Duke 28, KY 25. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Duke 28, KY 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Kentucky now ranked 10th. This win will move them very close to top five.

Reaction Score
Chelsea Gray only took 4 shots because she always trys to get the other players involved in the game. That is what a point is supposed to do. Her scoring feeds off of her team play. The real problem with Duke was that when she ( Gray) got two early fouls and had to sit the rest of the half Duke only had one other legit ball handler to break the press. Thats when Kentucky stopped Duke and made their own run to eliminated the Duke lead. This is where not having Selby really hurt. If Selby is in the game or Gray doesn't get those fouls ( looked very questionable to me) its an entirely different game. I think various posters had picked Kentucky because of Selbys absensce. Well that hurt double because of Grays early foul trouble.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

And Duke now has 2 blotches on their escutcheon.

2unycrt.jpg

I hate losing to a SEC team. We have a long way to go if we want to get the #2 Seed in Raleigh. Hopefully we can regroup in time for the ACC season.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Chelsea Gray only took 4 shots because she always trys to get the other players involved in the game. That is what a point is supposed to do. Her scoring feeds off of her team play. The real problem with Duke was that when she ( Gray) got two early fouls and had to sit the rest of the half Duke only had one other legit ball handler to break the press. Thats when Kentucky stopped Duke and made their own run to eliminated the Duke lead. This is where not having Selby really hurt. If Selby is in the game or Gray doesn't get those fouls ( looked very questionable to me) its an entirely different game. I think various posters had picked Kentucky because of Selbys absensce. Well that hurt double because of Grays early foul trouble.

So Gray plays the point and Wells is the shooting guard? I know they both start and given their respective talents I thought Wells plays the point. I was only half-watching the game and really didn't focus too much on who was doing what for Duke.

Reaction Score
KY wins going away........Duke will be in deep trouble when the UCONN defensive vice hits Cameron Indoor in Feb.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Kentucky maybe on their way to a breakout year!!! They add Gennifer Brandon (6'3 C-transfer from California) next year. Mitchell is slowing building something in Lexington!

Good win for him and the program!

Duke will be fine. Williams has an enormous amount of potential!

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Kentucky maybe on their way to a breakout year!!! They add Gennifer Brandon (6'3 C-transfer from California) next year. Mitchell is slowing building something in Lexington!

Good win for him and the program!

Duke will be fine. Williams has an enormous amount of potential!

It's DeNesha Stallworth that is the Cal transfer. Brandon still plays for Cal. ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
KY wins going away........Duke will be in deep trouble when the UCONN defensive vice hits Cameron Indoor in Feb.
Duke will be improved. they are pretty young... then again... UCONN will be improved too. heck, we start 2 sophomores, and 1 RS junior who is working her way back from an injury, and usually our first 2 off the bench are freshmen.

i like the potential for Duke, but if they looked tired against Kentucky, it will be nothing like the pressure UCONN will put on them. i can't remember the last time i saw a Duke team that didn't look offensively challenged much of the time. the game vs. UCONN could certainly be another smack down...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Kastine Evans from Norwich Free Academy (CT.) starts for Kentucky and played 31 minutes.

Tiff Hayes best friend Amber Smith played a ton of minutes but didnt do much

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
can i say it now, Duke will lose to UCONN maybe by...... 25 points this year... not as much as the prior years, just because they are home...

Reaction Score
I'm keeping Duke on the list of games we could lose along with Baylor and ND x 3. But my gut says no way we lose. We're in the Dookies' heads already--they're young but they know the history. They won't be able to handle the pressure. And we can afford to give Heather and Kiah serious minutes to wear down the one wild card threat. It's on the list but just barely.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
No way we lose to Duke. Williams-Dolson will be a good matchup, but I expect Dolson to school her a bit. It will be similar to the UNC game last year where they had a big, rowdy crowd that was silenced in the first four minutes as we scored something like 10 unanswered points. Duke doesn't have the gaurd play to keep up with UConn.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I took some flack last year when mentioning how good Bria Goss is-she was not very highly rated going into last season. The freshman guard for UK played 32 minutes and had 19 points, 3 rebounds and 2 steals with 0 TO. Not bad for a rookie. She's a hard-nosed defensive player that was probably on the best defensive high school team I have ever watched play. Her team held Bolingbrook to 28 points (Tuck had 17 in that game as a freshman) in early 2008 and went undefeated to win the "National Championship" over Skylar's undefeated, at the time, South Bend Washington team. Bria was the player that hit the shot to win the game for Ben Davis. Ice, she was a teammate of Alex Bentley.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
can i say it now, Duke will lose to UCONN maybe by...... 25 points this year... not as much as the prior years, just because they are home...

I was hoping this was the year that we could be competitive, especially being played in Durham. Im less encouraged now... though we are still young and can definitely improve in 6 weeks time. Then again, UCONN will only improve as well in the next 6 weeks.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I was hoping this was the year that we could be competitive, especially being played in Durham. Im less encouraged now... though we are still young and can definitely improve in 6 weeks time. Then again, UCONN will only improve as well in the next 6 weeks.

Hey triaddukefan!!!

What do you contribute Duke's miscues this season to? I was sure they were gonna be much tougher this season. With Gray and now Williams that is a heck of a inside out combo, but it just doesnt seen to be flowing like I thought it would!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hey triaddukefan!!!

What do you contribute Duke's miscues this season to? I was sure they were gonna be much tougher this season. With Gray and now Williams that is a heck of a inside out combo, but it just doesnt seen to be flowing like I thought it would!

1) Youth .... 4 sophomores and 1 Freshmen start. Our 5 sophomores all got meaningful time last year, but are still adjusting to new roles.

2) We miss our seniors more than we expected. Both UCONN games excluded, our seniors were tough as nails... particularly on the defensive side. Plus.... Jasmine Thomas was one of the best clutch players in college last year. With the game on the line... she played huge. No one has stepped into that role this year so far.

3) Poor Offensive strategy and execution.... just like it has for the past 4 years. I think Duke misses more easy layups then any team I've ever seen in my life.

4) Perimeter defense lacking.... rebounding.. inconsistent. poor free throw shooting killed us vs ND. Not having a senior guard starter hurt us vs Kentucky and handling the press when Gray went out with foul trouble.

But.... the season is only 9 games old.... and I think we will get better. It will be a battle between Miami, Duke, and Maryland for the ACC regular season title. I think Duke wins the ACC tourney... not sure if they will win the regular season though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom