Drummond's performance today | The Boneyard

Drummond's performance today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Did he look a little lost today?? Sure, he got a few blocks and hustled down the court but he did not seem to be in the overall flow of the game. I thought he was going to be more of a low post scoring threat but he's getting beat up by less than stellar players. If this keeps up, the Big East schedule will not be kind to him and AO will get his playing time. Hopefully as he matures, he'll live up to the pre-college hype. Best of luck, Andre.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
we got the W... he'll get better I'm not worried with stats, more about the teams performance and if they develop... I'm not worried about our freshmen being on par with uk or unc or whoever

Reaction Score
Ticky Tac fouls early - no play well - play tentative.
No Ticky Tac fouls early - play well - play aggressive.

Solution - Do not get Ticky Tac fouls early.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The rebounding numbers look a little ugly, but the boxscore is fibbing a bit.

Arkansas' bigs had a ton of offensive rebounds, but they didn't really do much damage with those second chances.

Outside of Young, who is just terrific, Arkansas was basically shut down.

Calhoun will be happy with the win - first, because they really did play pretty well and second, because he'll be able to hammer those rebound numbers in practice.

caw

Reaction Score
AD changes other teams flow on offense by being out there with his blocked shot potential. Offensively, he made a few nifty passes as well. He needs to slow down a bit though on offense in the post, he rushes a bit. I would also like to see the guards try to set up easier scoring opportunites for him.

Reaction Score
I think the physcial play caused him to be off his game. He really needs to improve his shot even right next to the basket as it is uglier than AO's and I didn't think that was possible. He will be fine as he matures as he has the athletic talent.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Andre's playing like a Freshman Thabeet. Very similar stats but the fouls are under better control (maybe). Andre needs to add a little better footwork, a great unstoppable stuff when under the basket, and a few more blocks a game and that's about all expect out of him as a frosh. Something close to Okafor and Thabeet.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Ticky Tac fouls early - no play well - play tentative.
No Ticky Tac fouls early - play well - play aggressive.

Solution - Do not get Ticky Tac fouls early.
That about sums it up I think. It definitely seems like when he can avoid the early fouls he gets in the flow of the game more.

C

Chief00

Typical of freshmen. They don't play well when they pick up early fouls. Relax ---no story here. He will be a great player.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I think the physcial play caused him to be off his game. He really needs to improve his shot even right next to the basket as it is uglier than AO's and I didn't think that was possible. He will be fine as he matures as he has the athletic talent.

I agree with this. In addition to the foul trouble, he did not look comfortable with the banging against the wide-bodies of Arkansas. He needs to learn to be constantly fighting for position to rebound...he was often slow to get to where he needed to be to rebound. He needs to discover that he can dominate even against heavyweight opponents if he gets to the spot and holds his ground. He has amazing ability to get off the ground quickly and he has better hands than our other bigs. If he can get even decent position, he could put up some really big rebounding numbers.

Reaction Score
Andre's playing like a Freshman Thabeet. Very similar stats but the fouls are under better control (maybe). Andre needs to add a little better footwork, a great unstoppable stuff when under the basket, and a few more blocks a game and that's about all expect out of him as a frosh. Something close to Okafor and Thabeet.
Uh, Andre's playing a lot better than freshman Thabeet. I don't think you really remember how bad Hash was that year. AD is miles ahead offensively, for one thing.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Did he look a little lost today?? Sure, he got a few blocks and hustled down the court but he did not seem to be in the overall flow of the game. I thought he was going to be more of a low post scoring threat but he's getting beat up by less than stellar players. If this keeps up, the Big East schedule will not be kind to him and AO will get his playing time. Hopefully as he matures, he'll live up to the pre-college hype. Best of luck, Andre.
He will improve leaps and bounds by march. I really like Andre as a person, seems like a great kid, but i really feel sorry for him at the FT line...looking at his eyes, he looks terrified!

Reaction Score
Since the start of the year we've seen highs and lows from DD, AD, AO, Roscoe and Giffey. Think we just need to give the team some time to come together. The great thing is we have all the pieces and with Lamb and the point guards - we'll always have a chance in every game.

Reaction Score
I think he is still in adjustment mode. The pace and talent he faces sure is not high school level. I think if Alex can get going AD will have better games. I thought that Alex (with his experience) would be a big man coach on the floor, helping to direct and teach AD. But Alex right now has his own issues to address. Our whole frontcourt is actually in the adjustment phase of learning their roles.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Uh, Andre's playing a lot better than freshman Thabeet. I don't think you really remember how bad Hash was that year. AD is miles ahead offensively, for one thing.

But is it translating to results at the stat line? Not yet.

I do think Andre can do in 2 years what Hash and Emeka did in 3 years. The skills are there in spots. Too early to expect double doubles out of him every game and the season gets much tougher in a month.. Andre is certianly more graceful than early Thabeet.

Reaction Score

Andre has a lot to learn but there's no question what the end result will be. His athletic ability is remarkable and even when not posting numbers people aren't scoring on the blocks with him around, again even without blocking it. He is gifted no doubt but now he has to transition learning to actually be a "big man in college" vs being the big man in prep. Every once in a while he regresses into the kid who could make stelas down the other end because he was so much better or reaching off the hedge and getting away with it. Now there's 3 guys in stripes and you need to be sure not to make these mistakes. Fouls, if any at all, need to be in an aggressive nature blocking shots or putbacks etc.. But hey he's a kid and there will be games where he's going to make mistakes. So much harder for big men to find their way consistently at this level........he's going to be fine and that pain of sittng because of a stupid reach will hit home and those tenedencies will go away. Glad he's on our team!!!

Reaction Score
The one shot he has to develop is a running hook.

That baseline jumper is not what he should be going to as a primary move, certainly not at this point.

Reaction Score
But is it translating to results at the stat line? Not yet.

I do think Andre can do in 2 years what Hash and Emeka did in 3 years. The skills are there in spots. Too early to expect double doubles out of him every game and the season gets much tougher in a month.. Andre is certianly more graceful than early Thabeet.

Emeka had a lot of it down toward the middle of his second year. We expected big things from him but he started his third year with a banged back and really was a shadow of his second year self until January. Emeka actually had a decent repertoire of moves after his first year, spin moves, hooks with both hands, drop back jumpers, etc. Hasheem never really developed an offensive game like that.

I'd like to see Drummond work on a hook more.

Reaction Score
In fairness to Thabeet, he really improved his dunk in the years he was here.

Reaction Score

I don't think that AO has developed a "shot" yet.

Very often, IMO, if he is out of position to dunk, then he puts up something that is difficult to describe.

Can't we bring in a retired Big Guy to work him?

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
Andre's pre talent report was he's raw. That's very true, and he's playing like it. Ky's frosh are mostly 1 and done's. With mostly frosh it's nearly impossible to win a NC.
Drummond will be back next year with only Lamb moving on, IMHO. If we don't repeat this year, we should be the favorites for next year.

Reaction Score
He will improve leaps and bounds by march. I really like Andre as a person, seems like a great kid, but i really feel sorry for him at the FT line...looking at his eyes, he looks terrified!
Same here. He seems like such a genuine, humble person who is grateful for his physical skills. I just hope success doesn't get to his head, like plenty of other players. (Even Tebow!)

Reaction Score
All that being said, and I agree with a lot of it, I still think we look more confident and have a better offensive flow when AD is in the game as opposed to AO. The other 4 being Olander, Lamb, Boatright, and SN...with DD or RS switching with Lamb or SN at times or AO or NG coming in for Olander. In certain situations I like AO and AD on the floor together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom