Dude what? 17 boards? | The Boneyard

Dude what? 17 boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
9 points, 5 assists, 17 boards? That's outrageous. DHam had 4-5 shots that were - ALMOST - in the bucket. Good shot selection, just didn't fall.

OUTRAGEOUS stat.

This kid reminds me of Kemba in one particular way: I fell in love with their game the very first time I saw them play.

I really hope we have him more than 2 years, but he's going to be able to write his own ticket if he keeps this up.

Reaction Score
DHam is turning into an AA right before our eyes. When you think about it, with all our missed shots someone on our team has an opportunity to lead the nation in rebounding. (Sorry I know that was brutal, LOL).

Anyway KFree or Jeff would average almost 20 boards a game. Hopefully DHam will follow along their footsteps while adding clean up buckets.

Reaction Score
wow, didn't realize he had 17 boards.
Uconn played a nice 2nd half.
we need to beat smu and keep the good play going.
Dham definitely gonna be a real monster if he stays for next year.

Reaction Score
Really hope he stays another year!
He will be back next year for sure as he needs to develop his one on one game and shot before he can go. I only see one more year though for him at the rate he is playing now.

Reaction Score
Hamilton just understands how to play the game of basketball. He's a 6'7" playmaker, with very good perimeter skills... and is also leading the conference in rebounding during league play. In the three games since the loss at SMU, Hamilton is averaging 13.7 points, 13 rebounds, and 7 assists per game. There are very few players with the skillset to near a triple-double on a nightly basis. Hamilton will be a pro, no doubt about it.

I wonder how much of Hamilton's ability to create comes from Ollie's tutelage. Ollie worked with Kemba, Shabazz, and Boat, and all got markedly better as playmakers and scorers. Hamilton can be the same kind of playmaker from the wing as those guys, but with the advantage of being 6'7". Hamilton should definitely be coming back next year, as he needs to put on some weight. If he refines his skills like others in our program have, he could be a star for us as soon as next year. I'm really excited to have D-Ham in the UConn program.

Reaction Score
He's a smart basketball player, you see it in his rebounding. The little nuances required to be good at it, the hip check, the read of the ball coming off the rim, timing and really good hands. Love this kids game and effort, special recruit.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
How many of those 17 should have gone to Brimah? Ham is the only consistent rebounder, but he does get beat more than you'd think given his numbers.

Definitely picked it up in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
What stood out to me last night was how on more than one occasion he ripped a rebound away from Phil Nolan. His slight build makes you think he wouldn't be aggressive but he is ferocious. It's almost like he decided, "no one else wants to be a dominant rebounder so I guess I'll do it".

Reaction Score
Neill Ostrout ‏@NeillOstrout
Daniel Hamilton’s 17 rebounds were the most in a game by a UConn player since Alex Oriakhi had 19 against DePaul March 9, 2011.

Daniel Hamilton is the 10th freshman in UConn history to record 200 or more rebounds in a season.

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
UConn freshman Daniel Hamilton has grabbed 55 rebounds in his last five games. Excelling in a "DeAndre Daniels" type role for Huskies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
9 points, 5 assists, 7 boards? That's outrageous. DHam had 4-5 shots that were - ALMOST - in the bucket. Good shot selection, just didn't fall.

OUTRAGEOUS stat.

This kid reminds me of Kemba in one particular way: I fell in love with their game the very first time I saw them play.

I really hope we have him more than 2 years, but he's going to be able to write his own ticket if he keeps this up.
I wish he didn't have the permanent 'golly, gee' look but I guess I guess in time the killer will emerge.

Reaction Score
Brimah only played 18 mins because he can't stay on the floor even against crappy teams.

D Ham is the best and worst thing to ever happen to Brimah. Best to get him the ball close to the hoop. Worst because I really think Brimah thinks that's a real offense when we've seen it only works against teams with RPIs over 100 and undersized front courts. Brimah needs to develop a low block game, hopefully this offseason.

How many of those 17 should have gone to Brimah? Ham is the only consistent rebounder, but he does get beat more than you'd think given his numbers.

Definitely picked it up in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
I wish he didn't have the permanent 'golly, gee' look but I guess I guess in time the killer will emerge.

Its a better demeanor to have when you arent having a great night I think. His face doesnt change much depending on how he and the team are doing, I hate it when guys get visibly in their own head when they miss their first few shots.

I like to have a point guard who wears his heart on his sleeve, to provide the heart needed to motivate the team into playing in a frenzy. I also like to have a few of these stone-faced warriors who aren't going to let an inferior opposing player get in their heads or affect them at all. As long as we have a few guys on the team who will fire up the rest, its good to have some low key personalities

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
9 points, 5 assists, 17 boards? That's outrageous. DHam had 4-5 shots that were - ALMOST - in the bucket. Good shot selection, just didn't fall.

OUTRAGEOUS stat.

I think we may see a couple of triple doubles from DHam before he is done

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

OUTRAGEOUS stat.

Yes but he was a distant second to OC for the almost in the bucket stat!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
When you rebound the ball well, distribute the ball well, take care of the ball well, and play good defense you usually win a lot of games. DHam is 50% there!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Brimah only played 18 mins because he can't stay on the floor even against crappy teams.

D Ham is the best and worst thing to ever happen to Brimah. Best to get him the ball close to the hoop. Worst because I really think Brimah thinks that's a real offense when we've seen it only works against teams with RPIs over 100 and undersized front courts. Brimah needs to develop a low block game, hopefully this offseason.
AB absolutely needs to work on getting stronger. I wonder how much this kid is still getting comfortable with his body.

I would love to see AB have that ferocity and determination to get rebounds the way we saw DHam in this game or Bazz in several games last season or KFree and JeffA in the past.

But I can live with the combo of AB blocking shots or intimidating players in the interior to force teams to play on the perimeter as long as someone on the team does what DHam has been doing lately or Bazz and DD did last season. The shot blocker will often be out of position and thats fine as long as everyone else knows they have to help and can be successful doing it.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
DHam 17 rebounds at 195? How many rebounds at 215? at 225? Improves his range and handle. And not lose any quickness.... Scary good.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He doesn't HAVE to gain weight. He does have to get stronger. "Wiry strong" is good enough in hoops.

Some lower body strength to improve his explosion and balance is all he needs. It will help him on jump stops in the lane and squaring up for jump shots on the wing.

If the extra strength puts on 5 lbs, great. If there isn't any weight gain, so be it.

I don't think Hamilton sees 210lbs before he's 25 years old.

Reaction Score
He doesn't HAVE to gain weight. He does have to get stronger. "Wiry strong" is good enough in hoops.

Some lower body strength to improve his explosion and balance is all he needs. It will help him on jump stops in the lane and squaring up for jump shots on the wing.

If the extra strength puts on 5 lbs, great. If there isn't any weight gain, so be it.

I don't think Hamilton sees 210lbs before he's 25 years old.
Exactly. He may be slim but i have noticed he has very good muscle tone, at least in his arms. He's a good amount thicker right now than DD ended up being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom