.3 so far. Yes she is a freshman and has some things to work on. I think she can be a real good post player.

Reaction Score
That game does hold weight. But.... I think top college teams defenses are way more sound and built to challenge Oregon than team USA. USA defense struggled against college top guards.
Interesting point of view. I assume you're referring to a elite college defense has compared with the teams that come together for the Olympics. I think that's both interesting and well worth noting. The US Olympic team will in the first few rounds play cupcakes just like the elite college teams do. Therefore to really assess the strength of the defense one would look at the later rounds for the Olympics and the conference tournament in NCAA for the elite teams. Be interesting to see data on this. My reaction is U.S. Olympic team while they practice together far less than the elite college teams has stronger defense potential based upon experience playing the professional game. Interesting post however

Reaction Score
Dawn has another good defensive team that’s only going to get better offensively. Every game they are gelling in a different way. Leading the country in block shots is huge this early in the year for a young team.

Reaction Score
What big games did Holly win? She beat Notre Dame a few years ago and made a few Elite 8s. Not significantly more than what Aston achieved in her "good" period of about 3-4 years that ended two years ago.
Stanford. South Carolina a few times. Mississippi State. Texas. Etc. Oh n I'm not disagreeing lol I just think Holly was slightly better than Karen.

Reaction Score
Just curious, you rank Arizona higher than UCLA. I think they are about even and either can switch spots.
No that was a mistake. Did not forget about UCLA or mean to place Arizona above them. I just got my numbers mixed up. It would not be too off the wall to do so however, Arizona could well pass them. But at this time UCLA logically should be fourth. I would totally agree with your assessment as them possibly being a toss up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom