duffy--The Future of the Four Guards… | Page 2 | The Boneyard

duffy--The Future of the Four Guards…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are guys still able to test the waters once? If so, Bazz should do that to at least get a feel for where he stands.

No, and with the new NCAA rules its basically you're either in or you're out because there is no more evaluation period for guys to work out in front of teams. Another example of the NCAA doing their best to look out for the athletes that line their pockets.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
It's crazy to say he can't improve his stock. To me it's just as crazy for the scout to say he's not a "leader" yet.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Father Time and a reaggrivated foot. You guys are confident on the strength of nothing. If he has the go from Ollie he should leave regardless.

I don't see anybody saying he shouldn't if he gets Ollie's blessing. But Ollie won't give his blessing if it doesn't look like Shabazz is gonna get a 1st round pick.

Reaction Score
Why is next years draft so much better than this year's ? Is this for guards only or what ? Seems like a big leap someone in the media is making

Reaction Score
Why is next years draft so much better than this year's ? Is this for guards only or what ? Seems like a big leap someone in the media is making

Better freshmen class next year=better draft, that difference of the first 5-10 picks being better is what can cause a late first rounder this year to possibly being an early 2nd rounder next year if their stock doesn't improve.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me how Bazz leaving as a junior is different than Khalid or Marcus? I always felt the latter two could have used an extra year in college (i.e. not NBA ready). As for getting picked its all about the team that selects you and their need. If they select you (best player available) yet have a guards on there roster, and more in the D-League then Bazz has to be something special to make the squad. Another year with true exposure would remove a lot of doubt and also would have teams with a point guard need really want him thus selecting him higher.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me how Bazz leaving as a junior is different than Khalid or Marcus? I always felt the latter two could have used an extra year in college (i.e. not NBA ready).

In my opinion, Marcus was ready and I'm still shocked he didn't turn into a good player (his own fault, mostly). I was fully expecting him to be a lower lottery pick and was astounded when the C's passed on him for Rondo.

In Khalid's case, the guy was already older, married, w/ at least two kids and from knowing him a bit while at UConn, he wasn't exactly there to get an education. He was catered to unlike many guys we've had. He was only playing college ball to make some $$ to support his family. Talent wise (or at least deficiency wise) Bazz and Khalid were pretty similar. Smaller guards w/ major balls who knew how to play but neither had a truly great skill set besides their hearts and their self-confidence.

Reaction Score
Shortest PG taken in 1st round was #29 Teague from Kentucky at 6'2" with remarks that had great body and very quick. Kid was 19 when taken. Not many guys under 6"5" drafted and even in 2nd round seems like draft is for bigger players. Lillard at 6'3" was only other player under 6'4" drafter 1st round. Bazz will be 22 in July. Teague measured 6'1" in bare feet (6'2" in sneakers).

Not sure I'm seeing NBA 1st round if the today Bazz were in the 2012 draft. The 2013 draft being lighter on talent, if the experts say its so, who am I to challenge (lighter than 2014, not sure about 2012). 8 freshman taken in 2012 draft.

Reaction Score

I'm pretty sure most people would agree that the trio of Wiggins, Parker, and Vonleh would all go higher than the top 3 players this year.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
If a player is projected as a top ten pick, then they can likely feel confident in being a guaranteed first round pick. If someone is projected by some sources as a late first-rounder, by some others as a second rounder and by still other sources as not drafted, then there is no way that player could be "guaranteed" to be a first round draft pick.
The history of the NBA draft is littered with kids who were convinced they were lottery picks and never got drafted.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Shortest PG taken in 1st round was #29 Teague from Kentucky at 6'2" with remarks that had great body and very quick. Kid was 19 when taken. Not many guys under 6"5" drafted and even in 2nd round seems like draft is for bigger players. Lillard at 6'3" was only other player under 6'4" drafter 1st round. Bazz will be 22 in July. Teague measured 6'1" in bare feet (6'2" in sneakers).

Not sure I'm seeing NBA 1st round if the today Bazz were in the 2012 draft. The 2013 draft being lighter on talent, if the experts say its so, who am I to challenge (lighter than 2014, not sure about 2012). 8 freshman taken in 2012 draft.
Very good point...the exceptions to this are few and far between and usually very talented (e.g. Chris Paul)

Reaction Score
I love Bazz but there have got to b a ton of more upside guys the nba scouts will drool over.

I am thinking selfishly but I don't see the upside-obsessed scouts ranking him that high. Gottlieb hates UConn and I wouldn't put it past him to want to influence Shabazz to go pro.

I also think tons of guys will figure this draft is weak and have the same idea, more than we'd expect.

Caveat:
I do not watch cbb anymore except us as someone that always pulled hard for the Big East.

Reaction Score
Shooting can always be improved. Being a dead eye shooter on a potential final four team next year will improve his stock leaps and bounds.

Reaction Score
Agree his stock can go up for sure on a real good team. I love Bazz!

Reaction Score
So there will a bunch of money waitin for him if he stays ? You can't state that as a fact.the idea of him being a late first rounder is his best option IMO. Land on the spurs or another contender. Then again he seems like the type to finish what he started here
IRRELEVANT. You don't leave early on the possibility of being a second round pick. Ever. Good Lord. The very idea is ridiculous

Reaction Score
Some of you are really selfish. I want Shabazz to come back just as badly as the next UCONN fan..but c'mon. This draft class is absolutely awful. Yes Shabazz can obviously get better next year, and he will. But the NBA draft is already based on athleticism and potential as it is. Shabazz does not really have either of those things going for him and it's not going to change a year from now. He will get better, but he wont get picked any higher next year. Just have to hope he does the right thing for himself. If he wants to come back that's great, if not good luck to him in the league.

Reaction Score

Embarrassing that a writer who follows the Huskies would try to encourage Napier to go pro. If anyone doesn't think Napier can move from a possible low level 2nd rounder to a 1 next year, you're mistaken. This draft is better than what he has purported. Its full to pick 40. You have multiple nice big men multiple PG's multiple PF and SG. So Napier would have to find his way past other PG's IMHO and that wont make it into round 1 this year IMHO.

Marcus Smart
Mike Williams
Trey Burke
Nate Wolters
CJ Mccolum
Erick Green
Lorenzo Brown

These 7 guys at a minimum will get drafted before Napier-- then buyers choice. This year is much much stronger than last year for PGs in fact its not close. ONLY 5 PGs were taken in last years draft! both rounds. this is a STRONG PG draft with a possibility there maybe as many as 5 PGs taken in the top 30.

Reaction Score
Don't forget all those players over seas that most people don't know about till draft day. I'd assume there's a few guards from euro who could be drafted before him this year.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Duffy's position is full of argumentative failures

1) of course Bazz can get better next year, that's what experience and coaching and becoming stronger are all about

2) you don't leave early because the draft is weak, you leave early because you're ready. I guess he never heard Jimmy talking about a player's most important contract, that would be his second contract

3) if you're not a 1st round lock, I would suggest almost a lottery pick, forgetaboutit

another example of journalistic fog

Reaction Score
IRRELEVANT. You don't leave early on the possibility of being a second round pick. Ever. Good Lord. The very idea is ridiculous

And yet it happens every year. Over and over. Posts like this are mystifying to me.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
And yet it happens every year. Over and over. Posts like this are mystifying to me.
What is rare is UConn players declaring before they're ready. Josh Boone comes to mind, not too many others. And please, no one say Hasheem.

Reaction Score
We should wait till March to weigh in on this issue . The preponderance of opinion from NBA scouts is the best measured opinion. However, a good career in Europe could translate into millions too like in the case of Rashad Anderson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom