DT Suspended | The Boneyard

DT Suspended

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 6 minutes ago
WNBA said that ex #UConn star Diana Taurasi will be suspended for Tuesday's game at New York due to Flagrant 2 foul against San Antonio

I'm a little confused by this PHO played SAN on Friday. DT had 1 PF during the game (8:09 of the 2nd, not a technical) for giving a little forearm to a SAN player. It really did not look too extreme. Play continued immediately. It must have been something else, but what? I don't know.

Last edited:

psconn

Reaction Score
Found it: 4:09 of the 2nd Taurasi punches or forearms Hamby in the back of the head. Totally on purpose, stupid, and an example of why I can't be an all-in DT fan since she left UConn. She's got a lot of bully in her.

Ok, DT apologists... go for it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Found it: 4:09 of the 2nd Taurasi punches or forearms Hamby in the back of the head. Totally on purpose, stupid, and an example of why I can't be an all-in DT fan since she left UConn. She's got a lot of bully in her.

Ok, DT apologists... go for it
There was plenty of "bully" in DT at UConn, don't get it twisted. We call it "swag", there is nothing to apologize for. Enjoy the entire DT package & stop throwing shade. The full package is what makes DT the GOAT.

Reaction Score

Ok, DT apologists... go for it.
Thats DT Being DT----she'll never change--I wouldn't be too sure something happened earlier or to another on DT's team---she has been known to wait almost 40 minutes to get the one that harmed her. She has a high justice quotient ..

Reaction Score
There was plenty of "bully" in DT at UConn, don't get it twisted. We call it "swag", there is nothing to apologize for. Enjoy the entire DT package & stop throwing shade. The full package is what makes DT the GOAT.
Since day one at Uconn there have been things about DT I didn't like--but I would never call her a bully---an enforce, if you hurt her or a team mate--look out. Is that a bully?? I guess, in some cases my banana is someone elses apple! DT is aggressive in all avenues of life.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't know the circumstances surrounding her 2 flagrant fouls, so I can't speak to whether she was being an "enforcer" or "defending" her teammates. But it's a stupid decision that hurts the team. If Phoenix wants to lose, and go for the top pick next year, then fine. But if they want to win, having your star get herself suspended is selfish and foolish.

So now, not only is she suspended for 1 game, but IIRC, get 7 technicals and she will also be suspended for another game. She already has 2? Not smart.

I do disagree with those who say it tarnishes her GOAT while at UCONN. The holy trinity is Stewie, Maya and Dee. People can talk about their professional careers, but none of that diminishes what they did in College. At UCONN, all 3 were unmatched in what they did...

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Since day one at UConn there have been things about DT I didn't like--but I would never call her a bully---an enforce, if you hurt her or a team mate--look out. Is that a bully?? I guess, in some cases my banana is someone elses apple! DT is aggressive in all avenues of life.
I'd call it "chippy" play. Believe me she was on the receiving end of more than her share.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Diana has taken a lot of physical abuse in her career, but I don't like the cheap shots that she dishes out. I think it makes her less of a player and less of a fan favorite. When she is under control, I love her and her game. When she is out of control, she hurts herself and the game.

psconn

Reaction Score

And if was Griner or Diggins doing that it would be torches and pitchforks around here. I don't need a paradigm that excuses a forearm to the back of the head if you are a good enough player.

psconn

Reaction Score
Back in early days at the Mohegan Sun, every basket ex-UConn opponents like Bird and Taurasi would score resulted in a big cheer from the Sun crowd regardless of score or game situation. I recall DT absolutely laying out 5'6" Jamie Carey on a pick play with completely unnecessary violence and then standing over her like the famous Cassius Clay/ Sonny Liston knockout photo, celebrating the hit. Jamie had a long and well known history of concussion problems in college and the pros and that put her out of the game, as I recall. The crowd (appropriately and surprisingly) erupted in boos. I stopped being a DT apologist that moment.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And if was Griner or Diggins doing that it would be torches and pitchforks around here. I don't need a paradigm that excuses a forearm to the back of the head if you are a good enough player.

Pitchforks would be appropriate for Griner & Diggins because they did not go to UCONN & you darn well we don't use torches unless absolutely necessary. :p
You might not need a paradigm, but that was the best I could do (without getting banned) when responding to someone who popped off with:
"Ok, DT apologists... go for it."

Were you not expecting any responses?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I'd call it "chippy" play. Believe me she was on the receiving end of more than her share.

That's a bush league play pure and simple. It wasn't that violent but definitely crossed a couple of lines as it was directed to the head in a manner that was in no way a part of any basketball play.

"Love the sinner, hate the sin" as it were.

If she keeps 'sinning' like that she deserves to sit out games.

Re: UCONN heritage, of course that's where my "love the sinner" philosophy comes from with DT but if anything, I would expect that same heritage to make people here *less* tolerant of these kinds of cheap shots , not more.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score

By my standards DT is the most accomplished basketball player to come through the UConn Women's program. That's hard to argue against. But part of her "full package" is what also make her-- on occasions-- a jerk. You might want to try to find a balance between her talent and her character, but talent does not excuse bad behavior. You don't "swag" someone in the back of the head.

psconn

Reaction Score
Pitchforks would be appropriate for Griner & Diggins because they did not go to UConn & you darn well we don't use torches unless absolutely necessary. :p
You might not need a paradigm, but that was the best I could do (without getting banned) when responding to someone who popped off with:
"Ok, DT apologists... go for it."

Were you not expecting any responses?

I totally expected responses, and correctly surmised that some would be from folks somehow defending or minimizing her unacceptable actions. Also, I expected some without National Flag Blue glasses on (I'm looking at you Triad) see this behavior from DT and sum the matter up succinctly. "Great player. punk move".

Happy and mildly surprised to see so many agree.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
By my standards DT is the most accomplished basketball player to come through the UConn Women's program. That's hard to argue against. But part of her "full package" is what also make her-- on occasions-- a jerk. You might want to try to find a balance between her talent and her character, but talent does not excuse bad behavior. You don't "swag" someone in the back of the head.
I found that balance with DT long ago. It was exactly that "balance" that compelled me to respond. She can be a jerk and the hit to the back of the head was dead wrong. Inbalance would be recalling things that she did at UCONN 15 ago and lumping it with this incident.

CL82

Reaction Score
That's a bush league play pure and simple. It wasn't that violent but definitely crossed a couple of lines as it was directed to the head in a manner that was in no way a part of any basketball play.

"Love the sinner, hate the sin" as it were.

If she keeps 'sinning' like that she deserves to sit out games.

Re: UConn heritage, of course that's where my "love the sinner" philosophy comes from with DT but if anything, I would expect that same heritage to make people here *less* tolerant of these kinds of cheap shots , not more.
Don't disagree. I was talking about Dee's play in general and not this play in particular.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I totally expected responses, and correctly surmised that some would be from folks somehow defending or minimizing her unacceptable actions. Also, I expected some without National Flag Blue glasses on (I'm looking at you Triad) see this behavior from DT and sum the matter up succinctly. "Great player. punk move".
Happy and mildly surprised to see so many agree.
Got it. You were only expecting responses that agree with you. BTW I agree with @triaddukefan, @Papa33 , & @VAMike23.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
It's a flagrant foul, yes. No doubt of it. But it's not assault with intent. No homicide noted at this point. There's nothing new here, nor anything that diminishes how I feel about D.

Reaction Score
Often I have called DT during her UConn career, Maya, Stewie--Ping pong balls---more like billiard balls being banged, bumped, bounced, pushed, pulled, jabbed, ABUSED--all because the opponents couldn't beat them with talent or effort--took the bad easy way--and it worked once, maybe twice--but not always---Poor Maya-33 points against ND--but bounced and banged to exhaustion--lost her final game.

CL82

Reaction Score
Listen that is a punk/dirty play.

I think there's a difference playing with intensity ( Jordan) and playing dirty( green, rodman etc). For such a great player it's kinda weird for her to pull that chit on the court.
You don't know what preceded it. But yeah, it definitely was a cheap shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom