Duke Post Game Shred | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Duke Post Game Shred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, that's correct. The football program was doing just fine up until July 2020 when they left the AAC. They started sucking right then.

There are some absolutely delusional takes on this board.
UConn needs an on campus football stadium. It’s the only FBS program that I know of with many, many National Championships in other sports that plays all its games either away or at a neutral site 25 miles from campus at an abandoned airstrip. To me they have NO home games, no stadium the program can call its own. No stadium filled with thousands of screaming students or employees who could walk to the game, and of course the UConn faithful fan. That’s what you need if you want to intimidate visiting coaches and teams and maybe sometimes intimidating the referees too. That’s what you need when the band marches down the street to the game. Is it a coincidence that Geno Auriemma won his first national championship and UConn had its first NPOY 5 years after they built Gampel Pavilion? Is it a coincidence that 9 years after Gampel was built Jim Calhoun also won his first National Championship? Calhoun always said his 94 team was one of his best btw. I also ask, did recruiting in both basketball programs begin to take off right after Gampel was built?

I guarantee you, even if the BOT and the state even thought about and/or discussed the possibility of an on campus stadium, funding drives, approaching donors, etc. then recruiting would pickup almost immediately.

Reaction Score
The reason I know this is nonsense is because UMass regularly puts up points. And James Madison puts up points. And seemingly dozens of other schools with lower budgets put up points.

And WE put up points with most of the same guys last year. So it's time to adjust and put up some points...
Talent level and an incredible inability to develop playmakers.

I blame Charlton for running every damn play to the sidelines. He’s trying to isolate players and have them make a play. They aren’t good enough to do that.

Also, why are they running the zone read if the QB isn’t a running threat? They either need a QB who can sling the ball, or a QB who can run. They have neither.

They need to execute on offense. That means running crisp routes, blocking, using misdirection and possibly tempo.

They are slow and not dynamic. And, they can’t execute. It’s a really bad situation. I don’t know if Roberson is good enough because they really don’t ask him to do anything. He doesn’t run, no one is downfield. What’s the point of having a QB out there?

Reaction Score
UConn needs an on campus football stadium. It’s the only FBS program that I know of with many, many National Championships in other sports that plays all its games either away or at a neutral site 25 miles from campus at an abandoned airstrip. To me they have NO home games, no stadium the program can call its own. No stadium filled with thousands of screaming students or employees who could walk to the game, and of course the UConn faithful fan. That’s what you need if you want to intimidate visiting coaches and teams and maybe sometimes intimidating the referees too. That’s what you need when the band marches down the street to the game. Is it a coincidence that Geno Auriemma won his first national championship and UConn had its first NPOY 5 years after they built Gampel Pavilion? Is it a coincidence that 9 years after Gampel was built Jim Calhoun also won his first National Championship? Calhoun always said his 94 team was one of his best btw. I also ask, did recruiting in both basketball programs begin to take off right after Gampel was built?

I guarantee you, even if the BOT and the state even thought about and/or discussed the possibility of an on campus stadium, funding drives, approaching donors, etc. then recruiting would pickup almost immediately.
They can’t get the band to the damn game. How they gonna get an on campus stadium. That is , literally, why they have a band in the first place. To play at the football games.

The fact some band director made a call that his band couldn’t go shows a total lack of respect for the athletic department, its fans. If the band was KOd, they could have asked for all UCMB alums in the area for help. Things like that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They can’t get the band to the damn game. How they gonna get an on campus stadium. That is , literally, why they have a band in the first place. To play at the football games.
Someone said in the game chat that they (or at least a significant portion of them) were sick. Is that not accurate?

Reaction Score
Can anyone give me a legitimate reason why the state won’t drop us to FCS after a 1-11 season again?

Reaction Score
Can anyone give me a legitimate reason why the state won’t drop us to FCS after a 1-11 season again?
Potential of putting more fannies in the seats., Most of the current fanbase came on board because of the promise of playing big time college football.
Drop to a mediocre or less than mediocre FCS program(which historically UConn was) at East Hartford then they wouldn't be able to cover the cost of using the Rent. Nobody will care enough to travel any distance to watch, even less than they do now. You will be playing a CAA schedule perhaps minus Delaware and a OOC schedule which may draw some of Yale, Central and SHU. Then at what point do you stop putting big money into the facility and build a smaller stadium on campus which will still cost 100s millions of dollars. and the AD will still be having deficits in the 30MM range.

Reaction Score
Factor in all the guys Mora has brought in that are hurting us more then helping and it's been a net negative this year. Every transfer WR, Jalen Mitchell, Fagnano, Archie has been neutral, Plack has been underwhelming and a downgrade from Swenson. The one guy who's been above average is Mumu. Then the one guy we bring in with a proven track record (Gilyard) cant even see the field and has Hansen even had a ball thrown his way?
I agree with you that this year's group has been very disappointing. .I think Mumu Bin-Wahad will prove out to be a very good transfer for us. Buckman isn't a bad pick up but we are only going to get one year out of him and obviously he should NOT be returning punts. We didn't get to see enough of Alex Honig before he got hurt but I am still hopeful that he will be a a good signing.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
What is the evidence for this? We have been better on the field and have had more fan interest since going independent than in our years in the AAC
Don't even bother he's delusional.

Reaction Score

The fact some band director made a call that his band couldn’t go shows a total lack of respect for the athletic department, its fans. If the band was KOd, they could have asked for all UCMB alums in the area for help. Things like that.
There is a total lack of respect from opposing teams too, and the state of Connecticut which has allowed the Rent to deteriorate to its present state, and so called fans. How sad was it yesterday with a stadium that is supposedly UConn football’s home field almost completely empty? In reality it’s not a home field, it’s a neutral site. If you watched and were not a UConn fan it was laughable. If UConn football fails and is dropped to FCS it will eventually affect ALL ncaa sports at the University of Connecticut and the Rent will remain as a rusting monument to the mistakes made. It’s even sadder when this could happen in a state that lays between and is part of the New York metropolitan area and only a couple hours from Boston. It has never had a pro NFL franchise in football or men’s basketball in the NBA, people knew that years ago, so the experiment of “let’s make UConn our pro franchise” has failed also because of the same mistakes being made over and over.

Reaction Score
Potential of putting more fannies in the seats., Most of the current fanbase came on board because of the promise of playing big time college football.
What potential? You mean like yesterday? The stadium was empty. Calling it a home stadium is a joke. What sad is this failed experiment will reverberate through other D1 programs at UConn.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
They either need a QB who can sling the ball, or a QB who can run. They have neither.
Hasn't been great at pitching the ball either. Hand-offs are mostly okay. Frankly, I'm not sure he was ready to come back from that ACL.

Reaction Score
Almost all of the major public research universities are FBS. UConn still wants to make it to AAU whatever happens to the FB team. I for one argue we have to stay in FBS and make it work.

Reaction Score

I'm with you 10000000%..... big problem is the geniuses around the state decided to commit all that cash to a far far away place 20+ years ago, that we're still, ultimately, feeling the aftereffects from. And we continue to do so. Horrible hiring/re-hiring decisions, with zero funding to put together a legitimate coaching staff...smh... dumpster fire indeed...and, worse part now, everybody lost patience.
An on campus stadium would've probably shortened the turnaround... but, now, we gotta continue to deal with this humility part of the journey. Not fun, but, I pray, when it's over, we'll be that much better...and never look back (stay ahead of the game)
I still think it can get done...but, ultimately, it'll be in Storrs not anywhere near Hartford.....ultimately

Reaction Score

There are other FBS schools that play off campus.

We had no issues filling the rent 15 years ago when the program was competitive. Place used to be rocking for games.

Gampel was a morgue 6-7 years ago, when the men’s team wasn’t winning games. The quality of the product matters, especially for this fan base.

Reaction Score
There are other FBS schools that play off campus.

We had no issues filling the rent 15 years ago when the program was competitive. Place used to be rocking for games.

Gampel was a morgue 6-7 years ago, when the men’s team wasn’t winning games. The quality of the product matters, especially for this fan base.
When the Rent was new people flocked to the new stadium on the air strip. You’re a tailgating fan base, that’s all you care about. Students at the Rent? One percent of them come to the Rent on a good day. If the state had its pro franchise, your gas and charcoal grills would have followed that trail. Ask yourself why Edsall jumped ship when the program was competitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom