Early Season Surprises/Notes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Early Season Surprises/Notes

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Kaila Charles is struggling right now. That is Maryland's primary problem. Right now they can't rebound or shoot free throws. Especially Ashley Owusu. Long season ahead for my Terps.
I can’t believe I am going to write this but here goes: Have heart, yesterday’s game had a better starting lineup and showed more ball movement. I would still Move Owusu to the bench to take advantage of her energy when she comes in and give Mikesell a chance to get the offense going with the ball in her hands. Austin stepped out Of the doldrums and played well- I know it was only Delaware but still was nice to see. I am next scheduled to go against GW this Wed. I have faith! ;)

Reaction Score
Sheesh, Texas sounds awful. Aston had some success early and recruited extremely well, so my early read was she was an upgrade over Goestenkors. Apparently I was wrong. She has too much talent to be this bad. Even Holly could pull out an infrequent win over some good opponents. Texas has deep pockets and some history. I suspect they will make a change soon if this keeps up.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alston and Goenstenkors are an example of how coaching involves a lot of different variables and skills. Goenstenkors was a failure at Texas because she could not recruit at Texas. Alston was a successful recruiter but was not good at most of the other aspects of coaching. I believe Alston was hired because her perceived recruiting abilities were a reaction to Gail's perceived shortcomings.

Sometimes it involves being at the right place at the right time. Circumstances will often dictate either success or failure. Gail was not a bad recruiter, rather she just did not have the connection in Texas or in the Western US. An entirely different situation than she had at Duke. She should have stayed at Duke, but I suspect that that situation was transitioning and beginning to go south., which is one reason she decided to leave. Coach P stepped into a storm the consequences of which gradually led to where the program is today. I know many Duke fans would not agree, but they lack objectivity mainly because they were a part of that storm.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Dawn has another good defensive team that’s only going to get better offensively. Every game they are gelling in a different way. Leading the country in block shots is huge this early in the year for a young team.
Umm, not sure we really know that yet. Of the 4 games you have played, only 1 was against a top team-#14 by Massey- Maryland who shot 22-70 and 2-16 from 3’s. I was at that game and attribute the poor shooting to poor shooting not great defense (by either team as SC was 19-60 and 1-9).
The other games were #314 Alabama St; #213 Appalachian St and #71 Dayton. The 2 games that will tell us are Indiana and Baylor. Then you can talk about defense after those games. Also a direct comparison will be when you play at #111 Temple on Dec 7. But against cupcakes like #324 SC Update, don’t tout anything, it is unbecoming. :)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Stanford. South Carolina a few times. Mississippi State. Texas. Etc. Oh n I'm not disagreeing lol I just think Holly was slightly better than Karen.
Holly probably had more good wins but also *a lot* more bad losses. She lost to Alabama like 5 or 6 times in a row and dropped games to some other bottom feeders. Texas underachieved a lot but rarely lost to sub-100 teams.

Edit: And as for "big wins," Aston beat Tennessee three years in a row and Stanford two years in a row (2015-16), in addition to the win at Baylor in 2017. She appeared to have the Texas program moving in the right direction until the wheels seemed to come off in the 2017-18 season.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Alston and Goenstenkors are an example of how coaching involves a lot of different variables and skills. Goenstenkors was a failure at Texas because she could not recruit at Texas. Alston was a successful recruiter but was not good at most of the other aspects of coaching. I believe Alston was hired because her perceived recruiting abilities were a reaction to Gail's perceived shortcomings.

Sometimes it involves being at the right place at the right time. Circumstances will often dictate either success or failure. Gail was not a bad recruiter, rather she just did not have the connection in Texas or in the Western US. An entirely different situation than she had at Duke. She should have stayed at Duke, but I suspect that that situation was transitioning and beginning to go south., which is one reason she decided to leave. Coach P stepped into a storm the consequences of which gradually led to where the program is today. I know many Duke fans would not agree, but they lack objectivity mainly because they were a part of that storm.
I wouldve bet big money Duke stays a national power under GG. @CamrnCrz1974 has made lengthy posts on here outlining how Duke wouldve likely progressed under Gail. Likely would've landed the Ogwumikes and Diggins, plus she had a ton of talent lined up with her 2007 class that had 3 players who all have recently played in the WNBA. Not to mention Chante Black/Abby Waner among others.

I think the biggest issue for GG at Texas, besides recruiting, was she just never seemed fully invested. The passion was gone and she couldve revive the program. If her heart is in the right place I'd try to hire her over almost anyone else in WCBB right now. She doesnt have any titles to her names, but year in and year out she hung with Pat and Geno better than anyone else from 99-07.

Reaction Score
Umm, not sure we really know that yet. Of the 4 games you have played, only 1 was against a top team-#14 by Massey- Maryland who shot 22-70 and 2-16 from 3’s. I was at that game and attribute the poor shooting to poor shooting not great defense (by either team as SC was 19-60 and 1-9).
The other games were #314 Alabama St; #213 Appalachian St and #71 Dayton. The 2 games that will tell us are Indiana and Baylor. Then you can talk about defense after those games. Also a direct comparison will be when you play at #111 Temple on Dec 7. But against cupcakes like #324 SC Update, don’t tout anything, it is unbecoming. :)

Say what you will but the numbers speak for themselves. It doesn’t matter who the competition is that’s an impressive thing for a young team. Despite the bad shooting I highly doubt Indiana is as good as Maryland and Baylor is also without their best player. Playing Temple won’t tell us anything either as we’ve blown the owls out every time we’ve played them. Not sure if you addressed that since UConn just played them but they haven’t looked that good against Vandy or Cal (two bottom feeder teams in their conference). I doubt playing a different or tougher team will negate the defensive output that will be displayed. They lead the country in Blocks for a reason and I can guarantee that will be no fluke!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The wife and I saw Texas live vs USF. Texas is a bad team.

First, they are out of shape. They were holding their shorts at the end of the first half. Second, their shot selection is poor. The offense is more run and gun by the guards than anything else. Holmes and Collier are their two bigs. Not impressed with either. Their defense is not bad but the are really susceptible to back door cuts and the dribble drive.

USF is a good to very good team. They are guard oriented and they have three guards that can light it up from beyond the arc. Their best guard is recovering from surgery and hasn't played yet.

Aston will be on the hot seat a lot sooner than later.

Reaction Score
Say what you will but the numbers speak for themselves. It doesn’t matter who the competition is that’s an impressive thing for a young team. Despite the bad shooting I highly doubt Indiana is as good as Maryland and Baylor is also without their best player. Playing Temple won’t tell us anything either as we’ve blown the owls out every time we’ve played them. Not sure if you addressed that since UConn just played them but they haven’t looked that good against Vandy or Cal (two bottom feeder teams in their conference). I doubt playing a different or tougher team will negate the defensive output that will be displayed. They lead the country in Blocks for a reason and I can guarantee that will be no fluke!

You lead the nation in blocks after 3 games....When that is 10-15 then I would be using that. But right now all stats are a little all over the place since teams are playing a lot of cupcakes and most teams are still figuring out there offense. Some teams have only played 2 games. Heck Baylor is no.2 in 3pt fg percentage. Because they have only taken 20!

The better indications in the stats for defense would be opponents field goal percentage defense, scoring defense, defensive rebounds

bballnut90

Reaction Score

You can't just say MD missed shots as an excuse--SC handily beat them on the road and looked good defensively. On the roster they have Tyasha Harris who is very good defensively in the backcourt along with MHH who is an excellent shot blocker and defender at 6-2. Most important, Aliyah Boston has been fantastic thus far on both ends. She had 7 blocks against Maryland and they pretty much stopped going at her after she dominated defensively in the 2nd quarter. The other starters are two athletic freshmen who fill out the roster well. Dawn is also known for having very good defensive teams. Even though they've only played a few games, I think it's safe to conclude that SC is going to be a strong defensive team.

Reaction Score
You lead the nation in blocks after 3 games....When that is 10-15 then I would be using that. But right now all stats are a little all over the place since teams are playing a lot of cupcakes and most teams are still figuring out there offense. Some teams have only played 2 games. Heck Baylor is no.2 in 3pt fg percentage. Because they have only taken 20!

The better indications in the stats for defense would be opponents field goal percentage defense, scoring defense, defensive rebounds

It’s just a key stat that I thought I should point out for a very young team. Boston already has 20 block shots through 4 games, regardless of who it’s against that’s impressive. What’s more impressive is we have two more players who has more than 10 blocks as well.

So far they’ve held their opponents to 25% percent shooting granted it was weaker competition but that’s very good for a youthful squad.

Of course Baylor will be a different test within itself but I’m definitely liking what I’m seeing so far.

Reaction Score
It’s just a key stat that I thought I should point out for a very young team. Boston already has 20 block shots through 4 games, regardless of who it’s against that’s impressive. What’s more impressive is we have two more players who has more than 10 blocks as well.

So far they’ve held their opponents to 25% percent shooting granted it was weaker competition but that’s very good for a youthful squad.

Of course Baylor will be a different test within itself but I’m definitely liking what I’m seeing so far.

Especially because they are holding opponents to 21% ;)

Reaction Score

Might as well stand with your time. Weak opponent or not. SC is better than last year. Great defensively. Every top team has dominated their opponent. Baylor. SC. Oregon just stands out right now.

Reaction Score
Might as well stand with your time. Weak opponent or not. SC is better than last year. Great defensively. Every top team has dominated their opponent. Baylor. SC. Oregon just stands out right now.
Baylor stands out only because they are Baylor, not based on their games played thus far. Oregon and SC have actually played real opponents. I have no doubt about Baylor being a top 5 team at this point, but not based on their record in this WCBB Season.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I wouldve bet big money Duke stays a national power under GG. @CamrnCrz1974 has made lengthy posts on here outlining how Duke wouldve likely progressed under Gail. Likely would've landed the Ogwumikes and Diggins, plus she had a ton of talent lined up with her 2007 class that had 3 players who all have recently played in the WNBA. Not to mention Chante Black/Abby Waner among others.

I think the biggest issue for GG at Texas, besides recruiting, was she just never seemed fully invested. The passion was gone and she couldve revive the program. If her heart is in the right place I'd try to hire her over almost anyone else in WCBB right now. She doesnt have any titles to her names, but year in and year out she hung with Pat and Geno better than anyone else from 99-07.
Also didn’t it come out that an assistant coach(don’t remember who) of Jody Conradt who wasn’t kept by GG, went around to all the AAU coaches and talked some stuff on GG so she was pretty much blackballed recruiting in Texas?
I remember reading an article on it.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
This freshman plays for Penn. I saw her play against a local HS team last year and was amazed by her handles.
Kayla Padilla is very good. I hope when Penn comes to the New England Ivy teams some of you can see her play;
Shooting 53% and 42% from downtown and averaging 17.7ppg so far.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Also didn’t it come out that an assistant coach(don’t remember who) of Jody Conradt who wasn’t kept by GG, went around to all the AAU coaches and talked some stuff on GG so she was pretty much blackballed recruiting in Texas?
I remember reading an article on it.
I've heard something like this said about Clarissa Davis (former UT great player from the 80s and later an assistant to Conradt). If someone has a link to an article on this, I'd sure like to see it.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I've heard something like this said about Clarissa Davis (former UT great player from the 80s and later an assistant to Conradt). If someone has a link to an article on this, I'd sure like to see it.
I think I read an article, but Clarissa Davis was also an assistant for Rutgers for one year and I heard about it through someone Rutgers team connected, I don't remember who. I rarely heard things, but when I did they were good as gold. So yes, it apparently happened.

Reaction Score
Baylor stands out only because they are Baylor, not based on their games played thus far. Oregon and SC have actually played real opponents. I have no doubt about Baylor being a top 5 team at this point, but not based on their record in this WCBB Season.
Actually. Oregon has not played anyone yet. If we want to be technical. Team USA win was very impressive.... But it don't count as a strength in their schedule..... Playing UConn. Louisville... Syracuse... The PAC 12 does though.... Baylor may have not played anyone. But seeing players like Queen Egbo, Nalyssa, DeGrate making impact is a good sign. Especially if Cox sitting out for any period of time.

Reaction Score
A
All I was speaking on is that people might as well stand firm with their impression of their team because there will always be someone to say they haven't played anyone or just pick out a little thing to object it

Reaction Score
Actually. Oregon has not played anyone yet. If we want to be technical. Team USA win was very impressive.... But it don't count as a strength in their schedule..... Playing UConn. Louisville... Syracuse... The PAC 12 does though.... Baylor may have not played anyone. But seeing players like Queen Egbo, Nalyssa, DeGrate making impact is a good sign. Especially if Cox sitting out for any period of time.
When UO wins vs Team USA, technicalities are irrelevant as someone previously posted. I'm not dissing Baylor. Baylor is legit, and, will likely end up undefeated (or 1 loss) when they enter the NCAA Tournament as a #1 seed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Besides Boston for South Carolina there are a couple of more freshmen bigs that are playing pretty well for their respective teams. Kennedy Brown for OSU has started all 4 games and playing pretty well. River Balwin has not started a game for FSU but she playing to her strength close to the basket and shooting over 80%.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Besides Boston for South Carolina there are a couple of more freshmen bigs that are playing pretty well for their respective teams. Kennedy Brown for OSU has started all 4 games and playing pretty well. River Balwin has not started a game for FSU but she playing to her strength close to the basket and shooting over 80%.

Taylor Jones at OSU is also starting and averaging 16/7 for OSU. Had 24/9 vs. DePaul.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Taylor Jones at OSU is also starting and averaging 16/7 for OSU. Had 24/9 vs. DePaul.

Was shooting 61% from the field heading into today's game. She went 8-12 so that number will go up a bit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom