Durham transferring | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Durham transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Get ready for scrubs.

We've lost three top-40 type players in a week. We will replace them with exactly zero top-40 players.

That bill will come due in a big way over the next two seasons.

Yea we are screwed. Don't disagree with that. Enoch was ranked #82 and Jackson #78 per banned recruiting ranking site composite. We are going to feel it even more in '18 when Larrier and JA are gone and Vance should have emerged as a 14 ppg scorer with MAL starting alongside AG.

Reaction Score
Get ready for scrubs.

We've lost three top-40 type players in a week. We will replace them with exactly zero top-40 players.

Not sure what's more disturbing, that these players are leaving or that 2 of them showed absolutely nothing in their time at UConn. We don't have a single frontcourt player returning who has played a single minute of college basketball and we have a total of two returning healthy players. Ollie better pull a miracle this spring signing period or his days look to be numbered.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not sure what's more disturbing, that these players are leaving or that 2 of them showed absolutely nothing in their time at UConn. We don't have a single frontcourt player returning who has played a single minute of college basketball and we have a total of two returning healthy players. Ollie better pull a miracle this spring signing period or his days look to be numbered.

Cobb has played a few at at SC. Your point stands tho

Reaction Score
Durham specific- Bit of a d-ck move bailing after program stayed with him through multiple ACL's. On the other hand que sera, sera. He's gone, don't wish him ill will. I don't think he makes a penny playing basketball for a career.

Program in general with regards to transfers- Individually or as a group, good riddance. Several times throughout the season I mentioned the players on court play and body language demonstrated being comfortable with losing. They played more like an AAU team than players with UConn on their chest. I'm fine starting from scratch. (Insert baby with bathwater analogy.)
I mean, if this many people are abandoning the program, maybe it's fair to question if there's a reason.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You don't think these transfers/MAL won't have an impact for the few seasons?

Don't answer. I don't care.

Reaction Score
Get ready for scrubs.

Enoch, Vance and Durham weren't top 40 anything and all soft. MAL yes and he's the only real loss in my opinion. But there are better and tougher players out there right now than those 3. I'm hoping we add 3 players that can ball and save 2 scholarships for the 18' class. We have a good enough core of guards to surprise next year.

Reaction Score
If Ollie doesn't kill it in the spring signing period, there's about zero chance of turning this around any time soon. This might be make or break for him unless the 2018 class comes together in a big way. I wonder if Chillious knew what he was coming into. He's got his work cut out for himself.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

This is what I wrote and this is what you somehow misinterpreted because you seem to have some sort of bug up your ass.

"Get ready for scrubs.

That bill will come due in a big way over the next two seasons."

Why you determined that only pertained to Juwan leaving is not my problem. I would think the words "three top-40 type players" would have tipped you off that I was referring to three players, but so be it. I can only write what I write and hope it's enough - I can't drive to your house and explain it to you.

Reaction Score
Guarantee he did. He's a friend of KO and I'm sure they had a lot of this planned out. It's not like this all dropped on KO's head this week.
That's indeed the best hope that we have: KO knew what was coming, either because he knew they were leaving and a big recruiter could help stem the bleeding, or because they have faith Chillious was going to bring in some strong players and this chased off who we had.

I doubt its the better option, but the worst case scenario is the this blindsided KO.

Reaction Score
That's indeed the best hope that we have: KO knew what was coming, either because he knew they were leaving and a big recruiter could help stem the bleeding, or because they have faith Chillious was going to bring in some strong players and this chased off who we had.

I doubt its the better option, but the worst case scenario is the this blindsided KO.
Basically this, worst case scenario is KO had no idea any of this was coming, hich would shock me honestly. And even in that case we've got a head start in already having Chillious here to hit the recruiting trail hard and get some talent here as soon as possible

Maybe it's the eternal optimist in me, but somehow depsite all this negativity I have hope. We're returning our best player for the first time in a few years, and KO and Chillious appear to have a plan moving forward. Can't help but think there's hope in the distance

Reaction Score
Regardless of if there's a plan in place why jump ship with all the players you worked to bring in? Guys like Vance, Enoch and Durham have played in our system and with our current players. Ollie is terribly weak at gelling new players together, regardless of talent. We now have 5 returning players, 2 of which were out the entire season. Barring all 5 scholarships getting filled (won't happen) we will have 7 new incoming players. The team will struggle early on and yet again those that defend KO to the grave will be making the excuse that it takes time for a team with all new parts to begin to mesh. Rinse, repeat, recycle. The players do not like KO and do not trust him as a coach. I have numerous sources on this - the same ones that knew Durham was gone last week. The program is not in a good state right now.

Reaction Score

There are a few possible scenarios here:

1) KO has a solution in place
a. His solution is successful and we can credit KO with knowing when to cut bait with the wrong kind of player and who to bring in instead
b. His solution is unsuccessful and it becomes apparent he was grasping at straws

2) KO has no ready solution in place and has effectively lost control of this program

We should find out quickly whether it is #1 or #2. If it is #2, he should be fired next year, if not sooner.

If it is #1, determining whether it is a or b will take a little longer. If it is 1a, he may well be the long-term answer, having demonstrated tremendous leadership and growth. If it is 1b, he will be canned, but only after 3 years of further driving the program into the ground.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
This all just sets the stage for Chillious to show how good a recruiter he truly is. Hopefully this board will allow the man time to unpack, be in his office a couple days, and at least eat one Peppes pizza before he reviews everyone's 4-5 star wish list. It'll work out.

Reaction Score
Super-underrated movie. In terms of replacements for Durham, Jackson, Enoch, UConn's going to have to set a pretty low bar. Ain't too proud to beg.
One of the funniest movies ever IMO, gets better on each viewing.

Reaction Score
Nice kid but not sorry to see him go. He answered yes sir n no sir to all my questions during the opening day of the football game. Enoch n Diarra looked very comfortable but durham was very timid. The what am i doing in ct look. Remember that I said the upperclassmen were not happy with the work ethic of some freshmans. How do u have a body like that and refuse to life weights. Building your upper n lower body strength will not only make u a better player but it prevents injuries. The lost of enoch, jackson and durham will not be hard to replace at all. They r not uconn caliber players, yes that include jackson. Our defense will be much better now. Don't sleep on Cobb, he average 10 rbg when he became a starter in the 2nd half of the yr. We all know rebounding translates in all levels. Now I am pretty sure that ollie plans on a 3 guard offense. I do want to bring back terrence samuel. He is the guard that can give us a good 10 back up minutes a game n more importantly guard the 3.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Dude, the team returns 4 players who have played a minute of Division 1 college basketball.

Adams, Vital and then the 3 games we saw from Larrier and Gilbert.

That's not dysfunctional? Are you kidding me?

There isn't room for someone to be the big fish next year. That's the best line.

Uh....

Reaction Score
Chillious just got here and to expect miracles from him right away is too optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom