Drummond | The Boneyard

Drummond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
31 points, 19 rebounds, 6 steals today in 33 minutes. Of course, also 7/18 from the line. If he can just get that to a level that is not a complete embarrassment, he will be other worldly in a couple of years.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Won't be long before he's an all-star. Kid is still so young.

Reaction Score
15 years from now, Drummond could be the best NBA player UConn produced. Its scary how good he could be.

Reaction Score
15 years from now, Drummond could be the best NBA player UConn produced. Its scary how good he could be.

Produced? We never really got to know him. Let's take credit where credit is due.

Reaction Score
Just imagine how good this year's team would be with him at the five!

He's the exact kind of player we could use on this team. He's a top 3 rebounder in the world and protects the rim with the best of them. I'd say we'd be the #1 team in the country if we had Drummond.

That being said, we don't have him, but we still have a very good squad. Plus, with the new rules leading to a lot of fouls/foul shots.... well, at least Drummond would get a lot of practice.

Reaction Score
So what the hell is Kentucky going to say? We never produced any players?
we bash Kentucky all the time for this, saying their players don't really count. so which is it?

Reaction Score
we bash Kentucky all the time for this, saying their players don't really count. so which is it?

What do you mean? I've never read that on this board.

I've read people bashing Kentucky for being a factory of one and dones. I don't think people ever said Kentucky can't be credited for producing pros.

Reaction Score
31 points, 19 rebounds, 6 steals today in 33 minutes. Of course, also 7/18 from the line. If he can just get that to a level that is not a complete embarrassment, he will be other worldly in a couple of years.

According to nba.com, he is the first player since Hakeem Olajuwon in 1990 to record 31, 19, and 6.

Reaction Score
What do you mean? I've never read that on this board.

I've read people bashing Kentucky for being a factory of one and dones. I don't think people ever said Kentucky can't be credited for producing pros.

A lot of people make that argument, and while I generally think it's ridiculous to completely dis-credit a coach for producing a one and done, there are definitely varying degrees of difficulty when it comes to molding a high school kid into a pro. I don't know what that conversion factor is, necessarily, but I think if LeBron James is a one on the scale, a Hasheem Thabeet type player (hopelessly raw in spurts his freshman year) is probably an eight or a nine or maybe higher depending on your opinion. Just as long as the credit allotment is consistent (i.e., don't dis-credit Calipari for producing John Wall and embellish Calhoun's development of Drummond), there is an interesting discussion to be had and I don't think there are many better than Calhoun.

Reaction Score
A lot of people make that argument, and while I generally think it's ridiculous to completely dis-credit a coach for producing a one and done, there are definitely varying degrees of difficulty when it comes to molding a high school kid into a pro. I don't know what that conversion factor is, necessarily, but I think if LeBron James is a one on the scale, a Hasheem Thabeet type player (hopelessly raw in spurts his freshman year) is probably an eight or a nine or maybe higher depending on your opinion. Just as long as the credit allotment is consistent (i.e., don't dis-credit Calipari for producing John Wall and embellish Calhoun's development of Drummond), there is an interesting discussion to be had and I don't think there are many better than Calhoun.

Well, then, Syracuse loses credit for Carmelo--which leaves them with nothing. So, fine with me.

Reaction Score
who are the true centers in the east who are better this year? I mean true centers and not chris bosh stretch 4s who may be listed as a center in the lineup. I'm a little out of the loop in the NBA this year, so just curious.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
who are the true centers in the east who are better this year? I mean true centers and not chris bosh stretch 4s who may be listed as a center in the lineup. I'm a little out of the loop in the NBA this year, so just curious.

The obvious answer is Roy Hibbert who has really transformed himself and his game in to a dominant guy. After that? Meh.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Some of the things he does physically look eerily similar to Daryl Dawkins. Absolute genetic freaks who can go beast mode and nothing you can do about it.

Fortunately is looks like Andre has more drive and determination than DD.

Reaction Score
The obvious answer is Roy Hibbert who has really transformed himself and his game in to a dominant guy. After that? Meh.

when you look at them head to head stats wise it's tough to argue that drummond isn't the better player though. It would also seem drummond is a more valuable team defender with his athleticism. No question Hibbert is a better half court offensive player and drummond is better on the fast break. I think points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks combined are about a wash. FG percentage is much higher for drummond though and defensively I think he is more effective from the fairly limited viewing I have done of both players over the years. I would say at this point the players would be even from an allstar perspective with Drummond getting the edge as the season progresses. Obviously in a couple years it won't even be close unless drummond completely stops progressing.

Reaction Score
when you look at them head to head stats wise it's tough to argue that drummond isn't the better player though. It would also seem drummond is a more valuable team defender with his athleticism. No question Hibbert is a better half court offensive player and drummond is better on the fast break. I think points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks combined are about a wash. FG percentage is much higher for drummond though and defensively I think he is more effective from the fairly limited viewing I have done of both players over the years. I would say at this point the players would be even from an allstar perspective with Drummond getting the edge as the season progresses. Obviously in a couple years it won't even be close unless drummond completely stops progressing.

You will not find a bigger Drummond fan than me, but Hibbert has been better than Drummond this year. Drummond is absolutely elite at what he does well: rebound the basketball and take high percentage shots. He will also be an elite defender down the line, and hopefully will develop a more polished offensive game; he certainly has all the necessary tools to be a dominant player in the league.

But as of now, Hibbert is probably DPOY and is the second best player on arguably the best team in basketball. Drummond will get there, and I love games like tonight's, but Hibbert gets the All-Star nod over Drummond unless Andre starts putting up games like tonight with some regularity.

Reaction Score

"We" don't get to make that choice.......it would seemt he kids being recruited do and they always say "Coach Cal gets them to the league baby..." so we'll stay with "we produced" on Andre!! LOL

Reaction Score
Hibbert also shoots 76% from the line. But he's from GTown so he sucks regardless.

Reaction Score

Hibbert is a much better defender than Drummond, which is what you would expect considering Drummond's inexperience. There isn't a C that is better than defending the paint and specificially the rim area than Hibbert right now.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hibbert is more polished and versatile right now. He's a good passer out of the post, he can spot up from the elbow and has a better feel for the game.

That being said Andre is progressing nicely. He's virtually a double double guarantee and it's easy to see him averaging 20 and 12 within the next year.

Reaction Score
Hibbert is a much better defender than Drummond, which is what you would expect considering Drummond's inexperience. There isn't a C that is better than defending the paint and specificially the rim area than Hibbert right now.

From what I have seen drummond gets in passing lanes and gets a lot of deflections in addition to blocking shots. I don't see hibbert do much besides stay near the basket and block a few shots per game of which a lot end up going out of bounds or back to the opposing team and aren't really that valuable. from a half court team defense perspective I might prefer drummond and clearly from a transition defense perspective I would take drummond as he will rarely ever get beat down the court by the opposing center. So I wouldn't say that Hibbert is a much better defender when you consider the overall half court defense and transition defense. Shot blocking he has an edge though. I think Hibbert would be more valuable to a bad or decent team to become good or very good because he is an offensive post presence that can open up outside shots. I think a good or very good team would want drummond because he can impact the game in just about every way without having the ball in his hands and compliments star guards and forwards extremely well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom