DT Suspended | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DT Suspended

Reaction Score
You don't know what preceded it. But yeah, it definitely was a cheap shot.

Your right but still the greats USUALLY retaliate with going off for 40. No doubt she's a great player but no need for any forearm shivers ha.

I don't watch enough WNBA to say if this kinda stuff happens yearly. I'm really just commentating on this one clip.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Your right but still the greats USUALLY retaliate with going off for 40. No doubt she's a great player but no need for any forearm shivers ha.

I don't watch enough WNBA to say if this kinda stuff happens yearly. I'm really just commentating on this one clip.

Looks just like a screen to me.... no reason for a punk move to retaliate. Bet your bottom dollar she wouldnt have done that to Monique Currie :cool: or a few others.

Reaction Score
Looks just like a screen to me.... no reason for a punk move to retaliate. Bet your bottom dollar she wouldnt have done that to Monique Currie :cool: or a few others.

I was going to say that I have never seen Monique or Lindsey Whalen smile but I actually did see Lindsey crack a smile the other night for the first time in memory. LOL

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I watched the first half. A SA player kept bumping into DT as soon as the game started and DT looked bothered by it. She got her shot blocked a few minutes before the Tech foul. Earlier she threw up a wild shot in the lane with her back to the basket.

Having a bad day?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I watched the first half. A SA player kept bumping into DT as soon as the game started and DT looked bothered by it. She got her shot blocked a few minutes before the Tech foul. Earlier she threw up a wild shot in the lane with her back to the basket.

Having a bad day?

And I thought getting married was supposed to mellow people :rolleyes:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
And if was Griner or Diggins doing that it would be torches and pitchforks around here. I don't need a paradigm that excuses a forearm to the back of the head if you are a good enough player.
thanks... and "chippy" wouldn't be use neither

Reaction Score
Post-wedding blues!!!
Wondering if this will hurt our recruitment as we go forward. And I'm adding this as one more reason why she would not be sitting on Uconn's coaching bench. The first reason became obvious when she brought a beachfront condo in Calif. Yet, having married Penny we could be geeting 2 for 1. See the equation? Penny: Diana as Chris: Geno! Just musing.

Reaction Score
About the marriage mellowing people line. Her head isn't in the game, that's pretty obvious right now, but I'm not sure I'd be any different if I just got married and had to start the season less than 24 hours later. She said she was really disappointed the W season started earlier than usual, so instead of a honeymoon it's a team trip without her wife.

On topic of the F2 foul, it was totally unnecessary. As was the additional shove she gave to Colson (I believe) after the forearm push at Hamby. I keep looking for a statement from the Phoenix coaching staff but found nothing so far.

On a selfish note, (I am a Dee fan, just to clear my bias lol) I was especially looking forward to this Tuesday NY game because she had a chance to break or tie Katie Smith's 3-point record with Smith in the building. It would have been a cool storyline, anyway.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
thanks... and "chippy" wouldn't be use neither
Ha ha, maybe or maybe it would be since Nan took away the "T" word.

Regardless it is tough to judge based upon one clip. I remember the Griner punch (much worse obviously) probably her Soph. year at Baylor. She looked like a psychopath until you saw that the girl guarding her had done everything to her but harvest an organ. Yeah, she was still in the wrong but it gave context to what happened.

Everyone here who has played a sport will tell you that there is a whole lot of extracurricular activity that takes place. It usually is a little more subtle.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
About the marriage mellowing people line. Her head isn't in the game, that's pretty obvious right now, but I'm not sure I'd be any different if I just got married and had to start the season less than 24 hours later. She said she was really disappointed the W season started earlier than usual, so instead of a honeymoon it's a team trip without her wife.

On topic of the F2 foul, it was totally unnecessary. As was the additional shove she gave to Colson (I believe) after the forearm push at Hamby. I keep looking for a statement from the Phoenix coaching staff but found nothing so far. On a selfish note, (I am a Dee fan, just to clear my bias lol) I was especially looking forward to this Tuesday NY game because she had a chance to break or tie Katie Smith's 3-point record with Smith in the building. It would have been a cool storyline, anyway.
I don't think you are being selfish in the least. I'm also not buying this no honeymoon/I'm mad at the league either. For a person who decided to take off an entire season, missing the first few games of the season should have been no big deal because many players missed the first few games still playing over seas.

Reaction Score
There was plenty of "bully" in DT at UConn, don't get it twisted. We call it "swag", there is nothing to apologize for. Enjoy the entire DT package & stop throwing shade. The full package is what makes DT the GOAT.

Saw the video, the first being a love pat, the second showing the real forearm hit that drew the foul. I would hope that this doesn't indicate frustration from depleted ability, falling short of her expected athletic skills. If Taurasi is a punching bag, not getting fouls because of her world-class status, that could get me mad. And being the go-to player, with the ball in her hands or going hard for rebounds the law of averages says she will get hit more. Does that or has that beaten her down? She has worn the best-ever crown with class forever and it will take more than a one-game suspension for me to lose faith and hope for the jock from Chino who has brought women's basketball so much transcendent joy and acclaim.

Reaction Score
I don't know the circumstances surrounding her 2 flagrant fouls, so I can't speak to whether she was being an "enforcer" or "defending" her teammates. But it's a stupid decision that hurts the team. If Phoenix wants to lose, and go for the top pick next year, then fine. But if they want to win, having your star get herself suspended is selfish and foolish.

So now, not only is she suspended for 1 game, but IIRC, get 7 technicals and she will also be suspended for another game. She already has 2? Not smart.
adult
I do disagree with those who say it tarnishes her GOAT while at UConn. The holy trinity is Stewie, Maya and Dee. People can talk about their professional careers, but none of that diminishes what they did in College. At UConn, all 3 were unmatched in what they did...

While I agree with much of what you say---DT is a full grown, approaching if not Middle aged, she is what she is going to be and has been. I assume she knows all the consequesnce you have addressed and apparently accept them as the cost of that which she is doing.

But thank you for the DT, Maya, Stewie (I'll add--every other kid that played at Uconn) have earned our respect for that which they accomplished for us at Uconn. You cannot take that away from them.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
File this under "speculation", if not "wild speculation": is the reduced size of the WNBA roster a (very) minor factor in this sort of retaliation. Let me make my case - again, not an excuse for throwing cheap shots, but a case for why DT, and not somebody else, administered a cheap foul.

What you don't see much anymore, in NBA, WNBA, NHL, or anywhere else, frankly, is an enforcer. Somebody who's job it was to retaliate if somebody on the opposition was out of line. Even in MLB, pitching inside these days is fraught with warnings, ejections, and other over-dramatics - Bob Gibson and Don Drysdale would not do well in today's game. But, back to my hypothesis: WNBA rosters are so short that, you can't devote a spot to somebody who, if things get chippy, will go in their and administer a couple of "attention-getting" hard fouls, reminding the foe that, they too have a star that can be banged around.

If a DT, Maya, or whomever, can get pushed, pulled, and pawed around - and, if the officials let it go, and there isn't a "Bam-Bam" or similarly-respected physical player on your roster to play sheriff - then, the choices are, a) take the physical play or b) retaliate on your own.

Again, this is not an excuse for DT - she was wrong. It's an exploration as to why she felt that she had to do what she did, if there was, in fact, any rational or other available path - and, does the short roster restrict the available paths.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
She has worn the best-ever crown with class forever and it will take more than a one-game suspension

Depends on your definition of class I suppose...

upload_2017-5-22_18-55-39.png

Phoenix Mercury unhappy over Diana Taurasi suspension

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

Regardless it is tough to judge based upon one clip. I remember the Griner punch (much worse obviously) probably her Soph. year at Baylor. She looked like a psychopath until you saw that the girl guarding her had done everything to her but harvest an organ. Yeah, she was still in the wrong but it gave context to what happened.

Everyone here who has played a sport will tell you that there is a whole lot of extracurricular activity that takes place. It usually is a little more subtle.
I wanted to use the T-word and make comparison to the other players who are normally called the "T-word" but I know they get alerts when I post something smh :eek:

Reaction Score

I watched a Lynx game a few years ago and someone inadvertently (?) hit Maya right in the jaw.

She felt her jaw for a few seconds but didn't lose her composure and kept right on playing.

The game was more important than the contact.

Another reason why I think she's the best basketball player on the planet at this moment (and that includes Steph, LeBron, Harden and Westbrook etc. etc.).

Reaction Score
Meh. This is D being D. Part of what has her on the Mt. Rushmore of women's basketball (not just UConn's).

She's like every other star player who's had an edge to them. Usually that edge is necessary to make them great. Think Draymond Green in the NBA today.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Meh. This is D being D. Part of what has her on the Mt. Rushmore of women's basketball (not just UConn's).

She's like every other star player who's had an edge to them. Usually that edge is necessary to make them great. Think Draymond Green in the NBA today.
Draymond is NOT great!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

So acting like a punk and delivering a cheap shot to the back of a young mother's head is ok.... because she's a star?

what a time.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom