DT Suspended | Page 3 | The Boneyard

DT Suspended

Reaction Score
You don't know what preceded it. But yeah, it definitely was a cheap shot.
I would like to see the 3 - 4 minutes prior to this foul. And if she was retaliating for something she should have done it facing her... not from behind.

Reaction Score
Nothing new here, Taurasi is always among the league leaders in technical fouls.

In this case, the league rescinded the technical and changed it to a a flagrant 2. She should have been kicked out of the game, but now they'll just kick her out of the next game.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
In this case, the league rescinded the technical and changed it to a a flagrant 2. She should have been kicked out of the game, but now they'll just kick her out of the next game.

So you're telling me that technically it wasn't a technical due to a technicality? :D

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yes he is. Don't be ridiculous.

I never said it was OK. I'm just not going to get worked up over it. And I think that edge is part of what makes her great.
no you're being ridiculous to assume he's great... he can be replaced, Westbrook, Durant, Curry, King James are great... shoot, even Harden can be considered great. Stewie DT Maya Sue are great... Cappie, Larkins, Dupree, Farris, can be replaced. Draymond isnt max money material, he's almost the 5th option on his own team. He's a solid replaceable guy

Reaction Score
Meh. This is D being D. Part of what has her on the Mt. Rushmore of women's basketball (not just UConn's).

She's like every other star player who's had an edge to them. Usually that edge is necessary to make them great. Think Draymond Green in the NBA today.

That was not someone playing with an "edge". Go get a seat on a courtside seat. These women play rougher than the men and very fast. What she did made no sense and the team doesn't look very strong so far this season. They need her on the court just playing basketball and leading the team.

Reaction Score
Yes he is. Don't be ridiculous.

Steph, Durant and Clay make him look better than he probably is. A good role player but not great.

I never said it was OK. I'm just not going to get worked up over it. And I think that edge is part of what makes her great.

Reaction Score
no you're being ridiculous to assume he's great... he can be replaced, Westbrook, Durant, Curry, King James are great... shoot, even Harden can be considered great. Stewie DT Maya Sue are great... Cappie, Larkins, Dupree, Farris, can be replaced. Draymond isnt max money material, he's almost the 5th option on his own team. He's a solid replaceable guy
Name me three 4 man who can "replace" what draymond does on BOTH ends of the court CONSISTENTLY. Don't worry I'll wait.

Kevin Love is NOT one btw. Just if you were considering him. Offensively maybe, defensively not even close. Can't wait to hear from you tomorrow when I get off work.

Reaction Score
This is too much fun for me at 2:33 am.

I'm assuming you're saying Stewie is a great WNBA player, right? If so, what has she done in the WNBA that makes you so quick to say she's a great, but cant say Draymond is a great NBA player? Draymond is a very good NBA player and by the end of his career I believe he'll be a great NBA player. He has GREAT energy on the floor (rarely shown in the NBA now), shows GREAT effort/hustle, and is a GREAT post defender (while being undersized). Future HOF imo. Once again, can't wait to hear from you.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This is too much fun for me at 2:33 am.

I'm assuming you're saying Stewie is a great WNBA player, right? Just out of curiousity what has she done in the WNBA that makes you so quick to say she's a great, but cant say Draymond is a great NBA player? Draymond is a very good basketball player and by the end of his career I believe he'll be a great. He has GREAT energy on the floor (rarely shown in the NBA now), shows GREAT effort/hustle, and is a great post defender. Future HOF imo. Once again, can't wait to hear from you.

Better have your head on a swivel...... I dont you want to get Taurasied up in this thread for that remark :eek:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Draymond will never be a star on any team... send him to the Sixers and lets see if we ever hear his name again.

Stewie isn't trade bait like Draymond could be

Reaction Score
Draymond will never be a star on any team... send him to the Sixers and lets see if we ever hear his name again.

Stewie isn't trade bait like Draymond could be
I don't waste time on what if scenarios that will never happen, sorry. Warriors will NOT trade Draymond. I expected more, you gave me less.

Reaction Score
I don't waste time on what if scenarios that will never happen, sorry. Warriors will NOT trade Draymond. I expected more, you gave me less.
Story of being a DWB fan under Joanne P.

Reaction Score
I would like to see the 3 - 4 minutes prior to this foul. And if she was retaliating for something she should have done it facing her... not from behind.
You don't need to see "3-4 minutes prior to the foul" for it to be evident that her actions were childish and unwarranted. But since I watched the ENTIRE game, I'll give you a brief synopsis of "3-4 minutes prior to this foul."

Diana was being played tight by Currie/Montgomery (both were switching on and off and playing very good D by the way). She got blocked on two plays, got stripped on another, and took a wild layup with her back to the net expecting the refs to call a foul (she pulls these stunts when things aren't going her way in the game; check game tape from last year if you don't believe me). Diana was visibly irritated when her defender didn't just let her waltz to the basket and actually played defence. During the play in question, there were a series of screens being set by the Stars, and on one of them, Hamby sets a screen which Diana tried to roll off of, and then proceeds to whack Hamby in the back of the neck out of frustration for being too slow to catch up with her man. I say this because there is no other explanation for why you would hit Hamby, who, up to that point, had no direct contact with Diana whatsoever. She then proceeds to whack Colson (?) near the face (and tries to play it off as inadvertent).

I am a MASSIVE fan of DT and her skill-set. Anyone who loves basketball will admire her dedication to the game. But unlike some people on here, I'm not willing to overlook her brash behaviour and mean-spirited actions on the court (that have become a pattern btw) just because she is a "UCONN great." Nonsense.

Reaction Score
And please let me add...IF THIS WERE ANYONE ELSEEE (i.e. Diggins, McCoughtry, Parker...who are all "greats" for their respective college fan bases) ohhhh man. You people would be asking for a 3-game suspension, lol. :rolleyes:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You don't need to see "3-4 minutes prior to the foul" for it to be evident that her actions were childish and unwarranted. But since I watched the ENTIRE game, I'll give you a brief synopsis of "3-4 minutes prior to this foul."

Diana was being played tight by Currie/Montgomery (both were switching on and off and playing very good D by the way). She got blocked on two plays, got stripped on another, and took a wild layup with her back to the net expecting the refs to call a foul (she pulls these stunts when things aren't going her way in the game; check game tape from last year if you don't believe me). Diana was visibly irritated when her defender didn't just let her waltz to the basket and actually played defence. During the play in question, there were a series of screens being set by the Stars, and on one of them, Hamby sets a screen which Diana tried to roll off of, and then proceeds to whack Hamby in the back of the neck out of frustration for being too slow to catch up with her man. I say this because there is no other explanation for why you would hit Hamby, who, up to that point, had no direct contact with Diana whatsoever. She then proceeds to whack Colson (?) near the face (and tries to play it off as inadvertent).

I am a MASSIVE fan of DT and her skill-set. Anyone who loves basketball will admire her dedication to the game. But unlike some people on here, I'm not willing to overlook her brash behaviour and mean-spirited actions on the court (that have become a pattern btw) just because she is a "UConn great." Nonsense.
British?

In any event, thank you for your synopsis. I am sure you are correct. A super star who has been covered tightly (and bumped and shoved and hit and undercut) since high school became frustrated because "her defender didn't just let her waltz to the basket and actually played defence."

Yep, Dee took a cheap shot, and is being punished for it but I strongly suspect that her thought process may have been just a bit a different.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
British?

In any event, thank you for your synopsis. I am sure you are correct. A super star who has been covered tightly (and bumped and shoved and hit and undercut) since high school became frustrated because "her defender didn't just let her waltz to the basket and actually played defence."

Yep, Dee took a cheap shot, and is being punished for it but I strongly suspect that her thought process may have been just a bit a different.
Yes I over exaggerated obviously, but I'm trying to make the point that this is basketball and she's a great offensive player; the opposing teams will have to guard her tightly. Every "star" on every other team has to undergo the same "shoving and undercutting", more or less, but no one reacts the way D does and as consistently as she does. She is not the first star and will not be the last. Someone brought up Maya earlier and how she reacts to being elbowed in the jaw, etc. Do you not see the point?

Yes, everyone has different personalities and won't react the same to being shoved, but still, come onnnnn. She needs to get a grip and keep playing for the sake of her teammates.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes I over exaggerated obviously, but I'm trying to make the point that this is basketball and she's a great offensive player; the opposing teams will have to guard her tightly. Every "star" on every other team has to undergo the same "shoving and undercutting", more or less, but no one reacts the way D does and as consistently as she does. She is not the first star and will not be the last. Someone brought up Maya earlier and how she reacts to being elbowed in the jaw, etc. Do you not see the point?

Yes, everyone has different personalities and won't react the same to being shoved, but still, come onnnnn. She needs to get a grip and keep playing for the sake of her teammates.
[Shrug]
As I posted previously, there is a ton of extra curricular activity in pretty much every sport (golf, tennis, bowling and hurling being the probable exceptions that come immediately to mind.) It's just how it is. Likewise, supremely competitive people like Diana, are going to take umbrage to it. They are going to stake out their turf and if people overreach, they'll let them know. I just see this shove, and really that all it was, not a punch, not a play that was going injure another player or potentially shorten their career (and those happen, all too frequently), as pretty typical and, as noted by Mercury management, has gone less severely punished in others. Respectfully, and not aimed at you specifically, I just don't see this to be 'war crime' that others do.

But I will say this, it's tough to say I love Dee's competitiveness but don't like her chippy play. It's all part of the DT package.

I freely admit that Dee is one of my all time favorite Huskies, and I enjoy her play and personality, so I might be seeing the world in national flag blue colored glasses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom