duffy on recruiting update | The Boneyard

duffy on recruiting update

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
even based on that write up, I don't see us really landing anyone else. Too bad cuz I was hoping Ollie would make a splash in recruiting even tho he "only" has his 1 year contract.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
even based on that write up, I don't see us really landing anyone else. Too bad cuz I was hoping Ollie would make a splash in recruiting even tho he "only" has his 1 year contract.
You don't see us landing anyone although we have two scholarships?

Reaction Score
You don't see us landing anyone although we have two scholarships?

I agree, why would a top kid pick uconn with so many moving variables .... i would be surprise ifbwe land anyone as highly ranked on duffy list...

Reaction Score
By giving Ollie only a 7 month trial, Manuel essentially put the program back 1 additional year at the very least. Until he is extended or another coach is hired, this program will not move forward. No program could. I do think, especially with Ollie here for the long-term, that once that is established we will see a major uptick it what type of players he is capable of bringing in.

Reaction Score
By giving Ollie only a 7 month trial, Manuel essentially put the program back 1 additional year at the very least. Until he is extended or another coach is hired, this program will not move forward. No program could. I do think, especially with Ollie here for the long-term, that once that is established we will see a major uptick it what type of players he is capable of bringing in.

I agree, but that is only 1/2 the issue

Reaction Score
Maybe, but you know what will really set the program back more than 1 year? Having a lousy coach under contract for 3 or 5 years...and if Ollie were given a 5 yea deal and couldn't actually coach, even f he were o get fired after 2 years, we'll likely be 3 years out of the recruting biz. And you know what caused us to miss out on this year? NCAA sanctions which fall at the feet of one James Calhoun...

Reaction Score
Maybe, but you know what will really set the program back more than 1 year? Having a lousy coach under contract for 3 or 5 years...and if Ollie were given a 5 yea deal and couldn't actually coach, even f he were o get fired after 2 years, we'll likely be 3 years out of the recruting biz. And you know what caused us to miss out on this year? NCAA sanctions which fall at the feet of one James Calhoun...

Would those be near the same feet which 3 NCAA Mens Basketball Championships fell?.........agree with the fact they couldn't hand over free money to a coach with no experience, but djct has a much more solid point. How can he be measured if the kids have no idea if he'll be the guy? Again, easy for me a salesman to close that business vs. my competition as I have definite answers!!!

Reaction Score

Sometimes coaches are fired.

Calhoun was an awful coach, you're right.

Reaction Score
Would those be near the same feet which 3 NCAA Mens Basketball Championships fell?.........agree with the fact they couldn't hand over free money to a coach with no experience, but djct has a much more solid point. How can he be measured if the kids have no idea if he'll be the guy? Again, easy for me a salesman to close that business vs. my competition as I have definite answers!!!

Pennywise, pound foolish. How much we talking here? He makes $600k? Give him a 3 year $1.5k contract, you lose $900k by firing him. or even a 2 year $1.2m contract, you lose $600k by firing him.

If Boatright leaves and Samuel is not ready to play next year, and the team has another 16 to 18 loss season, will the school lose more than $600k? Are they risking a multimillion setback?

caw

Reaction Score
There is always the chance Manuel extends Ollie before the spring signing period. Considering Vonleh and possibly Hamilton/Austin are planning on being spring recruits, keeping in contact is the important part. If Ollie can prove himself to Manuel by mid season he may have a much higher shot at these spring signees.

Reaction Score
Pennywise, pound foolish. How much we talking here? He makes $600k? Give him a 3 year $1.5k contract, you lose $900k by firing him. or even a 2 year $1.2m contract, you lose $600k by firing him.

If Boatright leaves and Samuel is not ready to play next year, and the team has another 16 to 18 loss season, will the school lose more than $600k? Are they risking a multimillion setback?
Pumpkinhead Warde Manuel(PHWM) could have given KO a 2-3 deal with buyouts. That way everybody is covered.

Recruits would have on face value thought KO would be here and if things didn't workout PHWM had a built in out.

Instead we can't recruit and everything is up in the air.

But as least HCPP will be here for a couple more years working his magic so we got that going for us :(

Reaction Score
Calhoun (Jim) is a great coach with 3 NC's & numerous e-8's. But, academically UConn is in a mess. If not for JC's outstanding record he would've been fired. Much like Bill Clinton would have been found guilty of purgury in the senate trial, but he was so popular with the public, the senate couldn't muster the 2/3ds vote.

Reaction Score
Calhoun (Jim) is a great coach with 3 NC's & numerous e-8's. But, academically UConn is in a mess. If not for JC's outstanding record he would've been fired. Much like Bill Clinton would have been found guilty of purgury in the senate trial, but he was so popular with the public, the senate couldn't muster the 2/3ds vote.

Fired for what......kids not doing their work? Ultimately it's his program but can he be everything seriously? Don't you think they needed a better academic advisor and structure.........not enough for a Major College hoops to worry about other than every day kids work......you don't think he ever checked, maybe it was too late and it's on him but not all.......he gets paid to win and win he did......let's call the university out for not supporting the staff the way others do not just JC...............guessing you believe Calipari knows what his kids are doing in class too......they held a 3.4 average as a team.......that's funny stuff

Reaction Score
Fired for what......kids not doing their work? Ultimately it's his program but can he be everything seriously? Don't you think they needed a better academic advisor and structure.........not enough for a Major College hoops to worry about other than every day kids work......you don't think he ever checked, maybe it was too late and it's on him but not all.......he gets paid to win and win he did......let's call the university out for not supporting the staff the way others do not just JC...............guessing you believe Calipari knows what his kids are doing in class too......they held a 3.4 average as a team.......that's funny stuff

Ted Taigen bad.
New counselor good.

Reaction Score
Academic advisors are fine at UConn, have been for years. Problem with UConn's academic status is plenty of recruits should not have been accepted. Mandledove, Smith on down. For a coach with a lesser record than Calhoun's, the guy probably gets fired. Nobody with 3 NC's gets fired unless your name is Bob Knight.
And that Calipari graduation rate will eventually catch up with him. Unfortunately, this report comes out every 6 years. Who knows where the squid will be in 6 years.

Reaction Score
Academic advisors are fine at UConn, have been for years. Problem with UConn's academic status is plenty of recruits should not have been accepted. Mandledove, Smith on down. For a coach with a lesser record than Calhoun's, the guy probably gets fired. Nobody with 3 NC's gets fired unless your name is Bob Knight.
And that Calipari graduation rate will eventually catch up with him. Unfortunately, this report comes out every 6 years. Who knows where the squid will be in 6 years.

I keep writing this to you, but you never respond. Calipari's graduation rate will never catch up to him. The NCAA's GSR is not a real graduation rate. One example: USF's GSR is 88%. Their grad rate is 0%. Kentucky can score a 100% even with multiple kids leaving and never coming back to finish their degree.

I also disagree with you about what got UConn into trouble. Whether or not students could handle the work is totally irrelevant since neither the APR or GSR measures either performance in the classroom or even graduation. The APR measures retention and eligibility. That's it.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Can someone with an academic background please explain to me why retention is so important? Serious question. I remember the dean's at UConn outside of athletics made a big deal of it as well. What am I missing?

Reaction Score
As upstater pointed out - it will never catch up to him. He has figured out the flaw in the system and is using it to his advantage.

Reaction Score

Wow I can see the NCAA's brain-washing has worked on you. Facts are, UConn had a rough patch academically in the mid to late 2000's, but they haven't had a problem for a few years. If the NCAA hadn't decided to slap UConn with a retroactive penalty, this "academic crisis" at UConn would be a non-story and would be acknowledging the academic success we've experienced in the past two years (and are likely to have again this year). If you want to hold Calhoun responsible for the tournament ban, that's a bit of a reach IMO. Sure, maybe he should have checked certain recruits academic profiles more thoroughly, but if he made any mistakes, he recognized them and corrected them in time to avoid any crippling punishment (under the old rules).

Calhoun had his shortcomings but UConn fans should direct their vitrol towards Walter Harrison and Mark Emmert.

Reaction Score
Can someone with an academic background please explain to me why retention is so important? Serious question. I remember the dean's at UConn outside of athletics made a big deal of it as well. What am I missing?

This is not the same thing as retention for the academic side.

This is a whole different measure.

Retention is important so that the class doesn't atrophy (i.e. $$$). In sports, that correlation isn't there. You want people graduating as well, you want alumni. But this is totally unrelated to retention as the term is used in admissions. This is an NCAA concept where each player gives his team 1 point for returning in the Fall, 1 point for returning in the Spring. Those points are then added up player by player, then divided by the maximum possible points, then multiplied by 1,000 to come up with the bogus APR.

Reaction Score
Also, if you're going to question the academic qualities of the players Calhoun brings in, then how can you celebrate the championships and the successes? With players such as Caron Butler and Khalid El-amin on those teams? Should he not have recruited these two? Last week we had a poster criticize Calhoun for AJ Price stealing laptops, as though recruiting middle class suburban kids whose parents are professionals, both with Ivy League degrees, is a clear danger signal.

Reaction Score
I keep writing this to you, but you never respond. Calipari's graduation rate will never catch up to him. The NCAA's GSR is not a real graduation rate. One example: USF's GSR is 88%. Their grad rate is 0%. Kentucky can score a 100% even with multiple kids leaving and never coming back to finish their degree.

I also disagree with you about what got UConn into trouble. Whether or not students could handle the work is totally irrelevant since neither the APR or GSR measures either performance in the classroom or even graduation. The APR measures retention and eligibility. That's it.
As I understand it, the coaches will be penalized, in the future, if the GSR is unacceptable. If so it will catch up with Calipari.
What happened to UConn, regarding APR & GSR, is guys like Darius Smith, Mandledove, Tice and many others were accepted into the University. In some cases like Smith & Tice they came into the program under desperation circumstances.
The class of Mandledove, the forward from England, Stixx, and 1-2 others from that year never graduated. Again, most of them never should've been accepted. A coach of lesser success than Calhoun would've been fired

Reaction Score
As I understand it, the coaches will be penalized, in the future, if the GSR is unacceptable. If so it will catch up with Calipari.
What happened to UConn, regarding APR & GSR, is guys like Darius Smith, Mandledove, Tice and many others were accepted into the University. In some cases like Smith & Tice they came into the program under desperation circumstances.
The class of Mandledove, the forward from England, Stixx, and 1-2 others from that year never graduated. Again, most of them never should've been accepted. A coach of lesser success than Calhoun would've been fired

Yonick, Kentucky's GSR is going to be just fine. The GSR does not relate to graduation. I'll say it again. USF graduates nobody, their grad rate is 0%. ZERO. But their GSR is 88%. Everyone is going to come into compliance with GSR because it is so easy to do so. It's a sham, a charade. But almost no one, including Duke (it graduates less than 50% of its players) is going to come within hair's-breadth of what would be considered decent graduation rates. Why? Because these kids in the spring hardly ever attend classes. At every school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom