Duke Post Game Shred | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Duke Post Game Shred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I left at halftime today. I never leave early but today I did. Knew we didn't have the O to come back and moreso it's just too depressing to be back to this after last year feeling like we finally were climbing out of the abyss. (Plus that dang wind on the press box side never stops.)

Maybe UConn football can't be saved. Maybe all the wrong moves and near misses in CR are too much to overcome. I really hope I'm wrong.

Even with that, I'll be back next week for Utah St.

Reaction Score
Ehh I think mora knows we were very outmatched. The bigger concern is the last 2 games
He's had 2 portal cycles and maybe brought in 3-4 actual contributors.

I can see multiple immediate changes he could make, but he keeps trotting out the same personnel.

Start Turner
Find a new PR
Bench Walker for Fortin
Put Hunter Clark in the RB rotation
Bench his WR transfers who are leading the nation in dropped passes
Try anybody new on defense not named Jackson Mitchell
Start Ruelas over McFadden*

*Edit

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This thread is legitimately becoming unhinged.

Nobody complains about the talent level more than I, particularly at QB and Charlton at 400K per season should be remedied immediately. If I'm Mora Charlton is gone Monday based on general principal. It's clear he doesn't have the ability to coach up from FCS at even a rudimentary level.

Also understand-Duke pays its head coach 3.5 million per year. That makes a difference. We cannot and never will approach that budget, you ask me. Doesn't mean I don't want us to....I just cannot see the State signing off on something like that unless something magical happens to make football as ingrained in the State's culture as the BB programs.

It's also a cold hard fact that two of the teams we've played this season are VASTLY more talented than us and the other two, depending on which team talent composite ranking you subscribe to, are also some degree better. Mora is NOT the problem he's doing the best he can with the raw material he has; who knows where the 6 wins came from last year, maybe it was lightning in a bottle. Regardless, he needs more than two seasons to right this ship or get it as right as it's going to get. Cut the man some slack, he was clearly shook after the game today.

(side note-'F Charlotsville' should become the rallying cry for all of UCONN athletics, just because.)

I think what we need to do is schedule smarter. No more power 5 games unless and until we can get comfortable that we're recruiting at an even 70% level. It's a needless exercise in humiliation for these kids that does not need to happen, and it probably takes weeks to recover psychologically from that sort of beating. Let's keep the games at a G5 level-no reason we can't assemble a combo platter of Sun Belt, AAC, MAC, MWC and CUSA teams without resorting to putting Duke, Tennessee, Michigan, NC State etc on the schedule. Let's stop being stupid even if it costs us $ in the bargain.

Reaction Score
It’s a dumpster fire no different from diaco or Edsall years it’s that dire and talent that lacking. A total embarrassment and there will be handfuls of people at games going forward.
The exodus from the rent might have had something to do with the weather........nah, it wasn't the weather, it was the product on the field that sent the fans for the parking lot.

Reaction Score
Maybe a successful high school coach in Texas who wants to start at the ground level, or below?

The salary should be higher here.
Why would a Texas high school coach even consider that offer?
1. Connecticut couldn't pay him enough.
2. Texas coach probably has better talent.
3. The Texas high school probably has better facilities.

Reaction Score
Well, the "old guy" doesn't know what to say or think. It so appeared that the program was going to turn this year into a competitive season. One of the many lessons one learns from being either a player or coach in sports, is to never give up. I did not see the game today, but it appears from reading the post on the boneyard, that the team did that. My guess is there is an underlying problem going on that is affecting the team. It may be chemistry, it may be coaching philosophy, or any number of other things. Just doesn't sound like there is "fire in the belly". I can understand losing to NCST and Duke, but not being competitive in the other two games doesn't add up. Perhaps, as some have said, UConn just can't compete at this level in football. The big $ graduates from UConn do not step up for UConn football, and so there is really no pressure on the administration to elevate the program. As I near the end of the conveyor belt, I feel badly for those of you who are younger and "Bleed Blue". Who knows, perhaps something magical will happen and things will turn around. Thanks for all your posts, and be safe. GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
How do I get a job as a coach at UConn football? I can do what they do and just take plays from madden. Lose by 40 points and collect a pay check. Then do my normal job during the week.
I'll do it for for half the pay and make half the mistakes...

Reaction Score
He's had 2 portal cycles and maybe brought in 3-4 actual contributors.
Not true. Look at last year's adds:

Jake Guidone - C
Marquez Bembry - LB
Brandon Bouyer-Randle - LB
Jelani Stafford - DL
Sokoya McDuffie - DL
Chris Shearin - DB
Tommy Zozus - LS
George Caratan - P

The problem I noticed last year is that we were bringing in decent defensive talent, but not offensive talent. Where were the impact portal WRs and TEs last year? The only impact player on O was Guidone.

This year, it's too early to tell how the portal kids will play out, but I would say that the defensive adds seem better than the offensive adds.

My biggest disappointment with the portal is QB and WR. We have grabbed 2 portal QBs and neither seem to be the answer. Seems to be an evaluation issue. And, we should have been able to grab a talented backup WR from a top P5 program, but no luck.

Reaction Score
Not true. Look at last year's adds:

Jake Guidone - C
Marquez Bembry - LB
Brandon Bouyer-Randle - LB
Jelani Stafford - DL
Sokoya McDuffie - DL
Chris Shearin - DB
Tommy Zozus - LS
George Caratan - P

The problem I noticed last year is that we were bringing in decent defensive talent, but not offensive talent. Where were the impact portal WRs and TEs last year? The only impact player on O was Guidone.

This year, it's too early to tell how the portal kids will play out, but I would say that the defensive adds seem better than the offensive adds.

My biggest disappointment with the portal is QB and WR. We have grabbed 2 portal QBs and neither seem to be the answer. Seems to be an evaluation issue. And, we should have been able to grab a talented backup WR from a top P5 program, but no luck.

Bembry had 11 tackles last year. Bouyer-Randle, yeah. Guidone, defintely. Has Shearin been getting any reps lately? I've watched every snap and don't remember seeing him the last couple games, but for last season you can add him.. McDuffie hasn't contributed much on the field except being another body to trot out. Stafford, sure but at the end of the day he's a backup who is thrusted into a bigger role (story of the entire DL, not bad players but they're all role/rotation guys). My comment wasn't untrue.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I no longer buy the chatter about not having enough talent. We have enough talent to put points on the board. If we put points on the board, we relieve the pressure we constantly put on the D.

If there is nothing that the OC can run with Roberson to make us successful, then put in Zion. Or if the problem is Charlton, then put in Marinelli.

All I heard in the preseason was that Rosa was our 3rd string RB. Well Jesus... if it wasn't for him, I don't know if we'd have any positive yardage at all this year!!!

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
University higher ups need to sit down and discuss which direction the football program should go. If they are all in on football then make a decision on the program to fire people responsible for this embarrassment we are all watching and replace them with competent people. Enough already. 10 years is way to much suffering.
Thank you! You saved me the typing time

Reaction Score
Factor in all the guys Mora has brought in that are hurting us more then helping and it's been a net negative this year. Every transfer WR, Jalen Mitchell, Fagnano, Archie has been neutral, Plack has been underwhelming and a downgrade from Swenson. The one guy who's been above average is Mumu. Then the one guy we bring in with a proven track record (Gilyard) cant even see the field and has Hansen even had a ball thrown his way?

Reaction Score
Back to not watching second halves. Sigh.

Was I the only one who thought Roberson should have yanked for not trying to recover that fumble? At least for a series or two? I was stunned by his lack of hustle.
I think Roberson is (over) protecting his knee - that’s why he didn’t dive into the pile. That being said, I don’t think he’s very accurate when throwing the ball, is not very quick when running the ball, and we should give him one more start and if he can’t get the O going, it’s Zion time. And yes, I agree with all of the comments on Charlton, even when he had his guy under center, the play calling lacks imagination. And now he seems to have a phobia to throwing downfield.

Reaction Score
Only UConn fans say this. Ive seen both Temple and Rutgers at these levels and not quit. At UConn, fans want to throw the towel in.
There are too many nay-sayers on this board who will NEVER buy into UConn football, and they’re starting to take on troll-like tendencies. When the team loses, it’s “we shouldn’t be playing football, we’re a basketball school” whining.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I no longer buy the chatter about not having enough talent. We have enough talent to put points on the board.

They don't. They obviously, clearly, don't.

The players are way below the level required. That's it. This isn't a "resources" or "spending" argument. UConn can't be Eastern Michigan? Temple? Kent State? Its a top 15 G5 coaching salary pool, right now. It is a bottom 5 team in the sport.

Maybe it isnt the money, guys!

zls44

Reaction Score
Also- turns out, when you take a guy who was a terrible QB at Penn State and put him with worse skill players, none of whom can catch, he doesn't succeed.

Frankly, I'm stunned!

Reaction Score

The players are way below the level required. That's it. This isn't a "resources" or "spending" argument. UConn can't be Eastern Michigan? Temple? Kent State?

We have 2 of the top 10 guards according to PFF in Haynes and Ofori-Nyadu, Rosa, Joly, Hansen (#11 TE 21'), Cam Ross, Houston, Senn is a solid LT. There's a solid nucleus of talent. Mora just sucks at finding the rest of the pieces. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
We have 2 of the top 10 guards according to PFF in Haynes and Ofori-Nyadu, Rosa, Joly, Hansen (#11 TE 21'), Cam Ross, Houston, Senn is a solid LT. There's a solid nucleus of talent. Mora just sucks at finding the rest of the pieces. It is what it is.
It was always going to take more than 1+ season to clean up the stench of the Edsall 2.0 era. Mora raised expectations by getting to a bowl last year on the strength of limiting mistakes and capitalizing on mistakes of other teams. Through 4 games we haven't come close to an interception. We saw the QB today show no effort to recover a fumble which was the worst part of the day and we are turning the ball over regularly. We stink. We are terrible right now, but i still believe Mora could turn it around. He's going to have find talent at the QB spot, and if you're a QB looking for a spot would you come here? The scheme is dog poop and the WRs can't catch a cold.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

The players are way below the level required. That's it. This isn't a "resources" or "spending" argument. UConn can't be Eastern Michigan? Temple? Kent State? Its a top 15 G5 coaching salary pool, right now. It is a bottom 5 team in the sport.

Maybe it isnt the money, guys!

The reason I know this is nonsense is because UMass regularly puts up points. And James Madison puts up points. And seemingly dozens of other schools with lower budgets put up points.

And WE put up points with most of the same guys last year. So it's time to adjust and put up some points...

Reaction Score
Bembry had 11 tackles last year. Bouyer-Randle, yeah. Guidone, defintely. Has Shearin been getting any reps lately? I've watched every snap and don't remember seeing him the last couple games, but for last season you can add him.. McDuffie hasn't contributed much on the field except being another body to trot out. Stafford, sure but at the end of the day he's a backup who is thrusted into a bigger role (story of the entire DL, not bad players but they're all role/rotation guys). My comment wasn't untrue.
We both agree Guidone was a great pickup. Bembry was a solid back up given we had Mitchell, Bouyer-Randle, and Swenson who had 140, 98, and 88 tackles last year and Bouyer-Randle was a portal guy. Shearin is a puzzle this year, but a big contributor last year. McDuffie and Stafford are rotational DLs, which you need so solid pickups. Generally, DTs don't make many tackles. Heck, Jalen Carter from Georgia last year had only 32 tackles. Caratan has been a very good punter. Zozus was a solid LS.

The portal is not just for stars, but for depth and that was one of UConn's biggest problems.

I'll say it again, I'm disappointed in the QB and WR pickups from the portal.

zls44

Reaction Score
The reason I know this is nonsense is because UMass regularly puts up points. And James Madison puts up points. And seemingly dozens of other schools with lower budgets put up points.

And WE put up points with most of the same guys last year. So it's time to adjust and put up some points...

That's basically what I was trying to say. You don't need a bigger salary pool for assistants to get over 24 yards in a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom