Duke or Georgia | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Duke or Georgia

Duke or Georgia

• Total voters

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Doesn't the Duke/Georgia winner present us with a WIN/WIN fulcrum? I mean if Duke wins, we get JPM vs. Geno with Z getting a change to play against her old mates. While if Georgia wins we get Lobo vs. Landers on National TV discussing the game-which I am sure Lobo will make some kind of bet proposal. I, personally want the JPM vs. Geno aspect as I think it will be great theatre, not that I think JPM will actually say anything, on contraire, I think she continues her best behavior and says all the right things, just the presser afterward with Z and Geno will be entertaining. Plus we get our colleague @triaddukefan to offer their perspective. Do we even have any Bulldog of the Georgia kind on this forum?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If Duke wins, they can forfeit their game against UConn.
They can take a slow coach to Albany from Durham and get snowed under.
I do not have the key to JPM's brain.

They don't have to throw it the game against Georgia. Georgia is the higher seed and may win it.

Ask the NCAA to make Z ineligible and have to sit out 2 years because going to UConn is like going to a Pro Team and "gosh darn it, it just is not fair" ;)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
No Preference , but believe Georgia might be the easier match up. They have less firepower.

However, first have to win tonight against Quinnipiac. Remember UMBC vs Virginia. Anything can happen, even the impossible. :)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I was planning a more in-depth write up on this later, but the RPI is inherently biased toward the SEC and ACC because they only play 16 conference games. I don't know if this was the intent behind the reduced schedules, but it works. It provides a slight boost, and with the small margins in the middle of the RPI, it can move teams up a seed line or 2. Massey has the SEC 4th, and Sagarin 5th. I believe this is an accurate assessment.
...so says the fan with a Big12 bias...Your conference has only 10 teams so you are actually boosted by having Texas and Oklahoma play tough schedules (ahem vs. your pathetic schedule).

Let's do a proper review of the teams actual seeding in the tournament shall we to see how the committee actually views their strengths
ACC has 8 teams: 2- #1's, 1-#3, 1-#4, 1-#5, 2-#8, 1-#10 so at this stage, 4 teams should be advancing but yet 5 could
SEC has 7 teams: 1-#1, 1-#2, 1-#3, 2-#4, 1-#5, 1-#6, so at this stage 5 teams should be advancing and only 4 could and possibly only 3
Big12 has 4 teams: 1-#2, 1-#2, 1-#9, 1-#12 so at this stage 2 teams should be advancing and 3 could
PAC12 has 5 teams: 1-#2, 1-#3, 1-#4, 1-#6, 2-#7 so at this stage 3 teams should be advancing and 5 could. Thumbs up!
Big10 has 5 teams: 1-#3, 1-#5, 1-#6, 1-#7, 2-#10 so at this stage 1 team should be advancing and only OSU could.

Not sure what your point is here as the ACC and SEC teams actually play other good team outside of the conference which the 16 games vs. 18 allows. I don't view the RPI being biased towards the 16 game schedule. Again, the bracket seeding is playing out in favor of the stronger conferences.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Yes... I think that last sentence and desire might be warping your thinking just a bit. Georgia playing at home makes them a bigger favorite. UCONN beating Georgia is an expected outcome, Duke beating Georgia is not.

Not necessarily. I think Duke could very well be the better team. In significant OOC games Duke beat Oregon St. by 7, OSU by 9 and lost at SC by 20. Georgia in significant OOC games lost by 28 to Texas.
In games against common opponents:
Duke beat Virginia by 7, Georgia beat Virginia by 3.
Duke lost at South Carolina by 20, Georgia lost at home to South Carolina by 12 and during the SEC tournament on a neutral floor by 22.

Not a large sample size to be sure, but it suggests they're pretty comparable. The numbers at least indicate that Duke winning could not be considered an upset.
...so says the fan with a Big12 bias...Your conference has only 10 teams so you are actually boosted by having Texas and Oklahoma play tough schedules (ahem vs. your pathetic schedule).

Let's do a proper review of the teams actual seeding in the tournament shall we to see how the committee actually views their strengths
ACC has 8 teams: 2- #1's, 1-#3, 1-#4, 1-#5, 2-#8, 1-#10 so at this stage, 4 teams should be advancing but yet 5 could
SEC has 7 teams: 1-#1, 1-#2, 1-#3, 2-#4, 1-#5, 1-#6, so at this stage 5 teams should be advancing and only 4 could and possibly only 3
Big12 has 4 teams: 1-#2, 1-#2, 1-#9, 1-#12 so at this stage 2 teams should be advancing and 3 could
PAC12 has 5 teams: 1-#2, 1-#3, 1-#4, 1-#6, 2-#7 so at this stage 3 teams should be advancing and 5 could. Thumbs up!
Big10 has 5 teams: 1-#3, 1-#5, 1-#6, 1-#7, 2-#10 so at this stage 1 team should be advancing and only OSU could.

Not sure what your point is here as the ACC and SEC teams actually play other good team outside of the conference which the 16 games vs. 18 allows. I don't view the RPI being biased towards the 16 game schedule. Again, the bracket seeding is playing out in favor of the stronger conferences.

3 SEC teams have already lost, Missouri, LSU and Tennessee leaving only 4. If Duke beats Georgia, the SEC would have only 3 advance to the sweet 16.

Reaction Score

I don't have the time to lay out all the math now, but playing 2 fewer conference games means that each ACC and SEC team averages about 1 more win per year. When your entire conference has an additional win, the 75% of RPI that is who you play gets a slight boost. I am not arguing that one conference IS better, but that some have certain advantages in the RPI before any games are played. Since the committee seems to rely heavily on RPI, especially further down the bracket, this is tremendously important. I don't know if it is intentional, but the SEC and ACC are gaming the RPI. We can see this as 3 SEC teams lost to lower seeds, with a couple more close shaves. All of these teams were overseeded according to Massey/Sagarin, but were boosted by a strong, inflated RPI.

Reaction Score
. . . I enjoy when UCONN plays new teams - or at least ones they haven't played in awhile . . .

I think Geno prefers this too. He thinks he has the edge when the other team's players
haven't seen UConn in the flesh.

toadfoot

Reaction Score
I don't have the time to lay out all the math now, but playing 2 fewer conference games means that each ACC and SEC team averages about 1 more win per year. When your entire conference has an additional win, the 75% of RPI that is who you play gets a slight boost. I am not arguing that one conference IS better, but that some have certain advantages in the RPI before any games are played. Since the committee seems to rely heavily on RPI, especially further down the bracket, this is tremendously important. I don't know if it is intentional, but the SEC and ACC are gaming the RPI. We can see this as 3 SEC teams lost to lower seeds, with a couple more close shaves. All of these teams were overseeded according to Massey/Sagarin, but were boosted by a strong, inflated RPI.

I would strongly suspect that it’s deliberate and driven by money. The more teams a conference gets in the field, the more money there is to distribute to the membership.

Reaction Score
Javaman. I have nothing against you but this kind of poles is bad for the MOJO! Because the old saying "Be Careful what you wish for"

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not necessarily. I think Duke could very well be the better team. In significant OOC games Duke beat Oregon St. by 7, OSU by 9 and lost at SC by 20. Georgia in significant OOC games lost by 28 to Texas.
In games against common opponents:
Duke beat Virginia by 7, Georgia beat Virginia by 3.
Duke lost at South Carolina by 20, Georgia lost at home to South Carolina by 12 and during the SEC tournament on a neutral floor by 22.

Not a large sample size to be sure, but it suggests they're pretty comparable. The numbers at least indicate that Duke winning could not be considered an upset.
I disagree and apparently so did the selection committee, which is why Georgia gets to play this game at home. Here is how it really work. If you are a top 16 seed you get to play your first two games at home. If you are a top 16 seed and you lose either of your first two games that is considered an upset-just ask TN.

toadfoot

Reaction Score
I disagree and apparently so did the selection committee, which is why Georgia gets to play this game at home. Here is how it really work. If you are a top 16 seed you get to play your first two games at home. If you are a top 16 seed and you lose either of your first two games that is considered an upset-just ask TN.

I know how it works and just because the committee seeds a team as #4 doesn’t mean they deserve to be a #4. The results from the tournament so far demonstrate quite clearly that the SEC teams were over seeded.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
All upsets tonight; @triaddukefan, I'll see you in Albany! To my furry friends from Storrs, I'll see you in Albany, also. 2 rows behind the USC bench on Saturday and 3 behind the scorer's table on Monday.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think you miscalculated a bit. If today goes chalk, the PAC12 will have 4 in the Sweet 16, not 3 (Oregon St. and Oregon are already in, and UCLA and Stanford are favored). The ACC only gets 5 in the S16 if Duke beats Georgia tonight (Louisville, Notre Dame, NC State, Florida State, Duke). If that happens, SEC has only 3 (Texas A&M, South Carolina, Mississippi State, and NOT Georgia). Bolded teams already punched their S16 tickets.

I really struggled there...thanks for fixing that haha.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Ooph, Georgia really hurt my argument there. I’m now a tad nervous for Ok State/Mississippi State considering Ok State gave MS St their best game of the season aside from the SEC Tournament loss.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I know how it works and just because the committee seeds a team as #4 doesn’t mean they deserve to be a #4. The results from the tournament so far demonstrate quite clearly that the SEC teams were over seeded.
Yea your seedings makes way more sense!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I realize that the discussion regarding the seedings is certainly a lively one, and based on the results, the SEC certainly underperformed, but the seedings are done based on strength of schedule and results during the regular season. I don't recall Duke fans losing their minds when they got a 5 seed and did not get to host the 1st 2 rounds (they may have - I just am not aware of it).

Bottom line, I don't have any issue with the seedings, but I think what IS clear is that the SEC and Big 10 certainly got smoked... Also, I'm LOVING the upsets and close games. SC won their first 2 games by a COMBINED 21 points. tOSU and FSU go down in flames do double digit seeded MAC teams. 11 Creighton and 12 FGCU both had great games the first round. It's made for an incredibly exciting tourney. Sure by the time we get to the elite 8, it may be all top seeds, but the 3-9 seeds had a world of trouble against the lower seeded teams thus far!

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I realize that the discussion regarding the seedings is certainly a lively one, and based on the results, the SEC certainly underperformed, but the seedings are done based on strength of schedule and results during the regular season. I don't recall Duke fans losing their minds when they got a 5 seed and did not get to host the 1st 2 rounds (they may have - I just am not aware of it).

Bottom line, I don't have any issue with the seedings, but I think what IS clear is that the SEC and Big 10 certainly got smoked... Also, I'm LOVING the upsets and close games. SC won their first 2 games by a COMBINED 21 points. tOSU and FSU go down in flames do double digit seeded MAC teams. 11 Creighton and 12 FGCU both had great games the first round. It's made for an incredibly exciting tourney. Sure by the time we get to the elite 8, it may be all top seeds, but the 3-9 seeds had a world of trouble against the lower seeded teams thus far!

Most of the 1/2 seeds really separated themselves this year from the rest of the pack. The top 7 ranked teams (SC, Notre Dame, Mississippi State, UCONN, Baylor, Louisville, and Oregon) have just 5 combined losses when you take out head to head battles and if you remove the Tennessee wins over SC when Wilson was out. I'll be surprised if any of these teams get bounced before the Elite 8.

The rest of the seeds 2-6, besides maybe UCLA and Texas, have had significant ups and downs this year. It's definitely showing in their play this tournament.

Reaction Score
SEC and ACC are top heavy leagues. Outside of their top 2 not impressive. Big 12 is somewhat underrated. Pac 12 clearly the best. Their teams are well coached on both ends.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom