duffy talks with AD about coach in waiting | The Boneyard

duffy talks with AD about coach in waiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have been saying this for awhile, Uconn's AD should think outside the box and choose Mr.C good ole friend and current CCSU mens basketball coach Howie Dickerman. I Would love to see him coach up some real talent! (no disrespect to the NEC I happen to have to had the privilage to walk on for him for a year)

Reaction Score
Not advocating age discrimination but do you realize that Howie Dickenman is only 4 years younger than JC?

Reaction Score
In a less rude way, i agree with fishy.. :)

I am advocating age discrimination - you would have to be a complete duck*ing moron to suggest Howie as JC's replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Manuel has made a conscious decision that his ego is more important than UConn's basketball program. He should be thinking of Ollie's appointment as the beginning of an extended interview in which he can pull the plug on Ollie at any time. Instead he is having a public, low intensity pissing match with the guy that biilt our athletic program, and most of the campus for that matter. Manuel is more concerned with how yhis looks than with making the smart move.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Manuel has made a conscious decision that his ego is more important than UConn's basketball program. He should be thinking of Ollie's appointment as the beginning of an extended interview in which he can pull the plug on Ollie at any time. Instead he is having a public, low intensity pissing match with the guy that biilt our athletic program, and most of the campus for that matter. Manuel is more concerned with how yhis looks than with making the smart move.

it's nice to know that you have access to his thoughts and motivations.

Reaction Score
The way i see this is UConn probably cant publicly name a coach in waiting or they just dont want too. Thats fine as long as the recruits that come to visit have an idea of the direction the school will go once Calhoun retires. Im sure thats question number one that every kid on an offical visit asks. Thats why Herbst probably wanted to meet with Facey. I still say its going to be KO and UConn cant officially say that but as long as the targeted recruits know, it shouldnt hurt recruiting all that much.

Reaction Score
Many to a few say the calhoun timeline has impacted them. I think xrm said it a few weeks ago

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
“(Recruits) know UConn has been great in men’s basketball because of coach Calhoun,” Manuel said. “That desire to be great is not going to change"

If I was a recruit this is how I think I would view the school. We're not going to just stop being a powerhouse. We might have a down year after calhoun but I think basketball is just too deep in tradition here and the building of the practice facility is only helping make it deeper.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I have been saying this for awhile, Uconn's AD should think outside the box and choose Mr.C good ole friend and current CCSU mens basketball coach Howie Dickerman. I Would love to see him coach up some real talent! (no disrespect to the NEC I happen to have to had the privilage to walk on for him for a year)

I could see Howie as Ollie's Blaney, if KO was the choice.

Reaction Score

Clearly you and Coach Dickerman were very good friends. What would you suggest they do with Kevin Allie if they made Dickerman HC?

Reaction Score
I could see Howie as Ollie's Blaney, if KO was the choice.

Not a bad idea at all. Given how young he is, he really should surround himself with experienced coaches like Calhoun has done. It benefited Calhoun so it would be huge for Ollie. As head coach, you are really more like a working manager. Great managers surround themselves with talented people.

Reaction Score
Other good "elder" coaches that Ollie's path has crossed which would make good associate coaches are Jim O'Brien (currently an assistant for the Mavs?), Bill Cartwright and Mo Cheeks (currently an assistant for the Thunder?). Mo Cheeks may still be a little young to want this type of gig though.

Reaction Score
I have to admit that I'm glad that manual has shown some guts and not given in to the pressure. If you are going to let recruits dictate who you head coach is going to be, you might as well give up now. I suspect that most kids don't really care, to be honest. they want to play in a powerhouse program, and frankly I imagine if a Shaka Smart took over it would take him about 15 seconds to close the deal with a bunch of these kids. I suspect that it is mostly AAU coaches who are making this noise so they can tell their friends that "I got Kevin Ollie the head coaching job at UConn."

Reaction Score
I have to admit that I'm glad that manual has shown some guts and not given in to the pressure. If you are going to let recruits dictate who you head coach is going to be, you might as well give up now. I suspect that most kids don't really care, to be honest. they want to play in a powerhouse program, and frankly I imagine if a Shaka Smart took over it would take him about 15 seconds to close the deal with a bunch of these kids. I suspect that it is mostly AAU coaches who are making this noise so they can tell their friends that "I got Kevin Ollie the head coaching job at UConn."

The "noise" was started by Jim Calhoun. He's not an AAU coach.

Reaction Score
Let's say the recent noise. Calhoun isn't picking his successor. Giving that power to a head coach disappeared when Paterno was fired. Manual knows that if he backs down and hires Ollie he will never have control of the athletic department again.

He wants to build his own legacy in all this too. And that ain't the way to do it. Because if Ollie fails, you can bet Jim Calhoun will be on a golf course in South Carolina. It will be manual backed down and made a dumb hire because he didn't have the guts to stand up to Calhoun. And if he succeeds, Calhoun'll be front row center taking the credit.

Reaction Score
You're right - Manuel can't make this decision simply based on what recruits are saying. He also shouldn't make it based solely on what Calhoun is recommending.

But if everyone is recommending the same guy, it's no longer just "noise." It also doesn't hurt Ollie that Susan Herbst thinks highly of him as well.

It may not be finalized before Calhoun officially calls it quits, but there's more than enough writing on the wall here.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If Manuel makes Ollie the HC when Calhoun steps down, than he is a bigger idiot than even I thought. If you are going to hire Ollie, why publicly embarrass Calhoun by ignoring his request and tie Ollie's hands in recruiting for 2 years?

For those thinking Manuel is showing backbone, get real. Backbone would be telling Calhoun it is time to hang it up and bringing in a new coach. Intelligence would be making Ollie coach in waiting and seeing how he does in recruiting with that title before handing over the reins of the program. Runaway ego is giving interviews where you basically tell the world that you won't be pushed around by Calhoun, but not really doing anything about a completely untenable coaching situation, and watching UConn's talent base rapidly deteriorate.

Reaction Score
Clearly you and Coach Dickerman were very good friends. What would you suggest they do with Kevin Allie if they made Dickerman HC?
Lets just say I have a lot of respect for him. He was a great man to me, I have very high praises for him and only wish coach Dickerman best.

Reaction Score
In a world where dreams come true and people suffer through great tragedy every day and sports should always be put in perspective in relation to health issues...I have 1 thing to say in all this. IF UCONN HAS A GOOD AND NOT EVEN GREAT RECRUITING CLASS (and I know what that means) FOR 2013-14 and BOATRIGHT & NAPIER return NEXT year then CALHOUN wins a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in his FINAL year of COACHING.

I was wrong when I picked UConn to win @ Syracuse this past year but that was my mulligan. The above will come to fruition IF that factual circumstance occurs. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH yes it will. MARK this post for the future!

Reaction Score
In a world where dreams come true and people suffer through great tragedy every day and sports should always be put in perspective in relation to health issues...I have 1 thing to say in all this. IF UCONN HAS A GOOD AND NOT EVEN GREAT RECRUITING CLASS (and I know what that means) FOR 2013-14 and BOATRIGHT & NAPIER return NEXT year then CALHOUN wins a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in his FINAL year of COACHING.

I was wrong when I picked UConn to win @ Syracuse this past year but that was my mulligan. The above will come to fruition IF that factual circumstance occurs. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH yes it will. MARK this post for the future!
In the mean time even though I think Missouri will be very good this year even Final 4 capable...I wouldn't be caught DEAD actually rooting for them (and hope they lose). I will stick to my fun dark horses this year to cut down the nets come March Madness. I have 3 great ones this year and 1 of them at this point isn't such a dark horse anymore.

Reaction Score
Let's say the recent noise. Calhoun isn't picking his successor. Giving that power to a head coach disappeared when Paterno was fired. Manual knows that if he backs down and hires Ollie he will never have control of the athletic department again.

He wants to build his own legacy in all this too. And that ain't the way to do it. Because if Ollie fails, you can bet Jim Calhoun will be on a golf course in South Carolina. It will be manual backed down and made a dumb hire because he didn't have the guts to stand up to Calhoun. And if he succeeds, Calhoun'll be front row center taking the credit.

Wow wtf are you watching? If KO were hired and he failed do you honestly believe JC would be golfing and outta Storrs for good? And if he did a great job and succeeded I believe you are correct, he would be front row and center but not taking credit but rather being a proud "father" to a kid he has loved throughout his Husky playing and coaching career. You're a bit twisted at times!!:confused:

Reaction Score
Other good "elder" coaches that Ollie's path has crossed which would make good associate coaches are Jim O'Brien (currently an assistant for the Mavs?), Bill Cartwright and Mo Cheeks (currently an assistant for the Thunder?). Mo Cheeks may still be a little young to want this type of gig though.

None of those guys are leaving NBA assistant coaching jobs to become college assistants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom