Dunn leaving to become Jets TE coach | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Dunn leaving to become Jets TE coach

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Not sure you can characterize someone leaving for a better opportunity as dysfunction. Like I said before, even the normal things that happen to this program will be deemed as dysfunction and ineptitude. Heck half of Saban’s staff left this year. Reports are that they found out one left because he didn’t show up to the morning meeting.
Coaches come and go.

Yes well Saban is Saban so.... :)

Reaction Score
Please show me the Coordinator in the conference, or any other, that turns down a call for the League....

This is bad for us, but not a sign of anything other than coaches want to coach in League.

Fair statement, but Dunn was already in the league for most of his previous career before stopping in Storrs. I would say that this is more of a Randy thing than Dunn wanting a spot in the league.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
If you are a Corn Husker basketball fan and a UConn football fan.... you're not doing it right.
guilty as charged

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
That's BS. Everybody on the Yard loved the hire at the time. Except a few of us that were immediately branded as "haters."
weird I never met any UConn fan/alumni that "loved" this hire..

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Have you ever met any who wanted another Red Pants season? I haven't.

Reaction Score
I'm holding judgement on Frank Giufre until he a least coaches a few games. I know nothing about him. Just because he is a relatively unknown position coach it doesn't mean he is not cut out to be a successful OC. Pretty much every successful head coach started as a position coach somewhere.

Reaction Score
HCRE complains about players transferring but this is one of the reason players do. Players are sold on idea of an offensive scheme from a coach and his coordinator and the coordinator switches teams shortly after signing day. There should be deadline for coaches to move and it should be before players sign their NLI. I'm all for advancing in one's career but the timing is terrible.

Reaction Score
Fair statement, but Dunn was already in the league for most of his previous career before stopping in Storrs. I would say that this is more of a Randy thing than Dunn wanting a spot in the league.
If a guy doesn't like the rigors of recruiting and just wants to be a x and o guy then the NFL is highly preferred. The traveling and sales to 16 and 17 year olds can get old very quickly. I totally get the fact that Dunn sees himself as an NFL coach and not a college coach.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I see why Dunn had to go. His friend is the OC for the Jets and he gets to work less hours as a position coach with the same pay. My spin- he is getting paid the same money in the NFL as he was in college. Knowing Randy took money out of his own pocket and wanted him to take over made this slam dunk decision not an easy decision.

My concern is hopefully due to timing- promoting 2 grad assistants at once is scary more for recruiting than anything else. I would almost rather see Randy poach Fordham for old assistant coaches than promoting a grad assistant twice.

The fact that we're promoting GAs left and right says two things to me. First, and we already know this, is that we're dead broke. A graduate assistant is just happy to have a job--full stop. You can pay them anything. Second, coaches with little experience and power are the best choices for coaches who are autocratic. Surround yourself with folks who rely heavily on you and won't question you rather than guys with some experience who won't put up with the BS.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Glad I slept in this morning... let’s just start the day off w/ some annisette in the coffee!
Same color. No one will know. Honest.

1549646048098.png

Reaction Score
The fact that we're promoting GAs left and right says two things to me. First, and we already know this, is that we're dead broke. A graduate assistant is just happy to have a job--full stop. You can pay them anything. Second, coaches with little experience and power are the best choices for coaches who are autocratic. Surround yourself with folks who rely heavily on you and won't question you rather than guys with some experience who won't put up with the BS.
Nick Saban started as a GA.

Reaction Score
You're not wrong. An NFL TE coach certainly has cache that UConn offensive coordinator just doesn't.

I know opportunities come up and don't usually align perfectly with anyone's timeline, but the circumstances/timing around this stink.

I think I can understand what Dunn did, but also be kind of pissed at him at the same time.
Hey man. I’m all for continuity. He did a great job with limited pieces last year. Would have loved to see what he could do with an upgrade in speed and skill guys.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
True but if that happened here the world would have ended.

Well - just hard when someone given the keys to deploy his own offense and the HC in waiting title walks off to a position coach job.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You would have virtually met a great deal of folks who loved the hire if you were on the board a couple of years ago.

Reaction Score
At all colleges, Quality Control and analyst positions are basically coaches in waiting. All schools hire analysts or quality control coaches now and can be former head coaches. (Butch Jones at Alabama for example.)

What complicated going with an outside hire is that it would have taken 2 to 3 weeks to hire a new OC from the outside and spring practice starts on Tuesday.

Moyseenko was Offensive Quality Control last year and here is his background:

2018: UConn Offensive Quality Control
2014 to 2017: Towson WR coach
2013: Towson Offensive Qualiity Control
2012: Sheperd University WR coach
2011: QB Coach Good Council HS
2008-2010: Offensive Coordinator Baltimore Mariners American Indoor Football Association
2005-2006: Student assistant Maryland
2003 -2004: QB Maryland

He seems qualified to be a QB coach.

Reaction Score
Well - just hard when someone given the keys to deploy his own offense and the HC in waiting title walks off to a position coach job.
He was not head coach in waiting. Could he have been the head coach down the road? Sure, but he would have had to perform over the next few years.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
He was not head coach in waiting. Could he have been the head coach down the road? Sure, but he would have had to perform over the next few years.

Have to perform? That goes w/o saying.

Not HC in waiting? Read the link below carefully. This is a very small media market. The notion to plant the idea of Dunn having the inside track for the next HC position at UConn was certainly by Edsall.

Mike Anthony: UConn football OC John Dunn is getting a raise with his promotion and it’s coming out of Randy Edsall’s pocket. - Hartford Courant

Reaction Score
Not sure you can characterize someone leaving for a better opportunity as dysfunction. Like I said before, even the normal things that happen to this program will be deemed as dysfunction and ineptitude. Heck half of Saban’s staff left this year. Reports are that they found out one left because he didn’t show up to the morning meeting.
Coaches come and go.
Its the broader context. The individual case is symptomatic of the larger issue...no stability, no commitment and aimlessness.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom